Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Waiting on a Friend with Mick Taylor...
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 26, 2012 15:58

How appropriate would it have been if the band played Waiting on a Friend with Mick Taylor at the recent shows!

It works on so many levels.

Re: Waiting on a Friend with Mick Taylor...
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 16:45

punkfloyd
How appropriate would it have been if the band played Waiting on a Friend with Mick Taylor at the recent shows!

even on the royalties level...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:19

What is it that he plays on the Tattoo You version?

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:25

Main rhythm guitar as I understand it. And the sax solo supposedly mirrors a solo he had played on the original.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:29

So that very beginning guitar is Taylor and not Keith? The way it sits and kind of waits, that sounds more like Keith than Taylor.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:56

And even more like Mick J. - hence the reasons he plays it live most likely.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:02

Very good rythm guitar by Mick Taylor. The best guitar work on Tattoo you is the two tracks Taylor plays on.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:19

punkfloyd
Main rhythm guitar as I understand it. And the sax solo supposedly mirrors a solo he had played on the original.

I always thought it was MJ on rhythm....but now it makes sense. I remember wandering the same thing at the time when MT was arguing for royalties: where is Mick Taylor?
I remember reading Charlie saying something about how great the MT solo was on the original track before it was apparently erased...
I'll always feel cheated out of hearing it. If its anything like the sax, it sounds like something along the lines of Time Waits for No One and that - we can only imagine how amazing and beautiful that might have been.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:28

....but what if Mick don't get along with my friend??....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 27, 2012 00:01

My guess is that Taylor is the guitar low in the mix doing the arpeggios

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2012 10:41

liddas

C

Correct. Taylor's part is farily insignificant on this track, there's half a dozen guitars dubbed over it by Jagger and Richards.

To add: the outtakes prove that there never was a 'Taylor solo' on this track.

Mathijs

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 11:32

Opening chord seems like Taylor to me. Can you play Cadd9 in open G, I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 11:38 by lapaz62.

Date: December 27, 2012 11:43

lapaz62
Opening chord seems like Taylor to me. Can you play Cadd9 in open G, I don't know.

All guitars sound standard tuned.

C

Date: December 27, 2012 11:49

liddas
lapaz62

All guitars sound standard tuned.

C

Ever heard of a joke, theory man.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 12:48

Mathijs
liddas

C

Correct. Taylor's part is farily insignificant on this track, there's half a dozen guitars dubbed over it by Jagger and Richards.

Mathijs

Taylor's guitar intro is fairly significant though. What's a nice house without a beautifull doorbell, bugger?

Date: December 27, 2012 12:56

VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

Taylors guitar intro is fairly significant though. What's a nice house without a beautifull doorbell, bugger?

The guitar intro is significant. But I believe it wasn't Taylor.

C

Date: December 27, 2012 13:31

VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

Taylor's guitar intro is fairly significant though. What's a nice house without a beautifull doorbell, bugger?

The intro isn't Taylor.

Mathijs

Date: December 27, 2012 13:58

VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

eye popping smiley
Agree, but it isn't Taylor doing the intro

Date: December 27, 2012 14:04

Only Taylor and Richards play guitar on the song, although I have read different stories from people who were their, if they don't know, who does.
I remember a Jimmy Miller interview when the Album came out, I am sure he said it was mainly Taylor and Andy Johns also but I am sure his memory is shot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 14:11 by lapaz62.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 27, 2012 14:19

Listening to this outtake, I get the impression Mick Taylor is adding some licks behind
the acoustic guitar, like the licks one hears at 1:03 or 1:27 et cetera.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 27, 2012 14:22

Left channel, Richards is almost 99.9% right channel.

Date: December 27, 2012 15:43

Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

The intro isn't Taylor.

Mathijs

Sounds Mick Taylor to me, but the intro is just nice and frienly neutral strumming, so it might as well be Keith, or anybody, I don't care, but that's not really my point.
My point is that your statement: "Taylor's part is farily insignificant on this track" is your usual Taylor bullshit talk.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:49

StonesTod
punkfloyd

even on the royalties level...

That's why Jagger won't ask him guest on WOAF or CYHMK... It would bring back bad memories and launch potential lawsuits. Jagger is a wise and careful man. grinning smiley

Date: December 27, 2012 16:50

VT22
Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

The intro isn't Taylor.

Mathijs

Sounds Mick Taylor to me, but the intro is just nice and frienly neutral strumming, so it might as well be Keith, or anybody, I don't care, but that's not really my point.
My point is that your statement: "Taylor's part is farily insignificant on this track" is your usual Taylor bullshit talk.

When he is barely audible on the song, wouldn´t it be ok to say he´s "fairly insignificant"? What´s wrong with you, and why are you taking the fact that it isn´t Taylor playing the basic strumming on the intro so personal?

@dcba: Lawsuits? For Waiting On A Friend? "Afraid" of letting Taylor guest, on a song he played a solo on (in the jam part of the song) - No, I don´t think so grinning smiley

In fact, I´m pretty sure we´ll see Taylor play with the Stones on the latter - and they will not only play the jam part winking smiley

Date: December 27, 2012 16:59

DandelionPowderman
VT22
Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

The intro isn't Taylor.

Mathijs

When he is barely audible on the song, wouldn´t it be ok to say he´s "fairly insignificant"? What´s wrong with you, and why are you taking the fact that it isn´t Taylor playing the basic strumming on the intro so personal?

I think Mathijs can speak for himself, but I am sorry to read that you miss the emphahtic side of my remark. Feel free to lick anyone's arse though.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:36

This was good to hear thanks. The intro doesn't sound like Taylor but you can hear his riffs for certain. Fill me in did Taylor claim he was a co-writer? Whoever's on keyboards is adding the most nuance to the chords but still that's a musician's job. When i look at historic beefs about writing credits i first ask what other great songs did that person write? Write alone? Just as with Levon Helm the answer is when your surrounded by great writers you get more creative inside a fantastic situation. Lennon claimed if someone helped him on a song the chord or word was out there already and the other guy just happened to find it first and that didn't make him a writer. Led Zep changed things by making everyone a writer although I'm sure the split favored Pagey. Didn't Taylor co-write "All Down The Line"? I thought it was weird they played that with Woody on slide. Wild Horses too...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:59

DoomandGloom
Didn't Taylor co-write "All Down The Line"?

Never heard about that, but he's got a credit for Ventilator Blues.

We've had a lot of discussions over the years about credits, song writing and "adding
to arrangements". Led Zep is not a very good example to discuss this, because their
"song writing" mainly consisted of taking old songs and "add arrangements" to them.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:03

Still say is sounds like Mick J. on guitar. The feel and Jagger's voice on that outtake is so lilting, gentle and beautiful, so different than the later harsh mock country twang that ended up on the later vocal track. It completely changes the song. I like this one and wish we could have had a more complete vocal track from 72 because the music is wonderful, especially Nicky's more prominent in the mix lovely piano fills.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:04

No I don't want to go there with Zep, I'll leave that for Howard Stern. I'm wrong about ADTL being Taylor's but still is one of his signature parts, hard to imagine him not eating it up in 2012.

Date: December 27, 2012 19:06

VT22
Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

The intro isn't Taylor.

Mathijs

Well, the GUITAR part is insignificant, isn't it? No matter who plays it. This track is all about Hopkins' piano, the vocal melody, the sax by Sonny Rollins. The main guitar part is Richards, and Taylor adds little fills here and there. But that could even be one guitar part, by either Jagger, Richards or Taylor. It doesn't really matter because it is just strumming G, F, C and Aminor chords.

If it was Jimi Hendrix on guitar I would have said it was an insignificant Jimi Hendrix guitar part.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 20:48 by Mathijs.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home