Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 223
Re: trading places...continued
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2015 05:12

swiss
dgiorr
swiss
Anyway.

It's so interesting to consider the similarities and points of divergence between these two seminal bands...

What would Mick be able to handle, musically and thematically--seems like nothing too lyrical, nothing too emotionally honest, nothing too intellectual (tho he's somewhat intellectual, or at least thoughtful or intellectually curious, as a person), nothing too complex, nothing too "weird" or psychedelic or "silly" (so I'd suggest he wouldn't be able to sing "I Am the Walrus"). Anything the Beatles write that's cynical, Mick could handle.

Whoever suggested "Street Fighting Man" for John--spot on!

Musically, the Paul songs are more up Mick's alley, but the cynicism and sarcasm of John's lyrics are a better fit--so I can't agree with stanlove that any of them could sing anything written by anyone. These are first-tier artists whose songwriting and singing reflects who they are--not just notes or words strung together.

I think it's diverting and interesting, as a Stones' fan, to consider, for example, the fact that Keith could sing and do a great job with "Julia" or "Here Comes the Sun," and Mick just could not. That neither Paul nor John could do justice to "Angie." That John, in the right mood, could have spit poison into "Satisfaction" that would have worked in its own way, but in a way that Mick is too cool and detached to do himself. Even "Brown Sugar" - Paul would not touch it; John is too passionate to sing it right--it requires the strange dispassion of a Mick for it not to be hateful.

This thread--or what it was before being plowed into a 72-page amalgamation of OT: Beatles mess--has been a fun exercise that's served to underscore further for me just how nigh on impossible it is for Mick to be emotionally honest/vulnerable, and that Keith can and does "go there." I'm bummed this thread has been shoved into a Times Square of other posts, but will come back later and finish my take on what Stones songs John (and maybe Paul) would have done well...

I'd love to hear more of other people's thoughts. This is the kind of discussion I would want to be having around a table at a bar, actually.

- swiss

Several really great responses to my "Trading Places" post (which got moved into this one - why? I'd hoped to keep the topic separate), and swiss's here is just fantastic, putting into words some thoughts I had half-formed but couldn't improve on.

I particularly like the analysis of why Mick wouldn't touch some of John's songs.

"Under My Thumb" and "Run for Your Life" are two misogynist-themed songs from the same timeframe, and I cannot imagine swapping singers on those two, yet can't figure out why. Maybe the malevolent threats in RFYL ("let this be a sermon, I mean everything I said / baby I'm determined that I'd rather see you dead" ) are offset by the jaunty melody, and with the Mick/Stones treatment would sound just too dangerous.

Kind of ironic that, especially at that point in his life, Lennon was much more, in real life, about putting a woman "in her place" than I think the real Jagger ever was, and yet the UMT lyrics wouldn't have sounded "right" coming from John.

BV generally condenses threads when they are obviously redundant, OT, or...if someone reports the thread, which could be surmised happened here (tip of hat to Olly for reintroducing the word to my lexicon).

OK...I am thinking (as said just above) that John's lyrics and temperament are "hotter," more fiery/passionate, than Mick's. There's a ubiquitous emotional distance/dispassion to Mick's lyrics (and delivery). Mick can be almost coldly sociopathic in some songs, and I can't think of one song where he's out of control of his emotions--or admitting to it--his vulnerability being a crux or main point of the song (think "Mother"). John can move himself to enraged unhinged un-reason. Dignity, and not losing face, is important to Mick (i.e., or his songwriting persona). He can sing about squashing someone like a bug, dispassionately. John wouldn't and couldn't. The closest I can think of that John comes to "remove" is--maybe--in Girl, when he sings "When you say she's looking good/she acts as if it's understood/she's cool." But still, there's an edge--he's resentful, but grudgingly impressed.

Mick can be bitchy, coldly cutting, and mean. John not so much. Even "Sexy Sadie"--starts out trying to more or less sort of objectively narrate this person's sins and ills foisted on others--but soon moves to John vitriol "Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet/However big you think you are!" And in general, John is more of pissed-off, restless, and heading toward primal scream temperament cuz it FEELS good to vent spleen and let loose (think, even, of his singing on "Rock and Roll Music"). In sharp chilling contrast--Mick singing "Now you’ve got your diamonds-and you will have some others/but you’d better watch your step, girl/or start living with your mother.”
However big you think you are"

He's so cold...like an ice cream cone.

- swiss

but beautiful tho'!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 9, 2015 05:21

treaclefingers
swiss
dgiorr
swiss
Anyway.

It's so interesting to consider the similarities and points of divergence between these two seminal bands...

What would Mick be able to handle, musically and thematically--seems like nothing too lyrical, nothing too emotionally honest, nothing too intellectual (tho he's somewhat intellectual, or at least thoughtful or intellectually curious, as a person), nothing too complex, nothing too "weird" or psychedelic or "silly" (so I'd suggest he wouldn't be able to sing "I Am the Walrus" ). Anything the Beatles write that's cynical, Mick could handle.

Musically, the Paul songs are more up Mick's alley, but the cynicism and sarcasm of John's lyrics are a better fit--so I can't agree with stanlove that any of them could sing anything written by anyone. These are first-tier artists whose songwriting and singing reflects who they are--not just notes or words strung together.

I think it's diverting and interesting, as a Stones' fan, to consider, for example, the fact that Keith could sing and do a great job with "Julia" or "Here Comes the Sun," and Mick just could not. That neither Paul nor John could do justice to "Angie." That John, in the right mood, could have spit poison into "Satisfaction" that would have worked in its own way, but in a way that Mick is too cool and detached to do himself. Even "Brown Sugar" - Paul would not touch it; John is too passionate to sing it right--it requires the strange dispassion of a Mick for it not to be hateful.

This thread--or what it was before being plowed into a 72-page amalgamation of OT: Beatles mess--has been a fun exercise that's served to underscore further for me just how nigh on impossible it is for Mick to be emotionally honest/vulnerable, and that Keith can and does "go there." I'm bummed this thread has been shoved into a Times Square of other posts, but will come back later and finish my take on what Stones songs John (and maybe Paul) would have done well...

I'd love to hear more of other people's thoughts. This is the kind of discussion I would want to be having around a table at a bar, actually.

- swiss

Several really great responses to my "Trading Places" post (which got moved into this one - why? I'd hoped to keep the topic separate), and swiss's here is just fantastic, putting into words some thoughts I had half-formed but couldn't improve on.

I particularly like the analysis of why Mick wouldn't touch some of John's songs.

"Under My Thumb" and "Run for Your Life" are two misogynist-themed songs from the same timeframe, and I cannot imagine swapping singers on those two, yet can't figure out why. Maybe the malevolent threats in RFYL ("let this be a sermon, I mean everything I said / baby I'm determined that I'd rather see you dead" ) are offset by the jaunty melody, and with the Mick/Stones treatment would sound just too dangerous.

Kind of ironic that, especially at that point in his life, Lennon was much more, in real life, about putting a woman "in her place" than I think the real Jagger ever was, and yet the UMT lyrics wouldn't have sounded "right" coming from John.

BV generally condenses threads when they are obviously redundant, OT, or...if someone reports the thread, which could be surmised happened here (tip of hat to Olly for reintroducing the word to my lexicon).

OK...I am thinking (as said just above) that John's lyrics and temperament are "hotter," more fiery/passionate, than Mick's. There's a ubiquitous emotional distance/dispassion to Mick's lyrics (and delivery). Mick can be almost coldly sociopathic in some songs, and I can't think of one song where he's out of control of his emotions--or admitting to it--his vulnerability being a crux or main point of the song (think "Mother" ). John can move himself to enraged unhinged un-reason. Dignity, and not losing face, is important to Mick (i.e., or his songwriting persona). He can sing about squashing someone like a bug, dispassionately. John wouldn't and couldn't. The closest I can think of that John comes to "remove" is--maybe--in Girl, when he sings "When you say she's looking good/she acts as if it's understood/she's cool." But still, there's an edge--he's resentful, but grudgingly impressed.

Mick can be bitchy, coldly cutting, and mean. John not so much. Even "Sexy Sadie"--starts out trying to more or less sort of objectively narrate this person's sins and ills foisted on others--but soon moves to John vitriol "Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet/However big you think you are!" And in general, John is more of pissed-off, restless, and heading toward primal scream temperament cuz it FEELS good to vent spleen and let loose (think, even, of his singing on "Rock and Roll Music" ). In sharp chilling contrast--Mick singing "Now you’ve got your diamonds-and you will have some others/but you’d better watch your step, girl/or start living with your mother.”
However big you think you are"

- swiss

but beautiful tho'!

Oh, yes, indeed! I grew up loving the vulnerability of the Beatles (John and Paul in their different ways) and the self-protected cool remove of the Stones (Keith and Mick in their different ways).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-09 11:17 by swiss.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 07:56

Sexy Sadie is about the Maharishi.

Date: November 9, 2015 07:57

Turner68

yup...

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 9, 2015 11:08

swiss
Turner68

yup...

I think that trip to India was a big mistake. According to Geoff Emerick, the long time Beatles engineer, the mood in the band had worsened considerable when they came back and gathered in the studio to record the White Album. Especially John Lennon seemed to be angry and frustrated most of the time, and a lot of his lyrics on that album reflects his state of mind, Sexy Sadie being one of those. It got so bad that Emerick left the recordings, sick and tired of the endless arguing in the band.

Date: November 9, 2015 11:14

Svartmer
swiss
Turner68

yup...

I think that trip to India was a big mistake. According to Geoff Emerick, the long time Beatles engineer, the mood in the band had worsened considerable when they came back and gathered in the studio to record the White Album. Especially John Lennon seemed to be angry and frustrated most of the time, and a lot of his lyrics on that album reflects his state of mind, Sexy Sadie being one of those. It got so bad that Emerick left the recordings, sick and tired of the endless arguing in the band.

I blame the drug abuse. But the White Album is remarkably good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-09 11:17 by Turner68.

Date: November 9, 2015 11:43

Turner68
Svartmer
swiss
Turner68

yup...

I blame the drug abuse. But the White Album is remarkably good.

Agreed - remarkably good!

Myriad other things were going on with them individually and as a group in 1968 besides drugs and the Maharishi.

Someone made the point of John not being able to sing blues, as Mick does. I can absolutely picture John singing Prodigal Son, Shake Your Hips, or Love In Vain to pick 3 at random--not copying the Rev Robert Wilkins, Slim Harpo, or Rbt Johnson--not affecting American black inflections.

Another random thought--wonder whether John could have sung "Heaven"? (sidebar: Did Mick really come up with the concept/bones of "Heaven"? it has such a opiated/mescaline-y vibe...is this one of those songs Keith started, invented the gist of it, but which Mick crafted the lion's share of it?)

- swiss

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2015 18:11

I received my Beatles +1 Deluxe package yesterday - I forgot that USPS now delivers on Sundays!!!

Anyhow, it's a beauty - still sealed, so will have a proper unveiling tonight! thumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 9, 2015 18:44

Here's a bit on one of Lennon's guitars beuing sold.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 9, 2015 21:35

looks like it's nov. 1968.

[41.media.tumblr.com]

Date: November 9, 2015 21:47

Hairball
I received my Beatles +1 Deluxe package yesterday - I forgot that USPS now delivers on Sundays!!!

Anyhow, it's a beauty - still sealed, so will have a proper unveiling tonight! thumbs up

how was it!? i'm trying to decide between getting it now, or asking for it for x-mas.

Date: November 10, 2015 03:04

Turner68
Hairball

how was it!? i'm trying to decide between getting it now, or asking for it for x-mas.

As I type, it's still not tonight where I live - only late afternoon/early evening here in SoCal.smoking smiley
Unfortunately the full unveiling/listening/viewing experience will have to be postponed. I have a some friends coming over to watch Monday Night football, and I know it will be a dud... Chicago (2-5) vs. San Diego (2-6). But with the possibility of San Diego moving up to the L.A. area, we're attempting to get in the vibe with a few beers, etc. GO L.A. CHARGERS!!!! drinking smiley

But I will unseal it right now....

It's visually and physically a beauty of a DVD sized package A bright red cardboard sleeve (as seen in links posted) protects the inner contents which is literally a hardback book. Opening the book are the two dvd's on the left inner cover. Following that is apprx. 100 pages of detailed info. for each video and song along with loads of photos (fortunately there's more text than photo's). The inner back cover contains the cd. Having multiple copies of this and that can sometimes be redundant, but this new package with restored videos and remastered tunes takes it beyond rehashing the same old stuff. Without even watching or listening, I'm already 100% satisfied. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 03:08 by Hairball.

Date: November 10, 2015 03:42

Now I know what Santa can bring me.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 10, 2015 21:33

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 10, 2015 21:46

Very nice Deltics.................

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 10, 2015 22:25

Which Band won?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 11, 2015 00:40

swiss
dgiorr
swiss
Anyway.

What would Mick be able to handle, musically and thematically--seems like nothing too lyrical, nothing too emotionally honest, nothing too intellectual (tho he's somewhat intellectual, or at least thoughtful or intellectually curious, as a person), nothing too complex, nothing too "weird" or psychedelic or "silly" (so I'd suggest he wouldn't be able to sing "I Am the Walrus" ). Anything the Beatles write that's cynical, Mick could handle.

- swiss

OK...I am thinking (as said just above) that John's lyrics and temperament are "hotter," more fiery/passionate, than Mick's. There's a ubiquitous emotional distance/dispassion to Mick's lyrics (and delivery). Mick can be almost coldly sociopathic in some songs, and I can't think of one song where he's out of control of his emotions--or admitting to it--his vulnerability being a crux or main point of the song (think, for contrast, John in "Mother" ). John can move himself to enraged unhinged un-reason. Dignity, and not losing face, is important to Mick (i.e., or his songwriting persona). He can sing about squashing someone like a bug, dispassionately. John wouldn't and couldn't. The closest I can think of that John comes to "remove" is--maybe--in Girl, when he sings "When you say she's looking good/she acts as if it's understood/she's cool." But still, there's an edge--he's resentful, but grudgingly impressed.

Mick can be bitchy, coldly cutting, and mean. John not so much. Even "Sexy Sadie"--starts out trying to more or less sort of objectively narrate this person's sins and ills foisted on others--but soon moves to John vitriol "Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet/However big you think you are!" And in general, John is more of pissed-off, restless, and heading toward primal scream temperament cuz it FEELS good to vent spleen and let loose (think, even, of his singing on "Rock and Roll Music" ). In sharp chilling contrast--Mick singing "Now you’ve got your diamonds-and you will have some others/but you’d better watch your step, girl/or start living with your mother.”

- swiss

lmfao. Lots to digest in these posts, some great stuff. Agree with most of it. I too can't imagine the reason someone would report a post like this trading places one.....unless they had an extreme dislike of John Lennon or something, probably the guy who shows up like clockwork to bash anything Lennon related. A clear misuse of the report function and a waste of Bjornulf's time, imo. But also clearly an issue out of my jurisdiction.

swiss, you mention "I can't think of one song where he's out of control of his emotions--or admitting to it--his vulnerability being a crux or main point of the song" and while I agree it's very rare, I would argue that he get's pretty damn close with Let It Loose. One of the reasons I think it's one of the favorites of so many people on this board and elsewhere. There is some of it in songs like Sway, I Got The Blues and Moonlight Mile too, also favorites of many. Coincidence?

It's been so long since we got a truly emotion and vulnerable performance from Mick, I don't really know what it would even look like in 2015. I always go back to Let It Loose to prove to myself that it's possible and always hope that the "next" record will give us a glimpse of the mans passion and emotions. The worst is when the lyrics alone try to convey emotional vulnerability but the vocal performance assures you that it's all an act. True sincerity is tough to fake.

Date: November 11, 2015 00:49

Come On
Which Band won?

Herman's Hermits.

Date: November 11, 2015 04:26

Herman's Hermits? Did not Herman win? Who came in second - Freddie and the Dreamers?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 11, 2015 04:46

Deltics

If KRLA Beat rocks your boat, then this archive will render you senseless with bliss.

[krlabeat.sakionline.net]

saki has lovingly assembled a complete archive in .pdf format - and with a little help from this friend it's mainly searchable.

(Looks like the image Deltics found was "borrowed" from saki's archives?)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 11, 2015 05:14

As someone who grew up in the Los Angeles area (Santa Monica), it's very cool to see that KRLA Beat article.
As a two year old at the time, I might have seen it and been influenced by it! .smiling smiley
Beatles and Stones - two best bands in the world! thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 11, 2015 08:32

Deltics
Come On
Which Band won?

Herman's Hermits.

Si, I thought so...No Milk Today either...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 11, 2015 13:55

CaptainCorella

I "borrowed" it from another site that "borrowed" it!
Thanks for the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 14:10 by Deltics.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 11, 2015 21:28

Deltics
CaptainCorella

I "borrowed" it from another site that "borrowed" it!
Thanks for the link.

Much in the same way Led Zeppelin "borrowed" other people's songs.

(Ok, ok, that was totally uncalled for and OT, I'll go crawl in a hole for about an hour now)

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Date: November 12, 2015 00:08

Just noticed this in the "Penny Lane" video.

At 1:11
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 01:31 by Deltics.

Date: November 12, 2015 00:49

Nice! Stones-Beatles linked for eternity haha! thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2015 01:09

Svartmer
swiss
Turner68

yup...

Odd, innit, considering that trip about peace...

Date: November 12, 2015 01:37

GasLightStreet
Svartmer
swiss
Turner68

yup...

there was a lot going on then, as i think swiss pointed out... the band's personal relationships, the drugs, and the thing that they all identified as being the biggest issue - brian epstein's death. it's not reasonable to blame the trip or any one thing in isolation.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 12, 2015 01:58

Turner68
GasLightStreet
Svartmer
swiss
Turner68

yup...

there was a lot going on then, as i think swiss pointed out... the band's personal relationships, the drugs, and the thing that they all identified as being the biggest issue - brian epstein's death. it's not reasonable to blame the trip or any one thing in isolation.

Lennon also soon to divorce his wife Cynthia in favor of Yoko. Lennon morphed into 'John & Yoko' and that would imo drive a nice wedge between him and the others.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:15

What wedge grinning smiley Ringo's face tells it all

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home