Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Brief Summary of the Complainers vs. the Happy
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:48

OK - I suggest all the lengthy threads about complaints, bitchin' and moanin' be deleted as I can sum it up right here. Why the complainers bitch: They are in love with The Rolling Stones of, say- 1969 - 1982 in terms of live performances. They are enamored with how cool the Stones looked and sounded in their 20's and 30's and cannot accept the following facts which the happy fans are realistic enough to deal with:

The happy fans probably also love the 1969 - 1982 Stones when they were younger. The happy fans realize there does not exist a time machine to take us all back to 1972. Things change as people get older. The happy fans are thrilled that the Stones are still playing pretty damn good at age 70 in 2013. The happy fans are also willing to endure guests they might not love because they are getting ONE MORE CHANCE TO SEE THE LEGENDARY ROLLING F#@&G STONES! The complainers don't seem to realize how lucky we all are to see this band in the year 2013. They unrealistically seem to expect 70 year old musicians to play with same wild abandon they did in their 20's and 30's. There's no time machine. Have realistic expectation and you'll be much happier,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 16:50 by stonesdan60.

Re: Brief Summary of the Complainers vs. the Happy
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:22

Thank you for your input Dan.

I think I can deconstruct your claim with this...

The Stones were a recipe for a dish you absolutely loved.
Mick has switched out the salt and sugar.

You are proposing we continue to eat what used to be our favorite dish with a smile...even though it tastes like crap... Bring back the original recipe Dan, bring it back!!

When you taste the salt in your pudding or even worse, the sugar in your soup...it's all over now.

Lets hear it for a fruitful Perry free Keith solo career...

Date: May 12, 2013 17:30

Munichhilton

You are proposing we continue to eat what used to be our favorite dish with a smile...even though it tastes like crap... Bring back the original recipe Dan, bring it back!!

When you taste the salt in your pudding or even worse, the sugar in your soup...it's all over now.

Thank you for disputing my comments in a polite manner. That's how it should be. However, if you want to use the taste comparison, one person might love hamburgers and another may not care for them. I freely admit that the 2013 Stones on stage are a far cry from what they were in 1969 - 1982. However, my "taste" is still satisfied because they sound good even if a bit slowed down, they still put on a good show, and they do sound like The Rolling Stones - just a tamer version. I'm just happy they're touring at their age.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:30

Is this where we're meeting today?
I'll order the pizza.

Date: May 12, 2013 17:31

andrewt
Is this where we're meeting today?
I'll order the pizza.

I'll bring the beer!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:33

stonesdan60
Munichhilton

Thank you for disputing my comments in a polite manner. That's how it should be. However, if you want to use the taste comparison, one person might love hamburgers and another may not care for them. I freely admit that the 2013 Stones on stage are a far cry from what they were in 1969 - 1982. However, my "taste" is still satisfied because they sound good even if a bit slowed down, they still put on a good show, and they do sound like The Rolling Stones - just a tamer version. I'm just happy they're touring at their age.

Yeah but why pay Filet Mignon prices for a Big Mac?

Date: May 12, 2013 17:35

So this is the gluten free Stones?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:48

Munichhilton

very cleverly trying inject food into the discussion, i see. bv will be knocking on your door soon asking you why should be allowed to post at all.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:21

andrewt
stonesdan60
Munichhilton

Because you are older, wiser and much richer now than you were in 1972 and you can afford to. If not, you did something wrong along the way. My first car was $50, my last one was, well, let's just say it was a lot more than that.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:26

jazzbass
andrewt
stonesdan60
Munichhilton

Because you are older, wiser and much richer now than you were in 1972 and you can afford to. If not, you did something wrong along the way. My first car was $50, my last one was, well, let's just say it was a lot more than that.

my last one was $65...was yours even more?

Date: May 12, 2013 18:51

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

very cleverly trying inject food into the discussion, i see. bv will be knocking on your door soon asking you why should be allowed to post at all.

I'm hungry. I better grab some breakfast...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2013 19:28

"Complainers vs. Happy"

Is "Complainers" an outtake from the Nellcote sessions?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 19:47

stonesdan60
OK - I suggest all the lengthy threads about complaints, bitchin' and moanin' be deleted as I can sum it up right here. Why the complainers bitch: They are in love with The Rolling Stones of, say- 1969 - 1982 in terms of live performances. They are enamored with how cool the Stones looked and sounded in their 20's and 30's and cannot accept the following facts which the happy fans are realistic enough to deal with:

The happy fans probably also love the 1969 - 1982 Stones when they were younger. The happy fans realize there does not exist a time machine to take us all back to 1972. Things change as people get older. The happy fans are thrilled that the Stones are still playing pretty damn good at age 70 in 2013. The happy fans are also willing to endure guests they might not love because they are getting ONE MORE CHANCE TO SEE THE LEGENDARY ROLLING F#@&G STONES! The complainers don't seem to realize how lucky we all are to see this band in the year 2013. They unrealistically seem to expect 70 year old musicians to play with same wild abandon they did in their 20's and 30's. There's no time machine. Have realistic expectation and you'll be much happier,

Dan have you listened to the lyrics to it's only rock and roll?
In one sense the singer is talking about having an audience of fans who demand more and more and are never satisfied. If I poured my heart out on the page would it satisfy you? If I killed myself on stage would it satisfy you? Etc

It's a time honored tradition for stones fans to want more and better.

Date: May 12, 2013 19:49

Not more. Just better.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 12, 2013 19:57

Munichhilton

I'll bring the HP brown sauce - now that's what I call rock'n'roll.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: May 12, 2013 20:29

Munichhilton, Thank you for your excellent comments. I just hope the band changes it up before they get to the East Coast. They didn't last for 50 years playing this crap.

Date: May 12, 2013 20:33

I say let the whiners whine, and the cheerleaders cheer! We are all just one big dysfunctional family anyway, right?

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 12, 2013 20:40

My diagnosis:

The whiners caught a buzz a long time ago and are still chasing the same dragon. They can't achieve the same high the Stones gave them years ago for 2 reasons.

1. The whiners are past their glory days
2. The Stones are past their glory days.

Obviously, the Stones are past their prime, but we still love them and should be realistic with expectations. Anyone on this board think they could keep up with Mick at 70?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 12, 2013 20:48

Dan, I am 29. I do not long for a previous band. I am only complaining about two things.. OFFENSIVE ticket pricing and stale setlists. There is zero adventure with these shows. My favorite band has chosen to take almost no chances with song selection.

Apparently it is easier to add celebrity guests than to lower prices and play a varied setlist.

Date: May 12, 2013 20:54

mgshorr
My diagnosis:

The whiners caught a buzz a long time ago and are still chasing the same dragon. They can't achieve the same high the Stones gave them years ago for 2 reasons.

Obviously, the Stones are past their prime, but we still love them and should be realistic with expectations. Anyone on this board think they could keep up with Mick at 70?

Do you think that drugs may have had a little to do with the buzz?

Date: May 12, 2013 20:54

flacnvinyl
Dan, I am 29. I do not long for a previous band. I am only complaining about two things.. OFFENSIVE ticket pricing and stale setlists. There is zero adventure with these shows. My favorite band has chosen to take almost no chances with song selection.

Apparently it is easier to add celebrity guests than to lower prices and play a varied setlist.

I certainly understand where you're coming from. The ticket prices are out of many people's budget. As for stale setlists, Mick said in a recent interview that becaus this is an anniversary tour and many casual fans are not familiar with the rarities. There may be many people seeing the Stones for the 1st time. Mick knows they want to hear the familiar songs, thus the warhorses setlist. Oh well, I'm just glad they're still rocking the best they can at their advanced age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 21:10 by stonesdan60.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:01

JumpinJackOLantern
I say let the whiners whine, and the cheerleaders cheer! We are all just one big dysfunctional family anyway, right?

Absolutely. There's a huge variety of tastes, opinions, dispositions, age, cultural backgrounds and mother-tongues, and abilities to appreciate/understand music here.

People whine, people cheer. People are blinded by hero worship, people are intelligently objective. People defend their heroes, people call-out greed. People show their love, people complain for the hell of it.

The only thing that truly irks me here... is when people tell other people HOW TO POST. I fully support other people expressing vastly different opinions than mine. But if you tell me to stop doing this or that? Pfff...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 12, 2013 21:04

"Dan have you listened to the lyrics to it's only rock and roll?
In one sense the singer is talking about having an audience of fans who demand more and more and are never satisfied. If I poured my heart out on the page would it satisfy you? If I killed myself on stage would it satisfy you? Etc

It's a time honored tradition for stones fans to want more and better.[/quote]

Oh yeah, well acquainted with what IORR is all about. But like I said somewhere else, Mick said in a recent interview that he gets the feeling that when they do unfamiliar songs the casual fans (of which there seems to be many) get bored. This is a 50th anniversary tour and many people fear it will be their last. Thus, for the new and casual fans, Mick sticks to the songs that people will know. Too bad for us real Stones fans because we would recognize any thing they choose to dust off....

Date: May 12, 2013 21:04

sonomastone
stonesdan60

Dan have you listened to the lyrics to it's only rock and roll?

It's a time honored tradition for stones fans to want more and better.

Fans need to come to grips with the facts. The Stones are showmen first, and artists second. Mick has said that is what they love doing the most, putting on a great show. I still struggle with it, but I understand where he is coming from.

Date: May 12, 2013 21:06

JumpinJackOLantern

smileys with beer thumbs up

Date: May 12, 2013 21:08

mgshorr
My diagnosis:

Well said.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:09

Stonesdan60 - I can't agree with you more - spot on - we are lucky to still have them playing "live" - they are still the greatest show on Earth.
I last saw them in November at 02 London and it was GREAT!

Waiting for Hyde Park now... see you there... no whingeing here!!!

"till the next time..."

Star

Date: May 12, 2013 21:14

stonesdan60
JumpinJackOLantern

smileys with beer thumbs up

To be honest, I have been both! Usually on Tuesday's Thursday's and weekends I am a cheerleader. On Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's I am a whiner! smileys with beer

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:23

stonesdan60
Have realistic expectation and you'll be much happier,
thumbs up

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:26

U2Stonesfan
stonesdan60
Have realistic expectation and you'll be much happier,
thumbs up

If only the ticket prices were travelling in the same direction as your suggested lowered expectations, I'd still be 'on board'.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home