Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dangerous Riffing by Keith Richards
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 8, 2016 05:15

[www.youtube.com]

It is my understanding, from reading these many posts by fans, that there will be at least a few old blues/old traditional songs on the new CD, due to be released some time in 2016. If at least two or three of these songs exhibit anywhere near the skill and intensity as shown in the above video, this new CD will be a masterpiece.

How can anyone play this well?

Re: Dangerous Riffing by Keith Richards
Date: July 8, 2016 05:23

Well that whole clip is nothing short of fantastic. Keith's playing, Charlie hunched over like that, Bill's fingers. They are just miming, but Jagger isn't. He is great. At 1:55 one thing I had never seen, they show Jagger's dancing feet, and you can see all the black marks his shows are leaving by twisting like that.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 8, 2016 05:30

Go Johnny Go... Johnny Be down the road a piece grinning smiley

cool clip

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 8, 2016 13:23

Palace Revolution 2000
They are just miming, but Jagger isn't.

The whole clip is playback. The dancing is live though!
They are fantastic. I love that guitar tone. I love that confidence. I love the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 8, 2016 16:34

that is as good as it gets , anybody that needs to know what the Stones are all about can find it right here.

Date: July 8, 2016 16:48

TheGreek
that is as good as it gets , anybody that needs to know what the Stones are all about can find it right here.

+1

That's the Rolling Stones!

Date: July 8, 2016 17:03

That is one part of the Stones.
Thank goodness there is so much more to the Rolling Stones than one genre of music.

I would say Gimme Shelter, That's the Rolling Stones!

Then I would say Respectable, That's the Rolling Stones!

Then I would say Worried about you, That's the Rolling Stones!

Then I would say.... etc etc

Variety is the spice.

Date: July 8, 2016 17:30

jambay
Thank goodness there is so much more to the Rolling Stones than one genre of music.

Variety is the spice.

thumbs up

Date: July 8, 2016 17:45

DandelionPowderman
jambay

Variety is the spice.

thumbs up
smileys with beer

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 9, 2016 00:15

Great clip, but they're in their 20s then and their 70s now. Is it fair to expect anything close that level of performance now?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 9, 2016 00:28

ab
Great clip, but they're in their 20s then and their 70s now. Is it fair to expect anything close that level of performance now?

Absolutely, they could do it. Would LOVE to hear them slay this one again.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 9, 2016 02:03

Great Great Great. Whoa. The guy who put this up had great ears, what a gift!
I put the headphones right on for this one, incredible to hear everything so clear and distinct. Stu rules!!! They all do. Bill Wyman. Bill Wyman.
Keith right in the pocket & superb, this is so hugely great. Each of them.

This is the deep rolling boogie woogie that changed my life and entire musical thrust, and moved me to get into the entire history of this kind of music too.
This sounds so fresh and absolutely engaging. The contemporary Stones should listen to this over and over before they start pro-tooling around and micro-managing digital files and processors.
This is why (and how) I fell in LOVE with Rolling Stones music in the first place all those years ago, and this is the energy and sound I still crave and seek.

THIS is the stuff that Leavell and DJones can't really produce or even emulate very closely imo. Nor they seem to understand it on a soul level, at least in my estimation and experience.
Wow to think Keith is like 21 years old here! A triumph!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 04:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 9, 2016 16:40

Always loved it. They had the same magic on Around and Around at El Mo...dubs notwithstanding...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 9, 2016 19:27

Palace Revolution 2000
Well that whole clip is nothing short of fantastic. Keith's playing, Charlie hunched over like that, Bill's fingers. They are just miming, but Jagger isn't. He is great. At 1:55 one thing I had never seen, they show Jagger's dancing feet, and you can see all the black marks his shows are leaving by twisting like that.

That clip is just there for something to watch. It's the studio recording.

Date: July 9, 2016 20:46

Yes the studio cut of course, but great miming and presence....but it sounds extreeemely great & distinctive to me.

The uploader seems to have done his own, sort of, re-mastering or something. Anyway I seem to be able to really hear Stu and Charlie particularly well on this upload.
It's not high resolution or anything but it made me jump up for the headphones and press them to my ears for the ride, and there was Bill and Charlie upfront with Keith and it was soooo good. The whole truly 'rolling' thing I guess.

"This song needed: Charlie's drums on both channels instead of only on the left. Louder ? [uploadsociety.com]
It also needed: Bill's bass more centered. And finally, it especially needed: Keith's guitar a bit sharper, clearer. So that's why I made this one. Enjoy!"

?

Also could someone slide me some deets about them recording this please? Been researching but not getting the inside scoop.
Or please refer to me a link or past thread here that has our posters chiming in on this session? TY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 21:39 by hopkins.

Date: July 9, 2016 21:43

11th June: Chicago, Chess Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound
engineer: Ron Malo.
- Around And Around (Chuck Berry) -STU on piano; Five By Five-version
- Confessin' The Blues (Walter Brown/Jay McShann) -STU on piano;
Five By Five-version
- Down In The Bottom (Willie Dixon)
- Down The Road Apiece (Don Raye) -STU on piano; The Rolling Stones
No. 2-version
- Empty Heart (Nanker Phelge) - Five By Five-version
- Hi-Heel Sneakers (Robert Higginbotham)
- If You Need Me (Wilson Pickett/Robert Bateman) -STU on organ;
Five By Five-version
- Look What You've Done (McKinley Morganfield) -STU on piano;
December’s Children-version
- Reelin' And Rockin' (Chuck Berry)
- Tell Me Baby (Big Bill Broonzy) -The Rest Of The Best-version
- 2120 South Michigan Avenue I (Nanker Phelge) -STU on organ; instrumental;
long version (f.e. on German Around And Around-album)
- 2120 South Michigan Avenue II (Nanker Phelge) -STU on organ,
instrumental; edited version of I; Five By Five-version

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Composer: Tony Raye Original performers: Amos Milburn (1946), Chuck Berry (1960)
Recording date: June 1964 Recording location: Chess Studios, Chicago, USA
Producer: Andrew Oldham Engineer: Ron Malo
Performed onstage: 1962-65, 1981, 1986

Actually Chuck Berry walked in (the studio) while we were recording Down the Road Apiece, and he said, Wow, you guys are really getting it on!
- Bill Wyman

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: July 9, 2016 22:02

Thanks for this. Do you know if they were mostly recording live or what was being over-dubbed? How they were actually putting it together track by track in those early days w Ron Malo? How did he work them up in the studio?
haha I'm down the Rolling Stones rabbit hole again. Great informative post thank you Gaslight.

Date: July 10, 2016 03:11

hopkins
Thanks for this. Do you know if they were mostly recording live or what was being over-dubbed? How they were actually putting it together track by track in those early days w Ron Malo? How did he work them up in the studio?
haha I'm down the Rolling Stones rabbit hole again. Great informative post thank you Gaslight.

You're welcome.

I can not recall ever reading specifics to those early recordings past using 2 tracks or 4 tracks, with bouncing going on for overdubbing of backing vocals and percussion and whatever else they added. So they may have done a live lead vocal for some or a lot of those. They were doing a lot back then - as in, fast and loads of material. It may be easy enough to listen to the tunes and consider Jagger's vocal delivery - if it seems up, it may've been live.

I could be wrong but I think Jagger started overdubbing lead vocals around the time Paint It Black and AFTERMATH and ever since, for the most part.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2016 16:15

I believe lead vocals were recorded separately pretty much from the get-go,
but for the instrumental part the Stones were always fans of the "live in the studio" approach,
much longer than most musicians. Keith still prefers it.

One story from the early days is about the vocal on Can I Get a Witness:
The recording was complete except for the vocal, and it suddenly emerged that Mick didn't know all the words.
So Andrew sent Mick sent out to get the sheet music. Apparently he ran all the way back and sped straight to the mic,
since everyone was hyper-aware that studio time cost a lot. You can kind of hear the strain in his voice on that one.

I love the Rolling Stones

Date: July 10, 2016 17:36

A great Don Raye cover. Although I don't hear any danger here it's obvious that Keith was very deep into Chuck Berry style.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 10, 2016 17:43

flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

It is my understanding, from reading these many posts by fans, that there will be at least a few old blues/old traditional songs on the new CD, due to be released some time in 2016. If at least two or three of these songs exhibit anywhere near the skill and intensity as shown in the above video, this new CD will be a masterpiece.

How can anyone play this well?

I appreciate what you're saying but it's been a long time since Keith shown that kind of dexterity. Still love him but just saying....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home