Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 16
Re: The Rolling Stones exit recording studio in Paris Aug. 21
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 24, 2012 23:41

DandelionPowderman
jazzbass
DandelionPowderman
mickijaggeroo
MickyG
Wonder who is playing the SG...could it be Mick T's?

Could be Jaggers, he played one in 81/82

Ronnie has been using one a few times as well.

I don't remember seeing Ronnie or Mick T using an SG. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing Keith play one either.

Er, what about the entire 1969 tour? Take a look at the Ya Ya's cover.

Yes, Immediately regretted my reply the second I hit "post message".

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 24, 2012 23:50

SG? check Keith in 73 in Australia

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 25, 2012 00:49

djgab
dear Gazza

thanks very much for the answer
I missed the " multi-disc (and multimedia) greatest hits package" info
is there a link with the documentary ? or two separate things ?

Regards
djgab

Its not 'officially' announced yet, but Universal will release a hits album in or around November. Unconfirmed info indicates it'll be a 3 CD + 1 DVD package - I think the DVD will be a compilation of their videos, although I'm not sure. There are certainly people on here with better contacts to UMG than me who would have more insight.

I believe the documentary will be separate - I think its out next month or thereabouts.

Re: ROLLING STONES EXIT RECORDING STUDIO IN PARIS 21Aug
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 25, 2012 01:33

lunar!!!
i'm tired of getting excited over nothing most of the time

Yep, that's a sign of getting old smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 25, 2012 02:38

Here's, maybe, a grandiloquent question: Why has it been so difficult for them to produce records the last two or three decades? During the last fifteen years they have only managed to release one studio album ( A Bigger Bang, 2005). Has it anything to do (just guessing) with the minimal amount of time they are willing to spend in recording studios? Or the generous amount of time they are willing to spend on all sorts of other activities between tours?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 25, 2012 02:48

photo of Mick in studio was great....maybe Keith actually wrote something for him to sing...he looked happy

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 02:51

Stoneage
Here's, maybe, a grandiloquent question: Why has it been so difficult for them to produce records the last two or three decades? During the last fifteen years they have only managed to release one studio album ( A Bigger Bang, 2005). Has it anything to do (just guessing) with the minimal amount of time they are willing to spend in recording studios? Or the generous amount of time they are willing to spend on all sorts of other activities between tours?

I think it has more to do with that they have nothing much left to say, musically. They've done a lot, said a lot, and much of it was brilliant. But in the last 20 years, many of their lyrics sound contrived, and musically uneven, at best. Don't get me wrong, I love the band, they have meant a lot to me and I hope they record more and tour more. I just don't think that have a lot left to say. I'd frankly rather have them covering some blues and r&r than trying to put of stuff like 'Streets Of Love'. They would play the blues or Chuck Berry or Eddie Cochran with more fire.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 25, 2012 03:06

marcovandereijk
jazzbass

I don't remember seeing Ronnie or Mick T using an SG. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing Keith play one either.

Thanks to with sssoul, we never have to ask ourselves questions like these. There is
always the Ratbag Boogie threads to turn to (Ratbag Boogie

Here's Ronnie with a blue SG in Sheffield and Bergen in 2006 (thanks to Skink for
posting it in the first place)

Wow, Ronnie's is sweet! Now find me one with Keith playing an SG!

And Mick Taylor of course, on a picture by Nevis Cameron:

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 25, 2012 03:17

buffalo7478
Stoneage

I think it has more to do with that they have nothing much left to say, musically. They've done a lot, said a lot, and much of it was brilliant. But in the last 20 years, many of their lyrics sound contrived, and musically uneven, at best. Don't get me wrong, I love the band, they have meant a lot to me and I hope they record more and tour more. I just don't think that have a lot left to say. I'd frankly rather have them covering some blues and r&r than trying to put of stuff like 'Streets Of Love'. They would play the blues or Chuck Berry or Eddie Cochran with more fire.

Thanks for your reply, Buffalo 7478. I agree with the first part of your reply. It's true, they have probably emptied their repertoire by now. I'm not so fond of them doing more blues covers though. I think they have kind of already done that. There is not much more to add to that genre.

Date: August 25, 2012 06:04

They have left over material from ABB and Charlie is involved? I doubt that means anything. If Charlie is there they're doing NEW RECORDINGS.

Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Mick Taylor doing overdubs on the Exile and Some Girls material is not 'the band' working, it's individuals working on whatever. And to what degree is obvious.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 25, 2012 09:01

Stoneage

Maybe it has to do with Jagger knowing that classic rock radio wouldn't be interested anyway, even it is great, and that they wouldn't be changing their set list anyway, even if new stuff would be great. They could be releasing a new Brown Sugar, but those ticket-buying, classic-rock beer bellies would just be waddling off to the restrooms or concession stands when new songs are announced, as Jagger is well aware.

Date: August 25, 2012 09:04

dadrob
Charlie is wearing nice loafers...everyone else is in sneakers

Pardon me, but you work for the Daily Mail?

Date: August 25, 2012 09:14

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
They have left over material from ABB and Charlie is involved? I doubt that means anything. If Charlie is there they're doing NEW RECORDINGS.

Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Mick Taylor doing overdubs on the Exile and Some Girls material is not 'the band' working, it's individuals working on whatever. And to what degree is obvious.

Eh? I know Charlie is an original member, but he's still the drummer. He'll drum on whatever Jagger/Richards say he'll drum on. I mean, that's like calling Ronnie Wood a major songwriter--true in one sense, but not in the Stones sense.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 10:21

proudmary

Any idea what is it in the bag?

Yeah, a tune. Ronnie can't carry a tune. So he handed it off to Charlie.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 25, 2012 11:51

Maybe they're recording a new version of "So Young"...

Original version

Piano version

1994 version (taken from Love is Strong cd single)

2011 version

next version may be punk or reggae.

Date: August 25, 2012 16:22

stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Eh? I know Charlie is an original member, but he's still the drummer. He'll drum on whatever Jagger/Richards say he'll drum on. I mean, that's like calling Ronnie Wood a major songwriter--true in one sense, but not in the Stones sense.

What I said without saying it is I highly doubt Charlie is overdubbing drums to old tracks. They'd not all be together if they weren't recording new material.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 16:36

They have recorded a couple of new tracks for the forthcoming new compilation

Date: August 25, 2012 16:49

mailexile67
They have recorded a couple of new tracks for the forthcoming new compilation

48 Licks then, since they'll leave off two good songs for these clunkers.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 25, 2012 16:50

That's what I'd think. BUT ... I ain't holding me breathe 'cuz lookit what they did
the last time they did this.

Date: August 25, 2012 17:00

TheDailyBuzzherd
That's what I'd think. BUT ... I ain't holding me breathe 'cuz lookit what they did
the last time they did this.

You mean when they released 36 Licks?!?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 25, 2012 17:43

buffalo7478
Stoneage

Agreed. But it's worth noting that the 71-year-old Bob Dylan, just as an example, still has a lot to "say" ... he has released several critically-acclaimed albums in the past few years and will release his 35th studio album, Tempest, on September 11.

Similarly, the great bluesman whom the Stones have always admired have retained their intensity and creative fire into their elder years; just look at Buddy Guy, for example.

The lack of creative output from the Stones in the past 20 years is disappointing and was by no means inevitable.

Drew

Posted by: LillithFlair ()
Date: August 25, 2012 18:44

Cocaine Eyes
oldkr
CherokeeStone
Whose the women holding the dog

Jane Rose

OLDKR

Right. And that looks like the same little white dog who was merely a puppy at Toronto rehearsals a few years back. Very cute dog!

tongue sticking out smiley

That's Delilah the Maltese. She's an old girl now cute to see she's still around though.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 25, 2012 19:48

drewmaster
buffalo7478
Stoneage

Agreed. But it's worth noting that the 71-year-old Bob Dylan, just as an example, still has a lot to "say" ... he has released several critically-acclaimed albums in the past few years and will release his 35th studio album, Tempest, on September 11.

Similarly, the great bluesman whom the Stones have always admired have retained their intensity and creative fire into their elder years; just look at Buddy Guy, for example.

The lack of creative output from the Stones in the past 20 years is disappointing and was by no means inevitable.

Drew
Neil Young is another example of someone who has a lot to "say" still. Love him.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 25, 2012 19:59

lunar!!!

Looks like it's Jane Rose, his manager. Well this is a nice birthday surprise for me! I am also surprised there isn't a little more enthusiasm here, it looks like they might actually be doing something.[/quote]

It seems Keith cant go anywhere without Jane Rose... maybe he does not feel secure alone around Mick.

Date: August 25, 2012 20:31

GumbootCloggeroo
drewmaster
buffalo7478
Stoneage

Drew
Neil Young is another example of someone who has a lot to "say" still. Love him.

thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 25, 2012 20:35

Loudei
lunar!!!

Looks like it's Jane Rose, his manager. Well this is a nice birthday surprise for me! I am also surprised there isn't a little more enthusiasm here, it looks like they might actually be doing something.

It seems Keith cant go anywhere without Jane Rose... maybe he does not feel secure alone around Mick.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but are you still in high school? These kind of comments are so juvenile. I repeat, known of us know why Jane Rose was there, and who the heck cares?

Date: August 25, 2012 20:39

latebloomer
Loudei
lunar!!!

Looks like it's Jane Rose, his manager. Well this is a nice birthday surprise for me! I am also surprised there isn't a little more enthusiasm here, it looks like they might actually be doing something.

It seems Keith cant go anywhere without Jane Rose... maybe he does not feel secure alone around Mick.

I'm sorry, but are you still in high school? These kind of comments are so juvenile. I repeat, known of us know why Jane Rose was there, and who the heck cares?[/quote]

I'm telling.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 25, 2012 20:54

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
latebloomer
Loudei
lunar!!!

I'm sorry, but are you still in high school? These kind of comments are so juvenile. I repeat, known of us know why Jane Rose was there, and who the heck cares?

I'm telling.[/quote]

Tell all you want, I've been in trouble all week anyhow. cool smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: August 25, 2012 22:14

MightyStonesStillRollin50
GumbootCloggeroo
drewmaster
buffalo7478
Stoneage

Drew

thumbs up

I think it has more to do with the fact that nobody buys new albums anymore from any artist, and Stones can make more money from touring, documentaries and from selling their back catalogue. There really isnt that much money made from any new material.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 25, 2012 22:28

Loudei

Jane was not at the studio on thursday. Probably she didn't extend her stay, I was told that they intended at first to leave on wednesday, with Mick staying one more day. Mick was staying at the studio much longer than the others, arriving one hour later but often leaving around midnight when the others left around eight.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home