Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who at IORR saw the Stones with Brian Jones?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:34

I'm sure I am not the only one.

Re: Who at IORR saw the Stones with Brian Jones?
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:39

Me, once (Albert Hall, Sept. 1966, Brian gets briefly dragged off by screaming girls).

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:49

Sweet! Another Brian Jones thread!

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:53

Wow, nice one aquamarine! Any recollections of the actual gig/set list?

Date: July 18, 2013 01:58

Set list, no, except they did Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, which had come out that day (or close), Paint It Black, and the usual faves (Satisfaction, etc.). The gig itself I remember vividly (including what I wore--black turtleneck)--warm-up bands included the Yardbirds and Ike and Tina Turner, then when the Stones came on we all stood on our seats and screamed. I remember what they were wearing too. Brian was wearing a velvet Regency jacket, and as I said at one point some girls got onstage and grabbed him, and the show was briefly halted while the cops dragged them off, etc. This made it EVEN MORE EXCITING! grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:58

Aquamarine
Me, once (Albert Hall, Sept. 1966, Brian gets briefly dragged off by screaming girls).

tell us more about the show.

Date: July 18, 2013 02:00

See above--there's actually some b&w video of this on Youtube, if I can find it.

Here's a clip that shows it from Charlie is My Darling (it begins about 1.20), though the clip only shows girls grabbing Mick, whereas it was the Brian-grab that caused the delay--

Albert Hall 1966

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 02:05 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2013 02:04

Aquamarine
Set list, no, except they did Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, which had come out that day (or close), Paint It Black, and the usual faves (Satisfaction, etc.). The gig itself I remember vividly (including what I wore--black turtleneck)--warm-up bands included the Yardbirds and Ike and Tina Turner, then when the Stones came on we all stood on our seats and screamed. I remember what they were wearing too. Brian was wearing a velvet Regency jacket, and as I said at one point some girls got onstage and grabbed him, and the show was briefly halted while the cops dragged them off, etc. This made it EVEN MORE EXCITING! grinning smiley

Wow, lucky you. It's double luck, actually, as you had the opportunity to witness the Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck Yardbirds line-up!

Date: July 18, 2013 02:06

Big Al
Aquamarine

Wow, lucky you. It's double luck, actually, as you had the opportunity to witness the Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck Yardbirds line-up!

I did, and as a major Zep fan I haven't underestimated this luck!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: July 18, 2013 03:23

7/2/66 New York City Forest Hills Stadium.

Date: July 18, 2013 03:24

Details?

Edit: I was sure I saw the band between the Albert Hall and Hyde Park, so have been reading old diaries. Still looking, but came across this--not a show, but a Sighting, possibly of interest to Brian-lovers.

July 7 1968 I went to another show at the Albert Hall called Sounds '68, and spent most of the time watching the Stones' box, which was directly across from where I was sitting. Most of my comments are scintillating stuff about Mick lighting Marianne's cigarette, etc., but I can report that Brian was wearing a white shirt and yellow vest (waistcoat) and spent a fair bit of time patting his hair into place, also, unlikely as it seems, he was dancing at the back of their box to one of the bands, next to a boy wearing a hat. Then Mick who had gone out came back in again and climbed over the back of his seat before the second half began.

Then I lost interest in all this because the Byrds came on!! With Gram Parsons!! (According to my diary, anyway.) The bill also included Joe Cocker and the Grease Band, the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, and the Easybeats. Then we had to go and get our bus home halfway through the Move.

Sorry, there IS some on-topic stuff up there somewhere . . .

Edit 2: Now I'm reading my reports on interviews with Brian prior to the release of JJF, which he says "I dig the same way that I dug Satisfaction." Also "I hope in my heart of hearts it'll be a huge hit."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 04:02 by Aquamarine.

Date: July 18, 2013 04:04

Aquamarine, good memories! Don't you remember that absolutely fab performance of "Lady Jane"?

Date: July 18, 2013 04:15

Crummy memories for the most part, good diary! But now you mention it I do remember that. smiling smiley Were you at that show too?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2013 05:11

I have a close friend who saw them at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds in 1966 with Brian.

And isn't Brian quite the littler BSer? He digs JJF the same way he dug Satisfaction? (Well, did he like Satisfaction, or did he dislike both?) Let's suppose he says yes, he likes JJF. A year later, after being fired, he says he doesn't like the discs they are cutting. In one year? They hadn't even released anything new since Beggars Banquet. He barely had anything to do with the early cuts of Let It Bleed, or the single Honky Tonk Women, released in the UK the day after was found at the bottom of his pool.

Date: July 18, 2013 05:18

He was saying he liked both songs. The line about not seeing eye to eye with the others "about the discs we are cutting" was obviously, even at the time, just a PR release to make his leaving the band look like an active musical choice on his part rather than being fired--casting the whole event in a positive light for him. You're making rather a lot out of a harmless little interview that he and Mick did on John Peel's show to plug their new single--of course he's going to say he likes it.

Date: July 18, 2013 05:33

Aquamarine
He was saying he liked both songs. The line about not seeing eye to eye with the others "about the discs we are cutting" was obviously, even at the time, just a PR release to make his leaving the band look like an active musical choice on his part rather than being fired--casting the whole event in a positive light for him. You're making rather a lot out of a harmless little interview that he and Mick did on John Peel's show to plug their new single--of course he's going to say he likes it.

I probably am making too much of it. Still, it's a clever little thing to not say that he actually likes either. Or part of his tortured, swimming both ways at the same time, personality.

Date: July 18, 2013 05:57

Yes, Aquamarine, I was at Royal Albert Hall, my second rock concert and I was hooked on the Stones forever.

24FPS,Brian, as I've said before, had mental and drug problems. I met him; we had many mutual friends. Don't judge him so harshly at this point in time. It's all over now.

Posted by: TOOTSIE ()
Date: July 18, 2013 06:46

Auckland New Zealand 1965 & 1966.
Roy Orbison on the 65 Show, the most audible instrument !girls screaming!.
DVD The Big Beat Show.
Was 14 at 65 Show

Date: July 18, 2013 06:59

I'm embarrassed to have been one of those screaming girls, in 1966 anyway. sad smiley

24FPS

I probably am making too much of it. Still, it's a clever little thing to not say that he actually likes either. Or part of his tortured, swimming both ways at the same time, personality.

Again, the point he was making was that he really liked both songs--there was nothing ambiguous in what he was saying at all!

It was my second rock concert too, stonesrule, with similar effect. The first was Dylan, same venue, May the same year.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: July 18, 2013 09:30

Steel Pier July 1,1966 I was 13.Thank God my mother made my older brother take me with him. I remember the Standells (Dirty Water) The McCoys (hang on Sloopey) and then of course The Stones they came On the stage and opened with Not Fade Away. I also remember 19th Nervous Breakdown and finishing with Satisfaction. The screaming girls were the second most memorable thing about that day and seeing The Stones that day is one of the most memorable things in my life

Date: July 18, 2013 09:51

stonesrule
Yes, Aquamarine, I was at Royal Albert Hall, my second rock concert and I was hooked on the Stones forever.

24FPS,Brian, as I've said before, had mental and drug problems. I met him; we had many mutual friends. Don't judge him so harshly at this point in time. It's all over now.

In black and white things look more harsh than they are. Since these friends have never come forward and revealed much about Brian's state of mind, and his opinions, those last couple years, we're left with not much but conjecture. You could almost say he was the quiet Rolling Stone. Bill was more animated until the late 60s. I think Brian was quite cagey. It couldn't have been easy to stand up to Mick and Keith with no allies. Bill and Charlie sort of banded together for their interests, but Brian detached himself from the group.

I don't think people have drug problems as much as they have mental problems. You can roll away the tide of drugs and alcohol and it often reveals a troubled individual. It's sometimes hard to sympathize with Brian because he hurt many people. But, as if often the case, people who hurt other people very often do not benefit from their insensitivity.

Brian was 27 when he died. 27. My own life was in turmoil when I was 27. And I didn't have the burden of a famous, drug fueled lifestyle to keep me from coming to grips with my problems. Brian had no one looking after him those last couple years. (I don't mean professional handlers). He never had another deep relationship after Anita. And if he had stayed with her, would a junk problem have been far behind?

In the very rare interviews with Brian, he's quite intelligent, and so young. There's a sensitivity to him that came out through the limited amount of music he gave us. I find him utterly fascinating as a star crossed, one of a kind artist. One wonders if he lacked the power to be objective about himself. I feel sorry for people who can't.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2013 10:01

HEY THAT"S WILD fleabitmonkey ..... Your lucky ... great shot too ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Masseolle51 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 10:52

I saw them in Malmö June 1965! As far as I remember they played at Baltiska Hallen. There are some clips from their visit at Youtube.

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:01

Twice in Chester 1965ish and once at the Cavern. My friend's brother bet her that the Stones wouldn't last 2 years then.
Strongest memories apart from how loud & good they were,Brian's whistling on "Walking the dog" & the way he jumped back. Also his back-up vocals and just the presence of him.
I think a set generally lasted only 4 or 5 songs. Everyone rushed to the front to see them.That's a remarkable thing to still be happening.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:09

I´m loving this thread already, keep it coming! :-)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:34

Great stories. Thanks guys and dolls. Please keep them coming

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:52

Aquamarine

You lucky devil ! Any memories of the Yardbirds ? I always wish there was more audio/footage of the Beck vs Page "world war 3" era Yardbirds.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 18, 2013 13:20

Thanks for these concert memories.

smileys with beer

I am envy! grinning smiley

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 13:43

Wow that must be something to have memories of such distant events... to us people born in the 80s, because pictures were black and white, it makes it difficult to imagine that the reality wasn't in black and white !

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 14:25

What a great thread of memories seeing The Stones live with Brian.
So many sidelines of The Yardbirds and other great moments in the aptly named swingin' '60's.
Definately the high point (to me),of so much great music. smileys with beer

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home