Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 14, 2016 09:18

RockinJive
Come On

You post a lot of crap

...and you're as open-minded as a bat...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 14, 2016 09:58

Come On
RockinJive
Come On

You post a lot of crap

...and you're as open-minded as a bat...
For a moment i dyslexically thought you wrote "open-minded as a hat" ...

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 11:38

I prefer the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 11:44 by Socrates1.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 14, 2016 16:50

I do not like green eggs and ham

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 14, 2016 18:31

roller99
Led Zeppelin is the most sued band in the history of rock. Plant himself has admitted to plagarizing songs that "were so far in the past, who would know"? Even if they didn't rip Spirit off (which I think they did), the fact that they blatantly tried to get away with this with more than a dozen songs is reason enough to hope they lose the case. Everyone used to say "Jimmy Page's satanism cast a dark cloud over the band". What a pile of crap, It was just bad karma for stealing songs. If Page has to bust out his guitar in court, it will be his first public performance since the Jeff Beck induction at The Rock Hall.

Maybe it takes a court order to get Page to play in public.....

Maybe if the hearing gets intense he could break out the violin bow for a little comic relief. Always made me chuckle.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 18:37 by stanlove.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 14, 2016 18:46

jambay

try it try it and you may

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 14, 2016 19:04

I wouldn't be surprised if the plaintiff will win this lawsuit, however my bet is on an out - of - court settlement before things start to get really wrong for Led Zeppelin.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 14, 2016 19:13

W ell it took 28 years to deal fully with the My Sweet Lord case, so could be a long wait!

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 14, 2016 21:09

ash
jambay

try it try it and you may

Say!... I do like green eggs and ham!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 14:23

It's a whole lot of bullshite with all this plagiarism.

As we all know, well at least some of us, there are only 12 notes in the musical alphabet and the number of chords is limited as well. So over more than 100 years everything has been there in one way or another.

Satisfaction is a simple blues rhythmicaly changed though.

[www.youtube.com]

[news.sky.com]

As Zep said in Stairway to heaven:

"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all, yeah
To be a rock and not to roll"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 14:24 by Roadster32.

Date: April 15, 2016 23:44

Then there's times here the ripoff is obvious, but you STILL want to go with the supposed culprit. E.g. "Bittersweet Symphony". Yes, this was obviously taken from that Stones-owned song. But it was made into a beautiful song by Ashcroft.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2016 23:04

Roadster32

As Zep said in Stairway to heaven:

"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all, yeah
To be a rock and not to roll"

Plant should be trialed too : writing such cheesy awful lyrics... Isn't there a law against this? confused smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 17, 2016 12:37

Palace Revolution 2000
Then there's times here the ripoff is obvious, but you STILL want to go with the supposed culprit. E.g. "Bittersweet Symphony". Yes, this was obviously taken from that Stones-owned song. But it was made into a beautiful song by Ashcroft.

Indeed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:38

The latest...(I also read somewhere else that Page and Plant are being ordered by the court to testify in person).

A Legacy Tarnished?

In the wake of allegations that Led Zeppelin plagiarized “Stairway To Heaven,” far more sinister claims are being made by the estate of Spirit guitarist Randy California – but this time, the evidence against Led Zeppelin is pretty damning.

According to court paperwork from lawyers for the litigating estate of Randy California, both Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have both openly admitted to stealing music on multiple occasions, in verified comments. The comments are being used to prove that Led Zeppelin had a “repeated history of content infringement and blatant plagiarism,” thus giving weight to the case brought forth by California’s estate regarding whether or not 1971’s “Stairway To Heaven” was plagiarized from Spirit’s 1968 song “Taurus”.

The Smoking Gun

“I think when Willie Dixon turned on the radio in Chicago twenty years after he wrote his blues, he thought, ‘That’s my song [Whole Lotta Love].’ … When we ripped it off, I said to Jimmy, ‘Hey, that’s not our song.’ And he said, ‘Shut up and keep walking.’”

Robert Plant, as quoted by Barney Hoskyns, “Led Zeppelin IV,” p.42 (Rodale 2006).

“I think in most cases, you would never know what the original source could be. Maybe not in every case– but in most cases. So most of the comparisons rest on the lyrics. And Robert was supposed to change the lyrics, and he didn’t always do that– which is what brought on most of the grief. They couldn’t get us on the guitar parts of the music, but they nailed us on the lyrics.”

Jimmy Page’s 1993 interview with Guitar World entered into evidence.

Now it isn’t just “Stairway To Heaven” being called into question – it’s other key songs in Led Zeppelin’s legacy, too. Court documents show that songs like “Dazed and Confused,” “Whole Lotta Love,” and “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” were most likely taken and dishonestly claimed by the band as their own without proper songwriting credit being given to the original artists.

Wow…this is heavy. Attorneys for Led Zeppelin are fighting to keep the evidence from being used in the upcoming May 10th trial, but in the meantime, what does this mean for the band’s legacy?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:49

What about bands who have ripped off Led Zep tunes?
What goes round, comes around.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:53

Palace Revolution 2000

That was a joke. the Stones deserved nothing

Date: April 21, 2016 19:09

jlowe

I've always thought the driving rhythm/beat of Heart's Barracuda has a resemblance to Achilles Last Stand, but could it legally be considered a rip off Led Zeppelin?

Can you give some examples of what you think is a ripoff?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 21:15

Hairball
jlowe

I've always thought the driving rhythm/beat of Heart's Barracuda has a resemblance to Achilles Last Stand, but could it legally be considered a rip off Led Zeppelin?

Watch part one of Everything is a Remix.

Date: April 22, 2016 01:13

camper88
Hairball
jlowe

Watch part one of Everything is a Remix.

Right - I'm familiar with all the Zep plagiarism.

While the vid did mention groups like "Aerosmith, Heart, and Boston" and the '80's heavy metal craze 'copying' Zeppelin, it gave no specific song examples.
And aside from the Heart tune I mentioned, I can't think of any by the above bands or any others for that matter.

*The vid does mention the drumbeat to When the Levee Breaks being sampled (which is indeed a ripoff), but that's a bit different than copying a song nearly note for note.

Date: April 22, 2016 01:48

Hairball

Hairball
The vid does mention the drumbeat to When the Levee Breaks being sampled (which is indeed a ripoff), but that's a bit different than copying a song nearly note for note.

But still, as you yourself point out, samples that are examples of a rip off, yes?

Date: April 22, 2016 02:16

camper88
Hairball

Hairball
The vid does mention the drumbeat to When the Levee Breaks being sampled (which is indeed a ripoff), but that's a bit different than copying a song nearly note for note.

But still, as you yourself point out, samples that are examples of a rip off, yes?

Yes, a sample is indeed a ripoff.
But to be clear, I was thinking more along the lines of copying a song note for note which I assumed jlowe was referring to (though perhaps I was wrong assuming that).
As for the video, wondering what examples he had in mind when he mentioned Aerosmith, Heart, Boston, and 80's metal bands copying Led Zeppelin songs.
Again, I can only come up with the Heart tune, but even that's not note for note and probably couldn't be called plagiarism and/or grounds for a lawsuit.

Date: April 22, 2016 03:06

Hairball

As for the video, wondering what examples he had in mind when he mentioned Aerosmith . . . copying Led Zeppelin [/quote]

Hmmm . . .

Everything's a remix.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: April 22, 2016 03:42

Haha come on that's stretching it a bit. You should have added Def Leppards logo where the singer said he specifically copied Led Zeppelins logo when he was a teenager.

But AGAIN - I was referring to sepecific songs the video dude mentioned as far as copying goes...or maybe was he referring logo's?. haha

At any rate, as the old saying goes - there's nothing new under the sun...

Date: April 22, 2016 03:49

I take it that you don't work in branding or business strategy?
There's nothing accidental about the choices that these bands made with their logos.

you're Mick Jagger

Date: April 22, 2016 05:00

No I don't work in branding or business strategy, and never claimed it was accidental about the choices that these bands made with their logos.
To be very clear, I wasn't referring to copying logos - or hairstyle, or clothing, etc., for that matter, and I don't think the video dude or jlowe was either (but again, I could wrong).
With that aside, I was simply asking about any songs by any band that have copied Led Zeppelin note for note (not including drum beat samples) that might be lawsuit worthy .
Can you think of any?

edit - just watched the video again from the 5:30 mark on and perhaps video dude was referring to copying logos,
but it get a bit confusing when he adds in the '80s heavy metal craze copying Zeppelin.
Now wondering, in what ways did the '80s heavy metal craze copy Led Zeppelin...was it certain band logo's? Hairstyle? Clothing? Or the music in general?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 05:13 by Hairball.

Date: April 22, 2016 06:02

Hairball
I was simply asking about any songs by any band that have copied Led Zeppelin note for note (not including drum beat samples) that might be lawsuit worthy .

Didn't notice that you had excluded drum beat samples. I misread your earlier post where you say "Can you give some examples of what you think is a ripoff?"

Drum beats and logos are rip-offs to me.

Sorry I misunderstood what you wrote.

you're Mick Jagger

Date: April 22, 2016 07:05

camper88
Hairball
I was simply asking about any songs by any band that have copied Led Zeppelin note for note (not including drum beat samples) that might be lawsuit worthy .

Didn't notice that you had excluded drum beat samples. I misread your earlier post where you say "Can you give some examples of what you think is a ripoff?"

Drum beats and logos are rip-offs to me.

Sorry I misunderstood what you wrote.

No apologies necessary, I think you read it right (I didn't exclude drum beats in original question).

But reading back, I originally asked the above question to jlowe who asked "What about bands who have ripped off Led Zep tunes"? I suppose a drum beat could be considered a 'tune' (?), but I was referring to entire songs. So aside from the resemblance of Heart's 'Barracuda' mentioned (which I don't think is lawsuit worthy), I'm trying to think of other songs that may have 'ripped off' Zeppelin.
I'm not doubting there is, just can't think of any.

Wait - I remember '80s hard rock band Triumph had a singer/guitarist who kind of sounded like Plant (or Geddy Lee) and played a double neck guitar...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:15

IMHO, Stairway does sound an awful lot like the Spirit song. Robert's lyrics (and Jimmy's solo) take it to another place.

Also, Heart's "Love Alive" follows a similar structure to Stairway, but different chords, lyrics, etc. - more a tribute than a rip-off.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 23, 2016 13:51

Palace Revolution 2000
Then there's times here the ripoff is obvious, but you STILL want to go with the supposed culprit. E.g. "Bittersweet Symphony".
Yes, this was obviously taken from that Stones-owned song. But it was made into a beautiful song by Ashcroft.

ABKCO-owned. The Stones didn't have anything to do with that lawsuit.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: April 23, 2016 16:56

Greed
The more money there is at stake the more lies, deceit, and corruption you will see.

grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home