Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Now I know why Steven Tyler is the "poor man's Jagger"
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2012 19:43

Max'sKansasCity
I think maybe people who are comparing a band/person providing a song for an ad..... or doing an ad for a guitar company to what Tyler is doing here... then they probably have not seen this ad. Tyler is acting like he works/eats at BK and in his full drag getup... it is pretty bad... and I usually give a lot of slack to what these guys wanna do.... but come on...
Shouldnt there be point at which the famous wont whore out their celebrity name to sell crap... like fast food?
You are completely missing the point in this commercial. The point of it is HUMOUR. It's celebrities not taking themselves so seriously. David Beckham, Salma Hayek, Jay Leno, Mary J Blige have all done similar Burger King commercials. Geico did the same thing. They hired various celebrities to appear in a funny and not-so-serious way in their commercials. Keith Richards was in a Louis Vuitton ad. Was he showing his softer side in it? No. He was Mr. Serious. Hell, even Lou Reed was in a commercial for Honda scooters being "Lou Reed". I think it's lame when celebs endorse products but if they do it, doing it in a comedic, not-so-serious way is a little less painful.

Date: May 14, 2012 19:52

GumbootCloggeroo
Max'sKansasCity
I think maybe people who are comparing a band/person providing a song for an ad..... or doing an ad for a guitar company to what Tyler is doing here... then they probably have not seen this ad. Tyler is acting like he works/eats at BK and in his full drag getup... it is pretty bad... and I usually give a lot of slack to what these guys wanna do.... but come on...
Shouldnt there be point at which the famous wont whore out their celebrity name to sell crap... like fast food?
You are completely missing the point in this commercial. The point of it is HUMOUR. It's celebrities not taking themselves so seriously. David Beckham, Salma Hayek, Jay Leno, Mary J Blige have all done similar Burger King commercials. Geico did the same thing. They hired various celebrities to appear in a funny and not-so-serious way in their commercials. Keith Richards was in a Louis Vuitton ad. Was he showing his softer side in it? No. He was Mr. Serious. Hell, even Lou Reed was in a commercial for Honda scooters being "Lou Reed". I think it's lame when celebs endorse products but if they do it, doing it in a comedic, not-so-serious way is a little less painful.

Well, maybe it is the product itself that matters. Burger King just isn't sexy.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:04

Beer and guitars are one thing.... pink slime burgers are another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-14 20:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:32

My favorite Aerosmith commercial... I can't remember if it was from the 1992 or 1996 U.S. Presidential Election. If my memory serves me, I believe it was from 1992 but can't be sure...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 14, 2012 21:24

chelskeith
What cheapens and hurts the brand reputation and market value of major rock band more, Tyler doing a cheesy ad like this, or Mick playing on Ntl TV during his bands FIFTIETH anniversary year with Jeff Beck, and not with Keith Richards, whom everyone wants to see him playing with.

At what point, if ever, will MJ figure out that playing with people like JLo, Will I Am, Damian Marley, Dave Stewart, Joss Stone and everyone else he plays with is cool, but no one who pays for his lifestyle would choose those people over The Stones.

This is EXACTLY what pissed off Joe Perry when Tyler signed on as a judge, cause he knew the Friggin Burger King ad was just a matter of time.

Same with Keith, and Mick is totally pulling this crap to get under Keith's skin as payback for some things said in Life.

Bummer is at this point no one wins, except maybe the Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Jeff Beck and Lorne Michaels.

Mick- send a jet to bring Ronnie and Charlie back to the US before Saturday, or this mistake could really be a whopper.

However much I agree with you brother, and i do, it's a personal decision for each individual to make in the end. Nobody has an obligation to box in their creative sides in order to produce market value and brand reputation. If it ain't happenin' where it used to you gotta move on or die.

Listen to Robert Plant talk about it in the BBC special "By Myself" on YouTube. He articulates it quite well from someone who is uniquely qualified to understand this on the level of Mick Jagger. We may not all like the paths these hugely creative individuals have taken but it is their path afterall. peace

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 14, 2012 21:43

I remember Tyler saying he wanted to work on "Brand Tyler".....well here it is.

It's no different that MJ doing his silliness pretending to be hip, Ozzy and Gene Simmons doing TV shows..etc...

The whole thing is that many of us grew up in a time when rock music was part of something bigger--non corporate. We also attach music to our own life experiences and when it gets corporatized, we feel that it been taken away from us.

I think we also feel like the musicians "are doing it for th fans" when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 15, 2012 02:45

Cafaro

The whole thing is that many of us grew up in a time when rock music was part of something bigger--non corporate. We also attach music to our own life experiences and when it gets corporatized, we feel that it been taken away from us.

I think we also feel like the musicians "are doing it for th fans" when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

That's quite a sad and sentimental take on it Caforo you've obviously got a big heart. But I'm here to tell you there are plenty of musicians doing it for the fans. Maybe not the ones that did when we were younger and attached higher value in such relationships but plenty of new fresh music and people who have devoted their lives to it and also willing and happy to put it out for you to listen to.

Let the giants hock burgers but keep your ears open for the quieter voices. peace

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 02:51

chelskeith
What cheapens and hurts the brand reputation and market value of major rock band more, Tyler doing a cheesy ad like this, or Mick playing on Ntl TV during his bands FIFTIETH anniversary year with Jeff Beck, and not with Keith Richards, whom everyone wants to see him playing with.

Mick has every right to do whatever the hell he wants without checking in with Keef. YOU may wanna see him playing with Keef, but HE doesn't want to. File a complaint with his publicist.

Jesus Christ - these old farts have been playing together for decades. They can do whatever the @#$%& they want without having to call or fax the other ones. "Fans" can't forever live in the past - Keith and Mick do not ride on the tour bus together anymore. If you want to see them together then go over to PooTube and watch a video of an old, fumbling Keef and a hilariously un-ironicly campy Mick prancing around.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 15, 2012 04:18

Always hugely overrated band!
Not one really good album which could keep up with other artists classic albums.
Some okay songs and some inflated Hollywood stuff. That's all . .

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 15, 2012 13:44

Tyler is great! He's no Mick clone or copy cat. He's his own man. If you've read his books, you'd have a deeper appreciation of the guy. Why would Stones fans bitch about Tyler?? They have never tried to SOUND like the Stones!

Date: May 15, 2012 13:53

mickschix
Tyler is great! He's no Mick clone or copy cat. He's his own man. If you've read his books, you'd have a deeper appreciation of the guy. Why would Stones fans bitch about Tyler?? They have never tried to SOUND like the Stones!

Seriously? I like early Aerosmith myself, but of course they've tried to sound like the Stones. Some songs are very similar, their appearance (especially Tyler) are VERY similar and they've done loads of covers that the Stones did first (I Ain't Got You, Walking The Dog and You Gotta Move being some of them)

This one is pure Stones (I know they didn't write it, but anyway...):

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 15, 2012 14:50

Tyler and the guitarist sometimes sing into one mic. They're definately Stones clones. Didn't Mick once say of Tyler in the seventies "Who is this guy trying to be me?!!"

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 15, 2012 15:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-15 15:43 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 15, 2012 15:40

DandelionPowderman
stupidguy2
DandelionPowderman
brownsugar86
Koen
The Stones are just as bad. Remember Start Me Up and Microsoft?

Yes but that was just allowing the song to be used not actually appearing in it as themselves!

I remember Keith cashing in on Ibanez guitars-adverts in the 80s. Did he use them? winking smiley

Keith...Ibanez?
Oh nooo.....I didn't know that.

I think this shot in Guitar Player is from the same photoshoot.

This is NOT an Ibanez guitar. That one was custom made for him along with another one that had the Les Paul shape by Doug Young.
Inside the mag is an article about these guitars and pics showing Keith and Ronnie playing these in what looks like a Hotelroom.
I still have that mag at home.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-15 16:13 by Phil Good.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 15:44

mickschix

agree 100% Steven and Aerosmith are a great American band.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: May 15, 2012 20:28

WeLoveYou
Tyler and the guitarist sometimes sing into one mic. They're definately Stones clones. Didn't Mick once say of Tyler in the seventies "Who is this guy trying to be me?!!"

So Steven Tyler and Joe Perry singing into the same mic makes them "Stones clones"

okay..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 16, 2012 00:14

Okay as much as I despise AS I'd like to share a version of Rats... that's absolutely amazing...

Recorded "Sports Center, Maebashi Gumma, Japan - January 29, 1977" by the legendary Jap taper Mr Peach!

[www.partage-facile.com]

Click on "NORMAL" then click on the green icon.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 16, 2012 02:20

I didn't say he didn't LOOK like Mick in the 70's, I said their music is not Stones-like! Yup, Tyler and Perry share a microphone sometimes...so? Is this the only other band to do that? Really? Nope. Their SOUND is not like the Stones...did t hey record some of the same songs...a few, but in their own style, which is quite unique.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 16, 2012 04:17

LoL, Edith, saw that the other day on TV.

BTW, them ain't lips pasted to that face,
them's SOUP COOLERS!

Date: May 16, 2012 04:21

DandelionPowderman
mickschix

Seriously? I like early Aerosmith myself, but of course they've tried to sound like the Stones. Some songs are very similar, their appearance (especially Tyler) are VERY similar and they've done loads of covers that the Stones did first (I Ain't Got You, Walking The Dog and You Gotta Move being some of them)

holy shit the stones and aerosmith did the same generic set of blues covers

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 04:46

DandelionPowderman
mickschix

@#$%& yeah. Great. Love this original version and who cares if it's a Richie Supa tune...Joe Perry sells it.

And do y'all remember the version they did rather recently on Leno? A worthy effort for some old farts:

Tyler/Perry on Leno doing Chip Away the Stone

Perry is the highlight here, and love that Telecaster! Nice tone. Too bad YouTube won't allow this one, as this link takes forever to load.

But this is a nice crunchy "Stonesy" tune. Love it.

Date: May 16, 2012 05:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Well, maybe it is the product itself that matters. Burger King just isn't sexy.

They just figgered Steve would be slightly less creepy than The Burger King hisself.

Lulz

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 05:33

Okay, I bought some of this for a joke a couple years ago. Their marketing copy was so tongue-in-cheek that it sold me.

Burger King Cologne, for the Classy Man

"The news is that the Burger King cologne does not smell like a perfume, but the body spray for men smells like a hamburger. "Have you always wanted to smell like a hot juicy burger from Burger King? Burger King is making that dream come true without you have to rub those burgers on yourself. Burger King is attacking the fashion world with it's new men's body spray called "Flame," writes the Post Chronicle.

Bitten and Bound says "So if you’ve ever dreamed of smelling like “America’s favorite burger,” Burger King’s cologne could be just what you’ve been looking for."

Now, is that the very definition of class, or what?!? They are "making that dream come true"!!!!

Come on, people! Tyler is just having fun playing along. I give him 2.7 kudos for being fearless. Mick J. on the hand, is uber concerned with being cool. Too concerned. And too cool for school, in a way that is too conscious of "being cool" to actually be cool!

To be cool, you have to give up trying so hard. He'd never do a Burger King commercial in a million years. But yet, he'll appear on SNL with the Foo Fighters and that other flavor of the moment if he thought it would bring him "relevance" and credibility to a younger crowd. He's so far out of touch as to be in an alternate universe.

Steven Tyler, for all his goofiness, gets a pass for being unpretentious and willing to poke holes in his own reputation, confident enough to know that in the overall scheme of things, this really doesn't make any difference whatsoever to his reputation. Mick should be so self confident.

(And on SNL this week, if he's given half a chance, Jeff Beck will carry this performance...just watch...)

Date: May 16, 2012 05:53

Jeff Beck WILL be the performance.

Date: May 16, 2012 06:58

'you need a hairnet, Tyler!'

- hilarious; funny ad

Tyler's not a 'poor man's Jagger' on account of this ad; the ad is funny and Tyler has balls for doing it

as if he cares about Burger King

Aerosmith never tried to 'copy' the Stones, either; look up to the Stones, hell yeah, but 'copy?'

nope

image - wise they resembled, if anybody, the new york dolls, in their early days

musically, back then, well, Tyler wrote everything, Perry was horribly out of tune, but he looked cool. the media labeled them with the 'stones clones' thing; from the get-go they’d found their own brand of American rock ‘n’ roll; on their first record tyler tried to sound like a black dude, not Jagger, and 'Mama Kin' recycles Faces riffs, albeit sped up, not Stones riffs

but aerosmith were always a bit louder than the Stones, while the guitar team of Perry and Whitford traded off cool riffs like few other bands

by the time of 'Toys In The Attic' (a proto-punk song if ever there was one; there's nothing like it on their first two albums) they had defined themselves and its best moments still kick ass 35 years after its release

on that album, first they make more sexual references than you thought could be made in half an hour, and then they suddenly play the sensitivity-card with a ballad at the end called "You See Me Crying" and probably got away with it as well!! hilarious. completely laughable, come to think of it - but it proves AC/DC are smarter; AC/DC doesn't do ballads

Date: May 16, 2012 10:47

pinkfloydthebarber
'you need a hairnet, Tyler!'

- hilarious; funny ad

Tyler's not a 'poor man's Jagger' on account of this ad; the ad is funny and Tyler has balls for doing it

as if he cares about Burger King

Aerosmith never tried to 'copy' the Stones, either; look up to the Stones, hell yeah, but 'copy?'

nope

image - wise they resembled, if anybody, the new york dolls, in their early days

musically, back then, well, Tyler wrote everything, Perry was horribly out of tune, but he looked cool. the media labeled them with the 'stones clones' thing; from the get-go they’d found their own brand of American rock ‘n’ roll; on their first record tyler tried to sound like a black dude, not Jagger, and 'Mama Kin' recycles Faces riffs, albeit sped up, not Stones riffs

but aerosmith were always a bit louder than the Stones, while the guitar team of Perry and Whitford traded off cool riffs like few other bands

by the time of 'Toys In The Attic' (a proto-punk song if ever there was one; there's nothing like it on their first two albums) they had defined themselves and its best moments still kick ass 35 years after its release

on that album, first they make more sexual references than you thought could be made in half an hour, and then they suddenly play the sensitivity-card with a ballad at the end called "You See Me Crying" and probably got away with it as well!! hilarious. completely laughable, come to think of it - but it proves AC/DC are smarter; AC/DC doesn't do ballads

And what did Johansen and Thunders do? winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1561
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home