Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:07

The song has passages very similar to Stairway. Spirit opened for Zepplin and
played the tune in their set. Zepplin has "borrowed" from several other artists over the years and copy written these tunes using their own names. This seems to
be the case with Stairway as well.

In my opinion, Page and Plant are making immature poor excuses to dispel the facts. My opinion,is they are guilty and will be found so in the jury trial. I would think a jury trial would be their worst nightmare.

This is just my opinion and I know only what I have read regarding this case and
zep's past apparent disregard of crediting additional song writers.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:13

No one with a bigger picture view should be seeing this as a direct steel from Taurus.

Page's best defense is that the chord progression is as old as the hills and has been used on thousands of pieces of music. The little distinctive licks which separate it from the basic partial chord sequence of Taurus seem to have come via Davey Graham.

The world of copyright is such a joke! Basically, this is like trying to claim copyright for a 12 bar blues chord progression. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-12 18:15 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:31

The similarities are indeed there, but I would have never known before this case started making the news.
Not saying Spirit is a forgettable band (I think my older brother had one of their albums back in the day), but the only song I know by them is 'Got a Line on You' which is indeed a classic.

All Jimmy has to do is give a live demonstration in the courthouse,and the jury will be mesmerized resulting in a win for Zep....or maybe not...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:34

Hairball
The similarities are indeed there, but I would have never known before this case started making the news.
Not saying Spirit is a forgettable band (I think my older brother had one of their albums back in the day), but the only song I know by them is 'Got a Line on You' which is indeed a classic.

All Jimmy has to do is give a live demonstration in the courthouse,and the jury will be mesmerized resulting in a win for Zep....or maybe not...

Play them the Davey Graham - Cry Me A River clip... then they can maybe get sued by his estate instead. grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 12, 2016 18:45

His Majesty
Hairball

Play them the Davey Graham - Cry Me A River clip... then they can maybe get sued by his estate instead. grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

If this is played (which it should be), Page can demonstrate that Randy California ripped off Davey Graham first haha...and/or the Graham estate will sue both Randy California AND Zeppelin!
The resulting quagmire in the courtroom will result in complete confusion and the case will be thrown out.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 12, 2016 19:28

Come On
More Hot Rocks
Come On
Intro to Zeppelins Stairway to Heaven vs. McCartneys Blackbird

Blackbird by miles

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

confused smiley Eeehhh taste in Music or something...

I don't get it either. This topic has to do with led Zeppelin Plagarism.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 12, 2016 20:50

His Majesty
Hairball

[www.youtube.com]

Great find....for sure there are some 1600/1700 composers out there with similarities..............

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 01:05

Hairball

Some of Spirit's stuff is terrific - If you only buy one, buy the 12 Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2016 09:16

Herald Sun - 13 April 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 13, 2016 09:30

Rockman

Now 2016? When Harrison stole the tunes for My Sweet Lord they sued him right away...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 13, 2016 10:17

The timing on this deal is weird and I have mixed emotions about it.

It seems Randy knew for a long long time while he was alive and he let it be.
But maybe he was paid off under the table to let it be... I dont know...

But at this point it appears t o be nothing but money grubbing from his estate yadda yadda...

I am kind of surprised, but not stunned, that the case is finally being heard (but I would be very unsurprised to learn it is more due to favors, blackmail or bags of money than merits of this situation). On the other hand it seems Zep did borrow a lot of sounds from a lot of people and places, so maybe them finally paying the piper is... then again... I don't know.

It might be interesting to read about all of this in 20-30 years when maybe all of the principals are gone and maybe people will tell what was really going on.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 13, 2016 10:25

jambay
The timing on this deal is weird and I have mixed emotions about it.

It seems Randy knew for a long long time while he was alive and he let it be.
But maybe he was paid off under the table to let it be... I dont know...

But at this point it appears t o be nothing but money grubbing from his estate yadda yadda...

Methinks the family heard about the Pharell Williams trial...
[www.theguardian.com]

7.4M for a "tiny" song that's already forgotten. Imagine what could be cashed in with an anthemic song like STH.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 15:51

Rockman

Damn, I want to know more about the Ice Queen's empire. That's looks like a story worth following.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 13, 2016 15:56

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 16:22

Seems like a pretty obvious rip off, or inspiration at least, and they should have given credit. This is the area with Zep that has them on shaky ground as they have done this numerous times. I love Zep's music, but I have no illusion that a lot of it was a riff off of something they heard before. Those Youtube plagiarism is pretty compelling stuff.

Date: April 13, 2016 17:13

whitem8
Seems like a pretty obvious rip off, or inspiration at least, and they should have given credit. This is the area with Zep that has them on shaky ground as they have done this numerous times. I love Zep's music, but I have no illusion that a lot of it was a riff off of something they heard before. Those Youtube plagiarism is pretty compelling stuff.
thumbs up
Those Youtube comparison plagiarism videos surprised me when I gave them a listen a couple of years ago.

I always wondered how (or thought maybe they are just smarter than most rock bands) they were able to come up with so much ( I think ) non-standard 12bar 16bar etc blues based rock stuff that most other band were playing. Zep seemed outside the box and I still like their style of rock and roll, but it appears they borrowed heavily, and I am not sure I have a problem with that... then again maybe I should.

But why wait so long to allow this to go forward? I can the money grubbers trying to go for it (esp with other recent successful lawsuits), but for the courts to allow it now? Isn't it something like 45 years since STH was released? And didn't Randy had 25 years to sue before he passed and never did?

It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but Page/Plant should probably get ready to pay some money...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:52

Hairball

If he plays it to the Jury will he get more performance royalties?
By the way, one article on the case says that Stairway has generated income in the region of 525 million dollars.
I find that hard to believe.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:58

Come On

You post a lot of crap

Date: April 13, 2016 18:13

As an aside... if one has never looked up and poked around the history of Peter Grant and his role in Led Zeppelin it is interesting to read about his influence on the business of rock and roll touring which I think is still felt today. I think he was an equal partner when it came to dividing up Led Zeppelin tour money and he ruled with an iron fist to protect the LZ brand.

I wonder with a smirk if this case would have even gotten out of the thinking process if Grant was still around and paid a visit or two to the people who are behind this, not that he would ever threaten to beat the shit out of anybody... but... maybe he is one of the reasons this case was never filed back in the day.

Of course that is all pure speculation and me just wondering a bit about the what and why regarding the timing of this lawsuit.

Anyway... if one hasn't read up on Peter Grant it might be worth a look, his story might be movie worthy, it seems there was quite a bit of drama, good times, bad times, legend and lore. (heck that could be the movie title)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 18:14 by jambay.

Date: April 14, 2016 00:38

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2016 00:42

Damn, I want to know more about the Ice Queen's empire. That's looks like a story worth following.

Here ya go man ... hope it makes you a happy camper ...hhhheee

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2016 00:45

Date: April 14, 2016 00:50

Yes jam they breed the crims tuff down here ....hhhhaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2016 00:52

grinning smiley

Date: April 14, 2016 02:58

I haven't kept up with the Phil Rudd saga (I don't even know if he's in jail), but something tells me he might have been one of the prison escapees?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 14, 2016 06:51

I think this is great!!! Hopefully they will have to pay millions, then Robert will decide they better tour to make up for the lost revenue grinning smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 14, 2016 07:19

I doubt Jimmy would be allowed to play the tune live in court. They probably
should have settled this out of court. Where they not simply asking for a cowriting credit and not cash? Apparently they were allowed to file suit after
all these years due to the remastered reissue which came out in 2014ish.

Date: April 14, 2016 07:44

I think this is such a joke. It is too bad that it happens to concern Led Zep who really do have a checkered history when it comes to giving credit where credit is due.
But the 'Stairway' claim IMO is crap. If I was listening to the Spirit song, ( and I have in the past), I would probably idly notice a certain resemblance. as in "oh there's that A minor thing again" but I wouldn't think "Oh Led Zep stole that song!" And yes there is some similarity, but if they are getting technical Spirit does throw in a major chord in a crucial spot where LZ has a minor.

And even if...Spirit certainly didn't create a song that became one of the biggest rock anthems. This is why I have no time for statements like Bill Wyman crying "I wrote the riff to JJF".It takes visionaries like Mick and Keith to make this riff a monster rocker. What would Bill (had he even written it) ever have done with this riff? It would never have left his quiet piano tinkling. What did Spirit ever do with this chord progression? It remained just this: a noodled progression, played this way, and then maybe that way.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 08:05

Led Zeppelin is the most sued band in the history of rock. Plant himself has admitted to plagarizing songs that "were so far in the past, who would know"? Even if they didn't rip Spirit off (which I think they did), the fact that they blatantly tried to get away with this with more than a dozen songs is reason enough to hope they lose the case. Everyone used to say "Jimmy Page's satanism cast a dark cloud over the band". What a pile of crap, It was just bad karma for stealing songs. If Page has to bust out his guitar in court, it will be his first public performance since the Jeff Beck induction at The Rock Hall.

Maybe it takes a court order to get Page to play in public.....

Date: April 14, 2016 08:20

swimtothemoon
I doubt Jimmy would be allowed to play the tune live in court. They probably
should have settled this out of court. Where they not simply asking for a cowriting credit and not cash? Apparently they were allowed to file suit after
all these years due to the remastered reissue which came out in 2014ish

haven't heard that and doubt that is true. as long as someone holds a copyright they can sue whenever they want. the case was also filed before zeppelin 4 was re-released

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 08:22 by keefriffhard4life.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home