Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Rolling Stone: Keith Apologies to Mick
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:06

That's right His Majesty, the lion's share of "Life" is a copy and paste job. I don't think that the ghostwriter was granted that many hours of Keith's participation. Keith, himself, hasn't, of course, written a single line in that book. The ghostwriter had to cook up a book from, probably, a couple of hours interviews with keith, hence the copy and paste work.

For me the profit from that book was the description of Keith's childhood and Schooldays. That, I hadn't heard before (well, most of it).

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:13

Bliss
>>>We all understand what lies at the "core" of all he says about Mick - all his anger and bitterness caused by the fact that Jagger has long gone from him.
And of course the envy of the fact that Jagger enjoyes greater fame than he does, and always gets more attention

That's really the heart of it...where he says, "Where has my friend gone?" Mick moved on from this friendship years ago. But he stays connected for business purposes, which must be rather an ordeal for Keith, since Mick's indifference would not be well-concealed. Imagine enduring that for 35+ years.

This is totally spot on. 100%. Says everything really. IMO the core of everything really since the spring of 1967 when Keith started to share the throne and pop status with Mick.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:13

proudmary
Bliss

Just so you know, - I - reported it because I thought the way Northernale1 attacked you was way out of line.

Thanks,Bliss. I understand you reported Northernale1's post not mine

I hope that you also understand now that it wasn't me who reported you, which you accused me of.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:25

Doxa

Anyway, at the time I remeber hearing fisrt time (years ago) Keith's complaint abot Jagger's guitar playing, I think it was just funny, nothing really substantive or serious. But now it starts to sound there is a pattern in his criticism, or a campaign going on, and it not so well intented at all. That damn book gave it all an official, serious nature. The fact that Keith repeated many of his old quotes in the book took it all to different level; it wasn't just passing thoughts going on...

- Doxa

Very good points. But

Asside from World War III [scars long healed I suspect] I don't think there was ever any malice in Keith's digs at Mick over the years. ...just typical mischeiviousness...but put them all together in a book and it starts to read like a hate campaign !
I don't think keith or anybody else could have predicted how it would be read and interperated by all the hard core "stonesologists".

I rather think that observations have caused the perceived problem ... rather than report it !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 17:34 by Spud.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:36

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Keith certainly praises Mick's abilities as a frontman and showman, but Mick is a musician too - something often overlooked even here on this site. Keith was more than once criticized or demeaned Mick's electric guitar playing, for example. What could possibly be the motivation for that? It would be like Mick disparaging Keith's singing.

Mick has joked with Keith's singing in several interviews, of course not in a mean way.

Keith is close to Mick, the guitar player - we're not. On Sticky and Exile, it's obvious that Mick learned from Keith. In the 70s and 80s he learned from someone else and played very differently, especially with his right hand (too much on the beat). I reckon that's what Keith is talking about. Mick's rhythm playing after Exile is in a way what the Stones are trying not to become.

Just a guess from my part.

Good observation about Mick's change in style, but I don't think Keith's insults were technical or stylistic in nature.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:39

Stoneage
Isn't it just as simple as that Mick had improved his guitarplaying and that Keith, therefore, wanted to put him down because he felt intimidated by it?

Kind of what I was getting at...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 2, 2012 21:41

Stoneage
That's right His Majesty, the lion's share of "Life" is a copy and paste job. I don't think that the ghostwriter was granted that many hours of Keith's participation. Keith, himself, hasn't, of course, written a single line in that book. The ghostwriter had to cook up a book from, probably, a couple of hours interviews with keith, hence the copy and paste work.

For me the profit from that book was the description of Keith's childhood and Schooldays. That, I hadn't heard before (well, most of it).

From what I've read from the ghostwriter, he had much more than a couple of hours with Keith, at least a few to several days at a stretch, one time, anyway.
He has said he had to chase Keith to different continents.

How many actual hours he spent with him I don't know.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 2, 2012 21:53

I believe you, Angee. I was just guessing. I have a hard time thinking that keith would have the discipline to sit down and talk for longer stints to a journalist (ghostwriter). But maybe I'm wrong.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home