Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26
Re: Keith Richards - Howling For Hubert - video.
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:04

SweetThing
kowalski
Don't know if he can still play or not, but it looks like he doesn't want to play the guitar anymore. Let him just sing and hire Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton as deluxe replacements.

Actually, it would be great to see Jagger, Wyman, Watts, Taylor, Beck wouldn't it?

All of them have some connections. They should invite every guitar player that played with the Stones at some time, Taylor, Clapton, Beck, Jimmy Page ...

Date: February 25, 2012 17:18

They should just roll to a stop! Hold a press conference and say, "..for those who took the piss..!" and be done with it!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:28

jagger plays better than keef.sorry to say

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:03

steel driving hammer
Link is down?
yes down for me too

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:21

That the reason why Mick doesn't want to play with keith. He doesn't like looking behind him. The ability of Keith playing guitar is not for him. If you can't be at the same level than him, he lets you down. He may forget his old pal. That the reason why Mick sucks. Happy to play for Obama, being a lord...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:25

This is a case where I don't get all the criticism. This is a blues, people! His singing was soulful and his slide guitar playing was understated and very elegant. I thought it was a moving performance from a man who still knows what the blues means.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:28

71Tele
This is a case where I don't get all the criticism. This is a blues, people! His singing was soulful and his slide guitar playing was understated and very elegant. I thought it was a moving performance from a man who still knows what the blues means.

love the positive spin, tele...you go...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:32

71Tele

I understand that, but the question remains, Is the kind of playing he did last night the only kind of playing he can still do?

Date: February 25, 2012 18:32

StonesTod
71Tele

love the positive spin, tele...you go...

I call 'em as I see 'em.

Date: February 25, 2012 18:33

Keith gave us a lifetime of incredible music that will last for ages. Why people bash him now makes me laugh. Let him do as he pleases and go out the way he wants... he's EARNED it. If you don't like Keith nowadays, don't buy his music or attend his concerts, no one is forcing you to. Sorry, 1969 Keith isn't walking out from behind the curtain and write Gimme Shelter in front of you. People who want Keith to retire should retire from the iorr posting.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:36

How old was the guy filming this one? 120?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:36

withaheadfullofsnow
People who want Keith to retire should retire from the iorr posting.

let me look at my 401k and iorr pension and i'll get back to you...

Date: February 25, 2012 18:39

tatters
71Tele

I understand that, but the question remains, Is the kind of playing he did last night the only kind of playing he can still do?

Yes, that is a legitimate question. Add Taylor, and we have three Stones guitarists and take pressure off Keith. Everybody's happy.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:39

I love Keith, he inspired me to take up the guitar 40 years ago, but his playing sucks now. "You Got the Silver" (one of Keith's signature classics) is also a very easy song to play and yet he strangely let Ronnie play his parts while he simply and strangely stood there singing. And this was for a movie that would highlight the band's glory. What Keith is playing here is bare bones, entry level crap. I don't understand this board. Just because one expresses an opinion and refuses to burn the incense, one gets skewered by the "My Stones Right or Wrong" crowd. It is possible to love the Stones and still have a negative, informed opinion. And my opinion is that, for whatever reason, Keith the guitarist we knew and loved, is done. I would give anything to eat these words and hopefully I will at some point this year. But, based on "Shine A Light" and this, I highly doubt it. And to those who honestly are happy to see this - I truly envy you.

Date: February 25, 2012 18:56

Bleedingman, I agree with alot of what you say based on Keith's current performances. Keith put his whole life into rock n roll, and now he is who he is. I can understand if people are let down or embarassed by his current music abilities. I'm just happy he's around and not retired or dead. I think people should enjoy what he has left, you'll always have the music/bootlegs to enjoy Keith in his heyday.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:15

aprilfool
That the reason why Mick doesn't want to play with keith. He doesn't like looking behind him. The ability of Keith playing guitar is not for him. If you can't be at the same level than him, he lets you down. He may forget his old pal. That the reason why Mick sucks. Happy to play for Obama, being a lord...

The gap between Mick and Keith is getting wider because Mick still enjoys the physicality and energy response that he gets when he sings rock and roll and Keith doesn't seem to get that physical kick anymore. Keith is very mellow now, that's fine but I don't know how they are going to make that work on stage if they do something together.
Rock and Roll,
mops

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:28

Man, have to agree......Mick was great. Keith, on the other hand, was like some old drunk singing in the pub. Played next to nothing on the guitar. Really hope he can get his act together before they tour - I want the tour to be about the music and about seeing a band that can still play. I'm not interested in going to see some old museum pieces propped up on stage...So if it means that they change their act - play smaller venues, focus on the blues and the more intimate numbers, then so be it......but I don't want to pay £500 (which I'm sure the tickets will be this time around) to go to a football stadium to see Keith stand there, not play guitar, and do that ridiculous "crooning" that he does. I can see old drunk blokes mangling songs for free down the road in my local boozer.

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:32

He can´t play guitar anymore. That´s sad.

Greetings Raluca

Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:38

one strange footnote is that one of the most famous musicians in the world got
back on a public stage for the first time in years, in new york city, and so far on
google there are still zero news stories about it anywhere in the world.

i didnt expect huge press coverage, but zero is certainly a surprise. to me.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:40

bleedingman
As I posted on the video thread - Expressing an honest, informed opinion is not "bashing". We are all fans. Keith played 10 times better blues on the first Stones albums than he does today. It saddens me to see this BECAUSE I LOVE THE MAN. I'm willing to bet that he is also sad and frustrated that his skills have deteriorated to the extent that he is below beginner levels now. And that is a fact. I am very happy that Keith is still alive, if not exactly kicking. He has been a huge part of my life since I was 10 years old (I'm 58 now). He has given me tremendous joy through all those years. I'm just sorry that he can't do it any more. Again, I'd bet good money that he's even sorrier.
I would say his ability / his possibility to play has deteriorated. He knows how to play, but can't play because of bad fingers - that's the worse, specially for Keith himself, knowing he can could play much better, but because of his artritis he can't. What a sad situation to be in.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:40

john lomax
Man, have to agree......Mick was great. Keith, on the other hand, was like some old drunk singing in the pub. Played next to nothing on the guitar. Really hope he can get his act together before they tour - I want the tour to be about the music and about seeing a band that can still play. I'm not interested in going to see some old museum pieces propped up on stage...So if it means that they change their act - play smaller venues, focus on the blues and the more intimate numbers, then so be it......but I don't want to pay £500 (which I'm sure the tickets will be this time around) to go to a football stadium to see Keith stand there, not play guitar, and do that ridiculous "crooning" that he does. I can see old drunk blokes mangling songs for free down the road in my local boozer.

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:42

71Tele

Rightly put!!!
guess most people on this board dont know what the blues are about.
keef is becoming more and more like the old blues man, and that is great!!!
jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:47

carlostones10
Thank you very much. How a blues man, an old blues man, sounds fantastic. How a Rolling Stone I don´t know.

But i loved the blues man Keith.

right!!!!
Come on keef, play the blues!!!
You were great in NYC!!
thanks a lot, and dont blame the people who bash you.
they dont know what they are talking about
jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:49

corriecas
carlostones10
Thank you very much. How a blues man, an old blues man, sounds fantastic. How a Rolling Stone I don´t know.

But i loved the blues man Keith.

right!!!!
Come on keef, play the blues!!!
You were great in NYC!!
thanks a lot, and dont blame the people who bash you.
they dont know what they are talking about
jeroen

While I agree with you...and ironic post given you're constant whining about MJ.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: February 25, 2012 20:01

corriecas
71Tele

Rightly put!!!
guess most people on this board dont know what the blues are about.
keef is becoming more and more like the old blues man, and that is great!!!
jeroen
Not sure keith will be pleased to read that. What is great? Being Handicapped and like that he is a old and true bluesman. I think he will prefer to be in good shape and go on the road with the others guys. You will be happy if he become a blind man, he will look more a real bluesman. and if he could lost his fortune and become poor, what a great bluesman he will. Seriously, Keith do what he is able to do. Don't know how old are you but if you are more than 50, you can't do the same as when you were 20. We call that LIFE!

Date: February 25, 2012 20:06

aprilfool
Don't know how old are you but if you are more than 50, you can't do the same as when you were 20. We call that LIFE!

plenty of musicians play better at 51 than at 20. plenty of people do lots of
things better at 51 than they did at 20.

athletics is the only thing that everybody does better at 20 than 51 (although
in the case of jagger, that would still be a close call. his athleticism at
a disciplined age 51 was still amazing. even versus his undisciplined age 20 self).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 20:13 by superrevvy.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: February 25, 2012 20:09

Doxa
Aah, now after seeing all the clips in youtube (thanks), I think Keith Richards did a perfect Keith Richards tribute to Mr. Sumlin. He put his heart in it, and did the right thing. Personally as only he can. It was like I wished he would, and honestly, expected him to do (he has done tributes earlier, and always very well, his heart and soul on it). This was Keith Richards's personal conribution. For that raeson I have critizised all the way from the beginning all that Rolling Stones/Jagger hype/crap over this show (and vice versa, over Mick's show). I am glad that Jagger was not there to take the spotlight from Keith, but Keith was able to his thing by his own terms (as I was glad that Keith was not in the White House posing and sapotaging Jagger's great musical moment). Like I said earlier in this thread - or Jagger's one - these two are full grown men, individual artists of their own right. If it is not The Rolling Stones playing, I don't see ANY reason why they should perform together. Actually, they are better without the other messing around. Sometimes I feel that damn that Rolling Stones 50 Anniversary or tour hype that seems to rise too much expectations for things that have nothing to do with that. Those expectations - is Keith good enough to play in the tour, where is Mick/Keith, etc - kills the possibility to enjoy the uniqueness of this kind of perfomance.

Thank you, Keith. You sang beautifully, and played good enough for that context. I don't ask anything else than that.thumbs up

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 25, 2012 20:19

superrevvy
back on a public stage for the first time in years, in new york city, and so far on

Speaks volumes about American press, popular taste and music industry - When one of the greatest guitar players of all time dies - Hubert - it hardly made any news.

Date: February 25, 2012 20:25

seitan
superrevvy

Speaks volumes about American press, popular taste and music industry - When one of the greatest guitar players of all time dies - Hubert - it hardly made any news.

I agree Hubert's passing did not get appropriate media coverage, but there were
still lots of brief mentions all over (thanks partly to mick and keith paying
for the funeral, which is the exact reason why they let their charitable
contribution be known, so that Hubert would get more notice ).

but for Keith at the Apollo, we are not talking modest coverage from the
american media. we are talking zero coverage from the world media. including
the music press. so far anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 20:28 by superrevvy.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2012 20:36

bleedingman
As I posted on the video thread - Expressing an honest, informed opinion is not "bashing". We are all fans. Keith played 10 times better blues on the first Stones albums than he does today. It saddens me to see this BECAUSE I LOVE THE MAN. I'm willing to bet that he is also sad and frustrated that his skills have deteriorated to the extent that he is below beginner levels now. And that is a fact. I am very happy that Keith is still alive, if not exactly kicking. He has been a huge part of my life since I was 10 years old (I'm 58 now). He has given me tremendous joy through all those years. I'm just sorry that he can't do it any more. Again, I'd bet good money that he's even sorrier.

Totally agree, after seeing this it´s clearer than ever that he just can´t do it anymore, those of you here that don´t understand that probably don´t play guitar. Keith is having very big problem with his fingers and coordination, it´s obviously great to see the man on stage but those of you that more or less demand him to go on a tour with stones one more time, just forget it. He played really bad sometimes on ABB and now he playes even worse so i really hope they don´t do anything more. It´s enough now, we have been spoilt by the stones with big tours and concerts all over the world for many years, but many people here seem to think that it will go on and on forever. It wont and i for sure don´t want too se Keith like this on a big stage making a fool of himself, would be terrible.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home