Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: In Defense of Latter Day Stones
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:54

superrevvy
StonesTod
superrevvy
sadly there are many many people who can only get off on the music of their
youth. mick calls it "ossification". he's right.

what's sad about it? if they know what they like and don't like and stick with what they like, i think that's cool....

i think its cool too. until they start calling other people's "crap".
then it is not cool at all.

>>calling other people's crap<< ?
Didn't get that one.... Making names for other peoples pile of crap? Why would one do that? Maybe it's my poor English.

But if you mean speaking about a certain album as "crap", I don't see the problem. If somebody can call it "excellent" then surely there's nothing wrong about going to the lower side of the rating scale to describe the music.

Otherwise, we all should just use "good minus" "good" and "good plus" ratings to not offend anybody

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:00 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:55

superrevvy
the stones didnt die in 1977. you did.

lemme check - i'll get back to you on that if it turns out i still live....

Date: February 9, 2012 18:58

Erik_Snow
superrevvy
StonesTod
superrevvy

what's sad about it? if they know what they like and don't like and stick with what they like, i think that's cool....

Didn't get that one.... You mean making names for piles of other peoples crap?

But if you mean speaking about a certain album as "crap", I don't see the problem. If somebody can call it "excellent" then surely there's nothing wrong about going to the lower side of the rating scale to describe the music.

here's the real problem, erik: some people can't separate themselves from the music they like, so when someone criticizes or even ridicules something they like, they take it as a personal affront or attack, which, is of course a silly, immature reaction.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:59

anybody who calls anything by the rolling stones "crap" is an ignoramus.

doesnt mean you have to like it. theres things theyve done that i don't like.
but never would i have the gall to call it "crap". it is all at the very
least wonderfully crafted and presented.

what a prideful bunch of...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:59

StonesTod
i'll get back to you on that if it turns out i still live....

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 9, 2012 19:01

the silly reactionary reaction is to dismiss the popular music of
25 years because you dont happen to understand it or feel it.

exactly like your parents.

as i said, sad.

as mick said, ossified, the lot of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:02 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:02

superrevvy

I'm with 71 Tele here. Their muse died in the late 70s. But there is nothing strange with that. In fact they managed to stay relevant for an unusually long time - almost two decades. Few band have managed that. Time waits for no one...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:03

superrevvy
never would i have the gall to call it "crap".

Sorry to go off topic. But does this mean the same as "never would I have the guts" or something like that ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:03

stonesdan60
71Tele
Words is words. You can pile on a heap of 'em, but they won't make ABB a great album. The Stones have not made a decent album since Bill left, and even the couple before that were pretty spotty.

Oh well, we're all entitled to our opinions and taste is subjective. For me, ABB is their best album since Some Girls and I enjoy the hell out of it.

I agree.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:05

superrevvy
anybody who calls anything by the rolling stones "crap" is an ignoramus.

so, calling people names who don't agree with you is cool? hmmm...lemme check with keith about that...he's supposably pretty knowledgeable about the whole cool thing...

Date: February 9, 2012 19:06

still not one person with the guts to name one album they think is greater
than what the stones produced in the same year, that was not some totally
obscure thing...

let me tell you something. there is an absolute golden age of popular music
happening right now, equivelent to the rock and roll of the 50's and early
60s and y'all are missing it, because youve lost your hearing.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:06

Stoneage
superrevvy

I'm with 71 Tele here. Their muse died in the late 70s. But there is nothing strange with that. In fact they managed to stay relevant for an unusually long time - almost two decades. Few band have managed that. Time waits for no one...

i'm with stonestod on that.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:07

superrevvy
the silly reactionary reaction is to dismiss the popular music of
25 years because you dont happen to understand it or feel it.

exactly like your parents.

as i said, sad.

as mick said, ossified, the lot of you.

And at message board for....Bon Jovi, Vanilla Ice , Led Zeppelin, etc, there will be people saying the same as you.
Here's news to you; you don't know jack shit other than your own opinion about what's good and what's not. So don't tell us that we are ignorant if we don't like this era or that album or blah blah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:07 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:07

i only call names at people who call names

the only thing i hate are the haters

Date: February 9, 2012 19:08

superrevvy

who's calling anyone names besides you?

Date: February 9, 2012 19:10

Erik_Snow

And at message board for....Bon Jovi, Vanilla Ice , Led Zeppelin, etc, there will be people saying the same as you.
Here's news to you; you don't know jack shit other than your own opinion about what's good and what's not. So don't tell us that we are ignorant if we don't like this era or that album or blah blah

i NEVER said you should like it. i said the opposite: like what you want.

but you show your ignorance when you call what you dont like "crap"

that is a lesson you missed in kindergarten

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:11

StonesTod
my hunch is that many fans, because they are big fans, want to like the latter-era albums and find themselves telling themselves they like them. i stopped doing that years ago and it's liberating...abb stinks...and it's ok to say that and still love the band. life's too short and there's too much music worth my attention to waste trying to like something that stinks.

WHAAT ??

I´m a big fan - and there´s nothing wrong with Bigger Bang - But I know why you dont like it - I think there´s lot of people who discovered the Stones back in the day (be it 60´s + or 70´s + or 80´s - and they are still on a constant nostalgia trip - and still holding on to their youths and not able to realize that Rollings Stones music hasnt really changed that much over the years.) Bigger Bang has more energy in production wise than Steel Wheels, Between The Buttons or Undercover put together...

Most of the Stones audience are not able to say if Stones are important in recent years or not - cause they only listen to music from the past - teenage years, sixties and seventies. If you live in the past and compare everything Stones do with the past - and dont follow whats going on these days with other bands - youre full of crap. Just a nostalgia for you, huh ?

So there. Dont tell me that I´m fooling myself when it comes to music - I have no problem saying that Led Zeppelin is the greatest cover band that ever lived - and nothing more, cause everything they ever did was a rip off, - Page and Plant are not songwriters - they dont write - they steal.
And when it comes to Stones - I agree with you on life being too short and there's too much music worth our attention to live in the past...like most Stones fans do. I can move on with the band if they keep releasing good songs, that´s why most of you Taylorits are ...

I can openly admit that Mick Taylors career after the Stones is nothing but a pathetic joke, He is overrated as a guitarist - cause his solo career sucks. Every Jagger solo album stinks, some of Charlies boogie woogie projects are boring as hell, Bill Wyman has written only one good song in his entire life and even that was a joke (- Pussy ) The best thing Keith has done in the recent years is Wingless Angels - hands down

- Keith seems to be the only one in the band who has balls to try out new things and come up with interesting results. Wingless Angels is amazing. Lot of rude marks that Keith made in his book about Mick were true, - starting with Micks pretentious stage moves and desperate attemps at being commercial. Superheavy ..oh please, it´s so horrible.. dont get me started on that...that speaks for itself and kinda proofs that Keith was right about Mick in that book of his.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:14 by seitan.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:11

StonesTod
superrevvy

you are. youre calling certain stones music crap. so i'm calling you crap in
return. fair is fair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:12 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:12

StonesTod
Stoneage
superrevvy

Sorry, Tod. It was your quote.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:14

superrevvy
StonesTod
superrevvy

you are. youre calling certain stones music crap. so i'm calling you crap in
return. fair is fair.

yeah, that makes sense. i presume you were captain of your debate team?

Date: February 9, 2012 19:15

superrevvy
Erik_Snow

i NEVER said you should like it. i said the opposite: like what you want.

but you show your ignorance when you call what you dont like "crap"

that is a lesson you missed in kindergarten

>>i NEVER said you should like it>>

but I didn't say you said it. Read my post again, you miss the point,
in fact, your reply only make what I said even clearer

>>missed in kindergarden>> ZZZZZZZZ

And A Bigger Bang is crap in my opinion. That's not ignorance that's my opinion.

The other way around, do you think I could call you ignorant just because you like a crap album

Date: February 9, 2012 19:16

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
superrevvy
StonesTod
superrevvy

here's the real problem, erik: some people can't separate themselves from the music they like, so when someone criticizes or even ridicules something they like, they take it as a personal affront or attack, which, is of course a silly, immature reaction.

Your post becomes clearer as the thread progresses!

Date: February 9, 2012 19:18

seitan
StonesTod
my hunch is that many fans, because they are big fans, want to like the latter-era albums and find themselves telling themselves they like them. i stopped doing that years ago and it's liberating...abb stinks...and it's ok to say that and still love the band. life's too short and there's too much music worth my attention to waste trying to like something that stinks.

WHAAT ??

I´m a big fan - and there´s nothing wrong with Bigger Bang - But I know why you dont like it - I think there´s lot of people who discovered the Stones back in the day (be it 60´s + or 70´s + or 80´s - and they are still on a constant nostalgia trip - and still holding on to their youths and not able to realize that Rollings Stones music hasnt really changed that much over the years.) Bigger Bang has more energy in production wise than Steel Wheels, Between The Buttons or Undercover put together...

Most of the Stones audience are not able to say if Stones are important in recent years or not - cause they only listen to music from the past - teenage years, sixties and seventies. If you live in the past and compare everything Stones do with the past - and dont follow whats going on these days with other bands - youre full of crap. Just a nostalgia for you, huh ?

So there. Dont tell me that I´m fooling myself when it comes to music - I have no problem saying that Led Zeppelin is the greatest cover band that ever lived - and nothing more, cause everything they ever did was a rip off, - Page and Plant are not songwriters - they dont write - they steal.
And when it comes to Stones - I agree with you on life being too short and there's too much music worth our attention to live in the past...like most Stones fans do. I can move on with the band if they keep releasing good songs, that´s why most of you Taylorits are ...

I can openly admit that Mick Taylors career after the Stones is nothing but a pathetic joke, He is overrated as a guitarist - cause his solo career sucks. Every Jagger solo album stinks, some of Charlies boogie woogie projects are boring as hell, Bill Wyman has written only one good song in his entire life and even that was a joke (- Pussy ) The best thing Keith has done in the recent years is Wingless Angels - hands down

- Keith seems to be the only one in the band who has balls to try out new things and come up with interesting results. Wingless Angels is amazing. Lot of rude marks that Keith made in his book about Mick were true, - starting with Micks pretentious stage moves and desperate attemps at being commercial. Superheavy ..oh please, it´s so horrible.. dont get me started on that...that speaks for itself and kinda proofs that Keith was right about Mick in that book of his.

i am not saying all fans...read what i said before responding. and i don't live in the past at all...happen to listen to music, both past and current, from all genres. but, it matters not if i didn't. they key is to explore as much as you can and find what you like and enjoy it. my point was that i believe some fans, as part of the fan experience root for their band(s) and as a result sometimes have difficulty being honest with themselves about what could be heard as inferior music were they not emotionally connected to the band. something along those lines.

and, lighten up! i wasn't criticizing you nor anyone in particular.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:21

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
superrevvy
StonesTod
superrevvy

Your post becomes clearer as the thread progresses!

no kidding. the theory proves itself in real-time!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:24

superrevvy
still not one person with the guts to name one album they think is greater
than what the stones produced in the same year, that was not some totally
obscure thing...

let me tell you something. there is an absolute golden age of popular music
happening right now, equivelent to the rock and roll of the 50's and early
60s and y'all are missing it, because youve lost your hearing.

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life album kicks ass - and it´s far better than Some Girls.

Michael Jackson - Thriller is far better than Rolling Stones Undercover.

The Clash - London Calling - is far better than Emotional Rescue

You want more ?

Guns N Roses - Live Like A Suicide, Nick Cave made two albums Kickin Against The Pricks and Your Funeral My Trial - and they were far better than Dirty Work.

more ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:34 by seitan.

Re: I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:25

Rolling Hansie
StonesTod
Rolling Hansie
You don't need other people's opinions to like what you like. Never ever allow anybody to spoil your fun.

if someone's opinion that differs from your own spoils your fun, then you really didn't have much conviction in the first place and deserve to have your fun spoiled.

As I said before: You don't need other people's opinions to like what you like

Me still like ABB...I will maintain they just needed to actually included Under the Radar, and edit out a few songs...it's far too long. The album should be 10 or 11 songs in total.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:27

the biggest clue is these people who cannot name any popular music they love
that is not really old AND that need to get on the case of those who can.

pure jealousy.

if they were happy with the music they supposedly still love, they wouldnt
feel the need to trash the music that others love. very sad people.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:28

StonesTod
Stoneage
superrevvy

I'm with fingers on this, or treacle, or whatever the hell he's called.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:29

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 19:36 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 9, 2012 19:29

superrevvy
the biggest clue is these people who cannot name any popular music they love
that is not really old AND that need to get on the case of those who can.

pure jealousy.

if they were happy with the music they supposedly still love, they wouldnt
feel the need to trash the music that others love. very sad people.

I'm not sure your analysis is entirely correct.

Could easily be, very old people, or , very lazy people, or, very busy people.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home