Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 5, 2012 16:11

To ease the tension a bit before some go bananas: Remember, Jagger's voice is beyond repair and we have had numerous threads here arguing whether Keith still can play or not. So, hold your horses...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 5, 2012 16:13

Stoneage
hold your horses...

nah....
1) Today is Derby Day..
2).....

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 5, 2012 16:24

The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 5, 2012 16:29

Stoneage
To ease the tension a bit before some go bananas: Remember, Jagger's voice is beyond repair....

what he does recently is sing in an affectation a lot of people don't like....that is so far away from his voice being beyond repair......very far

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 5, 2012 16:40

Stoneage
To ease the tension a bit before some go bananas: Remember, Jagger's voice is beyond repair and we have had numerous threads here arguing whether Keith still can play or not. So, hold your horses...

I don't think Jagger's voice sounds any different than it has since the 80's. Ronnie Wood has been on fire of late. Charlie is always going to be solid. Bill Wyman can still get it done and if isn't Bill on bass Darryl Jones is world class...The only member of the band I have any questions about is Keith Richards.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 5, 2012 17:04

James Kirk
Stoneage

I don't think Jagger's voice sounds any different than it has since the 80's. Ronnie Wood has been on fire of late. Charlie is always going to be solid. Bill Wyman can still get it done and if isn't Bill on bass Darryl Jones is world class...The only member of the band I have any questions about is Keith Richards.

...and Blondie has been on fire of late.

Date: May 5, 2012 17:11

Doxa
This exciting Stones year continues... never guess what are the breaking news of next week, or so...thumbs up

Yeah, take one plus one plus one, and...

But I hold my horses. A quick look to recent history does not see any problem Jagger performing 'just' solo. Doing two songs with U2, the Solomon Burke tribute, and then the Obama's blues set. He could make some sort of one/two song performance based on those or similar concepts. Not a big deal for him.

The only big 'but' being the Anniversary... it is no longer homage to Burke or blues or making a random cameo, but just 'being Mick' and everybody knows the hype over Stones Anniversary, the rumours about recordings, reherasals and tours are spreading like flies... it would take quite a lotta nerve to just perform solo when knowing all the stuff going on around him and, especially, them. But then, Mick could be so cool guy that he might even do that. But if he does that, and keeps Stones totally out of picture, that might sound almost a statement. Or not... hmm... let see what happens; we really live interesting times.

But all I can say that if the rumours about Jagger being a control freak, and having an extreme appetite for power, hold any true, man, he is having a field day these days.. I can only guess what kind of kicks the guy might have for knowing how much his actions are followed and his intentions guessed... Even Keith sounds like a pussy cat in public nowadays - he probaly used his last power card by releasing 'tell it all' book, but that is used now, and by some cheap shots he got a lot of publicity but in the long run the cost of that instant success was an image lost to the band, and especially to himself. And the book surely didn't help strengthen Keith's position within the band, or better his cards in negotations for an "reunion"... by contrary, he sounds so soft lately that one wonders where he suddenly lost his balls. Ronnie just got a public humilation... Tough guy that Brenda; "She's the boss" indeed.. grinning smiley

- Doxa

While acknowledging it took you THREE edits to get it right, still, a spot on brilliant post Doxa, thank you.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 5, 2012 17:26

Rolling Hansie
superrevvy
NBC is really a problem when you are overseas.

Thanks for your answer. It's very clear.

Also it looks like you may be able to purchase the show on itunes for 2.99

[itunes.apple.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 5, 2012 17:29

To soften my critisism regarding Jagger's voice. One thing I noticed during the White House gig was that his voice was less unbearable (maybe even pleasant...) when he stood still singing. To spare his voice he really needs to cut down on the prancing I think. And, remember, that would also be to Keith's delight.

Date: May 5, 2012 17:32

Rolling Hansie
Is there a way to watch SNL live on the internet ?
There is no way for me to watch it on Dutch TV.

you have mail.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 5, 2012 17:43

Thanks Max smileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 5, 2012 17:54

Rolling Hansie
Thanks Max smileys with beer

You're the best fan out here Hans, Jagger should pull some
strings to make sure this gets beamed into your living room live. period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-05 17:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 5, 2012 18:28

Ladies and gentleman, tonight's host, MICK JAGGER

*cheers and howls*

Thank you, thank you, that's very kind...

*he blows a little blues on the harp*

I'm very proud to say that this is the fifth different decade I've appeared on SNL...

*more cheers*

*blows a bit more, a bass guitar begins to quietly pulse*

Yeah that's nice, but my band, who can't be here tonite, The Rolling Stones, we're now doing our sixth decade!

*mixture of groans and cheers, more bluesy music from off to the side of Mick*

But don't worry, don't worry, the Stones are gonna be doing a special show soon. That you'll all be able to watch live.

*more cheers, more music*

We'll get that news out to you next week. Keith is also busy finishing up some new Stones tracks, so its all good!

*hard cheering, Mick blows more emphatically*

But Keith gave me the night off, y'know, so I thought I'd come over here and provide some entertainment...

*laughter and cheers*

So I thought I'd try and put together a little band and play some blues for you all

*more hard cheers, more harp blowing, more blues as the band starts to fire up*

May I present to you, for one night only, The Mick Jagger Blues All-Stars!

*the band launches hard into "King Bee". Buddy Guy, Orianthi, Booker T, Dr. John, Daryl Jones, and the big
drummer guy from the White House*

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 5, 2012 19:09

if the RS's don't perform with Mick on SNL this month after they all are already in NYC, that will pretty much 1) suck 2) prove that any subsequent RS tour is nothing but a cash-cow charade, with no real band connectedness or mojo, which has been the case for a while anyway 3) will be yet another uncomfortable, affected-singing, finger-pointing musical non-event.

I'm sorry but I'm thinking that is exactly what will happen = no RS's. But if I am wrong, GOOD TIMES!! (one can hope...)

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 5, 2012 19:48

Doxa, could you say more on this?: "but in the long run the cost of that instant success was an image lost to the band, and especially to himself."
How did Keith's book affect the band's image, especially, and his own?
I don't necessarily disagree, just want to know your thoughts in detail.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 5, 2012 19:50

Also, if Mick does perform as well as host, I'm thinking maybe Jeff Beck is in the back-up band, if he's not touring.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: May 5, 2012 21:00

James Kirk
I'm 90% convinced that this is going to be nothing short of a showcase/kickoff of the Rolling Stones 50th Anniversary and the Stones will kick it off in grand style with a live surprise appearance on SNL that will have the media buzzing for days.

Look at the facts

- All of the Rolling Stones are in in NYC
- The Rolling Stones are recording/jamming in a studio in NY as I type.
- SNL is obviously shot in NYC
- Mick Jagger has no solo work to promote, but will be performing. There is no other musical guest booked that week.
- The Stones record company is owned by NBC where SNL airs.
- This is the season ending show for SNL. They would like to end the year with a bang as well as enjoy all the publicity a Rolling Stones surprise appearance would deliver.
- Besides being friends with Jagger SNL creator Lorne Michaels is a huge fan of the classic bands...Don't forget it was Micheals who nearly got John Lennon and Paul McCartney to show up and play in the mid 70's with his now legendary $500 offer (or whatever it was) for the Beatles to reunite on SNL. If he had gotten John and Paul to show up that night rock history would most likely be very different today. Michaels aims high. He came the closest to actually delivering a Beatles reunion...I'm convinced that the idea of having the Rolling Stones on his season ending show at the very least has crossed his mind.
- Something is brewing with the Stones. They are currently playing together and rumors of some type of tour are everywhere even in the mainstream media.

Beyond that what is the alternative? Will Jagger play solo tunes with a one off band? Will he play classic Stones songs with another band? How lame would that be.

I could very well be wrong, but all signs are pointing towards the Rolling Stones showing up and playing 3 or 4 songs in what would essentially be the kickoff of their media machine for their their 50th Anniversary.

My prediction for May 19th goes something like this...Ladies and Gentlemen..."Live from New York...The Rolling Stones"

In addition to your list JK, the mid-May timing would be perfect, if the Stones intend to make a grand entrance into the season of celebrating their July anniversary. I don't envision them letting July come along in a whimper.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 5, 2012 21:43

I HOPE Mick performs w/ the Stones, including MT. But if he HAS to perform with anybody else, my hope would be with Joss Stone.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 5, 2012 21:50

Rip This
Stoneage
To ease the tension a bit before some go bananas: Remember, Jagger's voice is beyond repair....

what he does recently is sing in an affectation a lot of people don't like....that is so far away from his voice being beyond repair......very far
Maybe he can go back to his lower (rather than whiney,nasaley) affectation that is more pleasing to the ear!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 5, 2012 23:07

superrevvy
TeddyB1018
tatters
You have to ask yourself .... What would give Lorne Michaels the bigger hard on? Would it be to have the Rolling Stones perform on his show for the first time in 34 years? Or would it be something pathetic and lame, like having Macca show up, so that Mick and Paul, and maybe a couple SNL "legends" like Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin can appear together in some painfully awkward skit. I pray that I'm wrong, but I really think the second possibility is far more likely.

You may well be right.

Tatters may be right about what happens (though I doubt it, because Mick will be
shooting for excellence) but no way is Tatters right about what would give Lorne
Michaels a bigger hardon. But (sadly) business is business, and the Stones are
not really a big part of Universal's future plans, whereas Jagger is.

(In my superheavy opinion)

No, actually I think tatters is pretty right about Lorne. Mick is one of Lorne's people, along with Paul Mac and Paul Simon and Steve and Alec and Hanks and Timberlake. If Mick and Paul McCartney performed together I think Lorne would be more excited by that than Keith showing.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 5, 2012 23:49

The post from TeddyB is making me nervous. Think I'll just go to bed on the 19th expecting NOTHING of the Stones on SNL. Then, if I'm pleasantly surprised, good. But if I sit there watching SNL, waiting and anticipating and getting no Stones....I'll be shattered.

There's no way I'm giving up a good night's sleep for Mick and Macca, Mick and Timberlake, Mick and Joe Schmoe.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 5, 2012 23:53

Teddy...you're right about Lorne's posse...but you aren't right about Keith and the rest of the band showing...Lorne Michaels is every bit the competitor and king maker he positions himself to be/is...nothing would excite him more or give his show even more iconic status (if that's possible) than to have a Rolling Stone host and the Rolling Stones perform with or without "guest(s)"...i.e. Bill or gasp.....Mick Taylor and end another season...there's your narrative for an endless stream of reruns and $$$$ residuals on cable channels for another decade.

Date: May 5, 2012 23:53

Cocaine Eyes
The post from TeddyB is making me nervous. Think I'll just go to bed on the 19th expecting NOTHING of the Stones on SNL. Then, if I'm pleasantly surprised, good. But if I sit there watching SNL, waiting and anticipating and getting no Stones....I'll be shattered.

There's no way I'm giving up a good night's sleep for Mick and Macca, Mick and Timberlake, Mick and Joe Schmoe.

That Senor Cocaine, is not the Canadian spirit!

Date: May 6, 2012 00:16

riverrat
Rip This
Stoneage

Maybe he can go back to his lower (rather than whiney,nasaley) affectation that is more pleasing to the ear!

He did that on lots of songs on the SG deLuxe-songs. Much less mannered and nasal, imo.

Date: May 6, 2012 01:37

Something is up. That's obvious. You don't just have Mick Jagger do the last show of the season because he's in town.

Date: May 6, 2012 01:44

Rip This
Teddy...you're right about Lorne's posse...but you aren't right about Keith and the rest of the band showing...Lorne Michaels is every bit the competitor and king maker he positions himself to be/is...nothing would excite him more or give his show even more iconic status (if that's possible) than to have a Rolling Stone host and the Rolling Stones perform with or without "guest(s)"...i.e. Bill or gasp.....Mick Taylor and end another season...there's your narrative for an endless stream of reruns and $$$$ residuals on cable channels for another decade.

Who knows what will actually happen, if anything, but your idea is more than plausible.

The only one of them that isn't in New York right now (that we're aware of) is Bill.

They probably have him sequestered in a hotel room in the Plaza or something.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 6, 2012 04:07

treaclefingers
Cocaine Eyes

That Senor Cocaine, is not the Canadian spirit!

True! However, it's MADAME Cocaine, FYI.tongue sticking out smiley So I suppose Madame Cocaine will learn to accept Mick and Joe Schmoe. It's better than being shattered.....uh-huh.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 6, 2012 04:10

Maybe Mick will get to play the teacher in the "Gilly" skit.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 6, 2012 05:05

DandelionPowderman
riverrat
Rip This
Stoneage

He did that on lots of songs on the SG deLuxe-songs. Much less mannered and nasal, imo.

Agree completely, DP.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 6, 2012 05:54

71Tele
I can tell you this: If after all the excitement and speculation of all the Stones (plus Mick Taylor) being in town, playing together, etc. it turns out that Mick just performs solo on SNL, it will be the world's biggest boner-killer.

Totally agree. It would also kill the Stones off once and for all. When my local NBC station ran a story on Jagger hosting they mentioned it was the 50th. Ann of the band. I think they are slowly giving hints that they will play. But they have to get MT and Wymann for the real coup.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home