Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Vocalists in the forum. How do you judge Mick's voice?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 7, 2011 00:42

DragonSky
Dirty Work is easily Mick's worst vocal performance for an album.

I think it's one of his best personally. Seriously. Mick's voice is the best thing about the album.

Date: November 7, 2011 00:43

StonesTod
burdon sings better these days than he did in his youth...i will not tolerate dissent on this point

Can you post some recent footage to prove your point?

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 7, 2011 00:46

I suppose in reality Mick has never had a great range if that's how you want to judge singers. However he's singing in blues and rock and to me that doesn't require a lot of range. Back in the 60's Mich had a great voice, a unique voice and almost everybody was trying to do Mick.

At some point, I don't quite remember when, Mick started doing Mick too and that's where he made his mistake. It seems he can't stop doing Mick because he's done it for so long now. It's a shame and sometimes he does seem to back off on it and then he sounds a lot better to me.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 00:47

Sleepy City
StonesTod
burdon sings better these days than he did in his youth...i will not tolerate dissent on this point

Can you post some recent footage to prove your point?

i don't post footage. and i don't foot postage.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: November 7, 2011 02:34

Eric Burdon, 2006:

Burdon 2008, no problems with the high notes that I can hear!

Not saying the arrangement is top - intro far too long, the whole thing a bit corny - but the pipes are still working fine IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 02:38 by otonneau.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: November 7, 2011 02:41

By ear, naturally.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 7, 2011 08:38

Yep, and Bobby Charlton has never been a better fotball player than he is nowadays...

Date: November 7, 2011 10:05

otonneau
Eric Burdon, 2006:

Burdon 2008, no problems with the high notes that I can hear!

Not saying the arrangement is top - intro far too long, the whole thing a bit corny - but the pipes are still working fine IMO.

OK, you win! He sounds great. smileys with beer

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 7, 2011 14:06

MJ is an ingenious, great blues singer, his voice has an eminent authenticity. You recognize him at once. MJ is no smooth, polished singer, but his broken voice shines also on many ballads. His voice needs a stern discipline, however. Without discipline he is the growling, howling, barking monster of the seventies (especially 75/76, the LA concerts are sometimes impertinent since his coke-chopped vocals ruined some songs completely.)

Date: November 7, 2011 14:09

Some singers are lucky to be born with a signature voice. Jagger was that fortunate, and he knows it very well. He could have gone the clever way about using it (taking lessongs, technique etc), but luckily he didn't do that until the 80s.

His raw way of singing has made his voice even more unique, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 14:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 7, 2011 14:16

DandelionPowderman
Some singers are lucky to be born with a signature voice. Jagger was that fortunate, and he knows it very well. He could have gone the clever way about using it (taking lessongs, technique etc), but luckily he didn't do that until the 80s.

His raw way of singing has made his voice even more unique, imo.

I agree...

intresting thread, Iggy pop stated recently that he cant reach as high as he did when he was younger,
but on the other hand his lower register is lower than ever...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:38

I cannot listen to Mick from 1988- now with one exception, some of the songs at the Toronto 1997 gig. Mick still can sing, probably very good even, but he just dont do it. He lacks soul for some reason. Maybe he doesnt want to be a rock star anymore? He was the best from the start to maybe 1978. He did some songs like Shattered in 1981. I think he was at his best and truest self in 1975. Fight me about this if you like but be prepared to argue, I have already explained why I regard 1975 as his best. In an older thread. smoking smiley

Date: November 7, 2011 15:50

Redhotcarpet
I cannot listen to Mick from 1988- now with one exception, some of the songs at the Toronto 1997 gig. Mick still can sing, probably very good even, but he just dont do it. He lacks soul for some reason. Maybe he doesnt want to be a rock star anymore? He was the best from the start to maybe 1978. He did some songs like Shattered in 1981. I think he was at his best and truest self in 1975. Fight me about this if you like but be prepared to argue, I have already explained why I regard 1975 as his best. In an older thread. smoking smiley

Stripped?

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 7, 2011 15:52

The problem with Mick is not the quality of his voice or notes, its what's underneath it. He can't connect anymore - well at least with myself. For example: Celine Dion has a great voice and what have you, but the energy or feeling she transmits is something dull and without substance - like a hollow ostrich egg. Mick's lost the blues, the soul and his own self for wanting to be up there with the commercial and artificial orbit.

Date: November 7, 2011 17:25

knockin' celine dion now??? i give up....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:08

I love Mick's mannerisms, now and then. The nasal quality to his voice gets better with time.

Mick's voice has never had the vulnerability/emotional power of a John Lennon. I think there's always been a slightly distant/pop singer quality to Mick's voice. Mick has always sounded in control. Mick never seems personally involved in a musical performance, or overwhelmed emotionally. I don't think the real Mick has a fragile emotional base to begin with, having grown up in a relatively middle class household with a good, secure family life. I think the appeal of his voice is confidence, with some humor. The darkness in the Stones' music has come from the instrumentation, starting with Brian's rhythm guitar playing and evolving to Bill's emotional bass playing and Keith's later playing. Mick does have emotional songs, but they always seem to have boundaries. Of course no one does lascivious like Mick.

Date: November 7, 2011 20:27

StonesTod
knockin' celine dion now??? i give up....

Or "Sea Lion Dying" as I prefer to call her... winking smiley

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:18

He has become a better singer down through the years. His voice is slowly going, but what else would you expect for someone approaching 70 years old? Overall, he is still damn good and should be fine at least through the 2015 concerts. After that it is anybody's guess.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:10

Loudei
The problem with Mick is not the quality of his voice or notes, its what's underneath it. He can't connect anymore - well at least with myself. For example: Celine Dion has a great voice and what have you, but the energy or feeling she transmits is something dull and without substance - like a hollow ostrich egg. Mick's lost the blues, the soul and his own self for wanting to be up there with the commercial and artificial orbit.

She's a Las Vegas act - has been for almost 10 years. She tried to come back to real life without succes, and returned quickly back to LV - where music isn't important, only money is.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 7, 2011 23:50

That's not true at all, 24FPS, if you listen to EXILE and especially " Let It Loose" you will see Mick balls to the wall, letting go totally. He can still deliver a song better than any vocalist that performs live today. His delivery is the thing. At times when he's bored, it shows and he will speak the lyrics or just mess up intentionally...I think he did that a lot during the '78 Some Girls era. When Mick wants to sing, like during the 2006 shows, he was amazing....I saw versions of " As Tears Go By" that would make a grown man cry! " Worried About You", the few times that I saw him sing it, he nailed the falsetto.
Even during the 1975 tour which many folks hated and I loved, when Mick sang " Angie" and " Wild Horses" the same night in Buffalo, Aug 8 to be exact, he was untouchable! His singing was like a prayer.

Date: November 8, 2011 00:00

mickschix
That's not true at all, 24FPS, if you listen to EXILE and especially " Let It Loose" you will see Mick balls to the wall, letting go totally. He can still deliver a song better than any vocalist that performs live today. His delivery is the thing. At times when he's bored, it shows and he will speak the lyrics or just mess up intentionally...I think he did that a lot during the '78 Some Girls era. When Mick wants to sing, like during the 2006 shows, he was amazing....I saw versions of " As Tears Go By" that would make a grown man cry! " Worried About You", the few times that I saw him sing it, he nailed the falsetto.
Even during the 1975 tour which many folks hated and I loved, when Mick sang " Angie" and " Wild Horses" the same night in Buffalo, Aug 8 to be exact, he was untouchable! His singing was like a prayer.

you're in love with him, aren't you?

Date: November 8, 2011 00:18

I still say we're very lucky. Dave Bartram of Showaddywaddy (a few years younger than Jagger) is retiring from the band next month after 38 years as lead singer; he's still in great physical shape (like Jagger he's always been a fitness fanatic into jogging etc), but check out what's left of his voice...

...and here's how he once sounded:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 00:24 by Sleepy City.

Date: November 8, 2011 01:06

You noticed, Stones Tod!? Gee, am I that obvious?? Joking! I know I have a hard time being objective but I TRY!! Didn't my post make sense though??

Date: November 8, 2011 01:17

yes it made total sense if you're head-over-heels in love with the guy. i wish you luck in your pursuit, too!

Date: November 8, 2011 01:21

So, you're on a Stones site and are you saying you see no value in the lead singer of the Rolling Stones' voice? How does THAT make sense? I really am not in hot pursuit of him, I think he's very happy these days with L'wren so I'm glad about that. Of course, I'm much more his type, but what's a girl to do? JOKING!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 8, 2011 01:31

mickschix
So, you're on a Stones site and are you saying you see no value in the lead singer of the Rolling Stones' voice? How does THAT make sense? I really am not in hot pursuit of him, I think he's very happy these days with L'wren so I'm glad about that. Of course, I'm much more his type, but what's a girl to do? JOKING!!!

LOL winking smiley.........I really want to see your picture ...so we can decide if your more his type

Date: November 8, 2011 01:44

Ask Gazza for my picture.He has it.

Date: November 8, 2011 02:24

mickschix
Ask Gazza for my picture.He has it.

not trying to start trouble, but gazza collects pictures....for what, i'm not sure...

Date: November 8, 2011 02:25

mickschix
So, you're on a Stones site and are you saying you see no value in the lead singer of the Rolling Stones' voice? How does THAT make sense?

i don't have any prob with his voice, per se; it's his singing that bothers me.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:23

Mick is/was perfect for the stones. That perfect mix of blues swagger with cockney British swish that created a unique voice for their music. Keith and Mick write with his voice in mind as well and it fits perfectly. Technically, he is not a great singer. Not a lot of range and not a lot of versatility across genres. But he is the only lead singer that would have fit for the Stones and helped create their iconic and unique sound. Mick's the man! Some of his best singing is on Exile. Let it Loose is his tour de force. Amazing.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home