Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Gospel
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 25, 2012 22:52

Bit of a strange thread to start, but here goes. The Stones must have been influenced by some gospel music, especially round about Exile with Let It Loose, Shine A Light, Just Wanna See His Face. Kinda strange they did those songs in the south of France, when you think about it.

So I just wanna know, do you guys know of any good gospel music? Doesn't have to be all "Lor' have mercy on our po' souls" sorta thing, but what the Stones might've listened to at the time.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: Gospel
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 25, 2012 22:58

Some songs were done in Los Angeles where Jagger was attending a local church.
The choir on Shine A Light is from that church I believe...

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: September 25, 2012 23:03

video: [youtu.be]

Sam Cooke's first group Sam Cooke and the soul stirrers has some really good stuff look em up.... Particularity the song "be with me Jesus" I have yet to hear a better vocal since I heard that song ...makes wanna get on yaw knees and praise awwww know what I mean !!!

$&$)("""))

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 01:11 by TRS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2012 23:48

Goodbye Babylon - Dust To Digital ....

6 CD's of rare gospel .... Well detailed book with recording details
lyrics etc...All housed in a massive wooden box that looks like it was hand
made by some carpenter from Nazareth.......Even comes with real cotton bolls...It is a mighty mighty thing

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 26, 2012 00:12

Also look for early Aretha Franklin and Staple Singers recordings. Both were gospel acts for years in the 1950's before "going secular" in the 1960's.

Considering that I live in the middle of "The Bible Belt" I should be able to come up with some "Southern Gospel" acts but am having a hard time thinking of any right now... What was the name of June Carter Cash's family act before she met & married Johnny Cash? If I'm not mistaken, it may have just been "the Carter Family". If I remember correctly, they were very well known but may have been a bit early to have had much influence on the Stones.

Just found this wikipedia link which may help you in the right direction.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 26, 2012 00:15

The Deep River Boys "I'm Trampin'" from the 1930's and the Swan Silvertones "Just a Little Talk with Jesus" from the early 1950's
great Gospel music in the Jubilee style......

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 26, 2012 00:16

Why, thank you, that's mighty fine a y'all.

There was a neighbour we had once, who liked to wash her massive SUV in the driveway on early Sunday mornings, with the car doors open, and playing gospel music as loud as possible. So from those experiences I grew to dislike it, but I reckon there must be some great stuff to be found if I look.

Cheers.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 26, 2012 00:20

good thread.

Jagger/Arcade Fire/'Staple Singers'/SNL/etc...

[www.dailymotion.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 00:23 by Natlanta.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 26, 2012 00:33

mr_dja
Also look for early Aretha Franklin and Staple Singers recordings. Both were gospel acts for years in the 1950's before "going secular" in the 1960's.

Considering that I live in the middle of "The Bible Belt" I should be able to come up with some "Southern Gospel" acts but am having a hard time thinking of any right now... What was the name of June Carter Cash's family act before she met & married Johnny Cash? If I'm not mistaken, it may have just been "the Carter Family". If I remember correctly, they were very well known but may have been a bit early to have had much influence on the Stones.

Just found this wikipedia link which may help you in the right direction.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Al Green comes to mind too...and Johnny Cash put out quite a bit of gospel music too, as well as his other 'Sun' coworkers (Elvis, Jerry Lee, etc.).

Wingless Angels is kinda gospel? And how about that one he worked on with his step-sister??

Date: September 26, 2012 00:40

.... Track down the early Soul Stirrers with thee
mighty mighty R.H.Harris on lead .... he was Sam Cookes main man ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 26, 2012 01:02

Spirit Of Memphis - Happy In The Service Of The Lord
Acrobat Music - ADDCD3007

Great stuff and a lot of the leads vocals by the famous
W.M "Little Axe" Broadnax ...who it wasn't discovered was
actually a woman living as a man till after he'd passed away in 1992 ....

And supposedly the inspiration for the name of Skip McDonalds band Little Axe

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 26, 2012 01:58

Whether or not they influenced the Stones, The Blind Boys of Alabama come to mind, as well as Mahalia Jackson.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 26, 2012 02:25

Great thread. Surprised it's taken so long to come up.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 26, 2012 03:28

Kenny Latimore, Sister Rossetta ,Luther Barnes, Mississippi Mass Choir,
5 Blind Boys. Mighty Clouds Of Joy .

Son house + Blind Willie Johnson if you want old blues

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 26, 2012 05:02

Elvis Presley was big into Gospel music. One of his most famous ones is this one:

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 26, 2012 05:05

Mahalia Jackson did somereally good gospel

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:10

Pure gospel is not proper recorded...at least I have not been able to catch any good gospel on record....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:36

good little richard gospel at the apollo with billy preston

so that sent me looking for mick's gospel "out of focus" also with billy preston,
and whatdya know! a never-seen-by-me official mick video, with a much less
gospel version of the same song!

and finally something i think is out of this world, a primitive but purely
white form of gospel music called "sacred harp music", as recorded by
alan lomax in 1942. Lord!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 09:42 by superrevvy.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:51

yorkey
The Stones must have been influenced by some gospel music,...

I think Mick used to listen to gospel music on the coloured radio station while driving home thru Bakersfield on Sunday mornings.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: September 26, 2012 10:32

You got to listen to the late Larry Norman, he was the "father of Gospel rock".
He was a fan of the Stones and had always a Stones tape with him he said in a interview.
He sometimes did some "Jagger moves" in his consert and saying that " maybe mankind are coming from the monkyes after all !"

Start with the CD "Only wisiting this planet"

Date: September 26, 2012 11:05

Fire and brimstone stuff from Brother Claude Ely ...
An influence on that boy from Tupelo and His classic ...Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down covered by many others..

Dust To Digital recently released book/CD on Brother Claude

ROCKMAN

Date: September 26, 2012 11:26

Rockin' hillbilly gospel ....

Ernest Martin & His Gospel Melody Makers - BACM CD D152

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 26, 2012 14:10

Gospel wise, I don't much like Al Green's gospel material, preferring Belle where you can hear him having this debate between the sacred and the profane.

However, I love the Abyssinian Baptist Choir's Raising The Rafter's album which came out on CBS.

I also think Amazing Grace by Aretha Franklin is an amazing album of any genre: it also acts as the perfect compliment to Live @ The Fillmore.

The Blind Boys of Alabama are also great, and do an excellent Just Wanna See His Face on the Spirt of the Century album. I also appreciate all the Blind Boys of Alabama albums from Spirt onwards, even the Xmas album with Tom Waits duetting on an extraordinary Go Tell It On The Mountain.

I also like the Dixie Hummingbirds on the album they did before Ira Tucker died, Diamond Celebration. It was produced by Larry Campbell, and features Levon Helm and Garth Hudson. There's an amazing And We Bid You Goodnight on the album. Speaking of And We Bid You Goodnight - check out Blue Murder's version of it, which is included on the Watersons' Mighty River of Song box set on Topic records. Even at a young age Eliza Carthy has an amazing talent. Blue Murder also covered an excellent Where No One Stands Alone on their eponymous album.

There's also Elvis's gospel material anthologised on Peace In The Valley. Elvis put his heart and soul into gospel, and one of his best How Great Thou Art's if from a concert six weeks' before his demise.

What else ? The Fairfield Four Live on The Mountain Stage is great, and features Elvis Costello and Steve Earle as guests. Elvis Costello sings a great That Day Is Done, which he wrote with Paul McCartney. Isaac Freeman also did an excellent solo album on Lost Highway, entitled Beautiful Stars, which is all gospel.

Who else ? Aaron Neville does a quite beautiful version of Saving Grace on the Bob Dylan tribute album, Gotta Serve Somebody:the Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan. Aaron also did an excellent gospel album, produced by Joe Henry, entitled I Know I've Been Changed. Shirley Caesar's Gotta Serve Somebody and The Fairfield Four's Are You Ready are also top Dylan gospel covered by the right artist.

I also happen to like Slow Train Coming, as it is quite subtle in relation to Saved, which is more direct, and would love to see Bootleg Series Vol 10 by Dylan as a gospel concert.

However, other gospel that I have includes some amazing sacred steel by the Campbell Brothers & Kate Jackson on Arhoolie. I recommend Pass Me Not, as it is a great album. You'll also find The Campbell Brothers on one of the Sopranos soundtracks. Aubrey Ghent is also an amazing sacred steelist.

Also regarding sacred steel: check out The Word on ropeadope records, which features Robert Randolph and John Medeski amongst others. It is an instrumental gospel album that is joyous to listen to. It is also called Joyous Sound.

Jerry Lee Lewis also does a good gospel album that Bear Family have only recently issued on cd. It features him live in church in Memphis, and he is utterly passionate, utterly committed, and dates from 1970. The title on cd is Old Time Religion.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 26, 2012 14:13

Typo "In" not "if" on previous post.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 26, 2012 17:17

Don't forget Tom Jones's Praise and Blame:

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 27, 2012 01:27

tomcasagranda
Typo "In" not "if" on previous post.

Tom - You can also edit your post, rather then re-posting!

Date: September 27, 2012 01:34

........read a Tom Waits interview about 2 months ago where he said he'd just recently discovered the Reverend Edward.W.Clayborn

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: September 27, 2012 02:46

Cafaro
Kenny Latimore, Sister Rossetta ,Luther Barnes, Mississippi Mass Choir,
5 Blind Boys. Mighty Clouds Of Joy .

Son house + Blind Willie Johnson if you want old blues

You especially can't go wrong with Blind Willie Johnson. Not everyone's idea of traditional black gospel; a more bluesy solo artist. But what a voice, and that guitar playing...thumbs up

Date: September 30, 2012 12:02

Flyright FLY CD 64

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 30, 2012 13:08

Check out Pastor TL Barrett and the Youth For Christ Choir's amazing Like A Ship Without A Sail album.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home