Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Who To Release Tommy Super Deluxe Boxset and Deluxe Edition
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 31, 2013 13:58

71Tele
I love The Who, but Tommy always struck me as a bit of a silly, naive story, and not that great a recording technically. I finally figured out why (the latter part): Townshend says in his book that they ended up using his scratch electric guitar tracks that were never intended for the final release. The fairly wimpy-sounding electric guitar is what always bugged me about this record. Some great songs certainly, but as an album, Who's Next and Quadrophenia top it by miles (and miles).

I totally agree Tele71! Tommy is basically an acoustic album with brass. The Story is unique, and some great music, and much better done live. That said, it isn't one of my favorites by The Who, and I agree that Who's Next and Quadrophenia are far superior.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2013 15:04

Quadrophenia is their real masterpiece. hot smiley

Date: August 31, 2013 16:07

the who sell out is the bands real masterpiece though

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2013 16:14

keefriffhard4life

I love that too, but Quadrophenia is them.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 31, 2013 16:47

keefriffhard4life

100 per cent agree. The songwriting peaked with this album. Production and studio wise it was Quadrophenia but the songs on Sell Out have a very broad canvass. And Townshend's playing is exquisite, especially on Sunrise.

Date: August 31, 2013 16:47

His Majesty
keefriffhard4life

I love that too, but Quadrophenia is them.

that album never really grabbed me. if i was to rank the moon who albums that would be near the bottom for me.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 1, 2013 00:54

71Tele
I love The Who, but Tommy always struck me as a bit of a silly, naive story, and not that great a recording technically. I finally figured out why (the latter part): Townshend says in his book that they ended up using his scratch electric guitar tracks that were never intended for the final release. The fairly wimpy-sounding electric guitar is what always bugged me about this record.

It had been a year and a half since Sell Out (a ridiculous amount of time between albums in those days) and Pete was under a lot of pressure to hurry up and get the damn thing finished, so he never had an opportunity to properly re-record his guitar parts.

The guitar sounds pretty good here, though. Maybe this was the one track where he did find the time to get it right.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 01:13 by tatters.

Date: September 1, 2013 01:10

Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life

100 per cent agree. The songwriting peaked with this album. Production and studio wise it was Quadrophenia but the songs on Sell Out have a very broad canvass. And Townshend's playing is exquisite, especially on Sunrise.

Stop it. That's just a lot of hipster talk. If Dave Marsh wants to believe it's all been downhill since 1967, fine, let 'em, but don't you go and believe it, too. grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 04:19 by tatters.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2013 01:41

tatters
Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life

Stop it. That's just a lot of hipster talk. If Dave Marsh wants to believe it's all been downhill since 1967, fine, let 'em, but don't you believe it, too. grinning smiley

However, Pete seems to regard I Can See For Miles as his masterpiece and was devastated when it failed to grab the public, especially in the UK.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 4, 2013 11:51

This one's a bit of cash grab, but I'll buy it anyway. A 5.1 surround mix has been available on SACD for about a decade on the last deluxe edition of Tommy. There are also complete Tommy live performances on CD on the deluxe Live at Leeds and Isle of Wight, as well as video of big chunks of it on the London Coliseum part of Kilburn and Isle of Wight.

So the lure for this one is the expanded Townshend demos and the spiffy book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 12:02 by ab.

Date: September 4, 2013 12:12

Just ordered mine. I never felt the 5.1 mix from 10 years ago was that good so hopefully the separation and overall timbre of the instruments will be more vibrant.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 4, 2013 12:56

Really enjoyed hearing "Pinball Wizard" guitars only version posted by Tatters in this thread.
Could any one post the audio for this over on Hot Stuff please or explain how I can save this audio from the you tube clip.
Thank you in advance if you can help.

Date: September 4, 2013 15:08

stonehearted
tatters
Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life

Stop it. That's just a lot of hipster talk. If Dave Marsh wants to believe it's all been downhill since 1967, fine, let 'em, but don't you believe it, too. grinning smiley

However, Pete seems to regard I Can See For Miles as his masterpiece and was devastated when it failed to grab the public, especially in the UK.

I think what he said was that it was the Who's best single, not his "masterpiece." He probably regards Quadrophenia as his masterpiece.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 15:15 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 15:19

Townshend has said in several interviews, particularly one recent one that Quadrophenia is his most complete work, and his best.

Date: September 4, 2013 15:35

His Majesty
It's getting a bit silly eh!?

Not as silly as The Road To Red.

Posted by: woody ()
Date: September 5, 2013 11:59

Hi
Where do you order or this from?
Thanks

Date: September 5, 2013 12:00

woody
Hi
Where do you order or this from?
Thanks

Why, Amazon of course. They have everything! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: woody ()
Date: September 5, 2013 12:02

Thanks silver dagger

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home