Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "The pool's in, but the patio ain't dry" question...
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 13, 2012 15:26

Patti's wet. It's that simple.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 13, 2012 16:21

Mathijs
[www.iorr.org]

I have read that it means something like 'the foundations are there, but there is still lots of improvement to be made', and that it is a reference to the general press Bruce received at the time -a good comedian, but there is still a lot to be improved concerning foul language and obscenity. Richards’ line in T&A then means as much as ‘I have all the wealth and riches, but the foundation is wrong’, revering to his drug use. Don’t know if it is correct, but it sounds plausible.

Mathijs

+1 sounds right

Date: February 13, 2012 16:25

Elmo Lewis
Patti's wet. It's that simple.

But had he even met her? Sounds more like dealing with an ongoing heroin addiction outside the public eye since his boss forced him to give interviews about "coming clean" already by 1977. Sex or drugs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 13, 2012 16:36

Redhotcarpet
But had he even met [Patti]?

yes

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:26

I always thought that he ment something like starting at the end. Something in the line of running before walking.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:29

leteyer
Something in the line of running before walking.

smile: that's a different song - and it's the other way around, innit? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:36

leteyer
I always thought that he ment something like starting at the end. Something in the line of running before walking.

hey!!! no running around the pool! it's slippery.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:49

Pool ... pool stick ?

The pool is in ....

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:49

Such abysmal lyrics in this song.

Date: February 13, 2012 18:34

stones78
Such abysmal lyrics in this song.

She's So Cold too...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 13, 2012 18:54

I just read it as Keith's ironic and humourous metaphor for his new, bourgeois, supposedly clean American life with Patti, as if he were a proud suburban homeowner detailing the progress of his backyard project.

Date: February 13, 2012 18:57

Rolling Hansie
Pool ... pool stick ?

The pool is in ....

Now we're talking winking smiley

Posted by: wandlimb ()
Date: February 13, 2012 19:11

This thread is hilarious. Thanks everyone for amusing me on a Monday morning. : )

Karla

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 13, 2012 22:24

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-13 22:25 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 13, 2012 22:47

I always figured that if one was to dive, repeatedly, into the "pool" then the "patio" would, of course, be slippery.

I do wonder though, how deep is this particular pool?
Shallow ones can be hurtful.

Date: February 14, 2012 00:32

Kurt
I always figured that if one was to dive, repeatedly, into the "pool" then the "patio" would, of course, be slippery.

I do wonder though, how deep is this particular pool?
Shallow ones can be hurtful.
Just ask Bill. (sorry couldnt resist)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 14, 2012 00:57

I always thought the curse of Dylan being such a brilliant writer is that there are all these asinine books by academic scholars (who know nothing about music) analyzing his lyrics. Half the time he didn't mean anything, but was just looking for a word to rhyme or he was taking the piss (which doesn't make him any less brilliant)...Anyway I think it would be hilarious if one of these geniuses would devote a tome to Keith's lyrics. He or she could speculate about the deeper meaning of pools and patios until the proverbial cows come home.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 14, 2012 08:13

It is definitely a nod to Lenny. Keith told me himself. He's a huge fan.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 14, 2012 08:29

TeddyB1018
It is definitely a nod to Lenny. Keith told me himself. He's a huge fan.

Yeah I knew withssoul had it right in the beginning of this thread.

And although sometimes lyrics are trivial , it also is nice to know some insight into their making as I learned here in this thread about one of my favorite Stones tunes. Not everyone can barf out lyrics quickly and perfectly like Dylan or Jagger did in their heydays. Sometimes an awful lot of painstaking thought goes into them and figuring them out is a cool process.

I've had alot of fun just trying to write out and decipher Stones lyrics. peace

Date: February 14, 2012 08:39

with sssoul
Redhotcarpet
But had he even met [Patti]?

yes

I still think its about Lil.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:49

Interesting...but, I think we you may all be taking this a little too literally. Keith doesnt have a history of writing ambiguous lyrics, he is usually pretty straight to the point. For me the line simply references the Lenny bruce quote and no more. Let's face it he pulls no punches when talking about 'tits and ass' so why would he suddenly go all double entendre for that line.

Great song though!

Date: February 16, 2012 12:30

Thank you whoever you are:

[keithrichards-.tumblr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-16 12:31 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 16, 2012 15:11

71Tele
I always thought the curse of Dylan being such a brilliant writer is that there are all these asinine books by academic scholars (who know nothing about music) analyzing his lyrics. Half the time he didn't mean anything, but was just looking for a word to rhyme or he was taking the piss (which doesn't make him any less brilliant)...Anyway I think it would be hilarious if one of these geniuses would devote a tome to Keith's lyrics. He or she could speculate about the deeper meaning of pools and patios until the proverbial cows come home.

so true, just like everyone wanting to know the meaning of "where have you gone Joe DiMaggio..." which Paul Simon has said was simply used becasue it had the right amount of syllables...and Mickey Mantle didn't.

Date: February 16, 2012 16:48

HalfNanker
71Tele

so true, just like everyone wanting to know the meaning of "where have you gone Joe DiMaggio..." which Paul Simon has said was simply used becasue it had the right amount of syllables...and Mickey Mantle didn't.

that's stupid...mickey was still playing ball when paul wrote the song. it was really a choice between joe and ted williams....

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 16, 2012 22:27

StonesTod
HalfNanker
71Tele

that's stupid...mickey was still playing ball when paul wrote the song. it was really a choice between joe and ted williams....

StonesTod...think before you speak (or call someone stupid):

References in the last verse to Joe DiMaggio are perhaps the most discussed. Paul Simon, a fan of Mickey Mantle, was asked during an intermission on The Dick Cavett Show why Mantle wasn’t mentioned in the song instead of DiMaggio. Simon replied, "It's about syllables, Dick. It's about how many beats there are."[[/i]

[home.c2i.net]

Thinking Ted Williams was the other option...one may call that stupid, though; a Yankee fan, such as Paul Simon wouldnt put a Red Sox player in his song no matter how perfect the meter was!

Date: February 16, 2012 23:28

HalfNanker
StonesTod
HalfNanker
71Tele

References in the last verse to Joe DiMaggio are perhaps the most discussed. Paul Simon, a fan of Mickey Mantle, was asked during an intermission on The Dick Cavett Show why Mantle wasn’t mentioned in the song instead of DiMaggio. Simon replied, "It's about syllables, Dick. It's about how many beats there are."[[/i]

[home.c2i.net]

Thinking Ted Williams was the other option...one may call that stupid, though; a Yankee fan, such as Paul Simon wouldnt put a Red Sox player in his song no matter how perfect the meter was!

well, that's just stupid. and i tried to think before i said that this time, but it didn't work.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 16, 2012 23:46

StonesTod
HalfNanker
StonesTod
HalfNanker
71Tele

[home.c2i.net]

well, that's just stupid. and i tried to think before i said that this time, but it didn't work.

Plus, he called him dick on the show you were referencing...and that just isn't right.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 17, 2012 00:41

Redhotcarpet

So - we don't know who this woman is Keith is so drawn to?

------------------

As to the OP's question:

I pasted a link to the Lenny Bruce clip in this thread a couple years ago - don't know whether it's still up but when it was, you could hear him utter the lines paraphrased in Little T&A - click here: http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1350773,1350773#msg-1350773

In LIFE doesn't one of Keith's paramours say it was based on Lenny Bruce but she came up with the twist on the line, and Keith liked it? maybe it was not in LIFE but in some interview...so hard to keep track of stuff!

And Tele...my dear friend...you might like to get into minutia about amps or something, while some people prefer to analyze poetry. smiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2012 01:58

swiss
Redhotcarpet

------------------

As to the OP's question:

I pasted a link to the Lenny Bruce clip in this thread a couple years ago - don't know whether it's still up but when it was, you could hear him utter the lines paraphrased in Little T&A - click here: http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1350773,1350773#msg-1350773

In LIFE doesn't one of Keith's paramours say it was based on Lenny Bruce but she came up with the twist on the line, and Keith liked it? maybe it was not in LIFE but in some interview...so hard to keep track of stuff!

And Tele...my dear friend...you might like to get into minutia about amps or something, while some people prefer to analyze poetry. smiling smiley

No I said thank you to whoever posted that picture. The woman is Patti.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 17, 2012 02:07

Redhotcarpet
swiss
Redhotcarpet

No I said thank you to whoever posted that picture. The woman is Patti.

That's the sexiest picture I've ever seen of Patti. And the most I've ever seen Keith appearing to be very "into" her - must've been early on. Great shot!

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-17 02:09 by swiss.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home