Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: Billy Joel Says U2 Has Additional Musicians Playing Under The Stage
Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:02

These U2 apologists are really using "mature" arguments.

"Well everybody else is doing it."

But hey what can you expect..........

Fake band and fake fans...........

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:04

1cdog

Fake band and fake fans..........

Now there's a "mature" argument.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:11

Pope Bono and the Malibu beanie, hit those pedals....does the keyboard player have a periscope down there?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:21

Maybe we could hire Keith to go on an Under Stage search at the next U2 gig...in case Muddy Waters is backing up "The Edge."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:23

stonesrule
Maybe we could hire Keith to go on an Under Stage search at the next U2 gig...in case Muddy Waters is backing up "The Edge."

He could paint the ceiling under the stage.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:55

71Tele
stonesrule

The Edge could use some guitar help - that Irish stupid acting like a Pope.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:52

71Tele
stonesrule

Yeah, and he could help carry the guitars in before the gig.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 20, 2011 13:59

1cdog

No, neither U2 nor their legions of fans are fake by any measure.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 20, 2011 14:43

U2 have legions of fans because their lousy songs are overplayed on radio stations. In France, RTL2 plays an average of 1 U2 song every hour, for years. Not the new ones, but mostly singles from the 80ies + One.
If they played 1 Stones song every hour, during at least 5 years, there would be way more Stones fans in France.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 20, 2011 16:03

Father Ted
1cdog

Bono is fake because he doesn't pay tax.

The edge is fake because he thinks he can build a home on protected land. Plus he can't play more than 1 note.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 20, 2011 19:55

uhbuhgullayew
Father Ted
1cdog

Bono is fake because he doesn't pay tax.

The edge is fake because he thinks he can build a home on protected land. Plus he can't play more than 1 note.

Is this still about 'additional musicians'? I'm trying to keep score here at home.
Plus, I'm sure you know that there is no U2 song that is one single note...check out "Van Diemen's Land" one day.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 2, 2012 20:58

Does he have U2 in his mind?

McCartney commented:

We are glad at the end five of us take a bow and there is nobody hidden under the stage either which I hear some naughty people do… sorry, I won’t say names.

He continued: "When we make mistakes playing live, we always now turn it and say, ‘Tell you what – this proves we are live'."

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 2, 2012 21:26

U2 should be in the same cell as Bernie Madoff.

Date: January 2, 2012 21:32

hwkn
Unless they have the keyboards pre sampled and the Edge or Bono hits a pedal on the stage that triggers it.

As opposed to sampled or live sampled?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 3, 2012 00:12

for $7 million a show, they cannot afford to sound like a 4 piece garage band.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 3, 2012 00:20

[www.terrylawless.com]

[www.terrylawless.com]

If I recall, at the Rose Bowl show they even introduced him (with a video of him sitting under stage). If that's the case, I would take it as full disclosure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 00:35 by BluzDude.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 3, 2012 01:48

trainarollin
for $7 million a show, they cannot afford to sound like a 4 piece garage band.
Well McCartney charges a pretty penny for a show. But his 5 piece still sounds tight without 15 additional musicians.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: January 3, 2012 02:20

mtaylor
McCartney commented: "When we make mistakes playing live, we always now turn it and say, ‘Tell you what – this proves we are live'."

Didn't he use a ton of auto-tune on his last live album?

I also don't understand why people who don't like U2 get so bent out of shape with them having musicians under the stage. If you don't like the band and their music, why do you even care?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 3, 2012 04:22

Someone mentioned Blondie playing electric... This has started bothering me to extreme measures on bootlegs from 2002 through 2006, especially on the B-stage. Maybe I need to downgrade my gear so that I don't notice this crap, but Blondie prettymuch plays only when Keith plays. Whether acoustic or electric (or acoustic driven into electric amp backstage), he is basically doubling Keith's guitar parts. This kills me on stuff like Brown Sugar where Ronnie and Keith are playing these cool parts and then you hear this magical non-existent 3rd guitar playing a muddy rhythm riff. The engineer purposely blends the guitar tones so that you don't hear distinct notes. I am a sound engineer and video producer by trade, so this kills me.

The other thing is the mix on the live broadcasts. If there was a way to apply for that position, I would do it in a heartbeat. I am so sick of these undefined mixes. The MSG HBO 2003 show, San Diego 1998 radio broadcast... They all pan the guitars about 30% left/right instead of 50-75% left and right (think Handsome Girls), and they always use WAY TOO MUCH CROWD NOISE. It makes for poor bass and guitar definition, meaning that mistakes are less noticeable. If they screw up, I don't care. I just want to hear the band, not the echo in Madison Square Garden.

FYI, if the Stones had me mixing their live broadcasts I would make every attempt to recreate the sound from Handsome Girls every night. Handsome Girls + more instruments = great soundscape!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 3, 2012 04:40

71Tele
I have a bit of a problem with anyone over the age of 25 calling himself "The Edge", but hey, that's just me...

Thank you, Thank you, Although I would pegged the number at 15.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 3, 2012 05:21

flacnvinyl-excellent analysis. i said the same thing when i watched a youtube video of "brown sugar" live and i was watching both KR and RW and was wondering who was playing the additional electric guitar in open g tuning. it was so obvious watching the youtube video titled "keith richards drunk on stage' . the mystery of the ghost guitar playing in open g tuning began.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 3, 2012 15:43

Doc
U2 have legions of fans because their lousy songs are overplayed on radio stations. In France, RTL2 plays an average of 1 U2 song every hour, for years. Not the new ones, but mostly singles from the 80ies + One.
If they played 1 Stones song every hour, during at least 5 years, there would be way more Stones fans in France.

Then perhaps you should contact the relevant radio stations and ask why they don't play more Stones? But the way you word it, it just sounds like sour grapes that a competitor band is getting airplay you feel should be devoted to the Stones.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:06

Father Ted
Doc

Then perhaps you should contact the relevant radio stations and ask why they don't play more Stones? But the way you word it, it just sounds like sour grapes that a competitor band is getting airplay you feel should be devoted to the Stones.

Quite a assumption there that radio play equals fans.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:18

Palace Revolution 2000
It's time to start loving U2 again. These guys have never been arrogant, seems like they have tried to be honest; they just provoke such venom in us.

But why do they provoke such venom, anybody know?

I've loved U2 from the first time I heard them. And Edge is one of the best guitarists of the past 30 years - distinctive sound, emotional playing, what more do you want? He's not Yngwie Malmsteen playing a million notes a minute, if that's what one means by technical proficiency. But Edge plays the RIGHT few notes - no more, no less (i.e. his solo on "New Year's Day").

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:53

Claire_M
Palace Revolution 2000
It's time to start loving U2 again. These guys have never been arrogant, seems like they have tried to be honest; they just provoke such venom in us.

I've loved U2 from the first time I heard them. And Edge is one of the best guitarists of the past 30 years - distinctive sound, emotional playing, what more do you want? He's not Yngwie Malmsteen playing a million notes a minute, if that's what one means by technical proficiency. But Edge plays the RIGHT few notes - no more, no less (i.e. his solo on "New Year's Day").
Just guessing. But I think a lot of the venom is caused by Bono. People aren't crazy about his pontificating and he is always a lightning rod for criticism.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 3, 2012 21:20

sweetcharmedlife
Claire_M
Palace Revolution 2000

Just guessing. But I think a lot of the venom is caused by Bono. People aren't crazy about his pontificating and he is always a lightning rod for criticism.

Good guess. Musically I don't think U2 has anything they should apologize for. But remember at some point even the band told Bono to can the chatter after the 1987 leg of the Joshua Tree tour. Some of his ramblings would last longer than the song they were meant to be playing...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 3, 2012 21:31

Bono seems good for the world?????????
hebetter share his millions with the poor people than, instead of blah blah blah all the time
dont get me wrong, ive been a u2 fan since 1980, not so much more the last albums though.
jeroen

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 3, 2012 21:51

71Tele
I have a bit of a problem with anyone over the age of 25 calling himself "The Edge", but hey, that's just me...

I dig you very much 71Tele, but don't u think you're being a teensy bit unfair - sometimes you get stuck with an ill-considered showbiz name, like Keith Richard or Little Richard, for that matter. The U2 boys were just kids when they made their first record - Edge was 18.

I don't mind what they call themselves, I'll always treasure their albums from Boy up to Achtung Baby. Their songwriting muse had sadly flown the coop, but they still put on a great live show and I believe they are sincere, lovely people. I honor the contribution they've made to music by being one of the few truly great modern rock bands that can be mentioned in the same paragraph with the icons (such as the Stones). They are the last rock band standing that can sell out stadiums around the world if I'm not mistaken.

Date: January 3, 2012 22:09

i actually like the album POP

Date: January 3, 2012 23:38

I like their music from 'Unforgettable' to 'All that you can leave..'
I think many like their best music alright.
It is Bono who just pisses people off. he pisses me off the most, when he is talking about how he knows that he is a tool, and is pissing everyone off.
And Edge while a very inventive guitarist, has got to be the most boring person alive.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home