Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rockpile
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 4, 2011 00:30

Any fans of Rockpile out there ?? I loved these guys-- Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams-- only one official studio album ( Seconds of Pleasure ) but were the band on most solo albums from Edmunds and Lowe throughout the latter 70's and early 80's...plus backing Carlene Carter on the fantastic "Musical Shapes" from 1981....AND an incredible live act for years... just picked up a new release on Eagle Records "Rockpile Live in Montreaux 1980"
wonderfrul stuff ! Check it out !

Re: OT: Rockpile
Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 4, 2011 01:02

I got the Montreaux set a month ago. It's about time there was a proper live document of Rockpile!

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 4, 2011 01:17

Dig them alot and wish I could have seen them when they were together. For those of you who haven't heard it, here is a clip with Keith sitting in with them. A classic rock and roll moment!

Keith and Rockpile

Date: October 4, 2011 01:24

And here is Nick Lowe's account of the aforementioned meeting: Keith meets Rockpile

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 4, 2011 05:49

Rockpile's great recordings are Lowe and Edmund's solo LPs of that era -- their one album didn't have the good songs. But what a great band. Saw them open for Blondie once and thought they blew Blondie off the stage; not so much that Blondie sucked but that Rockpile was so good, Of course only a handful of us realized it!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: October 4, 2011 10:43

Alright lads, a bit of discrepancy here with the year, who can clear it up? Lowe states 79 in his article, the YouTube video states 78. I say 78, because of the info shown in the YouTube video, and Lowe's stating Kieth being fresh from the clink, so to speak, in Toronto. So Lowe must be confused. The benefit concert was in 79, but he didn't spend any time in custody then, only in 78.

I know this may be obvious to some, but the seed of doubt has been planted, and left me wondering for sure. So what year is it?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 4, 2011 12:14

Any fans of Rockpile out there ??

Yep, a fan here...traditional english Pub-rockers is always welcome guests on my Stereo and also worth to watch live....I went to one of their concerts 1980...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 4, 2011 15:55

I'd recommend folks to check out the Dave Edmunds album "Repeat When Necessary"
This is from just around/jusu after the Rockpile era if memory serves .
Albert Lee's guitar on Sweet Little Lisa is one of the most spine tingle inducing solos I've ever heard on record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-04 15:55 by Spud.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 4, 2011 16:54

a fan.

nice broadcast boot circulates of the rockpile show where keef showed up after getting back to nyc after the toronto fiasco...he lets it rock....

Date: October 4, 2011 18:44

I have a portion of the the Rockpile gig with Keith on a vinyl boot leg but not the complete show. Lowe mentions that Keith played another song with them but I don't know what it is or even if he really did. Anyone know for sure? Though I never saw Rockpile, I did see Dave Edmunds twice in the early '80s in San Francisco at the Old Waldorf. Great shows both of them!

Date: October 4, 2011 18:49

Stones62
I have a portion of the the Rockpile gig with Keith on a vinyl boot leg but not the complete show. Lowe mentions that Keith played another song with them but I don't know what it is or even if he really did. Anyone know for sure? Though I never saw Rockpile, I did see Dave Edmunds twice in the early '80s in San Francisco at the Old Waldorf. Great shows both of them!

i believe both early and late shows circulate in complete form...keith only played the one song on the late show

Date: October 4, 2011 18:50

I saw Rockpile in I think 1980. Anyway. I don't think they toured as Rockpile as early as 1978 or "post-Toronto" as it were. Unless maybe it was Rockpile as a Lowe or Edmunds solo gig. My guess is Lowe was muddling the Keith's timeframe.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 4, 2011 20:01

Love Rockpile.

Date: October 4, 2011 20:04

my fave dave edmunds album is barely remembered anymore....as leader of the band Love Sculpture - their first release in late '68, Blues Helping...as good as any whiteboy blues album of the era....

Posted by: stevea667 ()
Date: October 4, 2011 23:23

crawling from the wreckage, you'd think by now at least that half my brain would get the message.

many, many, mornings

Date: October 5, 2011 06:57

Dig it....

When I'm with you girl I get an extension...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 5, 2011 07:13

Wry Cooter
I saw Rockpile in I think 1980. Anyway. I don't think they toured as Rockpile as early as 1978 or "post-Toronto" as it were. Unless maybe it was Rockpile as a Lowe or Edmunds solo gig. My guess is Lowe was muddling the Keith's timeframe.

Guess again. Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams toured the US as Nick Lowe's Rockpile in spring 1978 after Lowe released Jesus of Cool (Pure Pop for Now People in the US). They were third on a triple bill package tour with Costello and the Attractions and Mink DeVille. When they toured behind Jesus of Cool, Lowe did most of the vocals. When they toured behind Edmunds' Tracks on Wax 4 that fall, they were Dave Edmunds' Rockpile and Edmunds did most of the vocals. The appearance with Keef was 10/24/78.

They were just Rockpile, and vocals were somewhat evenly split, with Bremner even getting a few turns, when they toured behind Lowe's Labour of Love and Edmunds' Repeat When Necessary, which were released together in spring of 1979, and in 1980, when they finally made the one Rockpile studio album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-05 14:55 by ab.

Date: October 5, 2011 20:41

ab
Wry Cooter

Guess again. Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams toured the US as Nick Lowe's Rockpile in spring 1978 after Lowe released Jesus of Cool (Pure Pop for Now People in the US). They were third on a triple bill package tour with Costello and the Attractions and Mink DeVille. When they toured behind Jesus of Cool, Lowe did most of the vocals. When they toured behind Edmunds' Tracks on Wax 4 that fall, they were Dave Edmunds' Rockpile and Edmunds did most of the vocals. The appearance with Keef was 10/24/78.

They were just Rockpile, and vocals were somewhat evenly split, with Bremner even getting a few turns, when they toured behind Lowe's Labour of Love and Edmunds' Repeat When Necessary, which were released together in spring of 1979, and in 1980, when they finally made the one Rockpile studio album.

I'm always happy to "guess again." I make no pretensions at definitive statements. Anyway, given the date of the Keef/Rockpile track, Lowe's recollections seem correct as to the timeframe. My other point as to when they toured definitively as "Rockpile" seems a bit subjective, re: the prefix of "Nick Lowe's" or "Dave Edmund's". Regardless, a hell of a band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home