Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Brian Jones July 3, 1969
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 3, 2012 18:25

Anniversary of Brian's death.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: Brian Jones July 3, 1969
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 3, 2012 18:38

A Firebird VII and a pin stripe suit. Jones was beyond cool!!!!

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: July 3, 2012 19:36

thanx brian- without you it wouldnt be no 50 yrs to celebrate!
and thanx for the awesome mellotron on we love you & 2000 lightyears....you blew my mind.
norway

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 3, 2012 19:41

There is a little of Brian in all of us. He would probably have hated the 70's and 80's anyway. RIP Mr. Jones. peace

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 3, 2012 19:43

Naturalust
There is a little of Brian in all of us.
What do you mean by that Naturalust?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 3, 2012 19:48

Thanks for the Stones and the best music ever made!
WE LOVE YOU!

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: July 3, 2012 19:51

Rest In Peace

Date: July 3, 2012 20:10

ChrisM
Naturalust

If you have to ask....No, really I likely mean that we are talking about him and thinking about him TODAY and human thought being the powerful force it is somehow infuses us physically with the essence of the man. peace

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 3, 2012 20:40

And two years to the day after Brian's departure, Jim Morrison left this earth.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 3, 2012 20:44

misterfrias
I thought this thread was about Brian...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:28

It's too bad he died too soon, before he could tell his own story. Or would he have been haunted as the man who blew it, just as they were on the cusp of greater fame and glory? Over the years, and with being on this blog, I've begun to see him as lazy. And his intransigence in the studio, and even on the road at times, made it harder on the others, especially Keith, who had to pick up what should have been Brian's load.

He was an artist, the kind of guy who could pick up any instrument and get something memorable out of it, and then never pick it up again. He ignited a new kind of rock and roll with his exciting slide lead on I Wanna Be Your Man and then seemed to have no interest in rock whatsoever, and never again contributed a notable extended lead. He must have been a very frustrating person to deal with. It's hard to imagine what kind of success he could have had as a solo artist or in another group setting. Could he have avoided the mountains of cocaine in the 70s, or would he have dived right in? Heroin isn't brought up much when discussing Brian. God knows what that darkness would have done to him.

I guess we still discuss him because of the haunting unique musical nuggets he left behind. He could touch you with his ethereal sensitivity. And he was such a fashion king. It's unknown whether he ever understood how important his visual persona was to the 60s version of the band. I guess he was a right bastard with all the illegitimate kids, and he really is undeserving of sympathy. And yet there is something sad about it. Something indefineable. Like Brian.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:34

He was just a boy really, but musically atleast, the boy done good!

Brian Jones? You continue to inspire...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 22:42 by His Majesty.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:47

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 3, 2012 22:24

I suspect Brian knew about the impact of his fashion on the band.
How could you dress like that and not know?

Let alone his perfect hair!

My impression is that Brian knew what drugs had done to him
and he was beginning to get clean when the end came.

It seems to me like he was rediscovering the direction he wanted to go in.
Where that might have been is all speculation. I've read he liked CCR
so that might have been a start. Sort of a return to his roots.

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 3, 2012 22:58

RiP

What if?

"Speckled speculation" - Beefheart

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 3, 2012 23:03

Thank You Brian.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 3, 2012 23:36

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 4, 2012 00:20

Thank you dear Brian for the inspiration. Sad that you never got more time to do what you wanted to do musically and not being able to give us your side of the story.

24FPS
I've begun to see him as lazy. And his intransigence in the studio, and even on the road at times, made it harder on the others, especially Keith, who had to pick up what should have been Brian's load.
That is exactly one of those things where I would love to have had Brian's side of story. We mostly just hear Keith bitching about it. But I don't think it was that simple.

It would surprise me if Brian was lazy musically. But I think he dreaded to go down to the studio at times when he was seen as the joke of the band. Mick has said that they were merciless towards him (young guys and the alpha male BS) and even though they may not have meant to hurt him, Brian was too sensitive to deal with it. A bad circle really that could have been cleared with a good talk. But I don't think there was time or any interest to do so. They were young guys.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-04 00:23 by tonterapi.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 4, 2012 00:34

love and light to Brian - thanks and praises, love and light

- Alexandra Palace, June 26th 1964 by John Hopkins

Date: July 4, 2012 00:44

tonterapi
Thank you dear Brian for the inspiration. Sad that you never got more time to do what you wanted to do musically and not being able to give us your side of the story.

24FPS
I've begun to see him as lazy. And his intransigence in the studio, and even on the road at times, made it harder on the others, especially Keith, who had to pick up what should have been Brian's load.
That is exactly one of those things where I would love to have had Brian's side of story. We mostly just hear Keith bitching about it. But I don't think it was that simple.

It would surprise me if Brian was lazy musically. But I think he dreaded to go down to the studio at times when he was seen as the joke of the band. Mick has said that they were merciless towards him (young guys and the alpha male BS) and even though they may not have meant to hurt him, Brian was too sensitive to deal with it. A bad circle really that could have been cleared with a good talk. But I don't think there was time or any interest to do so. They were young guys.

Mick has stated that they were merciless 'towards the end'. By that time Brian had managed to alienate each and every Stone, including Bill. Bill states they were friends and yet I've rarely if ever seen a picture of them two together. I wonder if Bill thought they were friends but Brian was friends with Bill because Mick and Keith wouldn't be friends with Brian. And as Charlie said about Brian, "I was only the drummer."

They had put up with him missing time in the studio and even on stage. As the pressure grew on them to churn out pop albums and tours every year, he receded to the background. If you look at videos from 1965 he seems lost and Bill is more in the forefront than Brian is. Then when Brian starts playing the exotic instruments the camera returns to him and he is happily out front again. But the changing times demanded guitar music and that's the one instrument he had neglected. I never understood why he couldn't play a non-slide lead. Brian was lazy in that he did not improve his guitar playing skills. Or really stick with one instrument over time at all.

"Poor' Brian brought on his own calamities. He should have been slapped up side the head when he knocked up a girl as a teenager. People kept letting him get away with his obnoxious behavior. If the RCMP in Toronto hadn't intervened on Keith, do you think he would have ever stopped shooting smack? Shirley intervened on Charlie in the 80s. Bill and Mick appear to have gotten their own selves under control. But Brian was too headstrong and cocksure about his place in the world. Nobody could tell him what to do. RIP.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: July 4, 2012 01:08

Been posted here before - but worth watching again.Thanks Brian.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: July 4, 2012 01:13

Nice tribute Marv Peck.

24FPS - Wait until tomorrow and then you can rag on Brian. The thread will still be here.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 4, 2012 01:34

24FPS
They had put up with him missing time in the studio and even on stage.

They didnt have to put up with anything since they were very happy to run things on their own. You think Keith was upset if he had to overdub the guitar?

I never understood why he couldn't play a non-slide lead. Brian was lazy in that he did not improve his guitar playing skills. Or really stick with one instrument over time at all.

The reason he changed gear wasnt laziness, it was due to the PR done on Keith on behalf of Brian.

People kept letting him get away with his obnoxious behavior. If the RCMP in Toronto hadn't intervened on Keith, do you think he would have ever stopped shooting smack?

He didnt quit in 1977 or 1978. He quit in 1980.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-04 01:35 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: July 4, 2012 01:47

vudicus
A Firebird VII and a pin stripe suit. Jones was beyond cool!!!!

I have to agree. Forgot, so I am paying my respects now

Date: July 4, 2012 03:30

Marie
Nice tribute Marv Peck.

24FPS - Wait until tomorrow and then you can rag on Brian. The thread will still be here.

I'm not really trying to rag on Brian as much as try to get a balance. Some people deify him, which is ridiculous. And some, like Stu, don't give him enough credit.

And yes, I know Keith didn't quit smack overnight in 1977. But getting busted is what put him on the road of quit, relapse, etc, until he finally kicked.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 4, 2012 04:12

24FPS: You're not wrong. Just sayin'. smileys with beer

That said, respect goes to Brian for what he did do right,
he made a hellavuh contribution to pop music. Thanks man.

To the survivors, thanks for keeping the train rollin'.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 4, 2012 04:59

GumbootCloggeroo
misterfrias
I thought this thread was about Brian...

...it's about to turn into a thread about an announcement about something that might happen someday involving someone ......and some sort of anniversary or something....

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 4, 2012 12:26

Yes, if he'd lived this forum would have been packed with Brian to rejoin rumours.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 4, 2012 20:11

Naturalust
ChrisM
Naturalust

If you have to ask....No, really I likely mean that we are talking about him and thinking about him TODAY and human thought being the powerful force it is somehow infuses us physically with the essence of the man. peace
I never would have guessed that was your intended meaning if I had not asked so yes, I did have to ask ...

Date: July 4, 2012 20:53

ChrisM
Naturalust
ChrisM
Naturalust

I never would have guessed that was your intended meaning if I had not asked so yes, I did have to ask ...

Fair enough. Said in another way, as an archetypical figure in todays culture, Brian's truths have importantly survived to present day and are carried in the thoughts and dreams of many, many people, you and I included. peace

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home