Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Muscle Shoals" film
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 6, 2013 12:51

Through the years I have discussed recording at Muscle Shoals with Aretha Franklin, Joe South, Keith Richards and Ronnie Van Zant (for whom Jimmy Johnson was a personal hero). Darghis at the NY Times is generally a fine critic. The director, Camalier, I'm not so sure about, and I haven't yet seen the film so I will reserve my thoughts on what he did with it.

Regarding Skynyrd, whom the Stones admired even though many here do not, they were in their teens when they recorded there, and RVZ had hoped at that time when they were virtually starving that they would record there again. By the time Skynyrd had become known and successful they were hardly people who would have had anything to do with the "Klan." Like many other talented bands they grew up on the road and their youthful views changed. They were more terrified about going to that faraway place, England, for the first time than they ever were about "black people." Ronnie Van Zant was never a racist. A few weeks before his death in far-ranging conversations, we talked a lot about the people he'd met along the way and his musical heroes, many of whom were black. Too bad he didn't live or he would have straightened Mr. Camalier out rather quickly before that documentary got made.

I remember taking Ronnie to Tower Records in LA and I said to him, "Take what you want." He was quite proud about not taking advantage of this. We spent an hour at Tower and the one record he clutched to his heart was a Son House compilation.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2013 13:01

the one record he clutched to his heart was a Son House compilation

Good choice ..... Can't ague about the majesty power of House.....

ROCKMAN

Re: Muscle Shoals trailer w/ Keith & Mick
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 6, 2013 13:52

Title5Take1
Mick's and Keith's participation certainly makes me want to see it.

John Lennon said, "We were trying to get that bass sound Arthur Alexander was getting in Muscle Shoals, we love his records." The Beatles tried to record in America, but because of taxes or something never did, and I think Muscle Shoals was a hope of theirs.

I'm glad they didn't because they managed to get a better bass sound at Abbey Road by 1966. grinning smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 6, 2013 15:03

stonesrule
Through the years I have discussed recording at Muscle Shoals with Aretha Franklin, Joe South, Keith Richards and Ronnie Van Zant (for whom Jimmy Johnson was a personal hero). Darghis at the NY Times is generally a fine critic. The director, Camalier, I'm not so sure about, and I haven't yet seen the film so I will reserve my thoughts on what he did with it.

Regarding Skynyrd, whom the Stones admired even though many here do not, they were in their teens when they recorded there, and RVZ had hoped at that time when they were virtually starving that they would record there again. By the time Skynyrd had become known and successful they were hardly people who would have had anything to do with the "Klan." Like many other talented bands they grew up on the road and their youthful views changed. They were more terrified about going to that faraway place, England, for the first time than they ever were about "black people." Ronnie Van Zant was never a racist. A few weeks before his death in far-ranging conversations, we talked a lot about the people he'd met along the way and his musical heroes, many of whom were black. Too bad he didn't live or he would have straightened Mr. Camalier out rather quickly before that documentary got made.

I remember taking Ronnie to Tower Records in LA and I said to him, "Take what you want." He was quite proud about not taking advantage of this. We spent an hour at Tower and the one record he clutched to his heart was a Son House compilation.
Thanks again ms stonesrule for sharing..

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: October 6, 2013 19:32

Saw the movie the other day here in Toronto, it's okay a tad too long could've used and edit with more of Pickett, Percy Sledge, Clarence Carter and Arthur Alexander and less of Skynyrd and Bono.

More insight needed between the split between Rick Hall and Wexler, fist fight between Rick Hall and Aretha Franklins husband Ted(alcohol involved and comments made) resulting with the relationship with Atlantic ending.

To add insult to injury his session rhythm section players broke off and created their own recording studio across the street, "Muscle Shoal Sound Studios" with the backing of Wexler in 1967.

So to me Rick Hall now eighty one is the strongest character of the bunch the rest umm not so much.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 6, 2013 19:50

duke richardson
stonesrule
Thanks again ms stonesrule for sharing..

Same here...you really must write another book, Stonesrule!

Date: October 6, 2013 21:15

Thanks Duke and LateBloomer,

I'm working on Peacocks in the Jungle, (inside the Sixties and Seventies)

One of the last chapters is devote to Hendrix, Lennon and Van Zant...three stars who on the surface would have little in common but actually had quite a lot...
Rare quotes, happy times, miserable times.

Jimi and John Lennon were great friends. When I introduced John to Lynyrd Skynyrd, he was incredibly sweet to them, and they were speechless. JL had even listened to their first album...and several weeks after the Skynyrd plane crash, John phoned me and showed compassion that one would have never imagined would come from that very sharp tongue of his.

By the way, I don't expect to hype the book on IORR. Wouldn't want to unwittingly start another one of those lengthy Mick Taylor threads, for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 21:20 by stonesrule.

Muscle Shoals Movie
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:34

I just saw the trailer of a movie about Muscle Shoals and their recording studio featuring Mick and Keith.

I think it's worth to see

Re: Muscle Shoals Movie
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:42

After seeing the trailer and reading the discussions here, I downloaded it and saw this movie yesterday night.

It's a very good documentary, and it's worth the see.

Re: Muscle Shoals Movie
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:45

Thanks man

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: October 29, 2013 17:39

Just watched it; I thought the production was great and found Rick Hall's personal life story very sad. Great film on the whole, well worth a watch

"Muscle Shoals" - Great Documentary about the Recording Studio
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:49

Pardon me if someone mentioned this before, but a fascinating documentary called "Muscle Shoals" about the FAME recording studios in tiny Muscle Shoals, Alabama just came out. The Stones recorded "Brown Sugar," "You Got to Move," and "Wild Horses" at the studio in 1969. (Parts of the recording session are preserved in the film "Gimme Shelter" and these segments appear in the documentary).

The studio's musicians, most of them white, backed up Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, and others, black and white, who came to the little town to record.

The documentary examines why the studio was such a creative place and what attracted the Stones and others to record there. It includes great interviews with Richards and Jagger.

Highly recommnded!

Re: "Muscle Shoals" - Great Documentary about the Recording Studio
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 8, 2014 12:04

This was on BBC4 last night and will be available on the IPlayer until Thursday 13th.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 13, 2014 04:57

Just saw this for the first time. It's an absolutely terrific documentary, with great interviews w/ Mick and Keith. A must-see.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 16:59 by drewmaster.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 17, 2014 03:14

I've seen this now a couple of times on tv and its great. Really informative and interesting and a fairly in depth section concerning the Stones. Keith loved the sound they got there but it's not quite clear if they recorded in the original Rich Hall studio or the other one set up by Jerry Wexler. Think it was the original one though where Greg Alman along with many others had made such great music. Man do our boys look young!

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: May 25, 2014 02:47

I've recently watched "Muscle Shoals" on Netflicks. Great documentary. Watch it if you have a chance.

Muscle Shoals
Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 29, 2014 04:42

Just watched the documentary Muscle Shoals on Netflix. Big thumbs up. The Stones footage is all from Gimme Shelter, but Mick and Keith are interviewed. It is the non Stones content that makes this great. Never knew about the Swampers, despite having heard them thousands of times on some of the best ever songs. Well made and worth a watch.

Re: Muscle Shoals
Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: June 29, 2014 04:49

I agree. It is a great show!

Re: Muscle Shoals
Date: June 29, 2014 05:52

Now Muscle has got the Swampers (and they've been known to pick a song or two...Lord, they get me off so much when I'm feeling blue..."

Ronnie Van Zant lyrics 1973

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 29, 2014 15:32

Loved the movie about this legendary place - and the current musicians recording there (Jason Isbell, for one) are pretty damn good, too.

Always love your stories, stonesrule. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:04

I caught it on PBS here in Connecticut. Awesome!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 30, 2014 12:54

it's a fantastic film.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 6, 2014 06:21

Awesome!!...many spine tingling moments of genius in the film...

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 6, 2014 16:13

Pretty good except way too much bono ???

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 2, 2014 09:52

Gooo
Pretty good except way too much bono ???

I liked it quite a bit, tho' agree on too much Bono - didn't quite get his or Alicia Keys being in it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home