Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 13, 2014 18:09

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

There are a few overdubs in there, and the stuff on Miss You sound suspiciously like recent overdubs by Mick...

They're not. The dubs are already present on the very first KBFH broadcasts in 1982. It's just that we never noticed it in 30 years!

Mathijs
i know this goes without saying BUT the live pay per view was not overdubed. pure and raw the way it was meant to be . let it be ,let it be , let it be free from editing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 19:44 by TheGreek.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 14, 2014 01:53

Anybody know why Bobby was there, but only made a brief showing on saxconfused smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 14, 2014 06:47

shadooby
Anybody know why Bobby was there, but only made a brief showing on saxconfused smiley

I don't know, but you notice in the booklet they give him credit for the sax solo on Waiting On a Friend?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 14, 2014 10:15

Just watched about half of the Blu Ray. Man, that is some sonic upgrade from the boot. And now that I can hear Ronnie he does a fantastic job on Just My Imagination.

Date: November 14, 2014 10:20

shadooby

Well, he was hired for the entire 82 tour, so it's reasonable to assume that they already had come to some sort of agreement at the end of the 81 tour - hence he guested.

Hampton debuts at #120 on Billboard
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 13, 2014 23:07

Hampton debuts at #120 on Billboard and #2 at Music Vídeos chart, it sold around 4,000 copies, the dvd more than 7,000.

Re: Hampton debuts at #120 on Billboard
Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: November 14, 2014 01:07

Sad Sad Sad

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 14, 2014 01:24

"Sad"?? Why? Firstly, the huge majority of the Stones fans had already Hampton disc/DVD. Secondly, given this fact, #2 at Music Videos isn't that bad...

Date: November 14, 2014 01:40

Anybody know why Bobby was there, but only made a brief showing on sax?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 14, 2014 01:48

<<it sold around 4,000 copies>>

Without my purchase, it would have been around 3,999 copies, so I'm glad I could help push it up to a nice round number.

I bought the version with both CDs plus the DVD, so I can watch the show on weekend beer nights and listen to the show during weekday work nights.

Date: November 14, 2014 01:59

First Stones' album in the US to chart under the Top 100 of the Billboard 200.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:28

It hardly counts as an album.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:36

georgelicks
Hampton debuts at #120 on Billboard and #2 at Music Vídeos chart, it sold around 4,000 copies, the dvd more than 7,000.

George, any chance you could post figures for past concert DVDs such as Ft. Worth 78 and Ladies and Gentleman for some context?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:37

shadooby

In a nutshell: He was still on the outs with Mick after the champagne bath incident in '73. Keith had to ease him back into the fold.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:42

TeddyB1018
It hardly counts as an album.

Well it also was released as a download, so anyone REALLY wanting the music already downloaded it and made their own CD.

It really is a DVD release with a CD accompaniment, which explains why the DVD/CD package is outselling just the CD.

Date: November 14, 2014 02:42

JuanTCB
shadooby

In a nutshell: He was still on the outs with Mick after the champagne bath incident in '73. Keith had to ease him back into the fold.

Didn't he get the full gig back in the Europe leg though?

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:43

Well you can count my copy of the DVD to the list just bought mine in Australia last night.

Date: November 14, 2014 03:23

Justin
georgelicks

George, any chance you could post figures for past concert DVDs such as Ft. Worth 78 and Ladies and Gentleman for some context?

Ladies and Gentleman
Soundscan: 125,000 (June 2013)
Peak #1, 92 weeks on Top 40 Videos Chart

Live In Texas
Soundscan: 56,000 (June 2013)
Peak: #4, 57 weeks on Top 40 Videos Chart

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 14, 2014 09:24

georgelicks
Justin
georgelicks

Ladies and Gentleman
Soundscan: 125,000 (June 2013)
Peak #1, 92 weeks on Top 40 Videos Chart

Live In Texas
Soundscan: 56,000 (June 2013)
Peak: #4, 57 weeks on Top 40 Videos Chart

These figures amazes me. No matter how rare and celebrated item LIVE IN TEXAS was among the hardcore fans, it could't sell even a half of what LADIES AND GENTS did (an item many Stones fans have some kind of version already). This echoes the sales of EXILE against SOME GIRLS reissues. For some reason, no matter how popular, especially in USA, SOME GIRLS era was, it does not have such a big commercial appeal, or gather such big interest any longer, like their earlier doings do.

- Doxa

Date: November 14, 2014 10:27

L & G was a famous film that hadn't been officially released. Live In Texas never got the chance to receive that status.

Add the fact that the SG Tour was a small-scale, relatively obscure tour. These numbers don't surprise me at all - and if they do, it is because Live In Texas sold more than I expected smiling smiley

I wonder what the sales numbers would be when we add CDs and vinyls of Live In Texas into the mix?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 14, 2014 11:49

These numbers say all there is to say about the status of the market these days.

Approximately only 1/100 of those who attended the bigger bang tour felt the need to buy the best seller L&G!

Yes, lack of communication one may say.

But if BVs stats are correct, IORRers alone should have generated more sales than 4,000 copies of Hampton. So even the informed hardcores couldn't give a damn.

The fact that all these were to a certain extent already available as bootlegs says nothing. I am sure that 90% of those who bought these releases already had the bootleg!

Fact is that these days it's getting harder and harder to sell music in the traditional way.

So artists and industry are forced to adapt: high tickets prices, merchandising, deals with content providers (see the recent U2/apple or Stones/ Google music examples), endorsements, etc. etc.

The purpose of traditional releases today is maybe only to remind us that that this is still a "music" business ...

C

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 14, 2014 11:58

Doxa
Last week I saw Live in Texas DVD for 5 Euros in local FNAC. Huge pile of those in discount section. You know... It is dirt cheap these days.

And I remember how it was prized in the times only bootleg was around. Life is funny.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 14, 2014 12:29

DandelionPowderman
L & G was a famous film that hadn't been officially released. Live In Texas never got the chance to receive that status.

Add the fact that the SG Tour was a small-scale, relatively obscure tour. These numbers don't surprise me at all - and if they do, it is because Live In Texas sold more than I expected smiling smiley

I wonder what the sales numbers would be when we add CDs and vinyls of Live In Texas into the mix?

Hmmm.. I'm not totally convinced by these reasons. True that L&G had some sort of cult fame, but I don't think that only gathered interest. I simply think that the concept of Rolling Stones live 1972, in the top of their prime time, has a certain sexy appeal an sich. There is something Beatle-like magic and magnenetism involved in that era that seems to have a huge historical value even to the people who are not Rolling Stones maniacs. The hype over EXILE deluxe release at the time tells the same story. The father time has not been so kind to SOME GIRLS era, even though it has a specific place among more us hardcore fans. SOME GIRLS was a huge hit album at the time, had some great songs to be remembered, but somehow the zeitgeist wasn't in their side any longer to have such a big impact on cultural memory as their earlier doings had. Anyway, that's been the impression I have got during the recent years.

That of 1978 being an "obscure small-scale" tour... weren't all of their tours before it - expect the Tour of Americas - more or less similar to it? For example, American Tour 69 wasn't any bigger, or basically 1972 one either? Generally, I don't think the size of the tour has much to do with how interesting a particular show could be. The contextual attraction comes from something else I think.

Still I am rather surprised why such an exciting item - a whole never seen fabulous concert film of The Rolling Stones in concert in their still relatively relevant days - gathered a rather lame reception (sales, music press, etc.) Actually I was rather disappointed for that, because the film simply is a killer...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-14 12:37 by Doxa.

european version of hampton live 1981.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 19:02

been looking for this on amazon.co.uk for over a week, all i seem to come across is the american versions in any format i search in, has it not been released yet in the uk, anyone know. im looking for dvd and cd.

i bought bridges to babylon last year and when i went to play it, it told me its in the wrong region. was well choked.

Re: european version of hampton live 1981.
Date: November 13, 2014 19:17

It might make your life easier to just get a region free , code free disc player (with SA-CD) such as this :

* [www.mrmdvd.com] *

+

* [www.amazon.com] *

Also,the acclaimed Oppo players can be modified to be region free,if I recall correctly.

Date: November 13, 2014 19:22

cheers winning ugly, i tend to buy a lot of dvd,s and cd,s on amazon and usually come across many which are available for use both sides of the atlantic.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 13, 2014 21:25

You could always buy a BD/DVD player from Australia or New Zealand there only $50 here, as they can play any region, especially any SONY player, for some reason they made them like that....thank goodness

Trademe.co.nz

or Ebay.com.au

Date: November 13, 2014 21:54

ive got a decent dvd player back here in scotland and everyone bar one of all the stones dvd,s i bought was compatible with it. i just done get why i cant find even one uk compatible release of the hampton 1981 gig. shouldnt be surprised really, the stones seem to miss scotland out a lot, are we some kind of musical backwater to them.

Date: November 13, 2014 22:19

The Hampton DVD played fine on my ancient PAL-formatted Philips-player.

I bought the LP/DVD set at the Amazon UK web store.

Check if your DVD plays in a friend's player. Might be a flaw with your copy?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:30

As far as I can see it from the Artwork (here the L.A. Forum), the DVD is Region 0, this means the DVD is as good as playable in all regions worldwide. The DVD itself is in NTSC format, but some DVD-Players and/or TV sets in Europe (because they're designed for PAL) are unfortunately not able to play NTSC properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 23:35 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home