Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Linda Ronstadt Book
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:32

Just got Simple Dreams from the library.
VERY well done
Gram Parsons fans will enjoy some new insights.
Late Bloomer, Aquamarine, you'll like reading real rock history from a woman's point of view.

Re: OT: Linda Ronstadt Book
Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:04

saw the expcert on her going out with jim Morrison, every time u read something on Morrison he comes across looking pretty bad, but hey I miss him and I play at least one doors song every day

Date: September 25, 2013 03:51

Linda and Morrison were not "involved." He was drunk every time she was around him.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:56

Love both Linda and Gram, will definitely be checking this one out--thanks for the tip. smiling smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 25, 2013 05:18

I am really interested in Linda Ronstandt's book. I adored everything about her when I was young and I still do, now that I'm not as young. smiling smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 05:29

latebloomer
I am really interested in Linda Ronstandt's book. I adored everything about her when I was young and I still do, now that I'm not as young. smiling smiley

Same here. Pure class and beauty - inside and out.
I will be purchasing this book soon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2013 07:01

I adore Ronstadt, too. Such a pure, emotive voice. She's one of the greats for sure.

Date: September 25, 2013 07:08

The more I read of this book, the more I like it. It's the real story of how LA and numerous musicians were in the early 70's. And the emphasis is on MUSIC.
It's one of the best books I've read about popular music ever.

Not that long but wonderfully written from her gut.

Date: September 26, 2013 00:02

stonesrule
The more I read of this book, the more I like it. It's the real story of how LA and numerous musicians were in the early 70's. And the emphasis is on MUSIC.
It's one of the best books I've read about popular music ever.

Not that long but wonderfully written from her gut.

Not surprising. Linda was never the type to air out dirty laundry, or gossip. One of the things I was always so impressed with is her intelligence. Not that I expected her to be an airhead, but she's really, really bright, articulate and insightful. She never seemed to fit that rock chick persona - I know she has spoken about abusing cocaine, but she seemed incredibly straight.
No wonder Mick, and many other rockers at the time, were charmed by her. I imagine she carried herself as a woman who demanded respect from these guys.
She was different, which is why I doubt she slept with Mick - he probably respected more her for it..lol
stonesrule, does she mention Mick? I look forward to reading about her encounters with Gram Parsons, Morrison etc..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 00:13 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: September 26, 2013 00:20

Sadley there was an article in the local paper this week saying the book covers up to but not including her being stricken with Parkinsons which has left her with canes and can not sing anymore.

Have seen her three times from her first to last tour, always a treat, and love to strum and sing a couple of her more obscure tunes.

Date: September 26, 2013 00:23

He's mentioned in passing only.

The thing that I love about this book is that she was...is a true musician and you really get the inside of what she wanted...was learning...or admired. I can't recall any "chick" of that time who was more dedicated to her sense of work and desire to improve.

The first time I met her was when she was newly arrived in LA...I wrote her off as "cute girl" in cutoff jeans with good voice." I almost felt ashamed as I read this book...I especially enjoyed her feeling for Sinatra songs and her work with Nelson Riddle.

If anyone's looking for lots of sex and private life stuff," they needn't bother.
She writes very well and handles it all in a classsy way.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 26, 2013 00:32

Huh,

Did any of you know that Linda took a one million dollar payday for playing
Sun City - South Africa back in the apart. days - lost all respect for her when
I read that - MLC Rod Stewart too...

Date: September 26, 2013 00:38

Gram left the Byrds instead of playing there. Quite a contrast...

Date: September 26, 2013 01:03

stonesrule

The thing that I love about this book is that she was...is a true musician and you really get the inside of what she wanted...was learning...or admired. I can't recall any "chick" of that time who was more dedicated to her sense of work and desire to improve.

The first time I met her was when she was newly arrived in LA...I wrote her off as "cute girl" in cutoff jeans with good voice." I almost felt ashamed as I read this book...I especially enjoyed her feeling for Sinatra songs and her work with Nelson Riddle.

If anyone's looking for lots of sex and private life stuff," they needn't bother.

I'm in awe....
I only got to discover her through my older sister's albums...
She was the catalyst to opening up my musical horizons -
In 1979, I developed a girl-crush on Linda,
and it was she who turned me on to the Stones.
So if it hadn't been for Linda, I don't know if I would have discovered the Stones on my own.

Date: September 26, 2013 01:06

MCDDTLC
Huh,

Yes, and she got plenty of grief for that...there were many artists who played Sun City, including Tina Turner etc...
I remember Paul Simon defending Linda, saying she was a friend and criticized those throwing stones at her.
Nothing is ever that simple and she has since become very politically outspoken...
and it was a long ass time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 01:08 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 1, 2013 20:26

stupidguy2
MCDDTLC
Huh,

Yes, and she got plenty of grief for that...there were many artists who played Sun City, including Tina Turner etc...
I remember Paul Simon defending Linda, saying she was a friend and criticized those throwing stones at her.
Nothing is ever that simple and she has since become very politically outspoken...
and it was a long ass time ago.

Stupid Guy - long time ago or not - she knew what was going on in South Africa
at the time - bottom-line - she went for the payday - simple as that
NO respect - and for any of the others who did the same - back then - MLC

Posted by: Des ()
Date: October 1, 2013 20:57

Looking back what I read is there seem to have been two camps of thought, the Paul Simon vs. Van Zandt sides. One side (Pauls) appears to have looked at it as music should not be a pawn in politics, share the worldly experience of music and maybe it will be a better place for it. Yes they were paid well and that does cloud the issue, but that was what they were offered and if you are to try to make a difference one must do it through the channels, in this case a promoter with bucks. Then the VZ camp that felt one should not appear to support the apart.

Both noble appraoches, sad the folks that chose to share the beauty of music with all folks are now slammed for the smaller sidebar issue of payment.

I applaud both sides as the stir helped promote the cause anyway.

Date: October 1, 2013 22:23

Des
Looking back what I read is there seem to have been two camps of thought, the Paul Simon vs. Van Zandt sides. One side (Pauls) appears to have looked at it as music should not be a pawn in politics, share the worldly experience of music and maybe it will be a better place for it. Yes they were paid well and that does cloud the issue, but that was what they were offered and if you are to try to make a difference one must do it through the channels, in this case a promoter with bucks. Then the VZ camp that felt one should not appear to support the apart.

Both noble appraoches, sad the folks that chose to share the beauty of music with all folks are now slammed for the smaller sidebar issue of payment.

I applaud both sides as the stir helped promote the cause anyway.

And it was easier for someone like SVZ to make such a clear-cut choice...he was a marginal solo artist at best. The chances of him getting an invite that massive was zero. I love SZV's album that year..but it's easy to make a stand when you're not even invited to the party.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 2, 2013 12:09

MCDDTLC
Huh,

Not to get too political but what about those who did the USA in "those days".

Date: October 2, 2013 13:36

They should not have played there. Saying one shouldn't mix music and politics only becomes credible if you're performing and you choose not to pick up the paycheck, imo.

Getting paid from regimes like that is in no way as noble as SVZ's initiative.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 2, 2013 15:42

DandelionPowderman
Gram left the Byrds instead of playing there. Quite a contrast...

From what I read that was more due to he didn't want to quit hanging out with the Stones to go, not as much of a political stance.

In fact I think that's about the time he started to fall out of favor with the Stones due to his work ethic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-02 15:44 by kovach.

Date: October 2, 2013 15:50

He had just met Keith and the Stones. This was 67/68.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 2, 2013 19:55

leteyer
MCDDTLC
Huh,

Interesting point. Wonder if the Stones, Beatles, other Brit Invasion groups played to segregated audiences in the South in 64/65?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 2, 2013 20:11

24FPS
leteyer
MCDDTLC
Huh,

Interesting point. Wonder if the Stones, Beatles, other Brit Invasion groups played to segregated audiences in the South in 64/65?

"We never play to segregated audiences and we aren't going to start now," said John Lennon. "I'd sooner lose our appearance money."

More in this article...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 2, 2013 20:14

Jah Paul
24FPS
leteyer
MCDDTLC
Huh,

"We never play to segregated audiences and we aren't going to start now," said John Lennon. "I'd sooner lose our appearance money."

More in this article...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 2, 2013 21:44

DandelionPowderman
He had just met Keith and the Stones. This was 67/68.

Yeah, you're right! I seem to remember a story I read (although I forget the source) where he was hanging around during the making of Exile and either Mick or Keith asked why he wasn't headed to the start of the tour, and both were a bit dismayed that he really didn't care.

Maybe another urban legend.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 2, 2013 23:13

stonesrule

I'm most of the way through the book now, am on the Nelson Riddle part, good stuff, along with her theater experience, and musical development over the years.

However, when I read memoirs and autobiographies, which I do frequently, I do look for at least some talk about major relationships, what attracted the two people, why they moved on, and so forth. To me, that's not necessary salacious or gossipy, but forms at least an undercurrent to the musical work and output. Well, at least she mentions the mens'
names.

Btw, I never wrote her off early on or anytime.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 2, 2013 23:33

Added note:
I just got to more of the Jerry Brown part, where she has written nearly a page abut him of
the sort I had in mind, still very classy.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 3, 2013 00:42

Glad you're liking it Angee.
Not a long book but painting a very accurate picture. She has a great publisher, one of the few left who isn't saying, "I want lots of sex in every chapter.

Date: October 3, 2013 01:23

stonesrule
Glad you're liking it Angee.
Not a long book but painting a very accurate picture. She has a great publisher, one of the few left who isn't saying, "I want lots of sex in every chapter.

That's an understatement. cool smiley

Good point, in any case, stonesrule.

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home