Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did Brian Really Play On this ??
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 22, 2012 03:35

According to the uploader, Brian plays sax on this tune. First I've heard of it.

Re: Did Brian Really Play On this ??
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2012 03:39

he sure did.

[en.wikipedia.org])

The song ahs a long and drawn-out recording history, to say the least.

he's also on the alternate version thats on 'Anthology'

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 22, 2012 03:41

Yes, Brian Jones did in fact play sax on The Beatles' You Know My Name, Look Up My Number--that is, Brian "Saxophone" Jones of The Undertakers, who later became a session musician. Here he is with The Undertakers still playing sax in 2009:

www.myspace.com/theoriginalundertakers/photos/26967431#%7B%22IimageId%22%3A26967431%7D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 03:45 by stonesnow.

Date: September 22, 2012 04:31

It made perfect sense that The Beatles would have Brian Jones playing sax on You Know My Name, Look Up My Number, as Brian and The Beatles were old pals from their Liverpool Merseybeat days, during which The Undertakers had some visibility.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Undertakers

Also in The Undertakers (on lead vocals and bass) was Jackie Lomax, better known as the late 60s Apple recording artist who released singles produced by George Harrison, whose song Sour Milk Sea was recorded by Lomax. Harrison and Eric Clapton are on guitar, Paul McCartney is on bass, and you'll recognize Ringo on drums, with Nicky Hopkins playing piano. The single made the top 30 in Canada (#29).

Date: September 22, 2012 04:37

stonesnow
Yes, Brian Jones did in fact play sax on The Beatles' You Know My Name, Look Up My Number--that is, Brian "Saxophone" Jones of The Undertakers, who later became a session musician. Here he is with The Undertakers still playing sax in 2009:

www.myspace.com/theoriginalundertakers/photos/26967431#%7B%22IimageId%22%3A26967431%7D

Certainly makes more sense that its The Undertakers' Brian Jones. Zentgraf's site lists it as the Stones' Brian Jones, though.

I've read its that guy and I've read its the Stones' Brian Jones as well...I don't think our Brian ever played sax on a Stones record, did he?

(edit - apparently he plays sax on 'Citadel' which interestingly enough was recorded (or started) the day AFTER his supposed cameo on 'You Know My Name')

He's also credited as backing vocalist on 'Yellow Submarine' (overdub session from 1st June 1966)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 04:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 22, 2012 04:38

Brian did play on "Baby your a rich Man" I think

Date: September 22, 2012 04:45

doubledoor

Oboe, according to Ian McDonald's book. Jagger is supposedly on backing vocals.

Unusually for a Beatles song, this track was recorded at Olympic Studios and not Abbey Road.

Date: September 22, 2012 11:01

Gazza
stonesnow

Certainly makes more sense that its The Undertakers' Brian Jones. Zentgraf's site lists it as the Stones' Brian Jones, though.

I've read its that guy and I've read its the Stones' Brian Jones as well...I don't think our Brian ever played sax on a Stones record, did he?

(edit - apparently he plays sax on 'Citadel' which interestingly enough was recorded (or started) the day AFTER his supposed cameo on 'You Know My Name')

He's also credited as backing vocalist on 'Yellow Submarine' (overdub session from 1st June 1966)

Well, I was uncertain of this myself, because our Brian is often credited, but again, only the Stones would allow him to be noodling away on an instrument besides guitar and include it on a Stones record. But, of course, the "other" Brian Jones connection would thus explain the Jackie Lomax "phenomenon" at Apple Records. I mean, how does this guy, who apparently comes out of nowhere to record 3 flop singles and an unreleased album, inspire George Harrison to write for and produce him as well as get Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins, Leon Russel, Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr to play for him without having some sort of pedigree or past relationship with the people involved? And, as it turns out, Jackie Lomax didn't come from nowhere, at least as far as The Beatles were concerned, and as it also turns out, there was "another Brian Jones" in the 60s who played alt sax and who was asked to play on a Beatles track. A new one on us all...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 22, 2012 11:34

Excuse my stupidity, but it's not the Stones' Brian Jones on You Know My Name Look Up the Number then? In which case the Anthology credits are wrong (possible, of course).

I think Brian ("our" Brian) played sax on Child Of The Moon as well, didn't he?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 22, 2012 11:50

Thanks for the mis-information stonesnow, but Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones did indeed play saxophone on You Know My Name. Your blurb about Lomax etc is all fine and dandy, but it has no relation to Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones playing soprano saxophone on You Know My Name, Look Up The Number. cool smiley

Brian is also sometimes mistakenly credited with playing sax and/or oboe on Baby You're A Rich Man. There is no sax and/or oboe on the track though, the crazy instrument heard on that track is a clavioline played by John Lennon.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 19:21 by His Majesty.

Date: September 22, 2012 11:58

"It was Brian Jones of the Stones. He turned up very, very nervous with a sax, and we said 'Oh, we thought you'd bring a guitar!' and he'd brought a sax. I invited him to the session. Absolutely definitely Brian of the Stones. Unequivocably, as they say."

- Paul McCartney

"I used to like Brian a lot. I thought it would be a fun idea to have him, and I naturally thought he’d bring a guitar along to a Beatles session and maybe chung along and do some nice rhythm guitar or a little bit of electric twelve-string or something, but to our surprise he brought his saxophone. He opened up his sax case and started putting a reed in and warming up, playing a little bit. He was a really ropey sax player, so I thought, Ah-hah. We’ve got just this the tune. Brian plays a funny sax solo. It’s not amazingly well played but it happened to be exactly what we wanted. Brian was very good like that. Brian always had a pleasant word. We always got on like a house on fire. He had a good old sense of humour, I remember laughing and giggling a lot with him. And we would play jokes on him."

- Paul McCartney

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 12:03

Gazza
doubledoor

Unusually for a Beatles song, this track was recorded at Olympic Studios and not Abbey Road.

Ah yes, that wonderful oboe playing on Baby you're a rich man. It just wouldn't be the same without that. Almost as significant as his 'percussion' playing on Midnight Rambler.

Date: September 22, 2012 12:06

Gazza
...I don't think our Brian ever played sax on a Stones record, did he?

He also plays saxophone on:

Something Happened To Me Yesterday(according to Bill's books)

Dandelion

Child of the Moon

Date: September 22, 2012 12:08

Roll73
Gazza
doubledoor

Ah yes, that wonderful oboe playing on Baby you're a rich man. It just wouldn't be the same without that. Almost as significant as his 'percussion' playing on Midnight Rambler.

It isn't an oboe and it wasn't Brian. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 12:14 by His Majesty.

Date: September 22, 2012 12:11

stonesnow
Yes, Brian Jones did in fact play sax on The Beatles' You Know My Name, Look Up My Number--that is, Brian "Saxophone" Jones of The Undertakers, who later became a session musician.

Incorrect.

Brian of The Undertakers didn't play on any Beatles records, but he did play on Paul's brothers album McGough & McGear though.

smileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 12:25 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 12:58

His Majesty
Roll73
Gazza
doubledoor

What is this? Cluedo?! Brian Jones, with the Oboe, in the library smiling smiley

Date: September 22, 2012 13:58

Roll73
His Majesty
Roll73
Gazza
doubledoor

What is this? Cluedo?! Brian Jones, with the Oboe, in the library smiling smiley

No, just you being wrong.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 22, 2012 14:44

AFAIK the Beatles invited Brian (yes, the blonde one who formed the Stones!) to their session to cheer him up. He had been complaining to John about Mick and Keith taking over everything so John suggested he should go solo. Then he invited him to join the Beatles for a session.

According to one book Mick Jagger is supposed to have been their as well but who knows...

Date: September 22, 2012 19:12

tonterapi
AFAIK the Beatles invited Brian (yes, the blonde one who formed the Stones!) to their session to cheer him up. He had been complaining to John about Mick and Keith taking over everything so John suggested he should go solo. Then he invited him to join the Beatles for a session.

According to one book Mick Jagger is supposed to have been their as well but who knows...

Too much drama, probably happened just as Paul said.

Date: September 23, 2012 03:09

His Majesty
"It was Brian Jones of the Stones. He turned up very, very nervous with a sax, and we said 'Oh, we thought you'd bring a guitar!' and he'd brought a sax. I invited him to the session. Absolutely definitely Brian of the Stones. Unequivocably, as they say."

- Paul McCartney

"I used to like Brian a lot. I thought it would be a fun idea to have him, and I naturally thought he’d bring a guitar along to a Beatles session and maybe chung along and do some nice rhythm guitar or a little bit of electric twelve-string or something, but to our surprise he brought his saxophone. He opened up his sax case and started putting a reed in and warming up, playing a little bit. He was a really ropey sax player, so I thought, Ah-hah. We’ve got just this the tune. Brian plays a funny sax solo. It’s not amazingly well played but it happened to be exactly what we wanted. Brian was very good like that. Brian always had a pleasant word. We always got on like a house on fire. He had a good old sense of humour, I remember laughing and giggling a lot with him. And we would play jokes on him."

- Paul McCartney

Oh, very well, then. I guess if Paul says it was the Brian Jones, then you can't argue against that source, can you? I stand corrected.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 11:58

There is some written stuff stonesnow about it being the other Brian Jones, which was confusing, and more down to poor research. Once Lewison's books, and The Anthology project came out, it was definitively determined it was Rolling Stone Brian Jones. Jagger on Baby Your a Rich Man. Keith Moon, Mick, Marianne, on All You Need is Love. That is what is so amusing about all the Beatles / Stones threads, they were pals, respected each other's talents and like to collaborate.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 25, 2012 07:44

There's also a "Brian Jones" in the credits for the MCGEAR album by Paul's brother Mike, produced by McCartney. Released in the 70s but some of the recordings may have their origins in the 60s. I don't know if it's the Undertaker or the Stone on that album.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 25, 2012 07:46

FWIW if you click on the name "Brian Jones" in the credits on this entry it takes you to the Undertakers:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: September 25, 2012 10:16

Glam Descendant
There's also a "Brian Jones" in the credits for the MCGEAR album by Paul's brother Mike, produced by McCartney. Released in the 70s but some of the recordings may have their origins in the 60s. I don't know if it's the Undertaker or the Stone on that album.

That's the non stones Brian Jones.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 25, 2012 18:00

His Majesty
Too much drama, probably happened just as Paul said.
I guess so. The easiest explanation is usually the right one. smiling smiley

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 19:12

stonesnow
His Majesty

- Paul McCartney

- Paul McCartney

Oh, very well, then. I guess if Paul says it was the Brian Jones, then you can't argue against that source, can you? I stand corrected.

It's not Paul McCartney of the Beatles, it's William Campbell. So we have a Brian Jones of the Stones, another Brian Jones (a sax player), a Paul McCartney and a William Campbell, aka Paul McCartney speaking of Brian Jones... but who? Kinda scary!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home