Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick's Meeting with Maggie and How ballet keeps him fit
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:12

To The Commander doesn't stand for anything politically but the refusal to pay taxes.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:09

elunsi
tomcasagranda
Here's what I said on CIF Guardian blog re: Mick. I quite like Mick, but he does have alarming Vicar of Bray tendencies, i.e. going with whosoever is in favour:

"There's a fascinating book, based on Lytton Strachey, entitled Eminent Elizabethans, by Piers Brendon. Brendon effectively interlinks Prince Charles, Rupert Murdoch, Lady Thatcher, and Mick Jagger. These four challenged the establishment, yet, secretly, and eventually, they all became part of the establishment. Thatcher challenged the Tory grandees, who didn't, at first, want a woman leader, Murdoch changed the hegemony of the press, Charles, initially rebelled against his family with speeches condemning architecture, but has since become establishment, and Jagger, too, was a rebellious figure, with his blues-based music, but is now part, too, of the establishment.

Jagger has, like the Vicar of Bray, moved with whatever is trendy, creating an utterly ambivalent image: politically, he was approached by Tom Driberg, circa Satanic Majesties / Beggars Banquet era, to stand for Labour. I think Driberg also had a crush on Jagger, so there may have been an ulterior motive in that respect. Jagger also had admiration for Thatcher, referring to her as "Iron Knickers", but he also had admiration for Tony Blair, and his knighthood was conferred on him by New Labour.

Certainly, Mick Jagger's Vicar of Bray tendencies are also reflected in his music, sometimes to the chagrin of Keith Richards, as per his Life autobiography: the disco music of Emotional Rescue single, and Undercover, certainly spring to mind. It has also led to him having to accede a writers' credit to Ben Mink and k.d.lang for Anybody's Seen My Baby".

You put things together which have nothing to do with each other AT ALL.
From "meeting" Thatcher to K.D. LAng?
50 years of Mick Jagger in 3 sentences?

I don't think I did: I contextualised how some might see Mick Jagger. Mick's politics are his own business, but he does seem to swim with whatever populist tide there is. This can also be evinced with his music, using the Dust Brothers on B2B, listening to what is popular in the discos, and good luck to him.

I have read Piers Brendon's book, and it is on my shelf, and you have to bear in mind that Brendon is being somewhat ironic in his analyses of the figures in Eminent Elizabethans, as was Lytton Strachey.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:22

MitchSeaGull
treaclefingers
MitchSeaGull
Maybe the reason Mick and the Stones were able to move back to England from France was Thatcher's lowering the exorbitant taxes that made them leave?

P.S. Am I the only one who doubts that he really moves 12 miles at every concert? that has to be a gag.

6 miles every hour? Possible, certainly in the early days...probably a bit of a stretch now, but it's definitely at least half that.

FYI, a top-notch tennis player in a two-hour match travels less than 3 miles.

Mick's got the catwalk though...

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home