Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Janis Joplin
Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 3, 2016 01:38

Janis Joplin Little Girl blue on PBS, tomm. night I hear its great, don't know if there is a lot of Joplin fans on this site,but I think she was the greatest female rock singer there ever was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-05 15:10 by bv.

Re: janis joplin
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 3, 2016 02:53

That's a really good documentary that everyone should see.

I'm not really into Janis that much, and I loved it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2016 03:13

Wonderful singer and personality. Used to love catching her on variety shows in the States. She obviously wasn't classically pretty, but she was sexy in a rough way. It's too bad no one was able to provide the strong emotional support she needed. I feel that her, and the other members of the 27 Club, might have had good lives if they could just get back that dangerous time. It was quite a blow when she died because she only outlast Hendrix by a month or so, and then we lost Jim Morrison the next summer, and Duane Allman about a year after Janis. America lost its rock aristocracy.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 3, 2016 03:50

"America lost its rock aristocracy", per 24FPS. I think Chuck Berry, Brian Wilson, CCR/John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, CSN and others would have a question about this. Re Janis, she did some wonderful stuff, but she's one of those artists whose work has to be cherry picked to find the best of what they did. Re Duane Allman, fantastic guitarist, but outside of session work and Derek and the Dominoes,, he's best known for being a part of the ABB.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2016 06:07

dmay
"America lost its rock aristocracy", per 24FPS. I think Chuck Berry, Brian Wilson, CCR/John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, CSN and others would have a question about this. Re Janis, she did some wonderful stuff, but she's one of those artists whose work has to be cherry picked to find the best of what they did. Re Duane Allman, fantastic guitarist, but outside of session work and Derek and the Dominoes,, he's best known for being a part of the ABB.

Yes, but Hendrix was the top paid live performer at the time of his death. Janis was still going strong and the Doors were poised for a great comeback if Morrison could have got himself together. As for Duane, he was the guiding force of the Allman Brothers, and he's also best known as the slide guitarist on Layla. Duane might have taken them in new directions and they wouldn't have been pigeonholed as a jam band, Southern Rock act.

None of the others you mentioned were as relevant at the time, except for CSN&Y. CCR were on the verge of breakup. Dylan wouldn't matter on the scene again until he began touring again a couple years after his re-emergence at the Bangladesh concert.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 3, 2016 10:49

Ah, time to confess to a guilty pleasure of mine: here's Janis with no other than Tom Jones eye popping smiley
(but I like it)...
youtube

video: [www.youtube.com]

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 10:53 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 3, 2016 13:59

marcovandereijk
Ah, time to confess to a guilty pleasure of mine: here's Janis with no other than Tom Jones eye popping smiley
(but I like it)...
youtube

video: [www.youtube.com]

Tom Jones rules! I've seen him in Vegas a couple of times & he puts on an awesome show. Elvis used to call him "the voice". High praise.smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 3, 2016 18:15

Anybody who loves Janis shouldn't miss the performances she did in Canada which are documented in the Festival Express DVD. The Janis stuff in the Extras portion of that DVD are nothing short of stellar.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 3, 2016 18:26

I love her voice and much of her work. Again,what a shame we lost so many so young.

A member of the 27 club:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 3, 2016 18:57

24FPS
Wonderful singer and personality..

I couldn't stand her personality. Way too many complexes to be down to earth. Even her interviews are exhusting. Love her singing when she would just sing the song which was rarely. Her screaming and herky jerky singing style made her unlistenable for me.

Date: May 3, 2016 18:59

24FPS
dmay

Yes, but Hendrix was the top paid live performer at the time of his death

Can you back that up with anything?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:21

dmay

If you were around then you'd know none of the acts you mention were anywhere near the league of Hendrix or the Doors and janis was gonna be huge too.

Jimi in the 1970's would have been as big as Led Zeppelin easily and the Doors would've given the Stones a run for their money anyday.

Their careers only lasted about three or four years-what would Zep be if they ended in 1972 or the Stones were gone after between the buttons? that gives you an idea of how much American rock music lost.

24PF was exactly right,it never was the same after that.time fades memories and history gets lost so it's easy to forget just how huge Janis,Jimi and Jim Morrison were then, and they were just getting started.

Date: May 3, 2016 19:36

lem motlow
dmay

If you were around then you'd know none of the acts you mention were anywhere near the league of Hendrix or the Doors and janis was gonna be huge too.

Jimi in the 1970's would have been as big as Led Zeppelin easily and the Doors would've given the Stones a run for their money anyday.

I don't buy any of this for one second.

First of all Zeppelin was already alot bigger then Hendrix. And Zeppelin kept releasing what many consider classic music. Where do you get that Hendrix would have done the same.

Same with the Doors. They were not even close to the Stones at the time in terms of ho big they were and where do you get that they were going to keep releasing classic music like the Stones did? There have been alot of flashes in the pan in the history of Rock. I am sure if Fogerty died at the time you would be on here now saying that CCR was going to dominate the 70s and Fogerty was going to keep putting out classic music for the next 20 years,.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 19:53 by stanlove.

Date: May 3, 2016 19:48

lem motlow
dmay

Bob Dylan wasn't in the same league as Hendrix,Morrison, or Janis? LOL.

Another example of people being hyped to the absurd because they died young.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:53

I wish she would've lived long enough to have a really kick ass band put together behind her, I always considered the bands behind her a bit b-team at best.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:53

lem motlow
Their careers only lasted about three or four years-what would Zep be if they ended in 1972 or the Stones were gone after between the buttons? that gives you an idea of how much American rock music lost.

And from their ashes many more bands emerged: Eagles, Springsteen, Kiss, ZZ Top, etc

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:57

BamaStone
I always considered the bands behind her a bit b-team at best.

I completely agree thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:03

All speculation, but
Hendrix might have become even bigger had he gotten a good band together with a charismatic frontman (a la Zeppelin.). Or, he could have had a long, Jeff Beck-type career.
The Doors had peaked, imo, probably would have been an oldies act had they stayed together.
Joplin was never going to be a popular star.
Allman was the greatest loss, imo. Great player, charismatic, capable of leading a great band.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:24

Well, I was looking at the Woodstock 1969 list and in my opinion only Neil Young and to a lesser extent The Who hadnt peaked (creatively) already by the time they played the festival.
So its hard to believe that the future for Janis and Jimi would have been any different.
Some acts have maintained a loyal fan base of course eg Santana, Joan Baez, but by the late 70s they seemed to belong to another generation.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:38

dgodkin
Janis Joplin Little Girl blue on PBS, tomm. night I hear its great, don't know if there is a lot of Joplin fans on this site,but I think she was the greatest female rock singer there ever was.

Shown recently on the BBC in the UK, and well worth watching if you're a fan.

I've always loved Janis, she doesn't get played anywhere near enough on UK radio......IMO

I have often wondered what the X factor generation would make of her if she were around today.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 4, 2016 01:46

I've got it in my Dropbox in case any of you haven't seen it yet!

Date: May 4, 2016 03:19

what an amazing singer she was. "maybe", "cry baby" and "kozmic blues" are amazing tunes

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 4, 2016 13:43

I watched the PBS documentary last night and I liked it. Some of the footage had been shown already in past documentaries on Janis but it was great to see it again. What I get from watching the film is that Janis was "real". She wasn't show business, she was very sincere and she didn't protect herself from the dangers of becoming a rockstar. It is in fact heartbreaking to watch her slowly get swollen by the Business beast. She was a total romantic, she was at her best when she was on stage, singing her heart out to the public because she felt that the audience was giving her back that love and appreciation that she craved so much. What a beautiful but fragile soul she was.
Rock and roll,
mops

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:09

rollmops
I watched the PBS documentary last night and I liked it. Some of the footage had been shown already in past documentaries on Janis but it was great to see it again. What I get from watching the film is that Janis was "real". She wasn't show business, she was very sincere and she didn't protect herself from the dangers of becoming a rockstar. It is in fact heartbreaking to watch her slowly get swollen by the Business beast. She was a total romantic, she was at her best when she was on stage, singing her heart out to the public because she felt that the audience was giving her back that love and appreciation that she craved so much. What a beautiful but fragile soul she was.
Rock and roll,
mops

Nice review mops, thanks. I'm putting it on my summer viewing list.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:31

Yes, I watched it last night as well, and it was very well done. It was a different approach with the reading of her letters, and a very interesting insight into her psyche and turbulent soul. A sad story. Big Brother was not a band up to her talents. They were somewhat of a good garage band, but nothing stellar. The Kozmic Blues band were better, but the backing band she had on Pearl was very good, a bit polished, but that was the production, but their skills were top notch.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:59

Great show, and OUR own VideoJames had some of his footage included.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:11

I find her an interesting figure predating woman's lib. Her seems broken and doomed from the get go. infinitely sad

She has horrible pitch control and her bands generally were not interesting to me. there are times when the energy on stage over came that but that is a lot of overcome and I could reel off a lot of other people that could do that material more justice.
Big Mama Thorton used to give her shit her....now there is a real character with a great voice!
or try Janis' hero Otis Reading

hell listen to some Lee Dorsey my friends you will be glad you did!

Joss Stone is like a repaired version of janis...not nuts nor wildly addicted (I suspect) and she sings in tune.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:27

rollmops
Rock and roll,
mops

Ditto Amy Winehouse.

Some things never change.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home