Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Crossfire Hurricane - Your Review Please.
Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 19, 2012 09:48

"this is Stu's band" "we still work for him"

bla bla bla bla bla

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:02

not very great.
the bits with brian were interesting.
not worth going to
jeroen

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:11

Highlights:

1. Great footage of the Brian days, especially the intro before the curtains opened and then the mobbing onstage.
2. The Stones where really honest about Brian, his infleunce, his downfall, and that they could have done more for him.
3. Great footage of the JJF video: lots of focussing on Brian
4. Lots of outtakes could be heard: Salt of the Earth with guide vocals by Keith, the writing of Sitting on a Fence, a version of Goodtime Women that was closer to TD than the known outtake version, a different take of Moonlight Mile, Ventilator Blues and Angie

Dissapointing:

1. There was not any real, real new footage. No surprises like NME 68 footage, new '69 footage, no 70/71/73 professionally recorded concert footage except for the short snippet of Sydney 73.
2. The '70's where done by focussing on the '72 tour. Lots of new footage from backstage and in hotels, but no new footage from on stage.
3. 1975 to 1976 was done with...You Gotta Move from Abbatoirs....
4. 1978 to 1982 where combined in one strange combination of well known footage from '78 and '81, with the crowd from Barcelona 90 and Rio Copacabana.

Then it sudenly was over with a remark by Mick 'you can't stay young forever'. I thought that was really weird, we where really expecting another hour of film, or a part 2. No mention of Ian Stewart's passing, the WWIII in the 80's, Bill Wyman leaving.

A bit shocking was Jagger's reaction on Brian Jones's passing. He discussed sacking Brian, and mentioned Jones then died a couple of months later. He was corrected by the interviewer that it is was only '3 weeks later' and Jagger reacted with a, in my eyes, emotional 'oh fvck'.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 13:05 by Mathijs.

Posted by: tarmon ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:11

How many in your cinema ? - there were 17 in the 240 seater at Witney in Oxfordshire. For a while it really looked as if there were only going to be four of us.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:17

Mathijs
Highlights:

1. Great footage of the Brian days, especially the intro before the curtains opened and then the mobbing onstage.
2. The Stones where really honest about Brian, his infleunce, his downfall, and that they could have done more for him.
4. Lots of outtakes could be heard: Salt of the Earth with guide vocals by Keith, the writing of Sitting on a Fence, a version of Goodtime Women that was closer to TD than the known outtake version, a different take of Moonlight Mile, Ventilator Blues and Angie

Dissapointing:

1. There was not any real, real new footage. No surprises like NME 68 footage, new '79 footage, no 70/71/73 professional concert footage except for the short snippet of Sydney 73.
2. The '70's where done by focussing on the '72 tour. Lots of new footage from backstage and in hotels, but no new footage from on stage.
4. 1978 to 1982 where combined in one strange combination of well known footage from '78 and '81, with the crowd from Barcelona 90 and Rio Copacabana.

Then it sudenly was over with a remark by Mick 'you can't stay young forever'. I thought that was really weird, we where really expecting another hour of film, or a part 2. No mention of Ian Stewart's passing, the WWIII in the 80's, Bill Wyman Leaving.

A bit shocking was Jagger's reaction on Brian Jones's passing. He discussed sacking Brian, and mentioned Jones then died a couple of months later. He was corrected by the interviewer that is was only '3 weeks later' and Jagger reacted with a, in my eyes, emotional 'oh fvck'.

Mathijs

cheers for that.
disappointing after seeing the trailer with the Sydney 73 footage...
i guess it's just typical...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:22

Now I understand what people felt like when they found out that Shine A Light wasn't a documentary. If this film is "the rise of the Stones", then THAT is the very merit on what it should be judged. If the film didn't promise to be a career-spanning documentary, it shouldn't be judged as so. Some people were expecting Shine A Light to be a career-spanning documentary, when it was, in effect, a concert movie in the vein of the last 3 or 4 of Paul McCartney's concert movie, with added archive footage. Some people said "it should have been a documentary". It's like saying of Voodoo Lounge "it should have been Exile". Not a valid argument. Now when you realize that Crossfire Hurricane should be judged on what it is, and NOT what it isn't, you can come to terms with your feelings about it. And it isn't bad at telling "the rise of the Stones"-story. There's glaring omissions, like Stu, but there's also very good things. The way it places The Stones in the times, and the social impact they had. I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10, but I really need to see it a few more times before knowing how I really feel about it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: belld ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:27

tarmon
How many in your cinema ? - there were 17 in the 240 seater at Witney in Oxfordshire. For a while it really looked as if there were only going to be four of us.
Glasgow. Cinema built on the sight of the Greens/Apollo Theatre, the scene of many great gigs including seeing the Stones in 73x2 and 76x3. A fantastic venue sadly missed.
More than we expected 200 perhaps. Shine Light Glasgow had only about 20.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:33

Mathijs
Highlights:

Dissapointing:

1. There was not any real, real new footage. No surprises like NME 68 footage, new '79 footage, no 70/71/73 professional concert footage except for the short snippet of Sydney 73.

Then it sudenly was over with a remark by Mick 'you can't stay young forever'. I thought that was really weird, we where really expecting another hour of film, or a part 2. No mention of Ian Stewart's passing, the WWIII in the 80's, Bill Wyman Leaving.

A bit shocking was Jagger's reaction on Brian Jones's passing. He discussed sacking Brian, and mentioned Jones then died a couple of months later. He was corrected by the interviewer that is was only '3 weeks later' and Jagger reacted with a, in my eyes, emotional 'oh fvck'.

Mathijs

That pretty much sums it up. I thought the r60's footage was very cool (all the Brian stuff etc). I was surprised at the 'mob scene' when they were onstage - it just seemed to carry on for ages and I was just thinking 'what the hell is going on here? No one seems to be doing anything!'

No mention of Sticky Fingers or the 'farewell tour'/Marquee show, but straight into some awesome '72 STP tour stuff. Brief mentions of '73 Australian tour. Nothing about Ron's first tour really or the flatbed truck stunt.

It kind of fizzled out a bit after that and abruptly ended after the '81 tour. Gutted. I was looking forward to at least another 30 minutes or so of VL/BTB/Licks/ABB info, but...nothing. Weird IMHO.

Good to hear a snatch of 'One Last SHot'. I thought it would be a 'Streets of Love' style ballad. Fortunately it isn't!

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:37

tarmon

There were 12 of us in Shrewsbury 400 seater.

They should have made this a 2 DVD set spanning the whole career and used an edited version for the cinema.

I'm gonna watch 25x5 again tonight and see how it compares whilst CH is fresh in my mind.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:40

riffhard72
I was looking forward to at least another 30 minutes or so of VL/BTB/Licks/ABB info, but...nothing

What exactly were people really expecting to see from these years? The film specifically focuses on the rise of the Rolling Stones and the "hurricane" they lived during their most important years as a band. Where does "Bridges To Babylon" or "A Bigger Bang" fall within that scope?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 10:41 by Justin.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:45

^ Well that's one spin on it, but it's their 50th anniversary, so they should have covered the entire period.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:46

riffhard72
Mathijs
Highlights:

Dissapointing:

Mathijs

That pretty much sums it up. I thought the r60's footage was very cool (all the Brian stuff etc). I was surprised at the 'mob scene' when they were onstage - it just seemed to carry on for ages and I was just thinking 'what the hell is going on here? No one seems to be doing anything!'

No mention of Sticky Fingers or the 'farewell tour'/Marquee show, but straight into some awesome '72 STP tour stuff. Brief mentions of '73 Australian tour. Nothing about Ron's first tour really or the flatbed truck stunt.

It kind of fizzled out a bit after that and abruptly ended after the '81 tour. Gutted. I was looking forward to at least another 30 minutes or so of VL/BTB/Licks/ABB info, but...nothing. Weird IMHO.

Good to hear a snatch of 'One Last SHot'. I thought it would be a 'Streets of Love' style ballad. Fortunately it isn't!

As always you are so accurate in you comments Matthijs. I like that. They were honest about Brian indeed. They were also honest about some other stuff, like the drugs.
I think we need to remind ourselves that we (on this board) are not the general public and we are not the target audience. If you have superficial knowledge of the Stones (like I have of Led Zep for instance) it surely will be very informative and entertaining.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:50

Is it just me, but during the red carpet section, it looks like Keith has got new teeth....?

confused smiley

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 19, 2012 10:59

Great runthrough Mathijs!
The outtakes and alternate takes on Salt of the Earth, Ventilator, Good Time Women is worth the ticket price for me smiling smiley

Thanks for all these comments, it makes me prepared for the movie and I can not see how I can be disappointed now.

Bring it on!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 19, 2012 11:03

At the cinema (Heerenveen) were I was they had lot's of problems with the live stream from the red carpet.
We could hardly follow it, only a few times for 10-15 seconds that it went OK.
Then they came to tell us that we had to switch from Room 3 to Room 1.
There was no problem with the Live stream.
We were fortunatly to see 2 minutes from the live stream and then the movie started.

I liked the film although it was strange that it einded at 1981/1982 so no WOIII footage, reunion tour 89/90 and quiting by Bill.
No attention for Stu.

What I liked is that Bill was really involved in this film and was mentioned in the credits as Archival Consultant. Nice.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 19, 2012 12:30

CROSSFIRE HURRICANE FIRST NIGHT

Leicester Square Odeon – London Film Festival

I now understand why celebs turn up at premieres. There is something quite intoxicating about sashaying down the red-carpet, paparazzi trying to work out whether you’re worth a snap, young ladies with clipboards checking to see whether you’re on their list – it’s all great fun. Tonight’s celeb turn-out was strictly Z- list - Anthea Turner and Liam Gallagher. Lauren Laverne was doing the red carpet interviews and a very blonde, fluffy job she made of it.

A pleasant surprise waited us inside, posh water, popcorn and Green & Black’s on our seats plus they were selling booze. And then onstage the stars of the show. First director Brett Morgen and then Jagger, Watts, Wood, Richards and (nice touch) Wyman, although no Mick Taylor who I saw at the end. Jagger and Morgen both made lucid introductions to the film, with Jagger apologising for some of the fashions we were about to see (OK until about 1975 by my estimation, but those lime-green frills were a spectacular fall from grace)

So on with the show. Brett Morgen made it very clear from the outset that the film is his personal statement which makes no attempt at a balanced historical perspective of the bands entire career. Instead the focus is on the crazed amphetamine rush of the Brian Jones and Mick Taylor eras, which by most Stones fans estimation is when they did their best work. This is a brave move, but one that pays off. Already there are complaints that the film ends too abruptly, with only a very cursory canter through the Ronnie Wood / stadium era. I suspect that Morgen feels there is not much to say post ‘74 – got rich, played ever bigger gigs, released a few decent singles. Jagger mentions that Woods presence made the band more fun and less dangerous: for some of us, that is the problem. Ironically when asked about the movie on the red carpet Ronnie said he hoped he would appear before the end. Sorry Ronnie.

Reservations. There is too much Jagger but given he is credited as co-producer and has tended to do the lion share of the Stones media appearances this may have been unavoidable. Ian Stewart only appears assisting young ladies offstage: his lack of credit is unforgiveable. The relentless focus on the main protagonists means that key muses such as Marianne Faithful and Anita Pallenberg plus key musicians such as Bobby Keyes and Nicky Hopkins get no mention. Morgen plays fast and loose with historical accuracy. He needs footage of the band looking glum to accompany a recent interview about the death of Brian Jones. Problem: no-one was filming at Olympic studios the night it happened. Solution: use the Maylses’ footage from Gimme Shelter of Richards, Jagger and Watts. Does it matter? It is Morgen using a lie to tell a greater truth.

The contemporary interviews add little. Mick Taylor now claims he left the Stones because of his heroin habit (rather than disputes over songwriting or creative differences). Jagger admits they treated Jones badly and regrets the way they sacked him, albeit with the tone of a politician expressing his disappointment about a policy which hasn’t worked.

Positives. Morgen’s sources are really good. Yes, we have already seen the footage from the TAMI show, Gimme Shelter, The Dick Cavett Show, One Plus One. C*cksuck*r Blues , NME Poll Winners show, Ladies & Gentlemen and Knebworth. However the sound and picture quality here is first rate, plus there are out-takes being used for the first time. On the basis of the teaser footage used here, the re-release of Peter Whitehead’s Charlie Is My Darling will be fabulous. The way the film cuts rapidly between subjects creates a claustrophobic feeling of something out of control, perfectly in keeping with the whirlwind early touring years. However it means there are performance clips I would like to see on their own, all the way through – I hope the DVD release makes this possible. We see most of the voodoo Jumping Jack Flash promo but only tantalising glimpses of Let’s Spend The Night Together (from Sunday Night At The London Palladium? Brian Jones on piano). With 25 x 5 unaccountably unavailable on DVD it is about time all the Stones promo films and TV appearances were brought together, legally and in good quality

Should you see it? If you are even a casual Stones fan, absolutely. If you are Ronnie Wood’s mum or you think they peaked artistically as a stadium band in the 80’s and 90s you’re probably better off waiting ‘til BBC4 shows it. Which I hope they will – I’d like to see Crossfire Hurricane again.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 19, 2012 13:14

Justin
riffhard72
I was looking forward to at least another 30 minutes or so of VL/BTB/Licks/ABB info, but...nothing

What exactly were people really expecting to see from these years? The film specifically focuses on the rise of the Rolling Stones and the "hurricane" they lived during their most important years as a band. Where does "Bridges To Babylon" or "A Bigger Bang" fall within that scope?

But the 'rise' didn't stop in '82, it stopped in '94, with Wyman having left and the Stones becoming 'entertainment' as Jagger puts it, now with Darryl Jones on bass. The 89/90 tour was a triumphantic return as greatest RnR band after Stu's death and WWIII.

Mathijs

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 19, 2012 13:38

Mick Taylor was in the audience - why wasn't he onstage with the band? From 66-81, he was a RS as long as Ronnie was.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 19, 2012 13:45

Mathijs
Justin
riffhard72

But the 'rise' didn't stop in '82, it stopped in '94, with Wyman having left and the Stones becoming 'entertainment' as Jagger puts it, now with Darryl Jones on bass. The 89/90 tour was a triumphantic return as greatest RnR band after Stu's death and WWIII.

I fully agree with that: the 89/90 tour really was fantastic and absolutely 'the best of the rest' that came later (except for the '95 clubshows).

Mathijs

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 19, 2012 13:48

I thought it was awful but then I don't know what it was suppose to be. Not enough information to be a documentry and no sense of celebration of 50 years as it stopped in 82. I assumed it would end with 2011/2 rehearsal footage.

Didn't really notice that much new footage but I didn't mind that if they'd had some sort of narrative structure like 25x5.

Date: October 19, 2012 13:52

Bliss
Mick Taylor was in the audience - why wasn't he onstage with the band? From 66-81, he was a RS as long as Ronnie was.

69-74

vs.

75-present

Date: October 19, 2012 14:22

DandelionPowderman
Bliss

69-74

vs.

75-present

Wow, I never noticed! (joking)

But the film only covered 64-81, so Mick T had an equal presence to Ronnie's during that period. And if the film was truly about the RS' rise to glory, few would disagree that Mick T was more of a catalyst than Ronnie, or even Brian.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2012 19:56

Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss

69-74

vs.

75-present

But the film only covered 64-81, so Mick T had an equal presence to Ronnie's during that period. And if the film was truly about the RS' rise to glory, few would disagree that Mick T was more of a catalyst than Ronnie, or even Brian.

Well I for one disagree!

(Sorry, couldn't do that with a straight face. You're of course correct)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 19, 2012 20:42

Mathijs
Justin
riffhard72

Mathijs

Well I agree they should have kept going with WWIII and Steel Wheels. I already mentioned earlier in this thread that it would have acted as a great climactic close to the film.

But I can totally see their artistic choice to stop before then. The story would no doubt have become even more complicated by going into the Mick/Keith feuds and then eventually Bill leaving. It completely clashes with the intent of the film being focused on the whirlwind of those days at their absolute peak of their career in the early 70's. This is not a biopic or a full career documentary but rather focusing on a small yet very specific aspect of their career. There is obviously so much more to the story that they could have told but it is obvious that the the film isn't about the literal timeline of events but rather studying a few moments in that timelne.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 20, 2012 00:13

Hope to get a soundtrack of those never before heard songs.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2012 00:45

Well, probably will be another movie coming, telling the rest of the story

SLIPPING AWAY: THE FALL OF THE STONES

Starting with WW3, and then telling the first hand account of how the 'peace' was achieved and 'modern' Stones was created by Mick and Keith and Michael Cohl (today's Oldham). Then insider stories of how they managed to get through all those mammouth tours, and creating the graetest rock and roll brand in the world. And all that without creating any new song anyone could remember. Bill's departure will be like Brian's (in CROSSFIRE HURRICANE) in not coping any longer the demands of the 'brand'. Charlie, shockingly, reveals that touring is actually a lot of fun these days, and his image is as much "on with teh show" as Keith's. Altogether, it would be an interesting story how a band transformed into 'brand'.

Actually that story has not yet been told, unlike CROSSFIRE HURRICANE's (as the reviews have pointed out). Let's see if that ever will be told...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 00:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 01:21

Doxa
Well, probably will be another movie coming, telling the rest of the story

SLIPPING AWAY: THE FALL OF THE STONES

Starting with WW3, and then telling the first hand account of how the 'peace' was achieved and 'modern' Stones was created by Mick and Keith and Michael Cohl (today's Oldham). Then insider stories of how they managed to get through all those mammouth tours, and creating the graetest rock and roll brand in the world. And all that without creating any new song anyone could remember. Bill's departure will be like Brian's (in CROSSFIRE HURRICANE) in not coping any longer the demands of the 'brand'. Charlie, shockingly, reveals that touring is actually a lot of fun these days, and his image is as much "on with teh show" as Keith's. Altogether, it would be an interesting story how a band transformed into 'brand'.

Actually that story has not yet been told, unlike CROSSFIRE HURRICANE's (as the reviews have pointed out). Let's see if that ever will be told...

- Doxa

It has, actually--though only in unauthorized form. The 2002 5-disc, 5-hour set Just For The Record. You can get it through Amazon for under $8USD. That's around $1.50 per disc and each 1-hour disc focuses on one decade. Lots of great footage, with the full story, warts and all, as told by a narrator, just no Stones music, as it is unauthorized. It will ultimately take people outside the Stones to tell the full story, as the Stones themselves are far too self-congratulatory.

In fact, forget paying even $8. Enjoy parts 1 and 2 (60s and 70s) right now through YouTube.

[www.youtube.com]

The 80s are told in part 3:

www.snagfilms.com/films/title/rolling_stones_just_for_the_record_part_3

The 90s take up disc 4:

www.snagfilms.com/films/title/rolling_stones_just_for_the_record_part_4

Disc 5 coincides with the 40th anniversary:

www.snagfilms.com/films/title/rolling_stones_just_for_the_record_part_5

They should update this collection with a disc 6 to coincide with the 50th....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 01:49 by stonesnow.

Date: October 20, 2012 06:04

treaclefingers
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss

69-74

vs.

75-present

Well I for one disagree!

(Sorry, couldn't do that with a straight face. You're of course correct)

Ok, I suppose Bill was up there because he gave them valuable assistance with the film. But why was Mick Taylor in the audience and not onstage?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 20, 2012 11:05

JumpingKentFlash
Now I understand what people felt like when they found out that Shine A Light wasn't a documentary. If this film is "the rise of the Stones", then THAT is the very merit on what it should be judged. If the film didn't promise to be a career-spanning documentary, it shouldn't be judged as so. Some people were expecting Shine A Light to be a career-spanning documentary, when it was, in effect, a concert movie in the vein of the last 3 or 4 of Paul McCartney's concert movie, with added archive footage. Some people said "it should have been a documentary". It's like saying of Voodoo Lounge "it should have been Exile". Not a valid argument. Now when you realize that Crossfire Hurricane should be judged on what it is, and NOT what it isn't, you can come to terms with your feelings about it. And it isn't bad at telling "the rise of the Stones"-story. There's glaring omissions, like Stu, but there's also very good things. The way it places The Stones in the times, and the social impact they had. I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10, but I really need to see it a few more times before knowing how I really feel about it.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with telling the " rise of the Stones" - that's a good story as any.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 20, 2012 11:31

Mathijs
Highlights:

Dissapointing:

1. There was not any real, real new footage. No surprises like NME 68 footage, new '69 footage, no 70/71/73 professionally recorded concert footage except for the short snippet of Sydney 73.

Then it sudenly was over with a remark by Mick 'you can't stay young forever'. I thought that was really weird, we where really expecting another hour of film, or a part 2. No mention of Ian Stewart's passing, the WWIII in the 80's, Bill Wyman leaving.

A bit shocking was Jagger's reaction on Brian Jones's passing. He discussed sacking Brian, and mentioned Jones then died a couple of months later. He was corrected by the interviewer that it is was only '3 weeks later' and Jagger reacted with a, in my eyes, emotional 'oh fvck'.

Mathijs

Thanks Mathijs, interesting. This is why you cant let the subject of a documentary dictate too much. I'd pay anything to see backstage material form the 70s, all footage of Brian, anything with Keith in the mid late 70s.

The backstage material from 1972, was it cool?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home