Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Former Wings Guitarist Henry McCullough in Critical Condition After Heart Attack
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 8, 2012 01:58

Re: OT: Former Wings Guitarist Henry McCullough in Critical Condition After Heart Attack
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 8, 2012 02:03

Sad to hear this...hope he's doing well

Re: OT: Former Wings Guitarist Henry McCullough in Critical Condition After Heart Attack
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 8, 2012 02:07

Played a beautiful solo on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 02:08 by tatters.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 8, 2012 02:10

That is sad. Critical condition after a heart attack is not a good sign, hope he makes it.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 02:26

tatters

The truly great thing about that solo is that it was totally improvised, done off the cuff while in the studio, in one take during the actual recording. Here's an account of how that solo came to be, from Howard Sounes' Macca bio Fab (p. 302):

"....One of the most uxorious of Paul's 'I-love-you-Linda' songs, 'My Love' was lifted by a stirring guitar solo by Henry McCullough, who, when it came to the recording date, bucked against Paul's regimented way of making music -- 'in blocks', as he characterises McCartney's method. 'I was in there with a fifty-piece orchestra, just meself and guitar and I wanted to change the solo.'

'What are you going to play?' Paul asked his guitarist.

'I have no idea,' replied Henry, who wanted to extemporise.

'Oh Jesus, Henry!'

As the orchestra played, McCullough tore off the solo of his life. 'It wasn't a confrontation, [but] it had got to the point where I achingly wanted to be the guitar player in the band, instead of learning parts,' says the guitarist, 'and Paul, I think, found that way of working a little risky, which it is, but it hit the mark and it was left there.' The song was released as Wings' next single, becoming a number one hit in the USA"....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 8, 2012 02:39

I thought Jimmy (RIP) was in wings, are they related?

Date: November 8, 2012 02:42

Henry McCullough also appears on Dark Side Of The Moon. His spoken word sentence "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time," can be heard on the fade out of Money.

www.classicrockhereandnow.com/2012/04/henry-mccullough-divulges-divine_10.html

Date: November 8, 2012 02:44

BluzDude

No, Jimmy McCulloch was not related to Henry McCullough.

Date: November 8, 2012 02:48

BluzDude

But since Jimmy McCulloch is so rarely mentioned, it's as good a time as any to remember what made him great as well. Here is Jimmy's isolated guitar part from Junior's Farm, a nice fat Gibson sound. That's a Gibson Firebird, the same brand of guitar that Brian played in The Stones, Clapton played in Cream, and Ronnie Wood played in The Faces. This was his debut as Wings' lead guitarist.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 02:57

He played with Wings when they mattered. Some memorable solos.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: November 8, 2012 03:13

Killer guitar....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 8, 2012 08:09

I recall reading something in the 90's where Henry said one day Mac had dropped in at a record store where he happened to be working and handed him either a check or some cash...as sort of an after-the-fact "bonus" for his solo on "My Love."

I believe he was also in Joe Cocker's Grease Band, and played at Woodstock.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 8, 2012 09:32

God bless you Henry. Hope you pull through.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 8, 2012 09:59

Unreleased Wings song "Henry's Blues":

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 8, 2012 10:29

stonesnow
tatters

The truly great thing about that solo is that it was totally improvised, done off the cuff while in the studio, in one take during the actual recording. Here's an account of how that solo came to be, from Howard Sounes' Macca bio Fab (p. 302):

"....One of the most uxorious of Paul's 'I-love-you-Linda' songs, 'My Love' was lifted by a stirring guitar solo by Henry McCullough, who, when it came to the recording date, bucked against Paul's regimented way of making music -- 'in blocks', as he characterises McCartney's method. 'I was in there with a fifty-piece orchestra, just meself and guitar and I wanted to change the solo.'

'What are you going to play?' Paul asked his guitarist.

'I have no idea,' replied Henry, who wanted to extemporise.

'Oh Jesus, Henry!'

As the orchestra played, McCullough tore off the solo of his life. 'It wasn't a confrontation, [but] it had got to the point where I achingly wanted to be the guitar player in the band, instead of learning parts,' says the guitarist, 'and Paul, I think, found that way of working a little risky, which it is, but it hit the mark and it was left there.' The song was released as Wings' next single, becoming a number one hit in the USA"....

Yep.

Macca wasn't happy until he heard the solo.. then was like "oh.. ok..".

It's beautiful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home