Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Anyone else not care at all about the Superbowl?
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:26

Football's just not our sport up here in Canada.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:44

jamesfdouglas

the cfl is where all the guys who can't cut in the nfl go to play and freeze to death.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:46

T&A
jamesfdouglas

the cfl is where all the guys who can't cut in the nfl go to play and freeze to death.

Again, football just ain't our thing...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 4, 2013 18:53

jamesfdouglas
T&A
jamesfdouglas

Again, football just ain't our thing...

curling and hockey are noble endeavors. if it can be done on ice, then trust the canadians to get 'er dun....

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 4, 2013 19:04

jamesfdouglas

That's because you guys stink up there. You don't have the great players we have down here when it comes to NFL football.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 4, 2013 19:24

treaclefingers
Koen
'Soccer' comes from the term 'Association Football'.

I don't believe you...why isn't it called "Asoccball' then? Huh?!

It is.

Rugger and soccer.

Public schoolboy twit talk.

Rugby and Association Football.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 4, 2013 19:42

now with the super bowl out of the way ,it's time for baseball.america's real game .

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 4, 2013 21:02

TheGreek
now with the super bowl out of the way ,it's time for baseball.america's real game .

Latin America's real game.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 4, 2013 21:18

Since this discussion drifted to other sports...

During the 24 days I spent in Australia and New Zealand, when I retired to my hotel room in the evening, I turned on the TV watched cricket, not because I liked it, but because I wanted to understand it. After at least 8 to 10 hours of viewing the sport, I was no more informed about the game as I was when I first turned it on.

Can people really say that about any other sport including American or European Football, basketball, hockey, rugby or even baseball?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 4, 2013 21:21

jamesfdouglas

Lucky you,in the USA it surpasses art,music,literature,education and travel. It
is what the culture has been reduced to.

Date: February 4, 2013 21:26

BluzDude
Since this discussion drifted to other sports...

During the 24 days I spent in Australia and New Zealand, when I retired to my hotel room in the evening, I turned on the TV watched cricket, not because I liked it, but because I wanted to understand it. After at least 8 to 10 hours of viewing the sport, I was no more informed about the game as I was when I first turned it on.

was it the thick aussie accents of the announcers or something that you couldn't understand? were you drinking excessive amounts of fosters?

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: February 4, 2013 21:39

varilla
Why is it called football if you play mainly with your hands?
Football is what we play in South America and the rest of the world but we really plat with our feet.....

By the way, what does soccer means?
Why? I have the answer but I think it's only understandable in french.
Why? Because ils jouent comme des pieds >grinning smiley<

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 4, 2013 22:50

I LOVE the Super Bowl more than most guys! It should be a national HOLIDAY! I love the pomp, the commercials, the whole vibe! What's not to love!?

Date: February 4, 2013 22:52

mickschix
I LOVE the Super Bowl more than most guys! It should be a national HOLIDAY! I love the pomp, the commercials, the whole vibe! What's not to love!?

aside from murderers being feted as heroes and grotesque ads?

Date: February 4, 2013 22:57

mickschix

You ought to get out more.

Date: February 4, 2013 23:07

Like I said, WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!?

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: February 4, 2013 23:14

Many people DO love it. Almost 115 million people watched it. it is, by far, the most popular sport in USA. I wish there was more interest in soccer here but it just doesn't seem able to take off.

Date: February 4, 2013 23:19

mickschix
Like I said, WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!?

Everything, except the cheerleaders.

Date: February 4, 2013 23:37

T&A
mickschix

aside from murderers being feted as heroes and grotesque ads?

Yes there are some guys in the NFL and NBA I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley but is soccer such a clean/feel good sport? How many times have there been riots where dozens of people were killed?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 4, 2013 23:43

not me i'm in it for the wings.

Date: February 5, 2013 00:59

I can't believe so many GUYS are not into football. Just kind of curious....it IS an event if you want it to be. We have a party, lots of really great food, drinks flow, everyone has a team to cheer on, it can get routy, funny and never dull! We made fun of Beyounce, cheered the Bud commercial with the horse, and the baby in the ETRADE commercial...it was a blast!

Date: February 5, 2013 01:16

mickschix
I can't believe so many GUYS are not into football. Just kind of curious....it IS an event if you want it to be. We have a party, lots of really great food, drinks flow, everyone has a team to cheer on, it can get routy, funny and never dull! We made fun of Beyounce, cheered the Bud commercial with the horse, and the baby in the ETRADE commercial...it was a blast!

pop quiz - who won the first two super bowls (before it was called the super bowl) - and who was the winning coach? oh, and who played him in a hollywood movie?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 5, 2013 01:39

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-05 15:36 by tatters.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2013 01:55

2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
2000 LYFH
varilla
Why is it called football if you play mainly with your hands?
Football is what we play in South America and the rest of the world but we really plat with our feet.....

By the way, what does soccer means?

Because it's the name of the ball, as in "throw me the football, stupid"!smoking smiley

With that logic, shouldn't the name of the game really be "Parallel Striped Egg Ball"?

What! "throw me the Parallel Striped Egg Ball stupid", I don't know - well maybe you are on to something!

I guess they could just shorten it to "Striped Egg Ball".

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 01:59

paulywaul
flacnvinyl
I follow music like others follow sports and I really just don't care about the Superbowl. Instead, I'll put on some music, maybe play some Halo 4, something, anything except watch the game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy football and my dad is a baseball historian so I have a great love of the MLB, but I really just don't care.

Curious if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

Personally, I don't really understand how English football manages to be of the slightest interest to anyone at all, and I don't understand how American football even works, so whether it's the "cup final" in the UK or the "Superbowl" in the U.S. - it's all a bit meaningless to me. So you're not alone.

As a footnote, the ONLY time I'm interested in football is once every four years when the world cup comes around, and my enjoyment of that competition stems mainly from seeing (as one does on occasions) some little upstart nation that barely even has a national team or league thrash one of the established "giants" of the game. I just laugh, listening to the panel of experts commentating on the game, discussing this cataclysmic event - as if it's something of earth shaking world changing importance ? Idiots .... it's a f***ing game, nothing more and nothing less. And some you win & some you lose, that's all there is to it !

Vote for the underdog, that's what I say .....

No problem! That's certainly your right. No different than the fact millions of people wouldn't walk across the street to watch the Rolling Stones perform.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: February 5, 2013 02:07

T&A
mickschix

pop quiz - who won the first two super bowls (before it was called the super bowl) - and who was the winning coach? oh, and who played him in a hollywood movie?

I'll say the Baltimore Orioles and for coach, gotta go with Hayden Fox, of course played by the immortal Craig T. Nelson.

Next time ask something that requires effort.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 5, 2013 12:44

Not interested in any sport, I didn't bother with any of the Olympics.

I was flying home from the first No Security shows in '99 and the Superbowl was on TV at SF airport bar, lots of people crowded round. Sat at the other end of bar was Jim Callaghan so I got to chat to him about Stones matters.

Date: February 5, 2013 19:54

FrankM
jamesfdouglas

That's because you guys stink up there. You don't have the great players we have down here when it comes to NFL football.

...and that's why we worship you FrankM.

You're just so damned cool.

Date: February 5, 2013 22:53

treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas

...and that's why we worship you FrankM.

You're just so damned cool.

I think worship might be too strong of a word. I think the sentiments you are feeling are more along the lines of a good old fashioned "man crush".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-05 22:54 by FrankM.

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: February 5, 2013 23:40

LOVE music, hate sports. I have TRIED to like sports. I just find them boring. When I love a band, I can listen to their album or watch a video of their concert over and over and not be bored. I can't even get through a football game once without falling asleep. What's the point? But millions love to watch sports, so I must be missing something. In a way, I am glad I don't like them. The time I DON'T spend watching sports I use to:
1. Catch up on new music
2. Practice my guitar, drums and harmonica
3. Read
4. Sleep
5. Go shopping (The stores are empty when there is a big game)
6. Watch a movie
7. Paint something and watch it dry. (Yes, even this is more exciting to me than any sporting event).

I got sick of pretending I was going to watch this or that "big game" a few years ago, and now I just say "no, doesn't interest me". I get some strange looks, but that's ok- never wanted to blend in anyway. Every once in a while, someone will say to me "yeah, I am not interested either, but it seems to be the thing to chat about today." Sheeple.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home