Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Question For Rolling Stones Historians
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 11, 2013 16:47

Damned Loch Ness Monster, alwayscominroundaskinfortreefiddyandItellshimIaintgot notreefiddybuthejuskeepcomingbackaskingfortreefiddy DAMNED LOCH NESS MONSTER!!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 17:02

Lawdy lawdy! My baby done married a succubus!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 11, 2013 17:15

The Loch Ness Monster's Song, by Edwin Morgan:

[www.poetryarchive.org]

Date: July 11, 2013 17:28

Now just wait, that damned Loch Ness Monster is gonna show up and ask everyone for tree fiddy for watching his video, he always does, and somebody always gives some money, and that is why he keeps comiong back!! Damned Loch Ness Monster!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 17:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2013 17:38

Beer O'Clock.

Date: July 11, 2013 17:42

Silver Dagger
Beer O'Clock.
thumbs up Thats what Slash says "Its Five O'clock Somewhere"

Date: July 11, 2013 17:45

Date: July 11, 2013 18:39

stonehearted
Thursday nights at the Marquee club ran from 7:30 to 11 p.m., as shown in the January 1963 advert for the Marquee below....

....however, The Rollin' Stones were not alone on the bill for July 12, 1962. Also on the bill was Long John Baldry's Kansas City Blues Boys....

....and with The Rollin' Stones playing 18 songs, it's probably safe to assume that they went on at 9 p.m. and played for the remaining 2 hours of the Thursday night at the Marquee.

Above images from: [rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Set list for July 12 Marquee club gig:

Kansas City
Baby What's Wrong
Confessin' The Blues
Bright Lights, Big City
Dust My Blues
Down The Road Apiece
I'm A Love You
Bad Boy
I Ain't Got You
Hush-Hush
Ride 'Em On Down
Back In The USA
Kind Of Lonesome
Blues Before Sunrise
Big Boss Man
Don't Stay Out All Night
Tell Me You Love Me
Happy Home

Great work! Thank you so much. 9:00 PM seems the most logical. smileys with beer

Date: July 11, 2013 18:39

stonehearted
Thursday nights at the Marquee club ran from 7:30 to 11 p.m., as shown in the January 1963 advert for the Marquee below....

....however, The Rollin' Stones were not alone on the bill for July 12, 1962. Also on the bill was Long John Baldry's Kansas City Blues Boys....

....and with The Rollin' Stones playing 18 songs, it's probably safe to assume that they went on at 9 p.m. and played for the remaining 2 hours of the Thursday night at the Marquee.

Above images from: [rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Interesting to read the advertisements on this website. Does anybody know, if there is a certain moment, when the band decided to call themselves "The Rolling Stones" instead of the initial "The Rollin' Stones"? Was it Andrew Loog Oldham's idea to eventually include the g or was it maybe because the advertising offices didn't always get the pernicketiness without the g right anyway (there is a mixture of advertisements without and with g up to January 17, 1963 on the page)? The single "Come On" with the name of the band written on it must have closed the case at the latest (June 1963). But did maybe Bill Wyman or anybody else comment sometime on the decision to include the g? How did it come?

Date: July 11, 2013 18:40

sonomastone
This is what you do:

1. Visit a park near Bill Wyman's house.
2. Bury a piece of metal (anything will do, say a lid to a can of paint) in the grass, about 1-2 feet from the surface.
3. Wait in the park. Try not to be creepy about it or the local constabulary might pick you up. Don't hide in the bushes or harass children. Using a mobile device to post ridiculous items on IORR is fine. Keep yourself busy.
4. Sooner or later, Bill will come along with his metal detector. Stay quiet! these moment are really important. the suspense needs to build up here.
5. If he is using a Bill Wyman signature metal detector (the best on the market, and a good bet he will be as it's his livelihood these days) his metal detector will go off when he points it at the region of the grass where you buried the 'treasure'
6. Before he starts to dig, or even calling for a film crew to come film him digging (for his next infomercial), jump out of the bushes
7. Tell him that what he found in the ground was yours, but that you'll let him have it if he reveals the starting time for their gig that night.

Trust me, he knows. And this plan will work. And he will be really excited to have found whatever you buried.

If you have trouble recognizing him under these circumstances, here is some help:

Hilarious! thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:44

Rockman
I am into dates....Yeah Turkish or Californian?????

Turkish girls want everything in the world than you can possibly imagine.

Date: July 11, 2013 18:44

dj
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Marhsall
Just curious, of all the questions to ask, why is this one so important to you?

I am into dates and numbers. I just wanted a specific time to note the official close to the 50th anniversary year.

Aren't you about a year late?

No. The 50th anniversary year ends on the evening of July 12. They will turn 51 on that evening and will also be entering their 52nd year. Does sound confusing though doesn't it?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:45

sonomastone
This is what you do:

2. Bury a piece of metal (anything will do, say a lid to a can of paint) in the grass, about 1-2 feet from the surface.
3. Wait in the park. Try not to be creepy about it or the local constabulary might pick you up. Don't hide in the bushes or harass children. Using a mobile device to post ridiculous items on IORR is fine. Keep yourself busy.
4. Sooner or later, Bill will come along with his metal detector. Stay quiet! these moment are really important. the suspense needs to build up here.
5. If he is using a Bill Wyman signature metal detector (the best on the market, and a good bet he will be as it's his livelihood these days) his metal detector will go off when he points it at the region of the grass where you buried the 'treasure'
6. Before he starts to dig, or even calling for a film crew to come film him digging (for his next infomercial), jump out of the bushes
7. Tell him that what he found in the ground was yours, but that you'll let him have it if he reveals the starting time for their gig that night.

Trust me, he knows. And this plan will work. And he will be really excited to have found whatever you buried.

If you have trouble recognizing him under these circumstances, here is some help:

Thanks for lightening the mood as this thread was creepin' me out...

Date: July 11, 2013 18:51

Juniorjackflash
Question for LongRanger / Watchman / Blackhat JumpinJack O Lantern - If you are such a huge fan...why have you not been to a single show this tour?

Have you ever seen them live?

Are you based in the US?

I only ask because, I'm nearly 25 and have paid out to see them 7 times now, 4 times as a student and literally had to beg/borrow/steal to make it - but I did.

Do you have no ambition to see them live?

Just a query, I know you have said previously you'll wait for the DVD release, but It really isnt the same...

I am an old man and don't travel well. The last time I saw the Stones live was in '06. If they come my way again I will definitely be there, if I am still among the living.

It delights me to hear that you are 25 and are into the Stones. Maybe I have given up on your generation too soon?

I watch all the videos that are posted here and share them with my musician friends. I always seek their opinion when it comes to the technical aspect of playing.

Date: July 11, 2013 19:04

gotdablouse
sonomastone
This is what you do:

Thanks for lightening the mood as this thread was creepin' me out...

What's creepy is that someone would be "creeped out" by a legitimate question about the beginnings of the band.

Date: July 11, 2013 19:33

Irix
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

I just wanted a specific time to note the official close to the 50th anniversary year.

Since the Hyde Park show on 13th July belongs still to the 50 & Counting Tour, the 50th anniversary year closes officially 13th July 2013, 10:30pm.

The start was on 12th July 2012 at 5:40pm as the Stones arrived at the Somerset House in London (see the video here) smiling smiley

They will be 51 and in their 51st anniversary year (52nd year) on the day of the Hyde Park concert having turned 51 on the previous evening.

I am not sure if when they do return in the fall whether they are going to still be calling this the 50 and Counting tour? They certainly could, right up until their 55th birthday if they wanted to. Not sure they will choose to do that. I suppose they could also call it 51 and Counting. It will be interesting to see if anything changes when they start back up again in the fall. If it's a new theme then that probably means they will do a new album sometime between now and the Halloween season. If not then they may continue with their present 50 and Counting theme.

The best guess we have so far is 9:00 PM for the official birth of the Rolling Stones on July 12, 1962. No big deal that they met on the red carpet just a few hours before the official 50th anniversary year began.

Date: July 11, 2013 19:46

GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
StonesHistorian
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
I have asked this question before but never got an answer. Can someone please tell me exactly what time the Rolling Stones took to the stage on the night of their first gig on July 12, 1962?
3.30pm

Is this for real? It was an afternoon gig? Thank you very much.

Yes. Well, knowing how Keith was back then and how he fell out of a coconut tree before the gig it was probably more like 3:07.

So when was it that you took your fall and knock on the head? Back when the Saints were the "Aints"? And how did it happen? Did you forget to put the eye holes in the grocery bag that you had placed over your head in honor of your beloved team?

Date: July 11, 2013 23:49

Juniorjackflash
Question for LongRanger / Watchman / Blackhat JumpinJack O Lantern - If you are such a huge fan...why have you not been to a single show this tour?

Are you based in the US?

I only ask because, I'm nearly 25 and have paid out to see them 7 times now, 4 times as a student and literally had to beg/borrow/steal to make it - but I did.

Just a query, I know you have said previously you'll wait for the DVD release, but It really isnt the same...

Just noticed something. I am honestly and truly not the Black Hat. I have been up front about who I have been and who I am presently. Just wanted to clear that up before the Lone Ranger rides off into the sunset after the show on Saturday night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 23:50 by TheLoneRangerRidesAgain.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 12, 2013 00:13

StrawberriesBlueberries
Interesting to read the advertisements on this website. Does anybody know, if there is a certain moment, when the band decided to call themselves "The Rolling Stones" instead of the initial "The Rollin' Stones"? Was it Andrew Loog Oldham's idea to eventually include the g or was it maybe because the advertising offices didn't always get the pernicketiness without the g right anyway (there is a mixture of advertisements without and with g up to January 17, 1963 on the page)? The single "Come On" with the name of the band written on it must have closed the case at the latest (June 1963). But did maybe Bill Wyman or anybody else comment sometime on the decision to include the g? How did it come?

Bill comments on this in his book Rolling with the Stones. In the chapter "We Are The Rolling Stones", there are several illustrations, adverts and handwritten letters and such, where the name appears as either "Rollin'" or "Rolling", and underneath one such Marquee flyer Bill comments in the caption underneath:

Name game: Bill: 'Some times we were billed as "Rollin'" and other times "Rolling". There was no mystery behind this, we just hadn't decided definitively which we were.'

--p. 46

It is safe to assume that Andrew Loog Oldham decided which way it should be, having made so many other definitive decisions regarding group image and marketing. Also, the fact that from the moment when ALO's tenure as Stones manager began their recordings and adverts only bore the "g" would seem to answer the question.

Date: July 12, 2013 00:21

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Juniorjackflash

Are you based in the US?

I am an old man and don't travel well. The last time I saw the Stones live was in '06. If they come my way again I will definitely be there, if I am still among the living.

It delights me to hear that you are 25 and are into the Stones. Maybe I have given up on your generation too soon?

I watch all the videos that are posted here and share them with my musician friends. I always seek their opinion when it comes to the technical aspect of playing.

Of course I saw the PPV event last December 15 on television.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 12, 2013 00:32

Hey loneranger. You're building a time machine and you have to know the exact time to keep Bill from being your future father aren't you?

Date: July 12, 2013 00:50

stonehearted
StrawberriesBlueberries

Bill comments on this in his book Rolling with the Stones. In the chapter "We Are The Rolling Stones", there are several illustrations, adverts and handwritten letters and such, where the name appears as either "Rollin'" or "Rolling", and underneath one such Marquee flyer Bill comments in the caption underneath:

Name game: Bill: 'Some times we were billed as "Rollin'" and other times "Rolling". There was no mystery behind this, we just hadn't decided definitively which we were.'

--p. 46

It is safe to assume that Andrew Loog Oldham decided which way it should be, having made so many other definitive decisions regarding group image and marketing. Also, the fact that from the moment when ALO's tenure as Stones manager began their recordings and adverts only bore the "g" would seem to answer the question.

Thanks for finding that out. So according to Bill they didn't really prefer "Rollin'"? Or at least not all members? I have read, that they did choose "Rollin'" because of the Muddy Waters song or line that didn't have the "g" either. But maybe Bill doesn't know these details, at least not first hand, because he wasn't in the band yet, when the name came up first. I remember someone posting a letter by Brian Jones here once, where he confirmed the first gig at the Marquee, and it said "Rollin' Stones", so I can imagine, it was maybe especially Brian, who wanted to leave off the "g".

Date: July 12, 2013 01:02

More Hot Rocks
Hey loneranger. You're building a time machine and you have to know the exact time to keep Bill from being your future father aren't you?

That's it! How did you guess? smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2013 01:33

StrawberriesBlueberries
So according to Bill they didn't really prefer "Rollin'"? Or at least not all members? I have read, that they did choose "Rollin'" because of the Muddy Waters song or line that didn't have the "g" either. But maybe Bill doesn't know these details, at least not first hand, because he wasn't in the band yet, when the name came up first. I remember someone posting a letter by Brian Jones here once, where he confirmed the first gig at the Marquee, and it said "Rollin' Stones", so I can imagine, it was maybe especially Brian, who wanted to leave off the "g".

According to Keith, the name was chosen all of a sudden one day when Brian was on the phone to Jazz News, probably seeking to get an advert listed for the band's gigs, and when asked what the name of their band was--because they didn't have one yet apparently--Brian looked about the room and fixed his eyes on a Muddy Waters record that was lying nearby, and picked out one of the song titles, which was "Rollin' Stone".

The letter by Brian is also shown in Bill's book. Perhaps you are right, in that they might want to keep it the same as the song that inspired them--but I would also imagine that they didn't always have control over the printing of media adverts and club flyers, which would be drawn up by several other people who wouldn't have been in the know about the Muddy Waters song connection, so that's my impression of how the differences in spelling would come about over several months, until ALO would come along to definitively organize the spelling for publishing and advertising sources.

I believe this is the letter you were referring to, the one Brian wrote to Jazz News informing them of their upcoming gig at the Marquee on July 12, 1962.

Yet, in the hands of a third-party media source (probably Jazz News) making mention of The Stones' debut that July 12 at the Marquee, a "g" is added:

Here's another one by Brian, which also appears in Bill's book, written to the BBC's Jazz Club asking for an audition, same use of "Rollin'":

The second letter is transcribed below:

102 Edith Grove
London SW10
Dear Sir,

I am writing on the behalf of the 'Rollin' Stones' Rhythm and Blues band. We have noticed recently in the musical press that you are seeking fresh talent for 'Jazz Club.

We have West-End residencies at the Flamingo jazz club on Mondays, and at the Marquee jazz club on Thursdays, as well as several other suburban residencies.. We already have a large following in the London area, and in view of the recent increase of interest in Rhythm and Blues in Britain, an exceptionally good future has been predicted for us by many people.

Our front line consists of: vocal + harmonica (electric), and two guitars, supported by a rhythm section comprising bass, piano and drums. Our musical policy is is simply to produce an authentic Chicago Rhythm and Blues sound, using material of which R+B greats as Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolk, Bo Diddley, Jimmy Reid, and many others.

We wonder if you could possibly arrange for us an audition. We look forward eagerly to hearing from you,

Yours faithfully, Brian Jones.

The application form for the Jazz Club audition also appears in Bill's book, and also appears with "Rollin'". Also in Bill's book is "the band's handwritten draft of the advert for their regular shows in January 1963", again with "Rollin'".

What we can conclude is this: The band named themselves after a Muddy Waters song, and so spelled it the way it appeared on the record. The band knew the song and the record, and the rest of the world didn't. To the band, they were The Rollin' Stones. To the outside world, they were more often The Rolling Stones. When ALO came along, he seems to have decided to avert any confusion and just go with Rolling thereafter.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: July 12, 2013 01:50

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
I have asked this question before but never got an answer. Can someone please tell me exactly what time the Rolling Stones took to the stage on the night of their first gig on July 12, 1962?
I was 4 years old back then and if I remember it right most people weren't into time back then, it was mainly sun dials and guessing but no one really cared. Some say they took the stage at 10:10 others remember it to be 11:11 - 12:12 or 1:11 but it was really hard to calculate in those days because the sun dials we all had were analog and not digital so the whole thing gets kind of hazey - call Bill Wyman, he should remember.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 12, 2013 01:51

What a drag it is getting old! Can't remember the bloody time...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 12, 2013 02:53

I've wondered about dropping the definite article (a more recent trend?) "The Rolling Stones" vs. "Rolling Stones". Voodoo Lounge has them as "Rolling Stones", e.g.

Date: July 12, 2013 03:15

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you so much for waiting. Would you welcome please, ....Rolling Stones!"

Nah, leave it in.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 12, 2013 03:47

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
More Hot Rocks

That's it! How did you guess? smiling smiley

I'll be at Th rolling Stones exhibition in Cleveland in a few week. There are two floors dedicated to them at The Hall Of Fame. If i see anything to this subject i will let you know.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 12, 2013 04:50

stonehearted
StrawberriesBlueberries
So according to Bill they didn't really prefer "Rollin'"? Or at least not all members? I have read, that they did choose "Rollin'" because of the Muddy Waters song or line that didn't have the "g" either. But maybe Bill doesn't know these details, at least not first hand, because he wasn't in the band yet, when the name came up first. I remember someone posting a letter by Brian Jones here once, where he confirmed the first gig at the Marquee, and it said "Rollin' Stones", so I can imagine, it was maybe especially Brian, who wanted to leave off the "g".

According to Keith, the name was chosen all of a sudden one day when Brian was on the phone to Jazz News, probably seeking to get an advert listed for the band's gigs, and when asked what the name of their band was--because they didn't have one yet apparently--Brian looked about the room and fixed his eyes on a Muddy Waters record that was lying nearby, and picked out one of the song titles, which was "Rollin' Stone".

The letter by Brian is also shown in Bill's book. Perhaps you are right, in that they might want to keep it the same as the song that inspired them--but I would also imagine that they didn't always have control over the printing of media adverts and club flyers, which would be drawn up by several other people who wouldn't have been in the know about the Muddy Waters song connection, so that's my impression of how the differences in spelling would come about over several months, until ALO would come along to definitively organize the spelling for publishing and advertising sources.

I believe this is the letter you were referring to, the one Brian wrote to Jazz News informing them of their upcoming gig at the Marquee on July 12, 1962.

Yet, in the hands of a third-party media source (probably Jazz News) making mention of The Stones' debut that July 12 at the Marquee, a "g" is added:

Here's another one by Brian, which also appears in Bill's book, written to the BBC's Jazz Club asking for an audition, same use of "Rollin'":

The second letter is transcribed below:

102 Edith Grove
London SW10
Dear Sir,

I am writing on the behalf of the 'Rollin' Stones' Rhythm and Blues band. We have noticed recently in the musical press that you are seeking fresh talent for 'Jazz Club.

We have West-End residencies at the Flamingo jazz club on Mondays, and at the Marquee jazz club on Thursdays, as well as several other suburban residencies.. We already have a large following in the London area, and in view of the recent increase of interest in Rhythm and Blues in Britain, an exceptionally good future has been predicted for us by many people.

Our front line consists of: vocal + harmonica (electric), and two guitars, supported by a rhythm section comprising bass, piano and drums. Our musical policy is is simply to produce an authentic Chicago Rhythm and Blues sound, using material of which R+B greats as Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolk, Bo Diddley, Jimmy Reid, and many others.

We wonder if you could possibly arrange for us an audition. We look forward eagerly to hearing from you,

Yours faithfully, Brian Jones.

The application form for the Jazz Club audition also appears in Bill's book, and also appears with "Rollin'". Also in Bill's book is "the band's handwritten draft of the advert for their regular shows in January 1963", again with "Rollin'".

What we can conclude is this: The band named themselves after a Muddy Waters song, and so spelled it the way it appeared on the record. The band knew the song and the record, and the rest of the world didn't. To the band, they were The Rollin' Stones. To the outside world, they were more often The Rolling Stones. When ALO came along, he seems to have decided to avert any confusion and just go with Rolling thereafter.

This is really cool thanks for sharing.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home