Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Miss You
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 19:24

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
You did, a few posts up.

Miss You, for me, is like Fool to Cry. I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I do.

Best single «since the 60s», I said. And it was.

The reason why you like it says a lot about why it is so brilliant.

But you are not clear Dandie. Do you mean best sold single or best single in terms of musical quality or both?

I am kleer. I said «the best single», not the best song smiling smiley

Except for Beast of Burden, Brown Sugar, Angie, It's Only Rock and Roll, Tumbling Dice, Wild Horses......grinning smiley. I actually like the song much more than I like what represented for Stones music...the end of the golden rock period.

That's what Angie represented....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 31, 2015 19:28

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
You did, a few posts up.

Miss You, for me, is like Fool to Cry. I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I do.

Best single «since the 60s», I said. And it was.

The reason why you like it says a lot about why it is so brilliant.

But you are not clear Dandie. Do you mean best sold single or best single in terms of musical quality or both?

I am kleer. I said «the best single», not the best song smiling smiley

Still not clear to me, but okay. smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2015 22:53

There were some fantastic versions on the '81 and '82 tours, with Bill killing it. I don't really understand the hatred of this song. It's Disco filtered through the Stones' rock filter. Disco was the pop music of '78, just like all the other pop styles the Stones turned into smash singles. The Beatles may have had more higher chartings singles, but Nobody bested the Stones in the number of styles they scored with. Some people just can't accept that the Stones were a pop band, and not just the Rock Gods of '68 - '72.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 1, 2015 00:33

24FPS
...I don't really understand the hatred of this song...

I don't understand that comment... granted I skimmed but it seems almost all love the song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 1, 2015 00:36

LeonidP
24FPS

I don't understand that comment... granted I skimmed but it seems almost all love the song.

I think a lot of us like the SG version somewhat but can't stand to hear it played live. There has been plenty of negative opinion expressed about this song on other threads.

Date: September 1, 2015 01:12

Naturalust
LeonidP
24FPS

I think a lot of us like the SG version somewhat but can't stand to hear it played live. There has been plenty of negative opinion expressed about this song on other threads.

You mean live versions from 1989 and on. Everybody loves the 78-82 versions.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 03:59

It is so easy after so much time to minimize Miss You's impact and importance in their history. Many folks are sick of the song, and I agree, live it has become somewhat rote. And many younger fans who weren't of age in 1978 don't get it as well.
Miss You was a MONSTER! By 78 the Stones seemed to be aimlessly kicking the pebble down the path. Some interesting forays into Funkrock...but then Punk rose like Godzilla scorching the dance floors setting bellbottoms a flame. And bloated dinosaurs of rock were in their sites. So against all odds, as the flaming corpse of disco was being being jeered and sliced, The Rolling Stones reach to their roots and create a hybrid Curtis Mayfield funk rock hit. This aint no glitter disco ball! This is a funk, punk, rock gumbo of angst, pain, and anger. An opera for divorce in Gotham. Alienated coke addled lovers realizing their fantasy is over. The atmosphere is dark and nihilistic. A rock star, left alone with his little black book and a coke spoon. Puerto Rican girls rumbling up from the Barrio to ride and party all night long. When in pain do what comes natural for a middle aged rock star, grind, sweat, and snort as the sun rips through his eyeballs and stains the walls. Miss You was a monster summer song. Detroit was steaming in a hot city summer. Miss you howling from the car windows, from hot kitchens, spitting like hot bacon grease on the arm! You wanna slap it! You wanna grab it! You wanna dance under a black light in leather and do a line of coke off the sinewy back of a dancer. MISS YOU! A monster of epic proportions that raised the Stones to another peak. It was their summer. And this song conquered it for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 04:15 by whitem8.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 1, 2015 04:16

whitem8
It is so easy after so much time to minimize Miss You's impact and importance in their history. Many folks are sick of the song, and I agree, live it has become somewhat rote. And many younger fans who weren't of age in 1978 don't get it as well.
Miss You was a MONSTER! By 78 the Stones seemed to be aimlessly kicking the pebble down the path. Some interesting forays into Funkrock...but then Punk rose like Godzilla scorching the dance floors setting bellbottoms a flame. And bloated dinosaurs of rock were in their sites. So against all odds, as the flaming corpse of disco was being being jeered and sliced, The Rolling Stones reach to their roots and create a hybrid Curtis Mayfield funk rock hit. This aint no glitter disco ball! This is a funk, punk, rock gumbo of angst, pain, and anger. An opera for divorce in Gotham. Alienated coke addled lovers realizing their fantasy is over. The atmosphere is dark and nihilistic. A rock star, left alone with his little black book and a coke spoon. Puerto Rican girls rumbling up from the Barrio to ride and party all night long. When in pain do what comes natural for a middle aged rock star, grind, sweat, and snort as the sun rips through his eyeballs and stains the walls. Miss You was a monster summer song. Detroit was steaming in a hot city summer. Miss you howling from the car windows, from hot kitchens, spitting like hot bacon grease on the arm! You wanna slap it! You wanna grab it! You wanna dance under a black light in leather and do a line of cock off the sinewy back of a dancer. MISS YOU! A monster of epic proportions that raised the Stones to another peak. It was their summer. And this song conquered it for them.

Holy shit, whitem8, that is a FABULOUS paragraph!! I love your writing, it is sheer poetry. (Are you a professional writer?) Just one thing ... I'm sure you meant "a line of coke"!! smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 04:28

Drew, thanks. I did mean coke! I fixed it, but perhaps it is one of those poetic errors that would make it fit better!
I am not a professional writer. But I do like to write when I get inspired. Often writing about music inspires me. Thanks so much for your kind comment!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:21

drewmaster
whitem8
Miss You was a MONSTER! By 78 the Stones seemed to be aimlessly kicking the pebble down the path. Some interesting forays into Funkrock...but then Punk rose like Godzilla scorching the dance floors setting bellbottoms a flame. And bloated dinosaurs of rock were in their sites. So against all odds, as the flaming corpse of disco was being being jeered and sliced, The Rolling Stones reach to their roots and create a hybrid Curtis Mayfield funk rock hit. This aint no glitter disco ball! This is a funk, punk, rock gumbo of angst, pain, and anger. An opera for divorce in Gotham. Alienated coke addled lovers realizing their fantasy is over. The atmosphere is dark and nihilistic. A rock star, left alone with his little black book and a coke spoon. Puerto Rican girls rumbling up from the Barrio to ride and party all night long. When in pain do what comes natural for a middle aged rock star, grind, sweat, and snort as the sun rips through his eyeballs and stains the walls. Miss You was a monster summer song. Detroit was steaming in a hot city summer. Miss you howling from the car windows, from hot kitchens, spitting like hot bacon grease on the arm! You wanna slap it! You wanna grab it! You wanna dance under a black light in leather and do a line of cock off the sinewy back of a dancer. MISS YOU! A monster of epic proportions that raised the Stones to another peak. It was their summer. And this song conquered it for them.

Holy shit, whitem8, that is a FABULOUS paragraph!! I love your writing, it is sheer poetry. (Are you a professional writer?) Just one thing ... I'm sure you meant "a line of coke"!! smileys with beer

Drew

Fantastic write up. I hope someone captures start me up's Impact nearly as well as I believe it was similar.

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: September 1, 2015 06:16

Great fooking record

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 1, 2015 08:24

Turner68
drewmaster
whitem8

Drew

Fantastic write up. I hope someone captures start me up's Impact nearly as well as I believe it was similar.

Yes great write up whitem8.

Turner you're probably right somewhat about Start Me Up as much as I hate to admit it. But from my perspective it didn't really capture the vibration of the times like Miss You did. It was just a super catchy, well made and performed Stones tune, more of fresh blast from the past than a statement of what was relevant at the time with bands like Rick Springfield, Blondie, Hall and Oates and others dominating the airwaves.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2015 11:11

There is nothing like remembering the actual times as they occurred. The Stones had struggled since Angie to get a hit with some traction. It's Only Rock And Roll was seen as lightweight novelty, and maybe the Stones sneering at their own audience. They had no hit to tour on in '75, and just released the Made in the Shade package. I remember hearing Hot Stuff in a clothing store, which was where you heard a lot of music in the States in the 70s. I thought it was interesting, but it didn't have mass appeal. (Looking back Hey Negrita might have been a better single). But Miss You left no doubt. The Stones were back. Emotional Rescue almost seemed a lame attempt to recapture the magic they'd just created. And then Start Me Up, the capper, pure rock and roll brilliance.

Isn't it ironic that they can't quite pull off Miss You on stage anymore because the bass player isn't funky enough? Not Stones funky.

Date: September 2, 2015 11:52

24FPS
There is nothing like remembering the actual times as they occurred. The Stones had struggled since Angie to get a hit with some traction. It's Only Rock And Roll was seen as lightweight novelty, and maybe the Stones sneering at their own audience. They had no hit to tour on in '75, and just released the Made in the Shade package. I remember hearing Hot Stuff in a clothing store, which was where you heard a lot of music in the States in the 70s. I thought it was interesting, but it didn't have mass appeal. (Looking back Hey Negrita might have been a better single). But Miss You left no doubt. The Stones were back. Emotional Rescue almost seemed a lame attempt to recapture the magic they'd just created. And then Start Me Up, the capper, pure rock and roll brilliance.

Isn't it ironic that they can't quite pull off Miss You on stage anymore because the bass player isn't funky enough? Not Stones funky.

I think it's more the whole band who can't pull it off, imo. Or more precisely, they don't wanna pull it off like that.

To me it sounds like they don't wanna do the funky disco groove. Instead, it sounds like a watered-down soul number these days. The guitars are also important for that groove, and what Ronnie and Keith play is not sounding worked out or planned at all. I know Ronnie does some of the licks, but that doesn't help unless he is high in the mix...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 2, 2015 11:58

Great opening song for Some Girls. Only the Stones could play this song the way they do: the way Mick sings it, the way the guitars sound, and of course Charlie and Bill connecting. And I happen to like the harmonic too, playing a very weird tune.
It doesn't work as well live though. But the album version is great.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 2, 2015 19:23

drewmaster
whitem8

Drew

Yes, after reading it I also wondered if whitem8 is a professional writer. What a post!! Thanks. It made me appreciate "Miss You" even more now.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 23:36

love the song. the groove really kicks you to dance, the lyrics are great..and I must mention as well the base lines, orginal og "Bill Wymanish"
I konw it is not a classical Stones song, but somehow they manage to let this discosong sound interesting, sexy and Stonish. Interesting is the fact that there is only one A chapter, one verse, repeated many many times, an nuthn else.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 3, 2015 09:05

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

I think it's more the whole band who can't pull it off, imo. Or more precisely, they don't wanna pull it off like that.

To me it sounds like they don't wanna do the funky disco groove. Instead, it sounds like a watered-down soul number these days. The guitars are also important for that groove, and what Ronnie and Keith play is not sounding worked out or planned at all. I know Ronnie does some of the licks, but that doesn't help unless he is high in the mix...

Good observation, Dandy! The guitars - and let's face it: the enire band - sounds a bit pedestrian on this tune nowadays, and it certainly does the song no good. But the thing with Miss You is that -at least for me- the studio version is one of those perfect Stones performances - not a single note too much, not a single note missed, everything's in place and simply perfect. It's hard to re-create that on stage, although it worked in 1978, with this punkish attitude on stage.

Date: September 3, 2015 10:21

alimente
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Good observation, Dandy! The guitars - and let's face it: the enire band - sounds a bit pedestrian on this tune nowadays, and it certainly does the song no good. But the thing with Miss You is that -at least for me- the studio version is one of those perfect Stones performances - not a single note too much, not a single note missed, everything's in place and simply perfect. It's hard to re-create that on stage, although it worked in 1978, with this punkish attitude on stage.

Some of those 15 minutes-songs, which they cut in Pathe Marconi was so heavily edited by Chris Kimsey that they never managed to capture the essence of the album versions.

For instance, when has Mick sung the lyrics on MY (or the melody, for that matter) like on the original? I'd say never smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 01:45

Turner68
Yes, single implies something that was released on its own. Gimme shelter - not a single. Rock in a hard place=a single. Go figure :-)

Oh wow. How awful, huh.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 20, 2017 08:10

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 20, 2017 15:21

Thanks, Z. I'm going to settle down with my coffee and read that article later. Looks interesting.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 20, 2017 16:58

Very interesting.
Keith: 'It’s a result of all the nights Mick spent at Studio 54 and coming up with that beat, that four on the floor. And he said, add the melody to the beat.'

The question about songwriting: Who wrote that melody, which is the guitar riff that starts the song.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 20, 2017 17:18

Unfortunately it wasn't that interesting after all... but thanks for sharing

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 20, 2017 18:53

I never liked this one at all but I was glad that they had a hit in the Disco era.yeah following the market and was successful as such I guess but I never really liked it and when I hear it I just sort of tolerated if I think the rest of the set might be okay.I can understand why people like it because it's a nice production and hangs together pretty well and all that.I'd like to hear a version with the bass and drums maybe some kind of tight weird remix because bills there. Some folks adore Mickey falsetto. I almost always do not. Got a nice bridge . Took me a long time to accept something so turgid and generic pop disconnected hit. Funny with this fine cuz I keep typing DISK OH , in every spelling and IT keeps writing disconnected. Whoa.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 20, 2017 20:18

Love the 1978 live versions.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2017 20:30

“‘Miss You’ wasn’t disco disco. Disco records at that time didn’t have guitars much, and they all had shimmering string lines and oo-eeoo-ee girls.
It was influenced by it, but not it. I like that.”
- Mick

Even with the Billy Preston inspired bass line and drum beat, I've never considered it "disco disco" either.
It was an anthem in the summer of '78 which was played relentlessly on the radio - loved it then and still love it now - even when played live.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 25, 2017 23:29

Hairball
“‘Miss You’ wasn’t disco disco. Disco records at that time didn’t have guitars much, and they all had shimmering string lines and oo-eeoo-ee girls.
- Mick

Even with the Billy Preston inspired bass line and drum beat, I've never considered it "disco disco" either.
It was an anthem in the summer of '78 which was played relentlessly on the radio - loved it then and still love it now - even when played live.

Really the only thing "disco" about it was the four on the floor beat and the bass line. On top of that was a hybrid of funk, rock, soul, even blues influence. It's a masterpiece recording but as for live versions...eh...not since 1978 - 81 was it interesting live. Now it's totally cookie cutter.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 25, 2017 23:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hairball
- Mick

Really the only thing "disco" about it was the four on the floor beat and the bass line. On top of that was a hybrid of funk, rock, soul, even blues influence. It's a masterpiece recording but as for live versions...eh...not since 1978 - 81 was it interesting live. Now it's totally cookie cutter.

Should have made it clear that I really only enjoy it live when I'm actually at the concert. It's a nice extended showcase, the crowd gets into it, and I prefer it over Start Me Up, IORR, along with some other worn out warhorses. As for actually listening to live versions via bootlegs, youtube, or what have you, can't recall the last time I endured that.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 6, 2017 19:34

Harmonica Legend Sugar Blue Talks Recording With The Rolling Stones

(...)
"At some point, I got serious and started practicing. I’d play folk music, and then I got into rock and roll, and when the British Invasion came along, I started listening to the Stones and the Beatles. There’s a song called “Little Red Rooster,” on one of the Stones’ records, and I looked at the liner notes to see who wrote it. When I saw it was Willie Dixon, I went to the library to look him up and found out that he was the songwriter, and an A&R guy, and a producer, and that’s when I discovered Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters, and the whole blues scene that birthed the rock & roll I loved."

Speaking of The Rolling Stones, I read that Mick Jagger met you while you were busking on the streets, and recruited you then and there. Is that true, or more of a legend?

Hey, go with the legend man (laughs). Yes it’s true, as unbelievable as it seems. I was so excited to tour with them, and I was really proud to have been a part of the recording of “Miss You,” because it was the biggest song they’d recorded. It was great because when I was boy, I’d sit down and use their records to practice with, never even dreaming I’d get to work with them. So one never knows!

The Stones have such a notorious reputation. What was it like to tour with them?

Well, all that partying, bad boy stuff got ‘em press man. That’s what it was all about! And I’m sure they had their share of fun. I came to find out that their publicist, Jackie, was responsible for a lot of that stuff, that he’d say, “Let’s do something, because we need some press.” They’d tell me all about that stuff from the old days. And by the time I got with them, they were too old for that shit anyway. I mean, it’s all fun and good to party when you’re young, but once you reach a certain age you better chill out, or they’re going to put you in a box! And being wise old Brits, they behaved accordingly. It’s not for nothing that they’re one of the last British Invasion bands still standing.

Full interview: [www.thebeijinger.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home