Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's Disease...
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: August 25, 2013 05:39

Not a so called Pop Super Star today could hold a candle to her at the height of her powers. She was amazing, so sad. Her version of crazy is better than Pasty Cline's.
Go ahead check it out unbelievable.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:17

Went to one of her concerts in Milwaukee early 80s.winking smiley

Date: August 25, 2013 06:32

sonyzzz
Not a so called Pop Super Star today could hold a candle to her at the height of her powers. She was amazing, so sad. Her version of crazy is better than Pasty Cline's.
Go ahead check it out unbelievable.

not sure about all that

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 25, 2013 09:06

The under-rated Mike Nesmith of the much-maligned Monkees posted this about her on Facebook__

The awful news about Linda losing her voice to Parkinson's is terrible but it can never diminish the legacy she has created for us in the songs she has sung for all of us.

Because of her these songs will live as long as people listen to songs and these songs will always sing with the same power and beauty that she was and is.

Like all great gifts, these songs now sing to her as they once sang with her.

Listen to them. You will hear what she has done. What she has given us.
Her voice is far from stilled. It lives and sings forever down the halls of time.

Linda did more for Different Drum than I ever did -- or ever could have.

She breathed eternal life into it.

[Of course, he was talking about her singing voice. She can still talk, and I'm sure has many more contributions to make and years to live.]

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: August 25, 2013 16:54

love linda Ronstadt,long long time

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 25, 2013 17:16

sonyzzz

Pasty Cline, the singing pastry from Cornwall?

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: August 25, 2013 17:17

her memoirs to be released sept. 26, another thing that shows what class she has, is when Henley and frey, left her band to form what in time became the eagles she was 100% supportive no hard feelings

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 25, 2013 18:06

Aquamarine
The under-rated Mike Nesmith of the much-maligned Monkees posted this about her on Facebook__

The awful news about Linda losing her voice to Parkinson's is terrible but it can never diminish the legacy she has created for us in the songs she has sung for all of us.

Because of her these songs will live as long as people listen to songs and these songs will always sing with the same power and beauty that she was and is.

Like all great gifts, these songs now sing to her as they once sang with her.

Listen to them. You will hear what she has done. What she has given us.
Her voice is far from stilled. It lives and sings forever down the halls of time.

Linda did more for Different Drum than I ever did -- or ever could have.

She breathed eternal life into it.

[Of course, he was talking about her singing voice. She can still talk, and I'm sure has many more contributions to make and years to live.]

When I saw the Monkees two weeks ago, Different Drum (Linda's version) was played during the pre-show music.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 25, 2013 18:13

Jah Paul

When I saw the Monkees two weeks ago, Different Drum (Linda's version) was played during the pre-show music.

Were you at the Long Beach show?

I heard that as I was coming into the building. By the time I got to my seat, they were running rare Monkees videos, and I wondered how many I missed, and if they ran a video of the Stone Poneys doing that song.

I'm reading Neil Young's book and yesterday I came to a part where he talks about Linda, and he wrote the same thing that I had to say about her when I posted earlier in the day: Why isn't she in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame??

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 25, 2013 18:35

loog droog
Jah Paul

Were you at the Long Beach show?

I heard that as I was coming into the building. By the time I got to my seat, they were running rare Monkees videos, and I wondered how many I missed, and if they ran a video of the Stone Poneys doing that song.

I'm reading Neil Young's book and yesterday I came to a part where he talks about Linda, and he wrote the same thing that I had to say about her when I posted earlier in the day: Why isn't she in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame??

Yes, it was Long Beach. They didn't show any Stone Poneys footage during the song...I think it was played before any video was on the screen. What a great show...had 10th row seats and really enjoyed it.

As for Linda, always loved her since I was a kid in the '70s - never got to see her in person as she stopped doing her rock tours right around the time I started going to concerts. What a voice.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 25, 2013 19:19

Dreamer
She always was a honey and still is. Fabulous voice. Very nice personality. She was having fun and she did what she wanted to do.
She once said "I never had a romance with Mick Jagger. You know what I mean? He's a friend of mine; we used to play music together sometimes." But there is also this anecdote: ...when Jagger breezed through L.A., he called and asked her to meet him in Mexico. "That's the sort of thing I couldn't do if I was married to Jerry," she mused...
Mick liked her a lot and still does...I know that for sure.

Jagger liked her personally but found her music kind of boring..

As for singers speaking out of their political beliefs...Gee that never gets boring..yawn..

Date: August 25, 2013 19:23

Jah Paul
[
Yes, it was Long Beach. They didn't show any Stone Poneys footage during the song...I think it was played before any video was on the screen. What a great show...had 10th row seats and really enjoyed it.

AMAZING show! The Headquarters album is in my DNA, and during Mike's set of songs from that record I was in heaven!

Excellent use of footage throughout the show. Loved when Mickey brought out the kettle drum for Randy Scouse Git.

FYI--Nesmith is playing the Coach House in October.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: August 25, 2013 19:28

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-25 19:31 by MoreFastNumbers.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:04

I heard about this on the news yesterday. A very talented and beautiful woman. I wish her all the best.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 27, 2013 20:21

Nice article about Linda in the New Yorker.

[www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 27, 2013 21:23

Yes, very sad. GREAT singer and a real hottie back in my teenage years - 70's.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 27, 2013 22:03

Bellajane
I heard about this on the news yesterday. A very talented and beautiful woman. I wish her all the best.

Exactly

Date: August 28, 2013 02:57

Nice backing vocals with Nicolette Larson on this

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 29, 2013 07:17

From today: "Sam Tanenhaus knocked on the door of Linda Ronstadt's home in San Francisco and she answered. They talked about her upcoming memoir — written to make money as her savings dwindle — and about her revelation last week that she has Parkinson's disease and can't sing."

"WRITTEN TO MAKE MONEY AS HER SAVING DWINDLE"?? What is going on here? This woman is one of the most successful and popular vocalists in modern history. There is more to this story.

Date: August 29, 2013 07:28

hbwriter
From today: "Sam Tanenhaus knocked on the door of Linda Ronstadt's home in San Francisco and she answered. They talked about her upcoming memoir — written to make money as her savings dwindle — and about her revelation last week that she has Parkinson's disease and can't sing."

"WRITTEN TO MAKE MONEY AS HER SAVING DWINDLE"?? What is going on here? This woman is one of the most successful and popular vocalists in modern history. There is more to this story.

possibly medical bills but dude, linda hasn't had a hit song or album in 24 years. how much money do you think she had flowing in

Date: August 29, 2013 07:31

LOTS - her catalog still sells very well - plus she made many fortunes back in the 70s and 80s - this has to be a bad investment story or something -

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 29, 2013 07:39

hbwriter
LOTS - her catalog still sells very well - plus she made many fortunes back in the 70s and 80s - this has to be a bad investment story or something -

Her catalog made money for various songwriters, as her output was mainly covers. Her main flow of money came from live performance, which she can no longer do.

Date: August 29, 2013 07:40

hbwriter

no ones back catalog sells that well anymore except the beatles, elvis and michael jackson and if you look a lot of her albums are/were out of print for a long time and some are still only available on itunes, etc. she also was at her peak in the 70's and i'm sure several of those big albums were made while she was under a bad contract. if you look she went from nothing to superstar pretty fast so i'm sure the original contract she had wasn't very good. also she signed with elektra records in the late 80's and was on the label until the late 90's. she only had 1 hit album album on the label and released 6 more albums on elektra. how much money do you think she owed elekrta for cost of those 6 albums?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 07:41 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: August 29, 2013 07:41

true she doesn't get publishing - but she gets a mechanical cut for the songs being played over the years - it just strikes me as weird. again, it feels like there is more to it

i may be interviewing her soon - it may be a discussion point

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 29, 2013 08:05

hbwriter
true she doesn't get publishing - but she gets a mechanical cut for the songs being played over the years - it just strikes me as weird. again, it feels like there is more to it

Perhaps it's to do with lifestyle as well. Her expenses would befit her status.

There was a thread here months ago about Dionne Warwick's financial woes, mainly due to back taxes (or rather, the penalties incurred--her actual taxes had been paid in full), but her earnings were listed somewhere in the vicinity of $25,000 a week--a fortune for you or me, but not enough to keep her from having to file for bankruptcy status.

Date: August 29, 2013 08:06

interesting note about her new book

"A highlight of the book is her account of an all-night jam with Mr. Parsons and Mr. Richards, Mr. Parsons disappearing at intervals to ingest more drugs. At one point, Mr. Richards played “Wild Horses,” a new song he had written with Mick Jagger for the next Stones album. Mr. Parsons begged to record it ahead of them. To her astonishment, Mr. Richards complied."

so this has to be about '69 - had no clue she knew Keith at that point

Date: August 29, 2013 08:10

hbwriter

i'm sure there is more to it than we know about. i was just guessing that she didn't make as much money as we think and recent medical bills have hurt her. she was diagnosed over 8 months ago and just now told the public

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 29, 2013 08:53

hbwriter
interesting note about her new book

"A highlight of the book is her account of an all-night jam with Mr. Parsons and Mr. Richards, Mr. Parsons disappearing at intervals to ingest more drugs. At one point, Mr. Richards played “Wild Horses,” a new song he had written with Mick Jagger for the next Stones album. Mr. Parsons begged to record it ahead of them. To her astonishment, Mr. Richards complied."

so this has to be about '69 - had no clue she knew Keith at that point

A bit related to this: I forgot about her great backing vocals on Parsons' In My Hour Of Darkness. Terrific stuff.

Date: August 29, 2013 19:20

She will always be in most guys dreams. Who didn't like looking at her album covers?

Seems like there's a line from WKRP episode trying to get out somewhere in this post......

For an unrated but great harmony singing album featuring Linda check out the Trio album with her, Dolly Parton, and Emmylou Harris. If that doesn't make the hair on your neck stand up you've went to too many loud Stones concerts and should see an audiologist quick....winking smiley

Mike

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home