Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Son Of Beatle Outshines His Famous Father!
Date: June 19, 2013 06:55

Wow! Just finished listening to James McCartney's new album "ME". An absolute masterpiece! Honestly better than anything Paul has ever done on his own! In my humble opinion of course!

Re: OT: Son Of Beatle Outshines His Famous Father!
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 19, 2013 06:59

JumpinJackOLantern
Wow! Just finished listening to James McCartney's new album "ME". An absolute masterpiece! Honestly better than anything Paul has ever done on his own! In my humble opinion of course!

Big statement! Curious, what's your take on the Paul/Nirvana song on Sound City? I love it. Possibly my favorite by either faction. Admittedly, I'm a John guy though.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:12

Thrylan
JumpinJackOLantern

Big statement! Curious, what's your take on the Paul/Nirvana song on Sound City? I love it. Possibly my favorite by either faction. Admittedly, I'm a John guy though.

Haven't heard it. I generally love just about anything Paul does. James may never be as popular as his father but he is going to be at least his equal, if not better, as a song writer.

I sure hope he can hook up with the other sons of the Beatles some day and create some real magic.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:26

I try to not put unfair expectations on any sons....Beatles or otherwise. I'll have to check him out. To even compare with Paul in the "hooks" department is huge. I saw Jakob Dylan open for Clapton in May. He was good, but I was amused, he had all of his father's surliness, without the "cache." It was kind of funny.....but what is a son of a Giant to do?

Date: June 19, 2013 07:37

Thrylan
I try to not put unfair expectations on any sons....Beatles or otherwise. I'll have to check him out. To even compare with Paul in the "hooks" department is huge. I saw Jakob Dylan open for Clapton in May. He was good, but I was amused, he had all of his father's surliness, without the "cache." It was kind of funny.....but what is a son of a Giant to do?

Every individual has to chart their own course. Most children of icons choose another path than that of their famous parents, however, there are many examples of the kids outshining their parents. Peyton and Eli Manning come to mind instantly.

The thing that is so cool about the sons of the Beatles is they look so damn much like their fathers. If they have just an ounce of talent they could turn it into a gold mine of their own, and bring joy to millions in the process.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:42

True...so true. Zak is cool...LOVED Dhani at the George tribute. Really thought it was funny how the older men onstage weren't nearly as thrilled with Prince going off on WMGGW, Dhani seemed to really dig it! Will it be Julian or Sean? I'm not up on this as I should be.....the Stones and Keith's health keep me busy right now.lol

Date: June 19, 2013 07:51

Thrylan
True...so true. Zak is cool...LOVED Dhani at the George tribute. Really thought it was funny how the older men onstage weren't nearly as thrilled with Prince going off on WMGGW, Dhani seemed to really dig it! Will it be Julian or Sean? I'm not up on this as I should be.....the Stones and Keith's health keep me busy right now.lol

I think Sean is more likely. It all comes down to how comfortable they all are with the idea. No doubt there will be much resistance to such an idea. The sacred legacy of the Beatles will be thought to be in jeopardy. Of course that is just nonsense. Any promoter with half a brain would love to promote such an endeavor.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:55

No doubt....I agree it should be Sean. Julian evoked quite a bit of John, and has kind of disappeared. I think Sean has a bit more of the "Lennon edge", which would serve them well. I can hear him saying something like, "why the $%&# should I care what my father did!?!" That attitude would help break the mold.

Date: June 19, 2013 08:00

Thrylan
No doubt....I agree it should be Sean. Julian evoked quite a bit of John, and has kind of disappeared. I think Sean has a bit more of the "Lennon edge", which would serve them well. I can hear him saying something like, "why the $%&# should I care what my father did!?!" That attitude would help break the mold.

Did you see him on Leno last year with Yoko? He is an absolute clone of his father. Even has John's wit. Just imagine him, James, Dhani, and either Zak or the other Ringo son on stage together. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Date: June 19, 2013 08:06

Didn't see him....but the devastating wit IS the key for dealing with the shadow. Check out that Sound City tune with Paul....I don't know if I have ever seen him so aggressive! He plays slide..at one point shouts out "Mama!"and it's straight John.....very powerful, to me anyway.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 19, 2013 08:23

Thrylan
Didn't see him....but the devastating wit IS the key for dealing with the shadow. Check out that Sound City tune with Paul....I don't know if I have ever seen him so aggressive! He plays slide..at one point shouts out "Mama!"and it's straight John.....very powerful, to me anyway.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Magazine World....

I wonder what Kurt Cobain would think, having his old band hijacked by the Beatle whose work would at times embarrass him....

Date: June 19, 2013 08:29

I'm cool with it.....who knew the drummer had all the talent. Unfortunately, Keith has hardened me to junkies that can't handle it. Paul fit in nicely!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 19, 2013 10:53

To say James outshines his fathers solo carrer, which has lasted for over forty years, with one album he has just released, is crazy.

A similar statement would be something like Godess In The Doorway is better than any Stones album since 1978...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:30

I have listened to James stuff...and it is mediocre at best. There is no way it is better than the best of what Paul McCartney has done. It is quaint and some of it is nice, but also pretty shallow and not a lot of variety. And the voice. Paul has one of the best rock n' roll voices out there, and James just doesn't come close to the versatility and power of Paul's voice.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:07

So true, whitem8. I wasn't sure if this was a comedy thread to be honest /if unintentional comedy - "Sons Of The Beatles"/, but at least I hear one voice of reason...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:15

This entire thread is a farce. Thanks for the entertainment. confused smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:15

Yeah, unless something miraculous has happened for that album, his material/voice/playing are "unspectacular" and his showmanship is close to nil...I just hope Paulywaul doesn't bump into this thread if not it's going to spoil his day/week/month!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:19

JumpinJackOLantern
Thrylan
JumpinJackOLantern

James may never be as popular as his father but he is going to be at least his equal, if not better, as a song writer.

Oh the hyperbole

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:31

JumpinJackOLantern
Thrylan

Did you see him on Leno last year with Yoko? He is an absolute clone of his father. Even has John's wit. Just imagine him, James, Dhani, and either Zak or the other Ringo son on stage together. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
So you want the sons of The Beatles to form a band and bring joy to millions of people but you can't even bother researching the name of Ringo's other son? That's just great.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:31

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Thrylan
JumpinJackOLantern

James may never be as popular as his father but he is going to be at least his equal, if not better, as a song writer.

Oh the hyperbole
Oh the insanity is more like it.

Date: June 19, 2013 19:00

GumbootCloggeroo
treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Thrylan
JumpinJackOLantern

Oh the hyperbole

I was going to go with 'Oh the humanity' but it sounded oddly out of place.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2013 19:01

treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo
treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Thrylan
JumpinJackOLantern

Oh the hyperbole

I was going to go with 'Oh the humanity' but it sounded oddly out of place.

Newman!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 19, 2013 22:59

He was on Letterman a while back. He sounded fine, kind of like Tom Petty.

Date: June 19, 2013 23:31

drbryant

who Newman?

See, this is the kind of confusion that occurs when we refuse to use the quote tool.

On the other hand, I guess if you quote too often, you might actually be called a quote tool.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 20, 2013 02:55

You have to remember that this "topic" was started by the same guy who thinks the Stones should've released the Some Girls outakes as their "new" CD! He also thinks the Stones are influenced by things they read on this board. If this was Survivor you woulda been voted off the island a LONG time ago!smiling smiley

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: June 20, 2013 03:37

i want what your on jumpingjack.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 20, 2013 03:50

I can't wait to hear what Mr Gaslightstreet has to say about this...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 20, 2013 05:24

treaclefingers
drbryant

who Newman?

See, this is the kind of confusion that occurs when we refuse to use the quote tool.

On the other hand, I guess if you quote too often, you might actually be called a quote tool.

McCartney. I haven't listened to any of his stuff, but this song was pretty good. Melody not too memorable, but he plays a nice phrase on the acoustic guitar on the chorus. It sounds a little like a Tom Petty tune to me - funny how this sounds more retro than something like Electric Arguments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-20 05:25 by drbryant.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 20, 2013 06:09

jazzbass
This entire thread is a farce. Thanks for the entertainment. confused smiley

Completely. Yeah, never mind Ram, Band on the Run, Tug of War, Venus and Mars (and "Yesterday", "Blackbird", that's Paul "on his own" isn't it?) ... all we needed is ME!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 20, 2013 07:13

Thread is a farce, just like the poster, yet alone a totally misleading subject title.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home