Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...194195196197198199200201202203204...LastNext
Current Page: 199 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2015 18:36

keefriffhards
georgelicks
Moonshine
Didn't TIC shift a mill?

Telling everyone about CH, it totally deserves a bigger audience

A very different era back in 1988:

- It was his first solo album
- He was 44 years old back then
- Album sales were 7-10 times better than now
- TIC had 3 singles with heavy airplay on rock radio, the last one charting on February-March 1989, 5-6 months of full promo with a tour, 2 videos and 3 singles.
- CH had no tour, only one single and the promo was over after the first week, only magazzine interviews that no one cares.

Agreed thumbs up

HA HA! DAMN! That is funny to consider, how it really has changed so much.

These days sales of, what, maybe as low as EIGHT THOUSAND copies might land you a #1 LP!!! That's absurd.

Date: October 14, 2015 18:39

Redhotcarpet
Im sorry but I dont get it. What's so good about this album?

It's real music, not that crap Jagger puts out on his solo albums or with someone else, SuperTurd or whatever it was.

Keith's new LP, like his other LPs, is a trip through the history of music based on vibe, rhythm, cadence and melody, only more so with a leathered voice this time around. Robbed Blind is outfuckingstanding and is the best thing he's done in eons.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 14, 2015 18:45

GasLightStreet
Redhotcarpet

It's real music, not that crap Jagger puts out on his solo albums or with someone else, SuperTurd or whatever it was.

Keith's new LP, like his other LPs, is a trip through the history of music based on vibe, rhythm, cadence and melody, only more so with a leathered voice this time around. Robbed Blind is outfuckingstanding and is the best thing he's done in eons.
thumbs up

Date: October 14, 2015 18:48

An updated best of Keith Richards could certainly have Trouble, Robbed Blind and Love Overdue on it.

More to come undoubtedly, like Just A Gift possibly. The brilliance of CROSSEYED HEART is the different sounds of the tunes. There's a lot more depth on this record than the other two - even though TALK IS CHEAP is a deep album. This one seems a bit more... more.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 14, 2015 19:03

Roll73
mr_dja
keefriffhards
mr_dja
keefriffhards
I love crosseyed heart so much that when I play it in my car every day and reach my destination I just drve on an extra mile or sit in the car with it on for ten more minutes because its that good

That's when you KNOW it's good! I haven't had that experience w/ CH yet - I'm not sure that I've listened to it in the car yet - but other albums have kept me in my car long enough to raise questions.

I think John Hammond's "Wicked Grin" was the last one to get me. While waiting for my wife to arrive at a restaurant, it just sucked me in. Next thing I know, My phone rings and it's my wife wondering where I'm at as she'd been inside waiting for me for the past 10 minutes. Oops!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Heartattack and vine Phew this is really something, thanks for the point in the right direction, never heard this before . Cheers

keefriffhards -> You're welcome! Always glad when I can turn someone on to something they end up enjoying. Feels like going full circle as I have been turned on to stuff myself over the years. And yes, "Heartattack and Vine" is really something. One of my favorites on an album that I have a hard time picking a favorite on!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Would have to recommend the original (Tom Waits) version and the Screamin' Jay Hawkins version of Heartattack & Vine though over the one on Wicked Grin - much as I'm a fan of John Hammond's.

And the wheel keeps turning... I knew of, and do like the Tom Waits version do to Hammond's album being mainly Wait's tunes. HADDN'T realized that Screamin' Jay Hawkins had done a cut. That info sent me straight to youtube! Thanks Roll73! Hammond version still my favorite but that Hawkins version could grow on me.

Thanks again! And apologies to all for this side conversation!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 14, 2015 20:36

Keith is interviewed in the October 2015 UNCUT magazine. Interesting that Crosseyed Heart has stuff from the A Bigger Bang sessions that didn't make it onto that album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-14 20:44 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 14, 2015 20:53

"SuperTurd"

lol!!!!

Date: October 14, 2015 21:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 14, 2015 22:39

DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1
Keith is interviewed in the October 2015 UNCUT magazine. Interesting that Crosseyed Heart has stuff from the A Bigger Bang sessions that didn't make it onto that album.

He said earlier that Nothing On Me and Illusion were from those sessions.

Teddy has explained that Trouble goes even further back (then titled Just Because).

And yet song writing credits on Illusion are Richards Jordan Jones

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 14, 2015 22:50

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

Teddy has explained that Trouble goes even further back (then titled Just Because).

Possibly if it had been included on Bigger Bang it would have been credited to Jagger/Richards or maybe Jagger/Richards/Jordan/Jones or maybe just Jagger/Richards/Jordan. Hard to know who contributed what & when. I'm just assuming Keith was involved from the beginning.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 14, 2015 22:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 14, 2015 22:58

mr_dja
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

Possibly if it had been included on Bigger Bang it would have been credited to Jagger/Richards or maybe Jagger/Richards/Jordan/Jones or maybe just Jagger/Richards/Jordan. Hard to know who contributed what & when. I'm just assuming Keith was involved from the beginning.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yeah i would think that any song Keith takes from a stones session would be his baby's. its so obvious now that Mick and Keith have not been recording together for a long time, they just come with their own demos and ideas.
Norah Jones probably gets credits for her recent input and vocals, maybe she helped with the lyrics etc. I think she is amazing , Keith should do a video with her and release Illusion.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 14, 2015 23:19

GasLightStreet
Redhotcarpet

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2015 23:21

DandelionPowderman
Norah wrote the parts she is singing, according to Keith.

Would have been interesting to hear a Stones version of this if it were kept to minimum production.
Not sure if Keith was going to sing it or not at the time of ABB, but I think Mick's vocals might have worked nicely.
On the other hand it might have lost alot of it's charm and mystique.

With that said, glad it was saved for Crosseyed Heart with the addition of Norah Jones...amazing tune. thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 14, 2015 23:48

May I congratulate this thread for, soon to come, 350 000 views, 6 000 posts on 200 pages! Always something...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2015 23:52

mr_dja
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

Peace,
Mr DJA

I would like to see the last Stones record will all Songs credited generously. Perhaps Jagger/Richards/Woods/Watts/Jones/Leavelle. grinning smiley

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 15, 2015 02:17

I don't get the anti-Jagger at all. Crosseyed Heart is a good album - no doubt. Not classic and not fantastic but a good solid album. Jagger's done some great solo stuff and some shitty solo stuff, as has Keith. But these overall generalizations are immature and stupid. And you know what...Jagger's mediocre so called "Dogshit in the Doorway" album is not a great album either, but it's got some really good stuff on it. In fact if you listen with a non-biased ear "God Gave Me Everything", "Don't Call Me Up" and "Too Far Gone" are far superior than anything on Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 15, 2015 02:45

kammpberg
I don't get the anti-Jagger at all. Crosseyed Heart is a good album - no doubt. Not classic and not fantastic but a good solid album. Jagger's done some great solo stuff and some shitty solo stuff, as has Keith. But these overall generalizations are immature and stupid. And you know what...Jagger's mediocre so called "Dogshit in the Doorway" album is not a great album either, but it's got some really good stuff on it. In fact if you listen with a non-biased ear "God Gave Me Everything", "Don't Call Me Up" and "Too Far Gone" are far superior than anything on Crosseyed Heart.

1) Where are you seeing 'anti-Jagger' in this thread?
2) Dogshit in the Doorway is truly dogshit. It is to Jagger... what Dirty Work is to the Stones.
3) Every song on Keith's new album is better than every song on Dogshit (even the very good God Gave Me Everything is trumped by all these songs)
4) If you wanted to compare w/ Jagger, you should pick Jagger's best, which is to most Wandering Spirit -- a fantastic album, but I still think this Keith album's songs are better than WS. For me, the true Jagger classic is SuperHeavy. I think it's also fantastic, but I still think I like Keith's new album more.

Date: October 15, 2015 03:17

Title5Take1

Good grief, I read that 3 times and still didn't figure it out.

Uhhhh.....

I guess so. I dunno.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 03:19 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 15, 2015 03:45

There's a ton of anti-Jagger within these 199 pages. And I feel it's unnecessary. I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 15, 2015 04:07

kammpberg
I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

... except that there aren't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 04:07 by LeonidP.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 04:34

Keith recorded the follow up Exile when no one was looking. Brilliant.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 05:23

kammpberg
In fact if you listen with a non-biased ear "God Gave Me Everything", "Don't Call Me Up" and "Too Far Gone" are far superior than anything on Crosseyed Heart.

I totally agree, love Mick's album. Keith's has too many boring songs. Very dissapointing.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 15, 2015 05:35

I love the Mick. He is a great singer and entertainer, and his drive has most likely sustained the Stones. There is just something about CROSSEYED HEART to my ears that has been missing from every Stones project or related project in the last 34 years. The songs are relaxed, it's not forced, it's mature and the styles are not giving in to the latest fads. A real gem that continues to grow with every listen.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 15, 2015 06:08

kammpberg
There's a ton of anti-Jagger within these 199 pages. And I feel it's unnecessary. I picked Goddess In The Doorway, because it seems to be Jagger's worst rated album here on IORR and my point is even on Jagger's worst album, there are some better songs than the best of Crosseyed Heart.

Yes, there is anti-Jagger here, and yes, it's absolutely unnecessary. But that doesn't mean I don't personally love Crosseyed Heart more than any of Mick's solo stuff (though I'm one of the few who will admit to enjoying much of SuperHeavy).

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 15, 2015 06:50

two4fun111
Keith recorded the follow up Exile when no one was looking. Brilliant.

LOL, cool.
'Substantial Damage' hitting me anew, the layers, the layers of vocals from Keith, S. Dash, credits say Jordan too. What a guitar riff. Didn't get this depth when single was released, the first couple go arounds with it, like I am now. Read the CD sleeve again today hoping to get secrets revealed. Not there. Just Keef magic.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 15, 2015 06:57

kammpberg

It would have been more interesting if you mentioned Wandering Spirit, which is Jagger's strongest IMO. Hopefully Mick is loving Crosseyed Heart and looking forward to working with KR. Treat it like a solo effort with Keith as his producer. Keith knows Mick better than anyone........

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2015 07:00

'Substantial Damage' hitting me anew,

Highly influenced by Steve Jordan's production
and participation on the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion albums Plastic Fang and Damage

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 09:04

Here's the exchange referred to above from UNCUT:

UNCUT: "Do you compartmentalize when you write: this is a Stones song, this is a solo song? Does it work like that?"

KEITH: "No, no. That way, I can't think. I just write the songs. If the Stones were ready to record around the same time...Some of them were actually hanging around, ideas from while the Stones were still recording. We left certain things off, and I thought `I want to pursue that one.'"

UNCUT: "Do you mean the BIGGER BANG sessions?"

KEITH: "Yeah, there are some outtakes from A BIGGER BANG. I think you can maybe hear the beginnings of ILLUSION. 'I really want to pick up on this song, or else it's going to disappear down the drain.'"

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 09:36

Still have "crosseyed heart" in my CD player in my car and we aren't sick of it yet... always something refreshing, a new "go-to" song every couple of days. Interestingly, "goodnight irene" is just about the only one that hasn't been a favorite at any point.

I'm really re-thinking the last 30 years of Stones history and wondering how much of the problem with song-writing has been the lyrics and the lame attempts at sounding modern. Crosseyed Heart sounds so refreshingly simple, in the same way that the Stones' best work does.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...194195196197198199200201202203204...LastNext
Current Page: 199 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home