Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Brian Jones Guitar Solos?
Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:23

If there is two guitars it still doesn't t settle who is playing the prominant one. To bad no one ever filmed live complete concerts of the stones in 64 when they played all the covers. Those would be massive treasures. Now I'm really looking forward to the book Rolling Stones Gear book. Hopefully it sheds light not only what guitar was played but what part it played. Looks like a pretty big book. I pre-ordered it. 60 bucks. Due out in September.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:30

ovalvox
If there is two guitars it still doesn't t settle who is playing the prominant one. To bad no one ever filmed live complete concerts of the stones in 64 when they played all the covers. Those would be massive treasures. Now I'm really looking forward to the book Rolling Stones Gear book. Hopefully it sheds light not only what guitar was played but what part it played. Looks like a pretty big book. I pre-ordered it. 60 bucks. Due out in September.

I probably won't be buying it right away, but do post here if it gives a glimmer.

Date: December 29, 2012 03:36

I just glanced at Nico's site. He lists Keith as back up vocalist for Bye Bye Johnny. Brian sings the back up. His voice is unmistakable. He was awful on this. More proof that you can't trust one source as definitive. And yes if the book is good I will post. Always wanted to know exactly what guitars were used on each song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 03:40 by ovalvox.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 29, 2012 07:09

As far as I can tell, Brian had the harp, slide and rhythm duties with occasional riffs like Last Time and Cloud.

Keith had the leads.

I define leads as guitar solos often with string bending and not arpeggiated chords.

I still can't find an example of Brian playing a lead solo with string bending as Keith did.

I'd like to find one but I havn't been able to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 07:12 by howled.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 29, 2012 08:11

His rhythm wasn't too shabby either -

Date: December 29, 2012 09:52

Another main riff that Brian plays in Mercy

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2012 10:44

Brian's guitar playing is a mystery, as is just about everything about that guy. I remember reading an Ian Stewart(?) interview where he described Brian as playing like Django Reinhart when he first met him. I can't think of another example of such a fine slide player not being able, or unwilling, to play regular solos. Footage of Duane Allman isn't that common. I found a poor quality boot DVD and for the first time I realized how powerful his non-slide work was too. I had always assumed Dickie Betts was playing lines that it turns out Duane was doing.

It would be an interesting question for Keith about Brian's soloing efforts. They spent all that time playing in that apartment, getting the sound of the Stone's guitars together. Maybe Keith remembers Brian being more open to soloing and it was decided otherwise. Or course, once again, maybe Brian had no interest.

Date: December 29, 2012 14:20

Ry Cooder is pretty average without the slide as well

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 14:44

DandelionPowderman
Ry Cooder is pretty average without the slide as well

That's right. I apologize btw DP, sometimes I am an idiot.

Date: December 29, 2012 17:19

I'd agree that Brian's guitar playing can be summed up as a mystery. He was very unorthodoxed. Road Runner. Mona. Slide. Etc. A solo though can be more than bending notes. Keith plays the solo on Not Fade Away and it is basically a chord solo but a solo none the less. I still like Brian's Jimmy Reed on Bright Lights Big City. He does a lot on those bass notes. His Road Runner was awesome as well. That's about as standard as Brian ever got. He played fine rythmn guitar. Around and Around is one of my favorites. Brian always was accused of not having his own style. Why? Because he wasn't conventional? I thought he had a very unique style. He just never reached his potential.

Date: December 29, 2012 17:31

We will see the Taylor vs Wood threads, but you will never see an argument in regards to Brian Jones. A genius. Created the Rolling Stones at an impossibly early date from a tree lined street in Cheltenham. Taught Keith Richards the blues, think about that a moment. How does some kid from Cheltenham in 1960 even KNOW about that stuff?

Date: December 29, 2012 21:49

Carnaby
We will see the Taylor vs Wood threads, but you will never see an argument in regards to Brian Jones. A genius. Created the Rolling Stones at an impossibly early date from a tree lined street in Cheltenham. Taught Keith Richards the blues, think about that a moment. How does some kid from Cheltenham in 1960 even KNOW about that stuff?

From sitting in with Alexis Korner's band.

Date: December 29, 2012 22:35

stonesnow
Carnaby

Well, sure. But how did he learn all about it in the first place?

Date: December 29, 2012 22:46

Carnaby
stonesnow
Carnaby

Alexis Korner is generally accepted as the first of the British bluesmen. I believe Brian started out as a jazz player, and then the blues thing evolved from there. Rock n roll didn't really kick off in England until around 1960, so the main rock influences for young British kids would have been Elvis and Bill Haley and The Everly Brothers and England's own Cliff Richard [1958's Move It is generally regarded as the first UK rock n roll song].

Date: December 30, 2012 00:55

Carnaby
stonesnow
Carnaby

For instance, who introduced Brian to Robert Johnson, who in turn introduced Keith? We'll never know, well maybe Keith might remember, where Brian's influences came from. Sure, Brian came down to London to check out the Alexis Korner happening, but what drew him there? Did he already have an interest in R&B and the blues? What were his jazz interests? He is as essential a piece of the puzzle as Mick or Keith, and yet I'm not sure he's ever been done justice with a proper biography.

Date: December 30, 2012 04:56

I read all the books on Brian. Even the fiction. I can't say he's been done justice. Until his murder is solved he will never have justice. And after 43 years that probably will never happen. There are to many people in England that have bent over backwards to prevent that justice. They solve his murder then he would have his entire life re-examined with great detail to his role and contributions in the Rolling Stones. Then he would get his justice. Until then only his hard core fans will know his contributions. And defend them against people who try and marginalize him.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 30, 2012 05:00

I believe it was a contractor who got too rough asking his pay. Things get very crazy when people are out of control but The Rolling Stones would never hurt a fly, ten minutes with them and you know they're very gentle people.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:14

The contractor has always been the main suspect but the fact remains that there was probably a party that night with plenty of witnesses. Even Keith admitted there was a party. Very mysterious circumstances. A lot of people threatened and for years afraid to ever talk about that night. Some very powerful people involved. The best I've read was from A H Hotchners book Old Gods Almost Dead. Out of the four main characters that night, three have been lying through their teeth since. One even wrote a book. Ana Wholin! The contractor Frank took it to his grave. One day someone will come clean with the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 05:20 by ovalvox.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:25

24FPS
Carnaby
stonesnow
Carnaby

For instance, who introduced Brian to Robert Johnson, who in turn introduced Keith? We'll never know, well maybe Keith might remember, where Brian's influences came from. Sure, Brian came down to London to check out the Alexis Korner happening, but what drew him there? Did he already have an interest in R&B and the blues? What were his jazz interests? He is as essential a piece of the puzzle as Mick or Keith, and yet I'm not sure he's ever been done justice with a proper biography.

I believe Brian's main motivation for leaving Cheltenham may have been that his parents had disowned him after Brian created a local scandal in having impregnating one or multiple girls. With running off to London, he could escape disgrace and responsibility and preserve his creative life as a musician. American R&B artists were unknown in Britain before Alexis Korner brought them there to perform.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:38

ovalvox
I read all the books on Brian. Even the fiction. I can't say he's been done justice. Until his murder is solved he will never have justice. And after 43 years that probably will never happen. There are to many people in England that have bent over backwards to prevent that justice. They solve his murder then he would have his entire life re-examined with great detail to his role and contributions in the Rolling Stones. Then he would get his justice. Until then only his hard core fans will know his contributions. And defend them against people who try and marginalize him.

Blah, blah, blah, about the 'murder' ad infinitum. His ending has nothing at all to do with his beginning. Even if he was drowned, what does that have to do with price of tea in China? The alleged murderer is most likely dead. Can we get back to the serious subject of who was Brian Jones and not some cockamamie conspiracy? Brian will get no justice, or have his life re-examined because an alleged murder is solved. It's time to drop the sordid and the decadently glamarous aspects of Brian's life, and look into his musical influences and contributions. He was part of the foundation of one of the top musical acts of all time. How he died is inconsequential. Unless you can prove Allen Klein and the rest of the Stones did it, I don't give a shit how he died.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:43

From what I've read Brian's parents were hard core social class people. Brian's mother seemed cold as ice. All prim and proper. Almost emotionless. Brian's dad seemed much warmer toward Brian. Yeah Brian was on his way to knocking up half the town. Lol. He had to get out of town. He was already music crazy by then. He knew early on that music was his passion. Just remember that Mick and Keith were floored when they heard Brian playing Dust My Blues. The first known slide guitar in England.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:54

24FPS most Brian fans do "give a shit" how he died. It's part of his legacy period. Regardless of how people believe it happened. Lighten up. I mention quite a few of his contributions in this thread. Even ones that are disputed. It's funny you mention Allen Klein. He ripped the stones and Beatles off. And he bitched mightily about having to pay Brian 150,000 pounds as his firing gift. Money that he never received.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 30, 2012 06:24

ovalvox
The contractor has always been the main suspect but the fact remains that there was probably a party that night with plenty of witnesses. Even Keith admitted there was a party. Very mysterious circumstances. A lot of people threatened and for years afraid to ever talk about that night. Some very powerful people involved. The best I've read was from A H Hotchners book Old Gods Almost Dead. Out of the four main characters that night, three have been lying through their teeth since. One even wrote a book. Ana Wholin! The contractor Frank took it to his grave. One day someone will come clean with the truth.
There was a party every night for 30 years at least, I'm sure there was something to lie about at each one. I heard the contractor made a death bed confession about it being an argument gone wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 06:25 by DoomandGloom.

Date: December 30, 2012 06:40

That deathbed confession was reported by Tom Keylock. The guy that made everything dissappear the night Brian died. Including the tapes and all of Brian's guitars. The same guy who ripped Keith off and they stick Brian with him. Brian had no chance once Keylock showed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 06:41 by ovalvox.

Date: December 30, 2012 07:42

ovalvox
24FPS most Brian fans do "give a shit" how he died. It's part of his legacy period. Regardless of how people believe it happened. Lighten up. I mention quite a few of his contributions in this thread. Even ones that are disputed. It's funny you mention Allen Klein. He ripped the stones and Beatles off. And he bitched mightily about having to pay Brian 150,000 pounds as his firing gift. Money that he never received.

I am not going to 'lighten up'. I'm a big Brian fan and I no longer give a shit how he died. Or how Buddy Holly died. Or how John Lennon died. I care about their artistic contribution while they were here. Their outsized deaths distort their lives. I'm past all the little niggly problems of Brian's life. I'd like to know what he was really like, past the personal problems, and not who killed him. It's like a cottage industry here, all these people going on about who killed Brian. So tomorrow they find irrefutable proof that the contractor killed Brian. Then what? The contractor is dead. So is Brian. End of story.

Date: December 30, 2012 09:48

Yeah, this is a topic about Brian Jones Guitar Solos? in case anyone didn't notice.

I've got Brian playing the main riffs in at least 3 songs (not slide riffs) and he does it all pretty well with a sort of blues feel.

If Brian did extend these sort of riffs then it would have been a solo and he must have been capable of it but it was just not done for some reason.

Brian can be seen playing the riffs at around these times in the clips and Keith is strumming the rhythm at the same time.

1:12

1:04

0:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 09:53 by howled.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 30, 2012 12:18

Thanks, howled!thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 30, 2012 12:31

Brian wasnt a lead guitarist, Keith wasnt either but he did the solos in the Stones and became the only guitar player. But the main guitar in Mona is the rhythm, In Rooster it's the slide, I cant be satisfied is all about the slide and the bass. Last Time is all about the main riff. And so on.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2012 12:36

I like the solo in 'Time is on my side' the best....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 30, 2012 12:47

Mercy Mercy is a good example of weaving btw.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home