Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2012 17:45

superrevvy
This is the only bit of relevant information from either source (all
the rest is meaningless noise)

Teddy: "Who knows what he'll end up doing?"

Who knows? Ask Rocky Dijon. The Shadow knows!

Rocky doesn't know, he said he was speculating. Never was much of a Walter Gibson fan.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2012 17:47

rogue
I don't want to contemplate Superheavy. I thought that was all done anyway.

As far as Mick is concerned, it appears to be. But don't let reality stand in the way of a good attention grab.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2012 17:47

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
angee
Doxa, could you say more on this?: "but in the long run the cost of that instant success was an image lost to the band, and especially to himself."
How did Keith's book affect the band's image, especially, and his own?
I don't necessarily disagree, just want to know your thoughts in detail.

Since this doesn't directly to the topic of this thread, I reply to you in small size..

Well, what I have perceived or tried to 'sense the air', the negative effect can be seen in two contexts.

The first is the hardcore fanbase of the Stones - people like us here at IORR. It is amazing how much the attitude and atmosphere has changed here. Keith has always been almost beyond criticism. Even though people noticed his musical decline during the last decade or so, it was forgiven... "it is Keith, man...". Even Keith's harsh words against Jagger was usually "understood" and not taken too seriously.. "It is Keith, man..." It is actually quite hard to find any "Keith bashing" here at tall; it was beyond reasonable discourse.

But the book changed it quite drastically. What was once funny, turned out to be ugly. The systemic form of non-fact based story-telling, the repeated, childish blade-talk, belittlening the other band members, and especially Jagger('sgrinning smiley) so harshly, changed the whole idea of the man, and his role in the whole picture. He crossed some line, and people too their adoring glasses off. Suddenly he was the target of the most criticism. I think the the existence of "Keith apologists" verifies the fact very clearly. Before LIFE there was no any reason such apologists to exist at all.

The second is the public opinion. Keith's book got a lot of publicity, because he talked things people hungry for a scandal want to hear: drugs, drugs, drugs, bashing Jagger, bashing Jagger, bashing Jagger.... as a result of that stupid tiny todger remark he made him and the Stones ridiculous (which of course, is the tip of the ice berg). But the childish remark gave people a right to induce that "yeah, that's how stupid they really are". Sixtysomethings speaking of each other's dicks in public. Keith put himself there next to Ozzy Osbourne as a laughing stock. The Stones, yeah, surely are 'bad boys' but they always had in their 'bad reputation' a bit of dignity. Okay, Keith has his history of stupid remarks, but now instead of occasional drunken interview, there were no excuses, since it was based supposedly on a "serious" reflection (namely that what writing books is all about). With the book he really hurt the band. He sold the band to quick personal profits. I include all those prizes he got from the book also to the latter.

I am also awere that for some folks the book was a positive surprise of how intelligent, smart, insightful and articulate Keith Richards is. But that surprise is based on people thinking that he actually is such a brainless junkie his public image represents him to be (plus all those idiot 'snorting dad's ashes', comments). Keith seemingly sees this a sort of achievement. But he could have had charm those people of his wit without the nasty tabloid stuff as well. Pyrrhos's win, in any case.

- Doxa

During the last decade, seemingly, lots of the fans grew up to be mature, up-tight, snobs that all of a sudden didn´t understand Keith´s jargon, his guitar playing or behaviour.

Drugs, rock´n´roll and "blade-talk" got out of fashion, and only the kind-hearted and prude gentelmen who behaved so nicely back in the period 1968-1974 were appreciated.

In ten years time, we will long for the bad boy again winking smiley

I long for the bad boy now...what we have now is the buffoon...and that is where I'm having the problem. He's made the legacy a joke.

My guess is that he'll (to quote Arnold) be back...

That would indeed be welcomed.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:05

The Rolling Stones 50th anniversary tour
"sober, for the first time in 50 years"

Huge mistake if they do Miss You and JJF on SNL, IMO.

JJF is more tolerable as a closing song, and Keith can jam on that in hus sleep, but playing something new is such a better idea for song 2, or one of the extra songs from Exile or SG, but not a greatest hits medley please.

Are we really going to have Don Was on Bass, ....really? Nice guy, but he's the producer and not a Stone.

Love the idea of bringing back the boogie woogie style on keys, but not loving Fool to Cry here. In a 25 song set list, maybe, but not here.

Creatively tying music to a skit is interesting.

They need to think outside the box, they're pros at that, and no one is more on his game than Mick- this isn't the time to be conservative! People love the Stines for the imperfections, if any song is rehearsed enough, they'll kill it, unless the song is boring and old like Miss You.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:09

C'mon people...

Don't let the "leaked" rehearsed set list fool you.
Or the "leaked" personnel list.

The Rolling Stones will play more than 2 songs on SNL.
And they will @#$%& rock.

Quite worrying so much!

Date: May 7, 2012 19:12

chelskeith
The Rolling Stones 50th anniversary tour
"sober, for the first time in 50 years"

Huge mistake if they do Miss You and JJF on SNL, IMO.

JJF is more tolerable as a closing song, and Keith can jam on that in hus sleep, but playing something new is such a better idea for song 2, or one of the extra songs from Exile or SG, but not a greatest hits medley please.

Are we really going to have Don Was on Bass, ....really? Nice guy, but he's the producer and not a Stone.

Love the idea of bringing back the boogie woogie style on keys, but not loving Fool to Cry here. In a 25 song set list, maybe, but not here.

Creatively tying music to a skit is interesting.

They need to think outside the box, they're pros at that, and no one is more on his game than Mick- this isn't the time to be conservative! People love the Stines for the imperfections, if any song is rehearsed enough, they'll kill it, unless the song is boring and old like Miss You.

Who the hell are you arguing with?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:34

Fool to Cry, the ballad between two rockers?

Doxa, thanks for your response on the Keith slide. I may agree with some points,
and not others. I won't go back to debating the book now, except to say remember
the 7 million advance? Idols go down hard sometimes. Adaptations or revelations
after fifty years, likewise.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:40

flacnvinyl
Fool To Cry sucks. Is it ok for us to start b1tching about the setlist? Yes....? No....? I'll put in my two cents anyways...

- Little Queenie
- The Last Time
- We Love You

I hope not. The last Time Sucks live. Little Queenie isn't theirs and the heck would you want to hear We Love You.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:45

Well I'm not sure what's really going on...there's some "leaked" rehearsal list floating around and then semi-unofficial confirmation that the Stones will NOT play SNL and Mick will have a fill-in band take their place....?

Looking ahead at these events, none of this makes sense. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Stones to perform on SNL nor does it make any sense for Mick to perform solo either. Sure, the Stones are all in town but why waste the free hype/publicity with an SNL reunion if there are no events immediately after it to segue right into?

Eh. When it's all said and over...it will hardly matter that Mick went up there and did his thing with some other band. Mick was given a window to grab the spotlight..he'll take it either with or without the Stones.

And I love the thought of the Stones going on SNL to do "Fool To Cry."

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:52

It makes sense that they might want to rehearse to put together an SNL set, which might be watched more online than actually on SNL, to promote their eventual tour, especially if MT makes an appearance. Whether it's this fall or winter, playing this far in advance makes sense to build up the hype. It's a smart move, really. They've also got the documentary coming up, so an SNL appearance along with that will keep folks interested and ready to fork out some cash when it comes time to sell tickets. Even if the Stones don't perform on SNL, and Mick just talks about it, it would be effective marketing. My guess is Keith will at least make an appearance.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:57

superrevvy
Green Lady

These two sources are not mutually exclusive. IF these studio sessions are
SNL-related (and we have no evidence that they are) then why is it so improbable
that Mick might be negotiating with other musicians in case the "first team"
doesn't work out? And if there was never any intention for the rest of the band
to do SNL, they might still be working on something else, and Mick will still need
a backup band.

Yes, that was sort of my point, so sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Its a long time point I've been making here on IORR, that always with Stones leaks you
need to read between the lines. Because even when its not misinfo or disinfo, as either of
these leaks could easily (unintentionally) be, it still may be very misleading info.

This is what I don't get. Why would the Stones reassemble in NYC only to get together to rehearse 3 old songs if not to actually perform them somewhere? But then Teddy reveals that Mick is rounding up his own band possibly for the SNL appearance. Okay, is this not two conflicting reports? Either both are true or one of them is false---or both of them false.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that Mick is "testing" the Stones to perform and if they fail his test, he'll bring in his other band to fill in. Um..what? How does Mick Jagger actually go about bringing this idea up to Keith? He needs to bring in another band just for them to play a couple warhorses that the Stones can play in their sleep? I know they've been off the road for 5 years...but let's give them A LITTLE credit, shall we?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:58

I also recall some statement from Mick about there being some "surprises" in store for this year....???????

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:06

I don't care if they play Hold Back, Back to Zero, and Let's Work, as long as they play SOMETHING. Yes, it IS too early to bitch about set lists.

Why use Was instead of Jones??

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:25

Send It To me
Why use Was instead of Jones??

Darryl is currently on tour with the Oz Noy trio.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:34

Who's Driving Your Plane?
Jiving Sister Fanny anyone...

GOD would I LOVE to see this - with Mick Taylor!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:38

Fool to Cry - Dear God! I do not think anyone, including Mick, would allow that song to represent the RS to a new generation.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:50

my guess is..jagger will put on his peter pan act again, and it will be boring.
oh my god,now i will have some ugly posts to my post
jeroen

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:55

I will bet any amount that there is no freekin way Fool To Cry is being played. NO ONE knows that song (Stones freaks like us aside) and it sleepy and boring live. Plus it's like what 5 in half, 6 min long? That will not work on TV.

When you have two songs to play, you don't pick a long slow one deep album cut like that. It's almost as silly as thinking they will play We Love You. Don't get me started on how stupid that suggestion is.

IF they Stones play, i predict one well known song and perhaps one of the new outtakes from Exile (Plundered with MT is my dream) or Some Girls.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:56

corriecas
jeroen
As opposed to the pretty posts you post?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 7, 2012 21:59

Dana Carvey - drums
Adam Sandler - guitar
G.E. Smith - guitar
Chevy Chase - tambourine
Don Was - bass
Mick Jagger - vocals

There's your band.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 7, 2012 22:06

I plan to see this.

Date: May 7, 2012 22:12

sweetcharmedlife
corriecas
jeroen

jeroen's posts aren't ugly...they are mind-numbing.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 7, 2012 22:19

treaclefingers
sweetcharmedlife
corriecas
jeroen

jeroen's posts aren't ugly...they are mind-numbing.
I stand corrected.grinning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2012 23:20

superrevvy
TeddyB1018
Jagger has been trying to put together musicians to back him on SNL that would
suggest performing hard rock songs. He's reached out to one US band in specific
that I will not name and would not personally consider appropriate. It would
suggest he plans to play Stones songs and not covers. It will also probably not
work out schedule wise. It's nothing like Jeff Beck or Mick Taylor or anything
bluesy for those fantasizing that. Who knows what he'll end up doing when the time
comes but for all you Keith detractors, it certainly does not seem that he is loath
to offend him with it. It's a bit like something the R&R Hall of Fame might out
together is the Stones chose not to show up and they wanted to put something
commercial together in terms of a band teaming with Mick.

For what its worth, and with no disrespect to Teddy, another long-time reliable
source, on the Undercover mailing list, reports the following:

Someone sent me this yesterday....top secret....
Rehearsed in a NY studio.....Mick, Charlie, Keith, Ronnie, Chuck and Don Was
filling in on Bass for 4 songs. Miss You, Fool to Cry, Jumping Jack Flash (all
done twice) and one other one...... Oh, he said they sounded amazing.

(So I'm still listening to the voices in my head, which I already told you about)

I hope so. The source for the story I posted is a close family member, so I'd consider it pretty impeccable. She also said however that it was not likely to work out for the aforementioned schedule problems, which would involve the breaking of a very expensive contract. Maybe the Stones get together was more producti on than Mick had expected? Maybe he's moved on to plan B? Or maybe this story of them rehearsing Stones songs isn't true. We'll see May 19th.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2012 23:21

More Hot Rocks
flacnvinyl
Fool To Cry sucks. Is it ok for us to start b1tching about the setlist? Yes....? No....? I'll put in my two cents anyways...

- Little Queenie
- The Last Time
- We Love You

I hope not. The last Time Sucks live. Little Queenie isn't theirs and the heck would you want to hear We Love You.

The Last Time was FANTASTIC live in 97/98. My opinion and no one else's ofcourse. Little Queenie is great, always. There are very few things better than the Stones covering Chuck Berry tunes. We Love You is a great studio track.. I'm just joking about them playing it live, and was joking about putting my fan setlist.

Allow me to pull no punches...

- Star Star
- 'new song'
- Jump On Top Of Me

LOVE IT! And yes, Fool To Cry SUCKS. If Jagger or the Stones get up there and I hear.... 'aahh hoooooooooooooo' I'm turning it off. Would be embarrassing.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2012 23:24

lettingitbleed
I will bet any amount that there is no freekin way Fool To Cry is being played. NO ONE knows that song (Stones freaks like us aside) and it sleepy and boring live. Plus it's like what 5 in half, 6 min long? That will not work on TV.

When you have two songs to play, you don't pick a long slow one deep album cut like that. It's almost as silly as thinking they will play We Love You. Don't get me started on how stupid that suggestion is.

IF they Stones play, i predict one well known song and perhaps one of the new outtakes from Exile (Plundered with MT is my dream) or Some Girls.

I agree with you but 'stupid'? We can all agree Fool To Cry is a horrible choice, but you shouldn't resort to calling someone's preferred tracks 'stupid'. There are people on this forum who love Indian Girl. If someone suggested it, I'd say I hate the song, but wouldn't say their suggestion was 'stupid'..

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2012 23:26

superrevvy
And the Shadow says: The rehearsals were for the Stones July 12 gig.
And it is a VERY good sign that they are practicing Stones songs, and not
just blues. If it was just blues, the July 12 gig was gonna be their last.
This means the 2013 gigs are (tentatively) back on track. But Mick won't finalize
anything until late this year/early next. Until then, he's got Keith by the balls.
And Keith and y'all are just gonna have to at least tolerate Mick's pick-up
band on May 19. So for the same reason, it is now way more likely that Mick will
rock on SNL and not do blues, and use less famous less awesome musicians.
Mick will be fine but his rock band will be no match for the Stones, whereas
his blues band would have slayed the Stones. You won't get the Stones
on SNL but you won't get anything that damages them either. Unless Keith
majorly fcuks up over the next week or so, which I now think is very unlikely.

Is this my most blue-sky forecast ever?

No, but it is interesting speculation. The band he contacted is famous, but they are a band and not an amalgamation of blues supermen. The idea that Keith (and us) will have to tolerate it might be on target. My manager, who has been friendly with both the Mick and Keith camps (at separate times of course -- can't be both) argues that Mick has earned the right to be a "dick."

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 7, 2012 23:30

lettingitbleed

I wouldn't consider a Top 10 hit on both sides of the Atlantic a deep album cut that being said I'm no huge fan of the song and find it an odd choice for a potential TV appearance.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 8, 2012 00:30

What is that July 12 gig everyone is mentioning?

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: May 8, 2012 00:33

GumbootCloggeroo
Dana Carvey - drums
Adam Sandler - guitar
G.E. Smith - guitar
Chevy Chase - tambourine
Don Was - bass
Mick Jagger - vocals

There's your band.

And special guest Will Ferrell on cowbell....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home