Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 77
Re: Let's Cool It On the Complaints
Date: June 22, 2015 00:35

Naturalust
taz22
relms
keefriffhards
from what i have seen on the you tube clips they are really getting into their stride now. they should of kept the 14 on fire name going because in 2015 they are soo on fire. to think that they are in their seventies. just amazing how they are so committed and determined to show us all they still have what it takes to be the best band in the world.

thumbs up
Listening to the periscopes and Youtubes I am flabbergasted how great they are sounding. It is magic!

Really? I watched the Gimme Shelter video from Pittsburgh and Mick sounds flat. Maybe it is just the recording quality.

I've noticed Mick tends to have trouble on that one and the only reason I can think of is his monitoring with Lisa's (ahem) dominant vocal included with his. Perhaps turning her down in his monitor a bit for this song would be helpful.

But if you want to hear flat, check out Satisfaction. The best recording in the world couldn't help the vocal on that one. Yes he did reach for his earpiece a few times but I'm not sure that was the issue. He probably just hears and sings differently when he's pissed off and possibly the fatigue in his voice and ears after yet another loud show (after 50+ years of them) couldn't compete.

peace

He gets those problems when he is singing solo as well. On songs like SFTD, GS and Satisfaction. Don't know why as he sings excellent on the rest of the songs.

Why oh why the negative comments on this board?
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 21, 2015 21:37

why oh why the negative comments on this board

HI IM NEW > HELLO. just wanted to get something off my chest.

hi there iorr . just wanted to say i have been a huge fan of the stones since i was 17 when i bought the album Rolled Gold in 82. it changed my life, before that i mostly listened to 60's bands like the Beatles, Kinks, The who, plus 50's music like Chuck Berry, little Richard, Everly Brothers and Jerry Lee Lewis. mostly my dads old singles collection.
so i guess it was on the cards that the stones would enter into my life lol.
well i have seen them 7 times plus i saw Keith Richards and the winos at the Town And Country club in 92.( that one blew me away 'wow' )
so hey, i have been listening in on you iorr guys and girls for many years, and so i thought its high time i joined in i guess.
just one thing i want to get off my chest to start with.
why oh why the negative comments on this board, the stones were amazing to do what they have done in their life time, but to be still doing it, and do it as they are right now in their 70's just blows my mind. its beyond belief that 4 men can get through what they have in there life with the trials and tribulations, the drink and the drugs. to still stay together as a unit without letting their ego's spoil it, is fascinating to me. each of them individually as singers or musicians are , well , almost brilliant but not quite lol, but when they come together as a cohesive unit when they are on fire as they are right now, they still become the greatest rock and roll band of performers in the world. bless them at this old age to be brave enough to face 60 thousand people at show time as they do. i love them for it and i respect them to be able to still cut it as they do. so come on guys stop the negative bashing, at this stage in the game its a magical gift they bring that cant last forever..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 00:38 by bv.

Re: HI IM NEW > HELLO. just wanted to get something off my chest.
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 21, 2015 22:37

Welcome, I'm also a new member of the site. thumbs up

It's natural that there are a range of viewpoints reflected here, including those of critics.

It is simply the nature of the iorr.org beast. These pages would be far less interesting to read if dissenting voices were not present.

Olly.

Posted by: SackofBrokenEggs ()
Date: June 21, 2015 22:44

keefriffhards
why oh why the negative comments on this board, the stones were amazing to do what they have done in their life time, but to be still doing it, and do it as they are right now in their 70's just blows my mind. its beyond belief that 4 men can get through what they have in there life

I sincerely don't mean to put anyone down when I say this: but I think sometimes people just need to turn off their computers for a while. Now, I've got a shit ton of posts, all over the internet, so again, I'm not trying to insult any users here personally. But I think people just become too obsessed, and eventually you can end up despising the subject of your obsession, just for the sheer amount of time you spend writing about the same topic day in and day out. OT forums can help. That's just my two cents on the matter, have a nice day...

Date: June 21, 2015 22:49

oh yeah of course Olly, but the constant winging about set lists and Mick Taylor is just too much. i mean Mick Taylor has not been in the stones since 75 plus he left of his own accord. people need to get over it.

Date: June 21, 2015 22:51

That's right, Stan. And Ronnie Wood does rule!!!

Date: June 21, 2015 22:51

keefriffhards
oh yeah of course Olly, but the constant winging about set lists and Mick Taylor is just too much. i mean Mick Taylor has not been in the stones since 75 plus he left of his own accord. people need to get over it.
WHAT

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2015 22:56

I don't understand why if you happen to not like something about the stones, you'd need to keep it to yourself.

It's not as though anyone on this board that I've seen is simply and only ragging on the band.

They may disagree with the setlists, or Taylor, or lack of new material, but it isn't as if there isn't any truth to any of those observations.

Why would you take offense to someone else wanting more creative setlists? It's not like they are asking YOU personally to change something, but rather that the band they like that you also happen to like...to make some changes.

Why care?

Date: June 21, 2015 22:58

keefriffhards
keefriffhards
WHAT

Oh, nevermind that I called you Stan. But Ronnie Wood does rule!

Date: June 21, 2015 23:00

because it is what it is. its been this way for so long now. its not going to change, setlist wise. . just be happy they are still playing live.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:05

First quarter: Whiners - Fanboys, 2-1. Looking forward to the second quarter...

Date: June 21, 2015 23:07

Stoneage
First quarter: Whiners - Fanboys, 2-1. Looking forward to the second quarter...
hehe shit i'm losing already and i just got here lol

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:08

keefriffhards
just be happy they are still playing live.

Why not ask for more? Is it your lack of imagination which makes you blind for what could be instead of this greatest hits show?
I can imagine Mick Jagger singing ''Following The River'' sitting behind his keyboard like on Worried About You. Then he thanks the audience and says that the next song will be ''Dance Little Sister''.
IT COULD BE TRANSCENDENTAL. I think it's a shame to see them waste away their last active years as artists on playing this predictable 19-song set.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-21 23:09 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: June 21, 2015 23:09

I would not have given that round to the Whiners.

Date: June 21, 2015 23:14

well if you want my opinion on setlists. basically MICK JAGGER don't like taking chances. keith and Ronnie shine with new material, but as i say unless you got a direct line to Mr Jagger he is not going to change this late in the game. shit im whining now lol

Date: June 21, 2015 23:15

keefriffhards
because it is what it is. its been this way for so long now. its not going to change, setlist wise. . just be happy they are still playing live.

that's great, that's your opinion. but your knickers are in a twist over what someone else thinks about someone else who you don't even know.

Who cares?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-21 23:18 by treaclefingers.

Date: June 21, 2015 23:16

It doesn't take long... all you need is an internet connection, and you will find a grievance to air....

Date: June 21, 2015 23:20

you guys

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:22

treaclefingers
I don't understand why if you happen to not like something about the stones, you'd need to keep it to yourself.

It's not as though anyone on this board that I've seen is simply and only ragging on the band.

They may disagree with the setlists, or Taylor, or lack of new material, but it isn't as if there isn't any truth to any of those observations.

Why would you take offense to someone else wanting more creative setlists? It's not like they are asking YOU personally to change something, but rather that the band they like that you also happen to like...to make some changes.

Why care?

well said treacle. Besides, If they didn't have such a great and deep catalog of songs no one would be suggesting they play more of them. In a strange way it's almost a complement to them that they have people who care so much and want to see some of their other great work.

Not that I necessarily approve of people encouraging dragging other posters into somewhat distasteful discussions. eye rolling smiley winking smiley

peace

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:23

It's curious that you're trying to control other people's behavior, and the culture of an entire community that you've, as you said, just stepped into.

The tone and topical matter in some threads makes you uncomfortable, so maybe you can stop reading them?

Or, add your 2 cents to the other thread issuing an imperative ("Let's Cool It On the Complaints" from just yesterday).

And in all seriousness, not to be unkind, there are other Stones boards that tend to be "lighter" than this one, where you might feel less moved to get something off your chest about your frustration re: how things are organically unfolding on it.

IORR can be fun, and a place to express enthusiasm unfettered and joy about shows etc. It also is a forum for news and announcements, reviews of performances, recordings, books, and films about the Stones; discussion and exploration of the music, the lyrics, the recordings, the history, the band members and their relationships with each other, instruments and equipment, Stones' place in broader cultural and musical history vis-a-vis other bands and artists and musical contexts; as well as contentious --usually pretty well-considered-- debate, parsing out of arcane minutiae, expression of strong opinions, and critiques and criticisms, etc. It's not only a cheerleading vehicle or an extension of the Rolling Stones "viral" social marketing reach, tho it also does function in that way.

I skim very few threads these days, myself. As they say "Take what you need and leave the rest"?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:23

Personally I think "Cheerleaders" are as bad as "Whiners". You can blow sunshine all day, but don't suggest that one city got a better set list than another- some pretty sensitive folks and not enough sense of humor.

Date: June 21, 2015 23:25

Naturalust

Not that I necessarily approve of people encouraging dragging other posters into somewhat distasteful discussions. eye rolling smiley winking smiley

peace

Yeah, neither do I. You made a good post last night on the setlist thread, then you had to add a parenthesis. I say the faster they play the better.

Date: June 21, 2015 23:28

wow. i know what iorr is. i have been enjoying it for 10 years. why pounce on me like that. you dont know what i think. you dont know me. i made some valid points. night night

Date: June 21, 2015 23:29

Thrylan
Personally I think "Cheerleaders" are as bad as "Whiners". You can blow sunshine all day, but don't suggest that one city got a better set list than another- some pretty sensitive folks and not enough sense of humor.

I agree with about the humor bit, but you're not giving any consideration to the psychologists.

Date: June 21, 2015 23:30

keefriffhards
wow. i know what iorr is. i have been enjoying it for 10 years. why pounce on me like that. you dont know what i think. you dont know me. i made some valid points. night night

Don't take it too personally. Night night

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:48

SackofBrokenEggs
Naturalust

peace

Yeah, neither do I. You made a good post last night on the setlist thread, then you had to add a parenthesis. I say the faster they play the better.

Lol. Strangely even though I truly felt that way I fretted over adding the part in parenthesis about playing MM slower. Thankfully no one jumped me for it (until now). grinning smiley

But that's exactly why it's silly for people to constantly judge other peoples opinions and try to police any suggestion that don't meet their standards of positivity. I personally put much more value in a persons opinion who is balanced in their posting than those who's post's are a constant drone of praise for every note the Stones play. As I've said before, you get the feeling Mick could fart into the microphone and some folks would praise it as a golden note....and the first person who said, "hey that was a fart" would get jumped of for whining about it.

As far as Moonlight Mile goes, not only would playing it fast ruin the song, but check out the original sometime. Count out the tempo, listen to how great Mick stretches out the phrasing to match the tempo, but most of all, feel the overall effect. Then you might understand my comment a bit more.

peace

Re: Why oh why the negative comments on this board?
Date: June 22, 2015 01:20

Well this is called a fan club. i am a fan. the point i'm making is that some posters don't sound much like fans.they kind of go on and on about the same things as mentioned earlier in this post.
when everyone is buzzing about the live show and the live comments as a show is happening its so exciting until the same people start moaning and winging about set lists or keith played the wrong note on brown sugar and so on. its pathetic to pick holes in a guy who is playing his heart out giving it all for the audience in hot stadiums under even hotter lighting rigs.
i just don't think that's the time to whine about things.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 22, 2015 01:30

keefriffhards
Well this is called a fan club. i am a fan. the point i'm making is that some posters don't sound much like fans.they kind of go on and on about the same things as mentioned earlier in this post.
when everyone is buzzing about the live show and the live comments as a show is happening its so exciting until the same people start moaning and winging about set lists or keith played the wrong note on brown sugar and so on. its pathetic to pick holes in a guy who is playing his heart out giving it all for the audience in hot stadiums under even hotter lighting rigs.

You are correct, it makes no sense but they have been doing it here for years and they will defend their right to whine when they are not whining. It is kind of crazy. And the whole "more opinions make it more interesting" is as stale as the whines. They dont whine to make it interesting, they whine because they like to whine and it has driven away many good positive posters over the years and turned many positive posters into whiners.

The Stones are rolling, they are sounding great, people are having fun at live shows and still the whiners whine. It is just what they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 01:32 by relms.

Date: June 22, 2015 01:30

keefriffhards

This then, is obviously the time to whine about things in your opinion...

Reading your post left me with a bit of soul searching and I'm noticing a salty discharge being emitted from my eyes.

I think we should devote one entire thread to the cheerleaders where only positive comments are made and no one's feelings can get hurt, or will get hurt.

The vast majority of us shouldn't be hurting your feelings by wanting a different song, or a new album, or a different guest, or opening act and speaking openly about it. Hopefully, in your cheerleader thread, you can get as strictly positive vibe, with no other opinions.

It just the right thing to do.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: June 22, 2015 01:31

swiss
It's curious that you're trying to control other people's behavior, and the culture of an entire community that you've, as you said, just stepped into.

Exactly - BV has been trying to do this for years by merging threads, listening to the denunciation of others and bannings - he hasn't been successful in changing the culture.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home