Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Are We Beating a Dead Horse?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 14, 2012 02:22

Title5Take1
What's amusing is to read old Stones stories from even in 1968: "They're too old."

Oh yeah, and they were already parodies of themselves. Read some more and some wit will complain that Jagger's too nasally and mannered on Beggar's Banquet.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 14, 2012 02:44

stonescrow
stonesdan60
Seems like one subject is getting beaten to death here: Can the Stones (especially Keith) still pull off a decent show or tour? Depends what fans are willing to accept as "decent." Let's face facts. The Stones are pushing 70. Mick can probably put on a decent show for his age. Charlie seems to be in good shape. Ron can probably do well if he stays sober. Keith remains a question mark. He's certainly not going to bring back the days of yore, but may be able to pull of a decent performance if he sticks to the simple, bluesy kind of playing witnessed in the Sumlin rehearsal clip. Maybe he can do even better with intense rehearsals of what he's used to playing, while delegating some of his classic riffs to Ronnie if his fingers truly are inhibited by arthritis or something. Will fans accept a show that requires additional musicians like Blondie to fill in the gaps in Keith's playing? Will fans accept a show that sounds very much like the Stones even if the actual Stones can't deliver as they did in younger days? If it means one last chance to see our favorite band in person, I would enjoy such a show while acknowledging that the Stones of past years are not going to really be seen ever again. If Keith sticks to his classic open G chords, which are fairly easy to play and can throw in simple fills (noodle lick notwithstanding, lol) that don't try to exceed his current abilities it could still sound pretty good. If Charlie can still kick that unique beat that drives the band and Mick can still sing with what he displayed at the White House, we may have something enjoyable. If Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman are back on board I think we'd have some really good shows. Nothing lasts forever. I'd be happy just to see the Stones one more time celebrating past glories even if they need some outside help to pull it off. I'd like to see them "give it a bash," as Keith says. They may just surprise us. But are they up for the rigors of touring at their present ages? I envision a different kind of tour, with more days off between gigs. Maybe just major cities with multiple shows at whatever stadium or arena they choose. More fans would have to be willing to travel farther to see them if they're willing to see living legends one more time. In a perfect world, I'd like to think that they - especially Keith - rally for the occasion and surprise us with something better than most of us expect. If not, well - they've blown minds enough times in the past that we can't really complain. Some people are thrilled just to see living legends in person. People still go see Chuck Berry at 85 and from various recent youtube clips I've seen, he can hardly play at all anymore. I'd hate to see it come down to such embarrassing performances for the Stones. If they can play without overextending the limitations of age, it could be pleasing to a lot of people. I don't think anyone is star-stuck enough to expect a recreation of '73, '78, or '81 anymore. It will be interesting to see what if anything they may do...

Well, if they were to play as badly as Muhammad Ali performed in his last two fights of his career it would be sad indeed. The good news is, Mick won't allow that to happen. He will do whatever it takes to make sure they go out in a blaze of glory or they won't go out at all. If it means adding Mick Taylor and Jeff Beck for support then that is what he will do. Personally, I would like to see them add Beck, Taylor, and Wyman.

If they could get Wyman, Taylor & Beck that would be outstanding!

But, but, but, Keith will need to stick to rhythm or even acoustic 'sound fattening.' He cannot play lead again.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 14, 2012 08:48

Title5Take1
What's amusing is to read old Stones stories from even in 1968: "They're too old."

People have been beating that drum for so long it's hilarious. I remember reading a review of a '69 show that said Mick looked "old and tired." '72: "Surely this will be the last tour as the Stones are pushing 30..." Skip ahead. '78 had to be the last tour as they were in their mid-30's....'81 HAD to be the last tour as Mick and Keith were in their late 30's....'89 HAD to be a farewell tour as they were in their *gasp* 40's. Skip ahead..Licks Tour HAD to be the last as they were pushing 60 before long...and so one...and on....

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1990
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home