Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 59
Mick Jagger hosting and performing on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:07

Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger has been set to host the season finale of Saturday Night Live.

Jagger's appearance will mark the rocker's first time leading the late-night NBC comedy show and will be his third time as the musical guest.

Last December, during Jimmy Fallon's SNL episode, Jagger made a cameo in one of the skits as Fallon's reflection.

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning and Rihanna are set for May 5, while Will Ferrell returns to his old stomping grounds the following week with musical guest Usher.

The SNL finale is slated to air May 19 on NBC.

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

UPDATE:

For reports from SNL please jump directly into page 37 of this thread:
[www.iorr.org]

or see the IORR NEWS update for more links:
[iorr.org]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-30 07:35 by bv.

Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19.
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:08

What exactly is Mick going to be performing on SNL? And with whom? SuperHeavy? They usually give the music guests 2 slots...3 if they're a huge name (during the closing credits). Is he rounding up an impromptu band to back him up? Seems a bit weird when his "other" band is already in town...

Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19.
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:17

Huh? This is the most out-of-left-field event this whole crazy year.

Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:25

Whoa.... speechless

Thank you for the information super

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:31

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:36

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:39

WOW! Way cool! Strange it's not the Stones preforming...particuarly since MJ has no solo tunes that are even remotely new.

Perhaps a solo band will so a Some Girls outtake? Strange.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:51

Mick did the sketch with Fallon last December? News to m. I'm fairly certain it was 11 years ago.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:54

Maybe there will be a pleasant surprise of some very special guests. Maybe that is what the reharsals in Ny are about. Maybe....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:04

lettingitbleed
WOW! Way cool! Strange it's not the Stones preforming...particuarly since MJ has no solo tunes that are even remotely new.

Perhaps a solo band will so a Some Girls outtake? Strange.

He can play whatever he wants. Many artists over the years have played stuff other than their 'current' hit.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:06

71Tele
Maybe there will be a pleasant surprise of some very special guests. Maybe that is what the reharsals in Ny are about. Maybe....

One part of my brain thinks that Tele may be on to something...

Another part thinks why not advertise the whole band if this is the case. I guess the more we think we know about the Stones marketing machine, the more we realize that we really don't know what they're thinking or doing.

Certainly "Team Jagger" wouldn't want Mick's solo spot overshadowed by "The Stones".

At the same time, wouldn't you expect the media to have a field day with "Jagger leaves Keith, Charlie & Ronnie home for spot on SNL?" type headlines?

Also, would "Team Stones" really want Keith, Charlie & Ronnie showing up as "Mick's Special Guests". Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones to become official?

Confusing... I've got to get the voices in my head to quit arguing & shut up!

Peace,
Mr DJA, et al

Date: May 3, 2012 21:13

I wonder how many distinctly different theories/scenarios can/will be imagined for Mick hosting SNL, before showtime on the 19th?

Date: May 3, 2012 21:17

Unless, Mick uses the SNL band to back him up...I foresee him up there with 1) his usual Matt Clifford led solo band...or 2) actually up there with the Stones. No way, would sparks not fly if Mick excused himself from band rehearsals only to go rehease with ANOTHER band. It honestly might start another mini Mick/Keith blowup ala the 80's (almost the same scenario, even).

And what he's going to play when he gets up there? If he does one or two Stones songs---well you might as well have the Stones up there to do it with him. They are probably way out of practice but honeslty...how much rehearsals for "Start Me Up" or "Brown Sugar"? A couple run-throughs and they got it. Head over to 30 Rock...film it and done.

But the question really is...WHY would they all perform? What's the benefit? Well, a small part of me wants to flirt with the idea:

It's May.
They're all in New York.
They're rehearsing.
There's a high-profile opportunity to make a huge bang

It smells like a tour announcement. Could it be a tour announcement on SNL? It probably isn't...but honestly....why bother performing on SNL if there's nothing happened after it? It gives the wrong impression. It reminds me of The Who doing the Superbowl Halftime...their biggest fumble was that they didn't follow up the high profile gig with a tour...or any events. It left people high and dry and totally wasted that momentum.

To me, it all adds up to mean something. But logistically...it just doesn't fit....

Date: May 3, 2012 21:20

Max'sKansasCity
I wonder how many distinctly different theories/scenarios can/will be imagined for Mick hosting SNL, before showtime on the 19th?

That is 8 so far winking smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:25

OK, the only thing missing is a manner of transportation!

1. Yes, it's May. (check)

2. Yes, it's in NYC. (check)

3. Yes, Mick will be speaking. (check)

So, throw in a Harley-Davidson and we're rolling. (They've not done mororcycles yet as an 'announcement' vehicle.)

smoking smiley

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:25

I'll take a stab. Not the Stones. Not SuperHeavy. An all-star blues band.

Date: May 3, 2012 21:33

He certainly could play some old solo songs, but it just seems weird. Tyically, hosts and musical guests come on to promote thier current project. What's Mick got to promote currently??

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:39

superrevvy
Yeah,maybe a lot of the same guys who were at the White House gig. Still starnge with all the Stones in town.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:41

Maybe he's not going to do any music at all, just do comedy skits. But it would be great if The Stones did play. Even though they already did it once, it seems like a throwback at trying to get The Beatles to reunite on SNL back in the 70s.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:44

71Tele

My exact first thought, sir. I'd be willing to bet that week's paycheck there will be SOMETHING Stones-related. He'll either perform Stones tunes w/a solo group, he'll do one w/Keith joining in or we'll get the full band.

As has been said, they're supposedly playing together this week (in NY, no less), Mick has no new solo work to promote.

Ha, this is the first time I have looked forward to an episode of SNL in years.

Date: May 3, 2012 21:46

sweetcharmedlife
superrevvy
Yeah,maybe a lot of the same guys who were at the White House gig. Still starnge with all the Stones in town.

Thought of that too and it would be ridiculously random for him to re-create the blues jams at the White House for SNL. It's definitely possible but just really random. Still even in this scenario, Keith would maybe feel slighted that he wasn't included in the festivities. But if Jeff Beck's there....Keith might be compelled to sit it out...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:56

71Tele

That was also what I thought; the 19th is in 16 days. That would be great a little like the "flatbed truck promotion" of 1975. Nobody knew and the surprise effect was part of the bit. One can dream.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:01

Any chance they got it wronng and he's only hosting,not performing?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:05

As nobody is questioning the reliabity of the report, I take it that the information is accurate.
If so, please let it have nothing to do with Will.i.am.

Evenin' all.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:07

Max'sKansasCity
Max'sKansasCity

That is 8 so far winking smiley
174 smoking smiley

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:07

sweetcharmedlife
Any chance they got it wronng and he's only hosting,not performing?

Also Rolling Stone is speaking of performing
[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: May 3, 2012 22:10

Wow!!!! - Interesting turn of events. Jagger has performed before with and without the rest of the Stones - Lorne Michaels thinks the world of Jagger - Jagger has been in numerous comic sits but he has never "hosted before".

Obviously Jagger will perform musically but who will he perform with? Last year, I expected a Jagger/ Superheavy appearance on SNL but now, Superheavy is passe (thankfully) and there is nothing to new promote. If it is just Jagger without the rest of the Stones, I can't help feel that Jagger really doesnt want to have anything to do with Richards (understandably). On the other hand, it is entirely possible that these first press reports are inaccurate - we can only hope that this is a Rolling Stones musical performance with Jagger hosting the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 22:12 by wanderingspirit66.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:19

Harlem Shuffler
As nobody is questioning the reliabity of the report, I take it that the information is accurate.

[www.nbc.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:22

In my humble opinion...

This is all logically leading up to a huge media surprise/event. Give them all some credit.
An announcement from these guys should be colossal. Press Conference, eh maybe not big enough...

The Rolling Stones will play on Saturday Night Live. (!)

Date: May 3, 2012 22:52

let's hope so!

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home