Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lefty Dizz, remembering with the Stones?
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:48

Lefty Dizz, today's anniversary of his birthday.
One of the Chicago Bluesman.

What a final show!!

Carlitos
Tenerife
[www.dirtyrock.eu]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 02:51 by carlitosbaez.

Re: OT: Lefty Dizz, remembering with the Stones?
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 30, 2013 04:32

Lefty Dizz is terrible. I want to like him but his me-too performance with Muddy and Keith, Ronnie and Mick, is terrible. He doesn't play guitar... or I should say he doesn't play it like an instrument. He plays it like a maraca. Horrible..

He ruined every moment in the DVD. Sucks all the energy out of the performance.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 30, 2013 04:41

I would have ran out and bought this DVD but they've shown it so many times on PBS, and I don't need to hear this guy again.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:00

He's not terrible. He certainly isn't a great guitarist but he has that unusual style, playing the guitar upside down that makes it at least quite fascinating. I love that video. In many ways, because it shows the stones in an environment that we're not used to seeing, I enjoy it more than many of the commercially released shows that were to follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 06:02 by drbryant.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:10

Here is Lefty interrupting Keith and Ronnie solos with bum notes and attempts at stealing the spotlight. Someone on youtube said he 'stole the show' and I felt like he ruined the thing.

I watched the boot several times a while back, and was thrilled to see the Muddy Waters gig finally get a proper release. The release could have been great if there was a 'mute Lizzy' feature.

Side note: I have read that he was a super kind gregarious guy. I have nothing against him on a personal level

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:38

That first clip where he tries to sing is even worse...unintelligible. I think I read he had a bit too much to drink before the show that night.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:41

kovach
That first clip where he tries to sing is even worse...unintelligible. I think I read he had a bit too much to drink before the show that night.

I think he had that in common with a few people on that stage...

Date: April 30, 2013 16:49

I haven't heard anything from Lefty, except for his performance here. I choose to belive that apart from the surprising amount of bum notes he plays, the unnecassary interruptions, his drunkenness and his grotesque singing - he's probably a nice guy...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:02

DandelionPowderman
I haven't heard anything from Lefty, except for his performance here. I choose to belive that apart from the surprising amount of bum notes he plays, the unnecassary interruptions, his drunkenness and his grotesque singing - he's probably a nice guy...

Well sure....overlooking that stuff I guess...he's sorta like the drunk uncle...

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: June 3, 2014 07:30

Just watchin the Checkerboard Show, personally I can understand how unbelievably excited everyone involved was, obviously Lefty imbibed a tad too much before proceedings, but to be honest, who hasn't before the Stones appear! I dislike but accept the criticism of his performance, but I love the fact that it verges on total disaster the entire time, yet somehow manages to keep rolling....Plus he's the only person I've ever seen, damn near tumble into Keith and survive, the stage crasher at Hampton comes to mind as a fool who stepped too far.

Anyway I will say that in the DVD extra's the quality of the footage "Black Limousine" is far less than the 4Reel Boot, perhaps this is why "Hampton 81" hasn't been officially released....maybe their master is crap, because the colour bleed (Green) is very dodgy, I think they are trying to bring up the audience for some strange reason, if you look at the fringes of the picture...I'm not interested in the crowd and can't understand why someone would have tried.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 3, 2014 07:38

I love the Checkerboard show, even the stage hogging that goes on ( part of the blues club culture, I think). Lefty's playing upside-down was pretty amazing - never saw a guy play a guitar like that. Just shows what the human brain is capable of.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home