Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2015 06:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 8, 2015 07:03

Damn Rockman, from what I've seen on the news , sounds like the whole country is burnin' down under. Global warming or is this typical summer for you guys?

peace

Date: January 8, 2015 07:16

It's a big land so NO NO not the whole country naturalist ....
Plus heavy rain storms over the last few days has doused things down but
we still have at least another month or maybe two of heat ahead ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2015 16:17

It's raining cats and dogs, and mad Englishmen...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 8, 2015 23:57

Like zero F here in NYC. Must be the global warming

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 9, 2015 00:15

It was 6 degrees Fahrenheit here in East Tennessee when I got up this morning. I could give a crap about global warming but I'll admit that I'm looking forward to some LOCAL warming AS SOON AS FREEKIN' POSSIBLE. After the winter of '87/88 I vowed to never spend another winter in New England (and never did)... If these temperatures become a fixture here in Tennessee, I may need to be moving up my departure date for the Caribbean to the NEAR future rather than waiting for retirement.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: January 9, 2015 00:20

BIG TIME global warming here in Green Bay!! 5 degrees with light snow. Factor in wind chill it feels like -2. Before global warming hit us, January in Wisconsin was tropical!!!

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 9, 2015 00:53

2 degrees with snow in central Wisconsin. This is actually a warm up!

Date: February 26, 2015 23:33

THE AGE -- 27 Feb 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 27, 2015 02:04

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:34 by colonial.

Date: February 27, 2015 02:44

colonial
The first sign of autumn this morning is the sound of plums falling and hitting my hut tin roof it must be autumn smoking smiley

That's strange, my plums in California are already falling in early summer, by autumn they are long gone. peace

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:18

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:34 by colonial.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2015 04:13

Ahhh, 'global warming'. It's been taken so out of context that people think it's a joke. Then there's 'climate change'. Well, okay, climate changes every day.

It's climate chaos. What global warming means (the intent of the saying, anyway) is more severity with the seasons - a focus on the extreme. Winters have colder and longer snaps, snow or no snow. Drought lasts longer. Rain storms have more rain. Humidity is higher in places where it's hardly ever high. Where some places are above 90F for 8 days of the year are now getting above 90F for 20 days a year. And so on.

The culture of the language is skewed but the results are the same.

It's never been this cold for so long in Louisiana in the 20 years I've lived here. Last year had colder nights but this year it's been not as cold but cold longer. People I know that have been here longer say the same only more so - they can't ever remember it being as cold as it's been for so long. The USDA plant people have redefined the cold hardiness zones for the United States. They upped the region I live in to 9A instead of 8B. Yet reality has shown it's still 8B.

Look at the data: the polar jet over North America is running south/north and not west/east like it usually does. Last year it was 'polar vortex'. This year it's blizzards... with similar temperatures to the polar vortexs (vortexii?). Yet no one is saying 'polar vortex'. It's the same thing only with lots of snow. That's in part thanks to a lot less ice over the north pole. Which is because of warmer ocean water. The heat gets moved north... it takes a long time for it to cool off. It changes the wind. Wind is essentially reliant on water temperature globally when it comes to fluctuation is seasonal gradients. El nino/La nina/La nada is a perfect example - el nino, a warming of the easter Pacific, increases westerly wind shear in the summer, resulting in very few tropical systems developing to turn into hurricanes. La nina is the opposite. La nada, of course, is "normal" - anything, regarding tropical development, can happen (as well as drought and winter storms). There's also been a mid-level low and a high pressure ridge over the eastern Pacific near Baja California and south that keeps lumping things to the north. It's been there over the winter. It's keeping the SW US dry. There is the exception, as they have gotten some rain in California, but overall... there's a big elephant blocking the door over there.

Alaska's permafrost has moved north. A good bit. In places it's not been permafrost for a while now. Drought in the southwest US...

People in the geographical northeastern US - from Wisconsin to Main - joke about so much snow with global warming going on. There's more snow because of "global warming".

Something is changing. It takes a long time but it's a few years past starting. It's happening and it's only going to continue.

Date: February 28, 2015 07:16

Yes global warming seems to be pretty well a proven fact. I doubt the energy companies making trillions of dollars are going to do much to help in the short term for obvious reasons and the legislative plans I've seen are all too little- too late.

I have witnessed a lot of stuff being put into the atmosphere by planes which seems to have a temporarily cooling effect.I'm convinced a great majority of the white out high level cloud cover we see these days in California is man made. Some people are still calling this persistent contrails from normal jet activity but if so, why did it suddenly start appearing in the late 90's? And why don't the jet patterns correspond to well known and documented flight paths? I just hope they know what the @#$%& they are doing because global warming or not, I miss my blue skies. peace

Date: February 28, 2015 07:38

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 27 February 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 28, 2015 11:48

At 0:45 minutes:

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 28, 2015 21:24

With the close of February 2015, this month will go down in the history books of Buffalo NY as the coldest month ever on record with an average daily temperature of just over 11 degrees Fahrenheit.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2015 02:31

and while some of us have started talking about climate change/global warming, here's something to keep you tossing and turning:

The Siberian crater saga is more widespread — and scarier — than anyone thought:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 2, 2015 15:53

Yet another storm in the Eastern US, this time with lots of ice, ice, ice. Had to rescue the pup off the back porch steps last night. Boston is close to a record snow amount. Hopefully, this is the last blast of winter.

Date: March 2, 2015 22:29

.......THE AUSTRALIAN -- 3 March 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: May 22, 2015 02:06

It's actually been cooler the past few days, but it looks like not for long...seem to be heading into a hot Stones summer. cool smiley

Record-challenging heat likely in D.C. in May’s final week

This May has been the warmest on record month-to-date (more than 8 degrees warmer than average) and a big heat wave next week may put an exclamation point on this remarkably warm run.

Computer model forecasts are in strong agreement that highs will be near or above 90 every day next week, beginning with Memorial Day. During the middle of the week, high temperatures in the mid-90s could come close to records. Late in the week and into May’s final weekend, an increase in clouds (and a slight weakening of the heat dome overhead) may take temperatures down a notch, with highs closer to 90.

Consider, by the way, the average high in late May is in the upper 70s.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: July 1, 2015 08:53

Big cracks of thunder woke me up...summertime weather.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 6, 2015 03:16

The weather is normal again 20C...the highest temperature last week was 38.2 confused smiley in my place 27.3 smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2015 10:08

I'm currently in Hawaii with record breaking heat the last few days at 90+F.
There's also massive south swell surf with high surf advisories to help keep cool!
HOT STUFF! drinking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 6, 2015 10:53

About 10 a.m. here in Almeria, Spain and already 30C. Forecast is for 38-40C later and more of the same all week.

Fairly dry heat, so easier to take than the sweaty humid heat in some countries.

Posted by: mountainhigh ()
Date: July 6, 2015 11:12

Sounds bearable if it is not humid. Are you on vacation in Spain or do you live in that part of the globe? Seen posts by you being in London England a lot. Just finding it interesting where some of you guys have your homes.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 6, 2015 11:55

I'm in a fortunate position to have a place in Spain ,retired early from work, and still love going back to U.K.
Also love travelling around to interesting places to see my fave bands.

South America hopefully will be my destination for a couple of weeks later in the year. winking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 6, 2015 13:29

Last week in London, when I was at work, the temperature was in the mid-30s, the sun shone, the office sweltered.

This week I'm on holiday in Wild Welsh Wales - the temperature is about 16 and it's pouring with rain - which is why I'm here posting and not out walking the coast path like I was yesterday.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 6, 2015 13:49

Green Lady
Last week in London, when I was at work, the temperature was in the mid-30s, the sun shone, the office sweltered.

This week I'm on holiday in Wild Welsh Wales - the temperature is about 16 and it's pouring with rain - which is why I'm here posting and not out walking the coast path like I was yesterday.

It wasn't the best weather to be working at in London last week! I'm lucky that I at least work from home so was spared an unbearably overheated tube or bus!

Are you in Pembrokeshire? Absolutely love it there - so beautiful! Haven't been for too long - used to go regularly when I was younger as we have relatives in Swansea and Cardiff and would head on to Pembrokeshire afterwards. I remember the rainy days - but somehow I still love it there even in the rain.

Hope you enjoy your holiday - despite the rain. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 13:51 by MarthaTuesday.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 6, 2015 23:56

MarthaTuesday
Green Lady

It wasn't the best weather to be working at in London last week! I'm lucky that I at least work from home so was spared an unbearably overheated tube or bus!

Are you in Pembrokeshire? Absolutely love it there - so beautiful! Haven't been for too long - used to go regularly when I was younger as we have relatives in Swansea and Cardiff and would head on to Pembrokeshire afterwards. I remember the rainy days - but somehow I still love it there even in the rain.

Hope you enjoy your holiday - despite the rain. smiling smiley

Pembrokeshire it is. Still raining by the way.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home