Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Which one is better, Tattoo You or Some Girls?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:27

I don't get the hate for lies. While not the strongest track on the album, it fits in perfectly. Good playing by everyone in the band, fun lyrics, its catchy and has that really cool punchy ending. I think I said this exact same thing in another thread about this song, oh well.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:28

HearMeKnockin
LeonidP
LeonidP
Some Girls ... by far. And the Some Girls track is one of their all-time greats, imo.

I agree with you ... not even close. Tattoo You has great moments ... Start Me Up, Slave, Black Limo, Worried About You. But Some Girls is entirely great! Songs like Some Girls, Shattered, Beast, Respectable, Lies, Miss You blow away anything on TY.

Had to correct a small error on your post that suggested Lies was a good song... and I don't know if you noticed but you quoted your own post. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It's not an official vote for some girls until he replies a third time

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:28

Lies is a great rock song. Angry, bitter, and full of attitude. Great guitars, backing vocals and some great angry singing from Jagger. I dig it! Fits with Some Girls perfectly!

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:29

whitem8
Lies is a great rock song. Angry, bitter, and full of attitude. Great guitars, backing vocals and some great angry singing from Jagger. I dig it! Fits with Some Girls perfectly!

I respect your opinion... but when Lies comes on I hit skip.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:34

whitem8
Some Girls was a concentrated artistic statement. New material with the band playing it to the hilt. A collaborative creative endeavor, from the artwork, backing vocals, to the production. The songs were an explosion of creativity, which came seemingly out of nowhere. New York oozes out of the pores of Some Girls. With slashing guitars, biting lyrics, gallows humor, and some of Jagger's strongest vocals.
Tattoo You is good, but it is a hodgepodge of older songs, with a few newer songs thrown in. Jagger was steering this ship, and not a lot of collaboration like Some Girls. And the production is too bright, and crisp. There are some great songs on TTY, but Some Girls is a far more cohesive statement of rock n' roll.

Spot on! (Except for the production of ty being too bright and crisp). I think they did a great job of mixing the songs from the different sessions and giving them a consistent sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 03:38 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:58

SG by a bra strap

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 28, 2015 06:39

ryanpow
I don't get the hate for lies....fun lyrics, its catchy and has that really cool punchy ending...

Nor I, but some just don't like it. It's so good though - and yes, I love that ending!

Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: June 28, 2015 07:02

Some Girls by a country mile...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2015 03:17

ryanpow
I don't get the hate for lies. While not the strongest track on the album, it fits in perfectly. Good playing by everyone in the band, fun lyrics, its catchy and has that really cool punchy ending. I think I said this exact same thing in another thread about this song, oh well.

Lies is a THOUSAND times, even a MILLION times, better than Respectable.

Date: June 29, 2015 03:21

whitem8
Some Girls was a concentrated artistic statement. New material with the band playing it to the hilt. A collaborative creative endeavor, from the artwork, backing vocals, to the production. The songs were an explosion of creativity, which came seemingly out of nowhere. New York oozes out of the pores of Some Girls. With slashing guitars, biting lyrics, gallows humor, and some of Jagger's strongest vocals.
Tattoo You is good, but it is a hodgepodge of older songs, with a few newer songs thrown in. Jagger was steering this ship, and not a lot of collaboration like Some Girls. And the production is too bright, and crisp. There are some great songs on TTY, but Some Girls is a far more cohesive statement of rock n' roll.

Ah, someone sums it up. With one point that is skewed: SOME GIRLS is too bright and crisp, TATTOO YOU is big, fat and full sounding. Where as TATTOO YOU is only leftover songs, SOME GIRLS is still a great album of concept, new songs and attitude, it's bizarrely just not as good as TATTOO YOU. But in the stance that you worded it? Certainly SOME GIRLS is a better true album.

But overall... TATTOO YOU is their best LP since (enter EOMS or similar Big 4 LP title here) and nothing has surpassed it nor will.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 29, 2015 03:37

GasLightStreet

But overall... TATTOO YOU is their best LP since (enter EOMS or similar Big 4 LP title here) and nothing has surpassed it nor will.

You are sitting on the fence: which of the 'Big 4 LP titles' is Tattoo You the best since?

Olly.

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 29, 2015 05:24

Some Girls is much better. It captures a vibe of the times.

Date: June 29, 2015 17:53

Olly
GasLightStreet

You are sitting on the fence: which of the 'Big 4 LP titles' is Tattoo You the best since?

Since The Big 4... how is that sitting on the fence? What's the last of The Big 4? That is what since says. Enter EOMS or similar ie one of The Big 4 here is... one of The Big 4.

Maybe I should've only said The Big 4.

Date: June 29, 2015 21:53

GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet

Since The Big 4... how is that sitting on the fence? What's the last of The Big 4? That is what since says. Enter EOMS or similar ie one of The Big 4 here is... one of The Big 4.

Maybe I should've only said The Big 4.

No worries, thanks for responding.

Because you said Exile or one of the other 'Big 4' it was ambiguous.

For instance, if Let It Bleed was inserted in place of Exile, as you suggest it could be, that would mean you thought Tattoo You better than Sticky Fingers and Exile.

So yes, you should simply have said 'The Big 4'. winking smiley

Olly.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 1, 2015 06:20

Hmmmm....this question is an exercise in hairsplitting, nothing else.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:43

Never been a fan of SOME GIRLS! Way too rushed, too frantic, a clash of sound...IMO Tattoo You is a great album, way too over-looked! It has a certain Stones style that is not a copy of another type of music like SG is...the Stones copied punk in SG and I never enjoyed PUNK!

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:34

You have got to be kidding.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 1, 2015 23:42

Some Girls is better, but I'd much rather listen to TY, if that makes sense.

Date: July 2, 2015 17:21

StonesCat
Some Girls is better, but I'd much rather listen to TY, if that makes sense.

It makes sound sense.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:54

To me SOME GIRLS is one of the band's approximately 12 great albums. Also to me, TATTOO YOU is not.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 3, 2015 01:10

It depends on how old you are which album you prefer. If you're under 45, you will love SG, if you're 45+ you'll favor Tattoo You. SG is very influenced by the punk movement. Mick rushes through the songs like it's a race to the finish line. T Y has more melodic songs, " Worried About You " is a classic example of how great Mick's falsetto can be...awesome LIVE too! If you're not a fan of Stones ballads, you may not enjoy TY but I love " Tops", " Heaven" and " No Use In Crying" along with " Worried About You". And KEITH FANS must LOVE " Little T&A"...I do too! I wonder why he rarely plays this in his mini set!

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: July 3, 2015 13:34

whitem8
Some Girls by leaps and bounds. Far more dangerous a record. More attitude, and less polished production. The band made a cohesive statement with all NEW material. Ron's finest moment with The Stones.
Tattoo You is ok. Too slick for me, and too many throwaway songs. And it collapses from the weight of the 80's production. Start Me Up...never thought it was a great song. Ok, but not the hard edged Stones I loved on Some Girls. Some Girls is more apocalyptic with punk New York and Curtis Mayfield funk overtones. And guitars. Glorious guitars up front in the mix. Their last masterpiece.

I like your description.

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: July 3, 2015 14:12

SG is among my fave Stones albums.
I love Lies and Respectable... both have such good lyrics.
It's a raw and aggressive album with alot of angst and creative jism.
Feeling like they recorded it all together live to tape. Interesting that the hit was Miss You, which was pensive and could have fit well on Tattoo.

TY has a more pensive sound overall, feeling very overdubbed and more contemplated, except ironically for the hit SMU which is like a song from Girls.

The New York flavored sax on TY is annoying, and the softer synth-sounding keyboard layering is less energetic throughout, but I do like the experimental vibe of TY however. I hate the drum mix on Neighbors, and the 80s chorusy guitar on Waitin on a Friend is like a wet blanket on a great song.

I would love to hear a remixed TY.

And SMU is so simplistic lyrically, like they made a trite JJF.

For me, Some Girls was the end of one era, the youthful exuberance of their 30s. Tattoo was the beginning of their wealthy, self-indulgent, planned and plotted 40s, which morphed again with Bridges to Babylon and new freedoms.

What is next to rescue us from the wilderness of them having too much back catalog in the vaults, not enough time to hang and write, and a need to embrace something that captures their essence now?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 3, 2015 14:39

I prefer Emotional Rescue, in my opinion ER is a great job, almost perfect, but unfortunately underestimated.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 3, 2015 20:53

some girls

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 3, 2015 22:00

Some Girls was the last in the 'canon' of great Rolling Stones albums. Anything after cannot be better than Some Girls.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 22:02 by nightskyman.

Date: July 3, 2015 22:31

nightskyman
Some Girls was the last in the 'canon' of great Rolling Stones albums. Anything after cannot be better than Some Girls.

I'd be curious to hear your reasoning behind this, nightskyman.

Song writing?

Playing proficiency?

Playing style(s)?

Cultural relevance?

Cultural assimilation?

Olly.

Date: July 3, 2015 23:40

nightskyman

All the following, in my opinion, yes, but with a presumption to propose a canonical verdict:

SOME GIRLS is the album that starts the 4th golden period of the band, comprising three of four consecutive studio albums, controversially most probably, not including the argueably more backwardlooking TATTOO YOU. In one perspective, also in my estimation EMOTIONAL RESCUE as musical creation surpasses SOME GIRLS and in its turn, more slightly, UNDERCOVER surpasses EMOTIONAL RESCUE. On the other hand, SOME GIRLS is the album of the three with the clearly greatest career redefining capacity at the critical time for the career of the Rolling Stones, when the second major wave of rock music, widely understood, from the '60s, was confronted with a major third wave, consisting of punk and "new wave" at the spearhead. In contrast, the reserved reception of UNDERCOVER made for an important halt of creativity of the band at a new critical point in time during the development of a split between a commercial "overground" and an "underground" of separate independent scenes.

This period's claim to be a golden one for the Stones may be sought both by virtue of the strength of those albums and by some unity in approach between the said albums.

Date: July 3, 2015 23:47

Witness
nightskyman

All the following, in my opinion, yes, but with a presumption to propose a canonical verdict:

SOME GIRLS is the album that starts the 4th golden period of the band, comprising three of four consecutive studio albums, controversially most probably, not including the argueably more backwardlooking TATTOO YOU. In one perspective, also in my estimation EMOTIONAL RESCUE as musical creation surpasses SOME GIRLS and in its turn, more slightly, UNDERCOVER surpasses EMOTIONAL RESCUE. On the other hand, SOME GIRLS is the album of the three with the clearly greatest career redefining capacity at the critical time for the career of the Rolling Stones, when the second major wave of rock music, widely understood, from the '60s, was confronted with a major third wave, consisting of punk and "new wave" at the spearhead. In contrast, the reserved reception of UNDERCOVER made for an important halt of creativity of the band at a new critical point in time during the development of a split between a commercial "overground" and an "underground" of separate independent scenes.

This period's claim to be a golden one for the Stones may be sought both by virtue of the strength of those albums and by some unity in approach between the said albums.

This certainly expands on my mention of cultural relevance and cultural assimilation of the band and their output at this time.

So is it these cultural ties that characterise the 'unity in approach'?

Four albums that are every bit "a product of their time"?

Olly.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:12

3 out of 4 albums.

The important missing link in what I wrote, is the result of my incomplete knowledge: Exactly which songs that were recorded in the Pathe Marconi studios in Paris, which in a studio in Bahamas ( I have forgotten the name of it) , and which in other studios. I must appeal for supplementary information from other posters.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home