Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2012 09:15

Hairball
Possible scenario:

During Micks opening monologue, he fields a couple of questions from the audience.
Camera zero's in on an audience member, and it's Keith!

Keith: Have you read my book Life?
Mick has no comment and glares back menacingly, then says "next question please".

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Ronnie!

Ronnie: Is it true about the todger?
Again, Mick has no comment and glares back menacingly, then says "next question please".

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Charlie!

Charlie (with a disgusted look on his face): Let's Work?
And once again, Mick has no comment and glares back menacingly, then says "next question please".

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Mick Taylor!

Mick T: Is it true your looking for another guitar player?
Mick: Your hired!

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Bill Wyman!

Bill: Is it true your looking for a new bass player?

And after thunderous applause, the above mentioned "audience members" join Mick on stage for a 50th anniversary tour announcement,
followed by a ROCKING version of It's Only Rock and Roll, and then the debut of a brand new tune!

That is absolutely inspired hairball!

Date: May 7, 2012 10:14

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
angee
Doxa, could you say more on this?: "but in the long run the cost of that instant success was an image lost to the band, and especially to himself."
How did Keith's book affect the band's image, especially, and his own?
I don't necessarily disagree, just want to know your thoughts in detail.

Since this doesn't directly to the topic of this thread, I reply to you in small size..

Well, what I have perceived or tried to 'sense the air', the negative effect can be seen in two contexts.

The first is the hardcore fanbase of the Stones - people like us here at IORR. It is amazing how much the attitude and atmosphere has changed here. Keith has always been almost beyond criticism. Even though people noticed his musical decline during the last decade or so, it was forgiven... "it is Keith, man...". Even Keith's harsh words against Jagger was usually "understood" and not taken too seriously.. "It is Keith, man..." It is actually quite hard to find any "Keith bashing" here at tall; it was beyond reasonable discourse.

But the book changed it quite drastically. What was once funny, turned out to be ugly. The systemic form of non-fact based story-telling, the repeated, childish blade-talk, belittlening the other band members, and especially Jagger('sgrinning smiley) so harshly, changed the whole idea of the man, and his role in the whole picture. He crossed some line, and people too their adoring glasses off. Suddenly he was the target of the most criticism. I think the the existence of "Keith apologists" verifies the fact very clearly. Before LIFE there was no any reason such apologists to exist at all.

The second is the public opinion. Keith's book got a lot of publicity, because he talked things people hungry for a scandal want to hear: drugs, drugs, drugs, bashing Jagger, bashing Jagger, bashing Jagger.... as a result of that stupid tiny todger remark he made him and the Stones ridiculous (which of course, is the tip of the ice berg). But the childish remark gave people a right to induce that "yeah, that's how stupid they really are". Sixtysomethings speaking of each other's dicks in public. Keith put himself there next to Ozzy Osbourne as a laughing stock. The Stones, yeah, surely are 'bad boys' but they always had in their 'bad reputation' a bit of dignity. Okay, Keith has his history of stupid remarks, but now instead of occasional drunken interview, there were no excuses, since it was based supposedly on a "serious" reflection (namely that what writing books is all about). With the book he really hurt the band. He sold the band to quick personal profits. I include all those prizes he got from the book also to the latter.

I am also awere that for some folks the book was a positive surprise of how intelligent, smart, insightful and articulate Keith Richards is. But that surprise is based on people thinking that he actually is such a brainless junkie his public image represents him to be (plus all those idiot 'snorting dad's ashes', comments). Keith seemingly sees this a sort of achievement. But he could have had charm those people of his wit without the nasty tabloid stuff as well. Pyrrhos's win, in any case.

- Doxa

During the last decade, seemingly, lots of the fans grew up to be mature, up-tight, snobs that all of a sudden didn´t understand Keith´s jargon, his guitar playing or behaviour.

Drugs, rock´n´roll and "blade-talk" got out of fashion, and only the kind-hearted and prude gentelmen who behaved so nicely back in the period 1968-1974 were appreciated.

In ten years time, we will long for the bad boy again winking smiley

I long for the bad boy now...what we have now is the buffoon...and that is where I'm having the problem. He's made the legacy a joke.

My guess is that he'll (to quote Arnold) be back...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2012 12:18

Jagger has been trying to put together musicians to back him on SNL that would suggest performing hard rock songs. He's reached out to one US band in specific that I will not name and would not personally consider appropriate. It would suggest he plans to play Stones songs and not covers. It will also probably not work out schedule wise. It's nothing like Jeff Beck or Mick Taylor or anything bluesy for those fantasizing that. Who knows what he'll end up doing when the time comes but for all you Keith detractors, it certainly does not seem that he is loath to offend him with it. It's a bit like something the R&R Hall of Fame might out together is the Stones chose not to show up and they wanted to put something commercial together in terms of a band teaming with Mick.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 7, 2012 12:46

TeddyB1018
Jagger has been trying to put together musicians to back him on SNL that would
suggest performing hard rock songs. He's reached out to one US band in specific
that I will not name and would not personally consider appropriate. It would
suggest he plans to play Stones songs and not covers. It will also probably not
work out schedule wise. It's nothing like Jeff Beck or Mick Taylor or anything
bluesy for those fantasizing that. Who knows what he'll end up doing when the time
comes but for all you Keith detractors, it certainly does not seem that he is loath
to offend him with it. It's a bit like something the R&R Hall of Fame might out
together is the Stones chose not to show up and they wanted to put something
commercial together in terms of a band teaming with Mick.

For what its worth, and with no disrespect to Teddy, another long-time reliable
source, on the Undercover mailing list, reports the following:

Someone sent me this yesterday....top secret....
Rehearsed in a NY studio.....Mick, Charlie, Keith, Ronnie, Chuck and Don Was
filling in on Bass for 4 songs. Miss You, Fool to Cry, Jumping Jack Flash (all
done twice) and one other one...... Oh, he said they sounded amazing.

(So I'm still listening to the voices in my head, which I already told you about)

Date: May 7, 2012 12:48

superrevvy
TeddyB1018
bluesy for those fantasizing that. Who knows what he'll end up doing when the time
comes but for all you Keith detractors, it certainly does not seem that he is loath

(So I'm still listening to the voices in my head, which I already told you about)

Somebody already wrote this here, but he mentioned one more song, which one was it again?

Date: May 7, 2012 12:52

No, it were only those three songs:

Re: The stones are in NYC
Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: May 7, 2012 00:34

They rehearses: Fool to Cry, JJF and Miss You. Don Was on bass. Chuck on keyboards.

To be continued....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 7, 2012 12:56

No, not Miss You again, please !!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 7, 2012 13:25

superrevvy
TeddyB1018

These two sources are not mutually exclusive. IF these studio sessions are SNL-related (and we have no evidence that they are) then why is it so improbable that Mick might be negotiating with other musicians in case the "first team" doesn't work out? And if there was never any intention for the rest of the band to do SNL, they might still be working on something else, and Mick will still need a backup band.

The only scenario where the presence of the full band on SNL is essential is if there is a big announcement being made. Would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Date: May 7, 2012 13:34

Green Lady

These two sources are not mutually exclusive. IF these studio sessions are
SNL-related (and we have no evidence that they are) then why is it so improbable
that Mick might be negotiating with other musicians in case the "first team"
doesn't work out? And if there was never any intention for the rest of the band
to do SNL, they might still be working on something else, and Mick will still need
a backup band.

Yes, that was sort of my point, so sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Its a long time point I've been making here on IORR, that always with Stones leaks you
need to read between the lines. Because even when its not misinfo or disinfo, as either of
these leaks could easily (unintentionally) be, it still may be very misleading info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 13:36 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2012 14:11

Damn that "Fool to Cry" with the mentioned line-up sounds such a teaser...

That Rolling Stones fan blood of mine starts to run so hot... Trying to hold my horses, but... (My brains try to say: no, it is rubbish, or it is unlikely, or if if does happen, it will be total crap...)

I need a drink.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 14:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2012 14:13

Cant wait, would love to see The Stones play

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 17:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 7, 2012 14:17

Doxa

That Rolling Stones fan blood of mine starts to run so hot... Trying to hold my horses, but... (My brains try to say: no, it is rubbish, or it is unlikely, or if if does happen, it will be total crap...)

I need a drink.

- Doxa

It's interesting that they start with songs that require little, or not very complex (JJF) guitar playing...

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 7, 2012 15:41

OK, I've stated something similar on IORR before last week but perhaps it should be revisited.

SNL musical guests usually do two songs that are broadcast live.

Mick is the host and musical performer. That we know as a fact.

If the first song is done by the Stones the jig is up and the rest of the show ain't worth watching cause then we'll just want more Stnnes

I can even see Lorne backstage offering Mick more money after the first song if he can get the boys to join him for the second song(insert joke where Charlie steps in and says he's my fu@#$ing singer and I'll do the negotiating).

However, what if Mick is auditioning other muscians for the first song.
Then we are all still waiting until the second song which happens after midnight.

If the Stones are rehearsing the songs that are listed in the information from the Undercover sit source this jives with the Some Girls era rehearsal list from London which would also promote the boots and outtakes releases on Universal.

Also, maybe Don is just sitting in on bass until the boat arrives with Bill.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 7, 2012 15:54

Doxa

I need a drink.

- Doxa

I Will join you now Doxa, with a beer or 2.i just hope he does not play Missyou.
i doubt the other Stones will join, but maybe after a drink or 2, i can change my mind.
jeroen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2012 16:11

TeddyB1018
Jagger has been trying to put together musicians to back him on SNL that would suggest performing hard rock songs. He's reached out to one US band in specific that I will not name and would not personally consider appropriate. It would suggest he plans to play Stones songs and not covers. It will also probably not work out schedule wise. It's nothing like Jeff Beck or Mick Taylor or anything bluesy for those fantasizing that. Who knows what he'll end up doing when the time comes but for all you Keith detractors, it certainly does not seem that he is loath to offend him with it. It's a bit like something the R&R Hall of Fame might out together is the Stones chose not to show up and they wanted to put something commercial together in terms of a band teaming with Mick.

Given the reliability of what Teddy reports and presuming the Stones rehearsal leak is valid (based on the source, it would appear to be credible), there is another possibility than just the other band being a back-up plan if Keith can't cut it that night. It is also possible that the leak about the other hard rock band Teddy considers inappropriate for Stones songs who are not likely to come through with scheduling (one presumes they are currently touring) is that they are just a smoke screen to try to preserve the surprise of a Stones appearance. This could also be why Ronnie was supposed to have kept his mouth shut regarding rehearsals.

This bit of speculation on my part is particularly rose-colored and suggests that Keith's playing is consistent and there are no concerns about the band not delivering the goods. That said, you must admit "Fool to Cry" is an oddball choice for a big comeback appearance.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2012 16:38

Fool To Cry sucks. Is it ok for us to start b1tching about the setlist? Yes....? No....? I'll put in my two cents anyways...

- Little Queenie
- The Last Time
- We Love You

Date: May 7, 2012 16:39

Rocky Dijon
TeddyB1018

Given the reliability of what Teddy reports and presuming the Stones rehearsal leak is valid (based on the source, it would appear to be credible), there is another possibility than just the other band being a back-up plan if Keith can't cut it that night. It is also possible that the leak about the other hard rock band Teddy considers inappropriate for Stones songs who are not likely to come through with scheduling (one presumes they are currently touring) is that they are just a smoke screen to try to preserve the surprise of a Stones appearance. This could also be why Ronnie was supposed to have kept his mouth shut regarding rehearsals.

This bit of speculation on my part is particularly rose-colored and suggests that Keith's playing is consistent and there are no concerns about the band not delivering the goods. That said, you must admit "Fool to Cry" is an oddball choice for a big comeback appearance.

Might be he wanted to try out two "falsetto-numbers", just to pick one of them for the show?

Date: May 7, 2012 16:44

This is the only bit of relevant information from either source (all
the rest is meaningless noise)

Teddy: "Who knows what he'll end up doing?"

Who knows? Ask Rocky Dijon. The Shadow knows!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 7, 2012 16:45

rogue
I've seen bands play 3 songs before. I think U2 did that. Their third tune was performed during the closing credits, if memory serves me right.

Date: May 7, 2012 16:46

Green Lady
superrevvy
TeddyB1018

These two sources are not mutually exclusive. IF these studio sessions are SNL-related (and we have no evidence that they are) then why is it so improbable that Mick might be negotiating with other musicians in case the "first team" doesn't work out? And if there was never any intention for the rest of the band to do SNL, they might still be working on something else, and Mick will still need a backup band.

The only scenario where the presence of the full band on SNL is essential is if there is a big announcement being made. Would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

I for one have decided to hold my breath

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 7, 2012 16:47

treaclefingers
Hairball
Possible scenario:

During Micks opening monologue, he fields a couple of questions from the audience.
Camera zero's in on an audience member, and it's Keith!

Keith: Have you read my book Life?
Mick has no comment and glares back menacingly, then says "next question please".

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Ronnie!

Ronnie: Is it true about the todger?
Again, Mick has no comment and glares back menacingly, then says "next question please".

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Charlie!

Charlie (with a disgusted look on his face): Let's Work?
And once again, Mick has no comment and glares back menacingly, then says "next question please".

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Mick Taylor!

Mick T: Is it true your looking for another guitar player?

Camera zero's in on another audience member, and it's Bill Wyman!

Bill: Is it true your looking for a new bass player?

And after thunderous applause, the above mentioned "audience members" join Mick on stage for a 50th anniversary tour announcement,
followed by a ROCKING version of It's Only Rock and Roll, and then the debut of a brand new tune!

That is absolutely inspired hairball!
That sounds like a neat monologue, but unfortunately the majority of SNL's audience won't know who Bill or Mick T. are, I believe. Therefore the jokes wouldn't work.

Date: May 7, 2012 16:48

Rocky Dijon
TeddyB1018

Maybe, in an homage to their past, the plan is for Keith to fall asleep during that number?

Date: May 7, 2012 17:11

And the Shadow says: The rehearsals were for the Stones July 12 gig.
And it is a VERY good sign that they are practicing Stones songs, and not
just blues. If it was just blues, the July 12 gig was gonna be their last.
This means the 2013 gigs are (tentatively) back on track. But Mick won't finalize
anything until late this year/early next. Until then, he's got Keith by the balls.
And Keith and y'all are just gonna have to at least tolerate Mick's pick-up
band on May 19. So for the same reason, it is now way more likely that Mick will
rock on SNL and not do blues, and use less famous less awesome musicians.
Mick will be fine but his rock band will be no match for the Stones, whereas
his blues band would have slayed the Stones. You won't get the Stones
on SNL but you won't get anything that damages them either. Unless Keith
majorly fcuks up over the next week or so, which I now think is very unlikely.

Is this my most blue-sky forecast ever?

Date: May 7, 2012 17:16

GumbootCloggeroo
rogue
I've seen bands play 3 songs before. I think U2 did that. Their third tune was performed during the closing credits, if memory serves me right.

So did the Stones...

Date: May 7, 2012 17:18

superrevvy
And the Shadow says: The rehearsals were for the Stones July 12 gig.
And it is a VERY good sign that they are practicing Stones songs, and not
just blues. If it was just blues, the July 12 gig was gonna be their last.
This means the 2013 gigs are (tentatively) back on track. But Mick won't finalize
anything until late this year/early next. Until then, he's got Keith by the balls.
And Keith and y'all are just gonna have to at least tolerate Mick's pick-up
band on May 19. So for the same reason, it is now way more likely that Mick will
rock on SNL and not do blues, and use less famous less awesome musicians.
Mick will be fine but his rock band will be no match for the Stones, whereas
his blues band would have slayed the Stones. You won't get the Stones
on SNL but you won't get anything that damages them either. Unless Keith
majorly fcuks up over the next week or so, which I now think is very unlikely.

Is this my most blue-sky forecast ever?

Almost as good as the "Two Trains"-prediction back in the day...

Date: May 7, 2012 17:24

DandelionPowderman
Almost as good as the "Two Trains"-prediction back in the day...

yeah, well, as i said back then, it all was dependent on Keith immediately
sobering up and buckling down, which did not happen. just like 2013 is
now dependent on the very same thing. but now thank god it does seem to
be happening. still there's many a slip between the cup and the lip and
nothing is certain until jagger says it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 17:26 by superrevvy.

Date: May 7, 2012 17:26

OK, OK, the number of total songs does not matter my point was that if the Stones appear it probbaly won't be for the whole show unless they allude to it during the show or promos or just announce it.

I am really beginning to think that if the Stones play it might be a mixture of band members on multiple tunes. Mick Taylor is in town anyway. Why not have him on for a song. And what is with moving to NJ?

Date: May 7, 2012 17:28

and tolerating the may 19 pickup band is small potatoes. tolerating
superheavy later this year, that'll be the real test.

Date: May 7, 2012 17:33

I don't want to contemplate Superheavy. I thought that was all done anyway.

I hope the Stones play on SNL and I hope it is just them without Blondie & Co.

If Don Was has to play bass, fine, but surely Bill can get into town somehow.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2012 17:36

I just don't get it... What is the POINT of Jagger playing a solo gig? Why? Does he have a new album/movie/tour to promote? You can't celebrate the Stones 50th with a solo tour.. Usually bands/hosts have something new to play/promote. Is Jagger going to just get up there and say 'Hey, I'm Mick Jagger!' and do the gig? Nothing to sell to us except SuperHeavy? Am I missing something here?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home