Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some Girls - Were There 3 Versions of the Front Cover Art?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: August 5, 2011 20:43

[en.wikipedia.org]

Please tell me ... were there really three versions of the album art regarding the Rolling Stones' Some Girls album? The 3rd version with the hand-drawn women was the one used for the CBS-era issues, although I do remember a few late-period Atlantic-issue prints (think between late 1979 and early 1984) carrying this latest cover art. What I would like to see is a HQ pic of the 3rd version of the album art.

The first version of the LP cover art, designed by Peter Corriston, was what got the Stones in trouble: there were pictures of such noted celebrities as Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe and Raquel Welch alongside, of course, the Stones themselves, dressed in drag. Reportedly, Mick Jagger apologized to Liza Minnelli (the daughter of Judy Garland) over the incident.

The second version of this cover art removed all the real female likenesses and a notice is placed which reads: "PARDON OUR APPEARANCE - COVER UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION," which I believe led to the design of the 3rd version with the hand-drawn women.

Album cover art number three replaces the Stones' drag-queen likenesses with hand-drawn women. It was this version that was used for the CBS-period (1986) issues of the album on LP, cassette and CD. I personally find the drawn women cover to be more desirable than the versions with the die-cut covers.

Which version of the Some Girls album art do you think is most desirable?

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-05 20:47 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Some Girls - Were There 3 Versions of the Front Cover Art?
Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 5, 2011 21:01

I prefer the original. I believe there are 3 different colour patterns in the original issue, right?

Date: August 5, 2011 21:20

Single Malt
I prefer the original. I believe there are 3 different colour patterns in the original issue, right?
The original banned cover and the 3rd cover have pastel shades of yellow on the first row, blue on the second row, pink on the third row and green on the fourth row. The album's title on both is in a red script font.

On many international pressings of the LP, these colors are shifted down with the first row being green, the second being yellow, the third being blue and the fourth being pink. The colors on these issues are also brighter/less dull.

For the 2nd version, there is considerably less color used for the four rows of "women."

The 3rd version, which I will picture here, has hand-drawn faces.

The Rolling Stones - "Some Girls" (cover art no. 3) by classictvman81, on Flickr

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-05 21:21 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 5, 2011 22:08

As far as German releases are interesting there were 3 different covers with the initial release - see here [www.vinylstones.org]
the 4th in line is the CBS re-issue.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 6, 2011 00:24

What about the famous "under construction" cover! The insert just had Lucille Ball and a few others blacked out.

Date: August 6, 2011 00:31

Lynd8
What about the famous "under construction" cover! The insert just had Lucille Ball and a few others blacked out.
That is the second version of the album art... which looks like this:

rolling stones some girls by Locator, on Flickr

Of course, those cut-outs refer to the celebs that demanded their removal from the cover art.

~Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-06 00:32 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 6, 2011 01:40

The original cover was brilliant, and I hope when any "Deluxe version" finally comes out that someone in the Stones' organization makes an effort to secure permission from the celebs (or their estates ) to use their likenesses.

Posted by: Ziggi ()
Date: May 4, 2016 11:08

I have made a site with all the different versions I am aware of
Some Girls

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 4, 2016 12:22

The story behind the Some Girls cover, it's inspiration and making of is featured in Exhibitionism.
Interesting part of it

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 4, 2016 13:06

thanks Ziggi for your website.
I never realised they were so many variations !

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:13

Speaking of different versions of SG - I once bought SG on 8- Track tape, long since lost and I recall Beast of Burden being longer with some different lyrics, and some other differences. Does anyone else know anything about this? Never heard that version of BOB anywhere else.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:27

HonkeyTonkFlash
Speaking of different versions of SG - I once bought SG on 8- Track tape, long since lost and I recall Beast of Burden being longer with some different lyrics, and some other differences. Does anyone else know anything about this? Never heard that version of BOB anywhere else.

Also "Miss You", "Shattered" and "Faraway Eyes".
“Beast Of Burden” and “Miss You” are roughly a minute longer and “Shattered” about a minute shorter. "Faraway Eyes" is the single edit.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 14:28 by Deltics.

Date: May 4, 2016 15:04

Deltics
HonkeyTonkFlash

“Beast Of Burden” and “Miss You” are roughly a minute longer and “Shattered” about a minute shorter. "Faraway Eyes" is the single edit.

I thought I remembered some other differences..Haven't actually heard that 8-track version since about 1979! Are those versions available anywhere today?

Date: May 4, 2016 15:27

HonkeyTonkFlash
Deltics
HonkeyTonkFlash

I thought I remembered some other differences..Haven't actually heard that 8-track version since about 1979! Are those versions available anywhere today?
If you know where to look or who to ask! winking smiley

Date: May 4, 2016 15:37

The 8 track version of BOB:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 4, 2016 15:38

Miss You 8 track version:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 4, 2016 15:49

Thanks for the links, DP!

Date: May 4, 2016 16:19

Wow - I'm kind of shocked that my memory has served me so well. Just listened to that version of BOB and the differences were very much what I remembered hearing...and I hadn't actually heard it since 1978 or 79. Now if I could only remember important things like where I put my checkbook....Guess my brain just naturally prioritizes Stones-related things over all else!

Date: May 4, 2016 16:22

grinning smiley

Date: May 4, 2016 16:28

DandelionPowderman
grinning smiley
Always glad to give someone a smile and a laugh....Maybe it's my age - 56. Long term memory is great. Short term is...what was I gonna say......

Date: May 4, 2016 20:38

Regarding the different song versions on the SG 8-Track, were there any other Stones albums that had different versions between the LP and other formats?

Date: May 4, 2016 21:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
Regarding the different song versions on the SG 8-Track, were there any other Stones albums that had different versions between the LP and other formats?

Wanna Hold You is longer on cassettes. Slave is way longer on the Virgin releases.

Date: May 4, 2016 21:45

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

Wanna Hold You is longer on cassettes. Slave is way longer on the Virgin releases.

OK, I have heard the longer Slave, didn't know about WHY.

Date: May 4, 2016 21:47

CD versions of Luxury are some thirty seconds longer than the original album cut.
Cherry Oh Baby was edited by about 50 seconds in order to fit the programming requirements of 8-track cartridges.
Slave is another track where a longer version has been released on CD. The original vinyl cut is some 1 minute 40 seconds shorter than the one currently available.

Date: May 4, 2016 21:54

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

OK, I have heard the longer Slave, didn't know about WHY.

And then we have the different versions of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love...

Date: May 4, 2016 21:59

Time Waits For No One on the compilation of the same name is about twelve seconds longer than the one available on “It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll” due to an extended fade on Charlie’s rim - taps at the end.
Eventually released on the Japanese SACD of “It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll” (Polydor UIGY 9069) in 2011.
The longer version of Wanna Hold You is the one currently available on CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 22:06 by Deltics.

Date: May 4, 2016 22:08

The single version of YCAGWYW, on Slow Rollers and other compilations, is without the choir intro.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:06

got the 8-track in 1979, too. remember Beast being different but not the others. the cassette on ziggi's site is interesting. my 1978 cassette had respectable and whip in each other's slot. the switch made each side 22 minutes long, or something like that.
love all the miss you's from '78. each has a different mix.

Date: May 4, 2016 23:14

sundevil
got the 8-track in 1979, too. remember Beast being different but not the others. the cassette on ziggi's site is interesting. my 1978 cassette had respectable and whip in each other's slot. the switch made each side 22 minutes long, or something like that.
love all the miss you's from '78. each has a different mix.

Loved the 12 inch Miss You "Disco Mix."

Date: May 4, 2016 23:26

I also heard mention somewhere that they had Bob Clearmountain do a remix of Before They Make Me Run which was never officially released.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home