Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did you ever miss a Stones Show, although you were at the location?
Date: April 24, 2013 03:06

I was just thinking about my RS Tour experiences and I remember one show (= no show) which was a disaster for me.

I was travelling to Amsterdam without a ticket - never took that risk before, but as I always did see people who sell tickets before big stadium shows, I thought it would be realistic to get a ticket.

Problem was, I was quite late, as my train stopped as soon as I entered, due to special circumstances (a suicide) and so I couldn´t make it in time any more (train fiasco). The show had already started and no tickets were available - only some doubtful and overprized ticket sellers - which I wasn´t willing to pay as the show was already on....So I had to stay outside after a ca. 7 hours drive...I was crying....
Okay, I had a ticket for the Ahoy, Rotterdam, which was my "main attraction" - but still, that was really disappointing.

Something similar happened to my friends who had a long ride to Lausanne, I was in - they couldn´t get tickets, because they were too late (travelling from one show to another with a little stop at home)

Well, we have seen a lot of Stones Shows, so all in all, we survived, although it was a tragedy for the moment - to be there and not to get in.

Just wondering, did anybody of you have similar experiences and like to share??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 03:12 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Re: Did you ever miss a Stones Show, although you were at the location?
Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:19

I don't know if that's relevant to the topic but although I've seen the Stones in Toronto, Montreal and Boston throughout the years, I didn't go to their show when they came to Quebec City in '98 (although that's the nearest city from where I live).

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:32

A freind of mine was living across the road from Hyde park in '69 but couldn't be bothered to go down there................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 04:49 by EddieByword.

Date: April 24, 2013 03:34

OMG that just reminds me of another situation:
They once opened their tour quite close to where I live - I did go to the concert, but not to have a look (because of a distressing personal situation), although they were in town a week or so before...what a shame...

And another one: ....arriving in Berlin a few days early in order to see what´s going on.....only to be informed, nothing going on, it´s delayed, as Keith has broken his rip or so....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 24, 2013 04:29

EddieByword
A freind of mine was living across the road from Hyde park in '69 but couldn't be bothtered to go down there................

Rotten Beatles fans show no respect for Rock n Roll

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 24, 2013 04:40

I blew off the Buffalo show in 1997 (?)though I live close enough to the stadium that I could hear the show from my house. Then again, 40,000 other people blew it off as they played to a less than half full venue. I remember thinking for the first time that their days of drawing instant stadium sellouts was over.

Posted by: rich-wdc ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:06

Back in '89, STEEL WHEELS, my buddy and I were so hard-headed that we would ONLY accept field/floor tix. We honestly would not sit in the regular stadium bowl. (The prices were no issue back then.)

So, for three of the thirteen shows we tried to go to we did not go into the show and either stayed in the parking lot or left out! One was Shea Stadium, one Foxboro/Sullivan Stadium, and the other maybe was another Foxboro show (I'm forgetting this very second but I do totally remember that 3 of the 13 we did not get into because we were unable to find floor seating!)

Ahhhh...to be young and dumb!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:31

There have been times (outside MSG, mainly) where I either couldn't score a ticket outside the venue or, in one case, bought a fake one and got denied by the ticket takers - and just wound up going home.

Oh, and in December when I had the flu and blew off going down to Barclays, even though it was only a few subway stops away from me. Of course, I didn't have a ticket, so the decision wasn't too tough.

But it always sucks knowing there mere miles (or meters) away playing and not being there to witness it firsthand.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:31

There have been times (outside MSG, mainly) where I either couldn't score a ticket outside the venue or, in one case, bought a fake one and got denied by the ticket takers - and just wound up going home.

Oh, and in December when I had the flu and blew off going down to Barclays, even though it was only a few subway stops away from me. Of course, I didn't have a ticket, so the decision wasn't too tough.

But it always sucks knowing they're mere miles (or meters) away playing and not being there to witness it firsthand.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:50

After sleeping out on the streets of Chicago for tickets, we made it to the show in '89 just 10 minutes before the band went on stage... close call!

Date: April 24, 2013 07:26

No, but I had an out of body experience one time and attended a Stones concert I didn't attend!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2013 07:31

No cool with Stones shows BUT turned up a week late to a Buddy Guy-Jnr Wells show back in the 70's.....
Man that one stung ... miss read the date on ticket ...

Still laugh at how we thought we were so lucky scorin' a park right out
front of Venue...And then walking to main doors and thinking we were first there ... dumb and dumber

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 24, 2013 10:45

I've mentioned before that I was at Sir Morgans Cove but couldn't get in .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 10:45 by boston2006.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 24, 2013 12:02

I was selling the lithographs outside Shepherds Bush in 99. Some one from tour management came out with a ticket and wristband for my boss but not for me. Sat in the pub next door and drowned my sorrows.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 24, 2013 12:07

Rockman
No cool with Stones shows BUT turned up a week late to a Buddy Guy-Jnr Wells show back in the 70's.....

front of Venue...And then walking to main doors and thinking we were first there ... dumb and dumber

Happened to me too, Pearl Jam concert some years ago. Turned up 1 day late. Same comment after parking the car etc. Drove back home and never told anyone ... When asked, it was a great concert!

C

Date: April 24, 2013 12:15

....not feelin' so all alone now liddas ...hhuh!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: April 24, 2013 12:45

Rockman

better not be late on the 28th Rockman or i'll be off with out ya......

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2013 12:46

I remember missing about 15 minutes at Wembley 99. The Stones had gone out to the centre stage and someone passed me the strongest spliff I'd ever tried. 15 minutes after they got back to the A stage I was still looking at the vacant space in the middle of the stadium. smoking smiley

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 24, 2013 13:01

A couple of weeks after the O2 shows last year (on which I passed for price reasons), I was in London at the O2 to watch "The war of the worlds" with colleagues, on free tickets I would have never bought myself. All the time I was thinking, why couldn't they have planned our company's little outing some weeks earlier?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 13:03 by Limbostone.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 24, 2013 13:09

No, but I've missed plenty that I was not at the location.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 24, 2013 13:12

Munichhilton
EddieByword
A freind of mine was living across the road from Hyde park in '69 but couldn't be bothtered to go down there................

My brother-in-law on the other hand, got thrown out of the British Royal Naval Academy on the morning , made his way to London and enjoyed every minute..........

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 24, 2013 13:21

I never missed a Stones show when I was at the venue. I had such an experience at Berlin, I missed Barenboim and the Staatskapelle, and another time I missed Paolo Conte. On both nights I got very drunk, there was no other way than dealing with my disappointment.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 24, 2013 14:04

liddas
Rockman

Happened to me too, Pearl Jam concert some years ago. Turned up 1 day late. Same comment after parking the car etc. Drove back home and never told anyone ... When asked, it was a great concert!

C

Same with me in Prague with DAVID BOWIE - 1994 or 1995, the announcements were all written in Czech language - as I´m from Germany I read a word that came close to January, but it was March.

I also had this wonderful experience, being "the first" at the stadium at 6 pm. My god.....

Date: April 24, 2013 14:20

better not be late on the 28th Rockman or i'll be off with out ya......

..... I'll be there ... it's gettin' back that'll be the hard one ...hehheh

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: April 24, 2013 14:55

I had a last minute business trip to Milwaukee in 2005 on the same night the stones were playing. The arena was just a couple blocks from my hotel. I tried to buy tickets online, but they were sold out. I did not have enough cash on me to buy from a scalper, and I don't use a debit card. I walked down to the arena anyhow, and went to the box office, but again sold out.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 24, 2013 15:14

I was standing in front of the stadium hours before
the second Hannover show 1990, and couldn´t buy a ticket.
I was totally broke from the event the day before.drinking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2013 15:33

Saw them each time they played in a stadium near me from 1990 to 2002 (1990, 2x1995, 1997, 2x 1999 and 2x2002) and was in front of the Olympia in 1995 with no ticket...

Then I was in Paris when they played in 2003, 2006, 2007 but couldn't really be bothered to go as I'd decided that they wouldn't top the excellent 2002 show I saw in Oakland...until the Trabendo ten years later!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 24, 2013 15:51

yes... msg in 1981 (saw them in Philly that year though...)

Also msg ... whatever the year was for No Security.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 24, 2013 17:16

EddieByword
Munichhilton
EddieByword

My brother-in-law on the other hand, got thrown out of the British Royal Naval Academy on the morning , made his way to London and enjoyed every minute..........

Man's Game!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 24, 2013 17:24

San Diego 1972...But I was only 13yo and not able to attend by myself.

I've forgotten last year, the Paris private gig, was outside the venue but couldn't get in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 17:25 by leteyer.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2337
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home