Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 38
Re: Stones tour pushed back to 2013
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:18

windmelody
Superrevvy, it is not he Stones who choose the doctor, but the insurance company.

True. But my comment still stands. Michael Jackson was in way worse shape than
Keith and still got certified by insurance company doctors for a grueling
50 date stand in London, as the indispensible star. If Taylor is on board and
Jeff Beck is on standby, Keith becomes somewhat dispensible and certainly
insurable, as long as he agrees that others can step in for him if necessary.

Insurance company doctors do NOT disqualify anybody from doing shows. They
just develop the justification for charging higher rates. Insurance companies
want the shows to happen as much as anybody, or else their insurance doesnt
get bought.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:21

with sssoul

i understand that's your theory, Mathijs - and you're entitled to speculate just like everybody else

Sure it's speculation, but one can not forget that Jann Wenner is one of Mick's closest friends for years now. Wenner doesn't publish anything Mick doesn't want.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:27

Green Lady
Here is an account of how and why Keith did the spoken part on Goin' Down Slow, from [Warren Haynes], who was present:
[www.relix.com]

thank you Green Lady - i hope someone posts that on shidoobee as well

Date: March 15, 2012 14:29

Its also interesting that in that Rolling Stone article that Keith said Mick
is living in NYC currently, because L'Wren seems to be living in London.

I told y'all weeks ago that I smelled trouble. But hopefully its just a wee
bump in the road and they'll be back together soon.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:42

Perhaps he was insurable but at a price the promoter and band did not like given the deals on offer.

Mick living in NYC could just be a studio session issue. Perhaps this time they want to work in the States instead of France or London or wherever. I believe ABB was done in France at Mick's place.

Anyway, you can have good days and bad days with brain injuries. Many factors including sound, lighting and presciption drugs could be an issue. Then again, maybe, just maybe it really is a bigger issue that Keith can't play at the level Mick and the others would want.

Look, a brain injury and arthtic fingers, blood pressure drugs, age and his whole past history may be creating layered problems for him.

As bummbed as I am about this reality my heart goes out to the guy and his family. These are not fun issues.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:44

what are keith's health problems?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:45

Mathijs
with sssoul

i understand that's your theory, Mathijs - and you're entitled to speculate just like everybody else

Sure it's speculation, but one can not forget that Jann Wenner is one of Mick's closest friends for years now. Wenner doesn't publish anything Mick doesn't want.

Mathijs

Yep, Rolling Stone gave Goddess 5 stars!

"No Anchovies, Please"

I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:49

rogue
my heart goes out to the guy and his family

Kind words. Could use more of those.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: March 15, 2012 14:52

rogue
As bummbed as I am about this reality my heart goes out to the guy and his family. These are not fun issues.

i think the feelings are unanimous in that regard.

michael jackson didnt have to do those 50 London shows, he wanted to, and was
quite open to the "help" provided by his doctors. Similarly, Whitney Houston
didnt need to make a comeback, but wanted to, and got similar "help".

hopefully its just me going overboard once again. hoepfully keith is not trying
to make a comeback he doesnt need to make. it is not in any way a prediction,
it is just a fear that i can't shake.

i will say this: if mick has a similar fear, suddenly mick's behavior makes
much more sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 14:53 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:53

chrism13
what are keith's health problems?

You name it, somebody on this board thinks he's got it.

Date: March 15, 2012 15:00

Wyman coming back is great.

But...

Sometimes I wonder what might I really expect from an group of almost octogenarian people on a stage. And I also wonder what it does have to do with rock and if reason and biology should play a role in all this lovely madness or if there are limits to be respected (their own legacy for instance...).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 15, 2012 15:01

Mick is such a devious ol' bugger.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 15, 2012 15:03

superrevvy
windmelody
Superrevvy, it is not he Stones who choose the doctor, but the insurance company.

get bought.

Would you like to see Rolling Stones without Keith Richards? Jeff Beck would be a horrible option that would ruin the sound completely with his ugly guitarsound. Can´t stand that distorted strat sound that Beck has. Keith can never be replaced, without him the band is dead.

Date: March 15, 2012 15:21

71Tele
So, we have some sort of confirmation that Richards' condition is a real issue. We have (possibly) Wyman back in the fold, which is delightful. We have new sessions, which may not be any good. We have a new documentary, which sounds great. Sadly, no word about Taylor. Maybe band politics blocked his return? All in all, glass at least half-full I would say.

What condition though. We already know about the arthritis. If the new sessions are anything along the lines of another Forty Licks kind of thing, wellll, good for them. The documentary is the better bet but only if it's something along the lines of The Beatles' Anthology videos. If it's just going to be 2 hours covering 45 years of spotty activity then...how could they do enough in 2 hours? Hopefully it will be much longer.

Re: Stones tour pushed back to 2013- Keith's health a concern
Date: March 15, 2012 15:22

71Tele
Naturalust
About time we heard something, thanks andrewt!

As far as Keith's health is concerned, plenty he can do in a year to improve his arthritic condition! Naysayers be damned. The science of such has greatly improved in recent years. Mostly diet and magic supplements like Botswellia Serrata and crushed crayfish shells. I'll bet he's doing what he can in that regard, we can only hope for the best.

Plenty of time for folks to start saving their nickels too. I can finally now say that the rumors I heard were indeed from a certain promoter, now that the cat is out of the bag. Whoo Hoo! peace

Can you put Botswellia and crayfish shells in Shepherd's pie?

Stuffed crawfish shells do...what? You don't eat the shells so...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 15, 2012 15:29

superrevvy, why do you keep mentioning Keith along with Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston? You criticized someone earlier for spreading nonsense and disinformation and now you go and talk about prescription drugs and how that is the concern at the moment. What the @#$%& is up with that nonsense and disinformation that YOU are spreading? Go back to talking about Rihanna.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 15, 2012 15:32

Elmo Lewis
Mathijs
with sssoul

Mathijs

Yep, Rolling Stone gave Goddess 5 stars!

And they published a great review of LIFE. So what?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 15:34

superrevvy
windmelody

get bought.

I don't get the comments about the possibility of Jeff Beck being part of any future Stones shows. He's great, but his dazzling chops would distract from the essence of the Stones sound. Now, Mick taylor back on board would be more than adequate, especially with Bill Wyman as well. As for the talk of not expecting a great show from a bunch of guys pushing or past 70, no realistic fan expects to hear a recreation of how the Stones sounded in their 20's or 30's. But for those of us who've loved the Stones for 50 years, I think most of us would like to have one more chance to see them. Their playing may well be less aggresive than in the glory days but I think they are still capable of putting on a satisfying show for old time's sake. Keith may not be able to be what he once was, but I don't expect him to stand or sit there like a drooling paraplegic either. If he can contribute in a more spartan, bluesy style, most fans will be glad to see him up there. Woody, Taylor and even Jagger can pick up the slack and I'll bet it will sound very much like The Rolling Stones. Ron and Mick (Jagger) can both play very much like Keith in some ways and if you listen to Mick Taylor on Bob Dylan's Real Live, he plays a lot of open-tuned work that's rather Keith-like. I still maintain they may surprise us with something better than many people expect. Especially with the bluesy voice Keith displayed recently, I hope he does more backing vocals and they don't rely on all those hired hands so much. Hopefully, the undisclosed health isues for Keith are not something truly dreadful or life-threatening. I pray he doesn't have cancer or something. That would be very sad. The ultimate would be if Taylor and Wyman really are back in and no more D. Jones or a host of hired singers this time.

Date: March 15, 2012 15:37

JumpinJeppeFlash
superrevvy
windmelody

get bought.

Would you like to see Rolling Stones without Keith Richards? Jeff Beck would be a horrible option that would ruin the sound completely with his ugly guitarsound. Can´t stand that distorted strat sound that Beck has. Keith can never be replaced, without him the band is dead.

I didnt say I wanted to see a Stones without Keith. I agree that Keith is
the Stones. What I said was that, knowing Keith, if somebody said to him
"we'll finance this tour as long as the show can go on even if you're
unavailable", that Keith would say okay to that condition, just to get the
show on the road, feeling certain in himself that that clause would never
be invoked.

I've long since adjusted to every possibility here. From Keith bowing out
gracefully to Keith blowing everybody's minds by kicking ass yet again.
I just want what's best for Keith, but I don't necessarily trust him to
figure out what that is. However I do trust Mick to do that. So whatever
Mick and Keith can get together on, I will be 100% behind it. And whatever
they can't get together on, I'll be able to let it go.

Date: March 15, 2012 15:41

To repeat, I am NOT advocating for Jeff Beck in the Stones. I just put it out
there as something I suspect even KEITH might agree to, as radical a backup plan
as it is, if it meant the difference between getting the financing and/or
insurance versus not getting it.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 15, 2012 15:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 16:33 by proudmary.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 15, 2012 16:32

superrevvy
...Keith becomes somewhat dispensible and certainly insurable, as long as he agrees that others can step in for him if necessary.[/b]...

As much I believe Keith to be an essential part of the Stones (if he's not there neither am I) I agree with this. The insurers are taking on a bunch of old dudes some with drink, drug and other health issues. They need to be assured that, short of Jagger going sick, the show will go on. Sadly, most of the audience that turns up for stadium concerts only care whether Mick is there anyway.

Of course Mick will be 70 when they tour so, however fit he may be, he is a risk himself.

Date: March 15, 2012 17:04

OK, so imagine it is 1977 and Keith gets jailed in Canada for five years instead of playing charity gigs. If Jeff Beck had stepped in to tour with the Stones then would it be the Rolling Stones?

NO.

So why is 2012 or 2013 any different?

Without Kieth, Mick, and Charlie it ain't the Stones. Bill left on his own. Mick Taylor left on his own. Ronnie stepped in for MT.

Keith wants to play and tour. How, when, and where is up to him and the band but this talk of Jeff Beck joining them to openly back up Kieth is nonsense and an insult to Mick Taylor. He's the guy to stand on stage with them and fill in parts if that is what is needed and desired. He's a Stone.

God bless you Keith, I hope you are OK.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
71Tele
Naturalust
About time we heard something, thanks andrewt!

As far as Keith's health is concerned, plenty he can do in a year to improve his arthritic condition! Naysayers be damned. The science of such has greatly improved in recent years. Mostly diet and magic supplements like Botswellia Serrata and crushed crayfish shells. I'll bet he's doing what he can in that regard, we can only hope for the best.

Plenty of time for folks to start saving their nickels too. I can finally now say that the rumors I heard were indeed from a certain promoter, now that the cat is out of the bag. Whoo Hoo! peace

Can you put Botswellia and crayfish shells in Shepherd's pie?

Stuffed crawfish shells do...what? You don't eat the shells so...

It was....a joke.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:12

The insurers? OMG I hate to think rock shows are in any way dependent on the opinions of such a group. I mean come on, headlines "Rolling Stones won't tour this year because AIG Insurance group has determined there is too much risk of a band member collapsing on stage". It will never go down that way. They will obviously have to find a way to make the show more about THE MUSIC and less about running to and fro and duck walking on stage.

They have been talking about how to grow up as an old aged blues based band and the time has come. Sit in chairs in a circle, relate and talk to one another, tell stories, and play play music, that's plenty good enough. Most of the nose bleed seaters are staring at the video screen for the whole show anyway.

The Mick Taylor issue is likely dependent on Ronnie. He is still fit to play and I could see a tour with Taylor on full time as a threat to his contribution and loyaly to the Stones. I know I would probably resent it if I were Ronnie. Personally I'd love to see it go down with MT but would he be happy covering Keith's parts? Ronnie's not likely going to let him take over his parts, I just don't see it working unfortunately.

JumpinJeppeFlash you could be flogged in these parts for talking about Jeff Becks guitar tone like that. He has some of the sickest and baddest assed guitar tones on the planet, I'm sorry you feel that way but I wouldn't go too far out on that limb, plenty ready to chainsaw it off right behind you. I love Jeff Becks guitar sound. Have you seen him live this past year? I didn't think so... peace

Yeah Tele and WeLoveToPlayTheBlues, crushed scrayfish shells. Millions of Americans are eating them every day as a supplement. That is the main ingredient in all the rows and rows and "joint support" supplements you see in every pharmacy in the USA. Whole rows dedicated to the stuff. Why? Because it works. The Botswellia serrata is from an African treebark and has history, also called Frankensense. I always wondered why the three wise men brought the stuff to Mary and Joseph as gifts when Jesus was born in the manger some 2000 years ago. Must be something to it. I hope Keith starts taking the stuff, many guitar players here in California are, with noticeable results.

peace

Stones back into the studio
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:21

Am I the only one getting confused with this thread that opened with the fact that our boys
have been together in London, jamming away with the blues, are talking about going back into
the studio and a new documentary being made and ends up with talk about crushed shells?
What is the point of posting at a Rolling Stones fan board if we are no longer able to distinguish
the important facts from odd speculations?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 17:25 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:24

71Tele
It was....a joke.

Oh well, some people get it, some people don't smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:24

If Keith collapses on stage who pays his medical bills? And who pays all the money back to the audience and the wages of the staff etc etc. That's why they need insurance.

Bless you Keith but if you're not fit this year you're hardly going to be fitter next year. Just go off and look after yourself.

To suggest any live work under the name Rolling Stones without Keith is ridiculous. The chances are there will never be a tour or any live activity.

Date: March 15, 2012 17:26

The fact is this simple. For the first time Kieth is really ill and they are saying so.

Gold Rings Onya, keith!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 15, 2012 17:26

The cat's out of the cradle, erm, out of the bag now.

The good news is the Rolling Stones will be heading into the recording studio soon-ish for some new material. I hope they will make an entire album and not merely a new single to coincide with the release of their documentary movie.

Keith still pushing forward with his solo material is also good news.

And I have learned that Wyman's participation in the jam sessions from last year has been the big news for quite a few people not on IORR.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home