Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Most Powerful Live Version of .... Love in Vain ??
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: September 4, 2013 05:00

Ladies and Gentleman. Philly Special 2, right there as well.

Date: September 4, 2013 09:53

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
How can it be more blues than what Keith does on the studio version? Musical explanations, please.

Because it's basically country? It's not blues at all without the Mick Taylor solo, and that why I prefer the 1978 versions: these are all countrified rock, to my taste much more interesting than the oblique Taylor super duper blues solo, which in the end aren't that difficult to play...

Mathijs

Country blues. He even sounds like Jimmy Reed on the descending notes with his slide.

Date: September 4, 2013 09:55

svt22
DandelionPowderman
How can it be more blues than what Keith does on the studio version? Musical explanations, please.

I do love Keith's playing, and I think he's at his best as a rhythm player, but when it comes to playing in a blues-lead environment, Mick is the best and most talented to me. Either you hear / feel it or not. That's what's blues is all about. Feeling. No explanations. I am not interested in that anymore.

Who's talking about lead playing? Obviously, the studio take on LIV didn't need extended lead playing. It is perfect as it is, with a very sensitive and effective slide that is yet to be re-created or topped, imo.

Date: September 4, 2013 09:58

svt22
Powerful in the sense of played with a to the bone blues feel, the guitar(s) in particular. Imo only Taylor could do that really good in the RS. He was the blues guitarist there.

That is more like melancholic or soothing, not powerful per se.

Taylor never played "sleazy" or "hard" as you often put it. His playing is more sweet or emotional, imo.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: September 4, 2013 11:24

Any version with Mick Taylor, I perfer the 69 tour versions myself. But you can hear Taylor getting better and better as the years went by with the 73 tour versions being unbelievable fantastic. The funniest version of Love in Vain is the Studio take where they used a washboard to give the sound of the train coming into the station. It's a very early take, and I'm glad they decided to take the washboard out in final version.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 4, 2013 12:44

VideoJames
Any version with Mick Taylor, I perfer the 69 tour versions myself. But you can hear Taylor getting better and better as the years went by with the 73 tour versions being unbelievable fantastic. The funniest version of Love in Vain is the Studio take where they used a washboard to give the sound of the train coming into the station. It's a very early take, and I'm glad they decided to take the washboard out in final version.

Any chance someone could post this early "washboard" version of "Love In Vain" over in Hot Stuff section. Or where could I find it in the Vault? Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:22

Kingbeebuzz
VideoJames

Any chance someone could post this early "washboard" version of "Love In Vain" over in Hot Stuff section. Or where could I find it in the Vault? Thank you in advance.

Forget about it. This is his normal behaviour for 30 odd years now. Always boosting and bragging he has something nobody else has. Of course, without any proof ever given.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:35

Mathijs
Kingbeebuzz
VideoJames

Forget about it. This is his normal behaviour for 30 odd years now. Always boosting and bragging he has something nobody else has. Of course, without any proof ever given.

Mathijs

That's tragic if true. When having something that is not supposed to circulate; one stays silent about it, in respect to whoever told you to not circulate. But when not being in that position; so that one can even talk about it without breaking promises to anybody yet never share the stuff, just brag about it on the internet....then...good grief. Whatever gets ones rocks off, I guess: "I got something you don't have!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 14:19 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:56

LIV 73 versions . . ?

Date: September 4, 2013 17:10

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:22

andrewt
Put me down for '72..some many good ones to choose from.

Here's Philly just because...

definitely the best version ever. Just because of Taylor´s stellar lead.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 4, 2013 20:35

Philly special 2,so special sound and for me one of the best solo ever ! The second one without slide<3

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 6, 2013 19:23

The Stax style horns and Taylor's lead make the 72 version the best for me. 78 is a close second. The album version is great in a different way. Its almost like its a different song.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 19:51

Passaic 78

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 6, 2013 21:24

DP - totally forgot about Australia.Too much vine lol?

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: September 7, 2013 00:15

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home