Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Which one is better, Tattoo You or Some Girls?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2015 05:02

RCA Studios, Los Angeles in 1978 came away with these released songs:

Summer Romance
Tallahassee Lassie
The Harder They Come
Where The Boys Go

Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas, 1979, which included the following released songs:

All About You
I Think I’m Going Mad
Little T & A
She’s So Cold

The rest of the bulk of the ER sessions at Pathé Marconi Studios included these released songs:

Dance
Down In The Hole
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
Heaven
Indian Girl
Let Me Go
Neighbours
No Use In Crying
Send It To Me
Summer Romance
We Had It All
Where The Boys Go

While TATTOO YOU is nothing but a finishing of leftover tracks, UNDERCOVER is the proper follow up to EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

Date: July 4, 2015 05:08

I left out the first of the SOME GIRLS sessions, 1977, which included these released songs that did not appear on SOME GIRLS:

Start Me Up
Hang Fire
So Young
Don't Be A Stranger
Everything Is Turning To Gold
When You're Gone
You Win Again
Little T&A
Do You Think I Really Care
Black Limousine
Claudine

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 4, 2015 06:19

I want to thank you, GasLightStreet for that fine, detailed survey.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 06:24

Yes, thank you!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:30

Olly
nightskyman
Some Girls was the last in the 'canon' of great Rolling Stones albums. Anything after cannot be better than Some Girls.

I'd be curious to hear your reasoning behind this, nightskyman.

Song writing?

Playing proficiency?

Playing style(s)?

Cultural relevance?

Cultural assimilation?

All of those.

Look, I'm just going by what is memorable. 'Start Me Up' (on the Tattoo You album)is memorable and will be for a long, long time...but not the Tattoo You album itself. There's nothing distinctive on it except 'Start Me Up' and perhaps 'waiting on a friend,' but that's all. That's not to say it is a bad album or that I don't enjoy listening to it (it is definitely better than Emotional Rescue).

But by contrast the Some Girls album as a whole is highly memorable,at the time and long after. There are several memorable songs, and regarded as not only as a comeback but it put the Stones back on the map as a great rock and roll group(over punk rock attacks). In fact, it is typical of them to follow it up with a mediocre album (Emotional Rescue). It certainly sealed the Stones reputation, paving the way for more Stones albums and big lucrative world tours.

To conclude - Tattoo You is a good album which I like...just not as good Some Girls.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 13:43

I discovered the band in 1981 and Tattoo You has a special space in my heart. It is the beginning of a beautiful journey of discovery that is still going ongrinning smiley

Date: July 4, 2015 16:08

Witness

That's what you were talking about, right? They were quite prolific between 1977 and 1980... and there are still a ton of leftovers even.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 4, 2015 16:34

desertblues68
I discovered the band in 1981 and Tattoo You has a special space in my heart. It is the beginning of a beautiful journey of discovery that is still going ongrinning smiley

speaking of beautiful journey, don't stop believing my friend:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 4, 2015 16:55

Some Girls is that rare thing - a Stones' album that has not aged well, but still easily the better album of the two.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 4, 2015 17:06

GasLightStreet

Summer Romance
Tallahassee Lassie
The Harder They Come
Where The Boys Go

Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas, 1979, which included the following released songs:

All About You
I Think I’m Going Mad
Little T & A
She’s So Cold

The rest of the bulk of the ER sessions at Pathé Marconi Studios included these released songs:

Dance
Down In The Hole
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
Heaven
Indian Girl
Let Me Go
Neighbours
No Use In Crying
Send It To Me
Summer Romance
We Had It All
Where The Boys Go

While TATTOO YOU is nothing but a finishing of leftover tracks, UNDERCOVER is the proper follow up to EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

The Stones thought about releasing Emotional Rescue as a double album because they had so much material. Jagger said that in an interview from the time.

Date: July 4, 2015 17:08

stanlove
GasLightStreet

Summer Romance
Tallahassee Lassie
The Harder They Come
Where The Boys Go

All About You
I Think I’m Going Mad
Little T & A
She’s So Cold

Dance
Down In The Hole
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
Heaven
Indian Girl
Let Me Go
Neighbours
No Use In Crying
Send It To Me
Summer Romance
We Had It All
Where The Boys Go

The Stones thought about releasing Emotional Rescue as a double album because they had so much material. Jagger said that in an interview from the time.

I think that would have ended up a mess.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: July 4, 2015 17:18

Love both but TY is my fav…something about the whole band clicking and the overall mix and sound of the album….always my go to if you want to play a Stones album in its entirety

Date: July 4, 2015 20:08

GasLightStreet
Witness

That's what you were talking about, right? They were quite prolific between 1977 and 1980... and there are still a ton of leftovers even.

Yes, you are quite right. I see such lists on some occasions, but I have never stored them, like I ought to have done.

For instance, "Hang Fire" I have got on one out of a couple of old vinyl boots with studio outtakes, there in another version that I really appreciate, where I have to say that I am most frustrated by the TATTOO YOU version.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 4, 2015 23:55

Tattoo You is a compilation of leftovers, whereas Some Girls is a cohesive album. That said, TY flows quite nicely given its origins. However, Some Girls gets the nod: better songs on balance (though Start Me Up is the best song on both albums) and they sound so energized on the Jagger guitar rockers.

Date: July 5, 2015 06:17

Of both album my favourite tracks are:

When The Whip Comes Down
Faraway Eyes
Some Girls
Lies
Shattered
Hang Fire
Slave
Little T&A
Neighbours
Worried About You
Tops
No Use In Crying

Date: July 5, 2015 07:15

Witness
For instance, "Hang Fire" I have got on one out of a couple of old vinyl boots with studio outtakes, there in another version that I really appreciate, where I have to say that I am most frustrated by the TATTOO YOU version.

Is this one? AKA SOME GIRLS outtake...

[www.youtube.com]

Same one... better sound?

[www.youtube.com]

Clearly a more worked on version...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 5, 2015 07:33

treaclefingers
desertblues68

speaking of beautiful journey, don't stop believing my friend:

[www.youtube.com]

surely posting a journey song results in an automatic ban?

Date: July 5, 2015 11:54

GasLightStreet
Witness

Is this one? AKA SOME GIRLS outtake...

[www.youtube.com]

Same one... better sound?

[www.youtube.com]

Clearly a more worked on version...

[www.youtube.com]

The first one, even if I have not been able to decide if there is an identity or a strong likeness between that first one and my vinyl track.

Listening to this now, I wonder if SOME GIRLS could have been made even better. It has three great songs: "Miss You" (to me the song has always been great), "Far Away Eyes" (by the way, the "Truck Driver Blues" version on the vinyl boot, where I have got "Hang Fire" ) and "Shattered" in the order they appear. I don't even want to rank between them, but "Miss You probably is the greatest achievement, on par with much of the "Big Four albums". Then I think "Lies" and "Beast of Burden" are good. The title track, too. "When the Whip Comes Down" is more than OK, as well. As socalled key track, Keith's announcement, " Before They Make Me Run" is not to be touched. But "Respectable" replaced by something like the first version of "Hang Fire", preferably not much shortened, would have made SOME GIRLS hotter than it is and kept its vitality. And, a side motive, my impression of TATTOO YOU would most likely have been at least a little bettered.

Date: July 6, 2015 00:23

ab
Tattoo You is a compilation of leftovers, whereas Some Girls is a cohesive album. That said, TY flows quite nicely given its origins. However, Some Girls gets the nod: better songs on balance (though Start Me Up is the best song on both albums) and they sound so energized on the Jagger guitar rockers.

That's ridiculous. Start Me Up isn't even on both albums

Date: July 6, 2015 00:34

treaclefingers
ab

That's ridiculous. Start Me Up isn't even on both albums

you have to listen to both on balance, make sure your speakers have the L/R balance set perfectly and you'll hear it on both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 00:35 by Turner68.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home