Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Zika virus disease in Latin America
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 28, 2016 13:33

There are alarming concerns related to the Zika virus in the Americas, and especially in Brazil. The Rolling Stones are scheduled to tour Latin America starting Feb-03, 2016. These pages are here for you to get information about the virus. Please see the links below for updated information. Also please follow travel advices. As per now, pregant women should not travel to areas with Zika virus.

What is the Zika virus:

- Spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which also carries dengue fever and yellow fever
- First discovered in Africa in the 1940s but is now spreading in Latin America
- Scientists say there is growing evidence of a link to microcephaly, that leads to babies being born with small heads
- Can lead to fever and a rash but most people show no symptoms, and there is no known cure
- Only way to fight Zika is to clear stagnant water where mosquitoes breed, and protect against mosquito bites

BBC: Zika virus could become 'explosive pandemic'
[www.bbc.co.uk]

WHO - World Health Organization:
Zika virus disease: Questions and answers
[www.who.int]

US scientists have urged the World Health Organisation to take urgent action over the Zika virus, which they say has "explosive pandemic potential".

Writing in a US medical journal, they called on the WHO to heed lessons from the Ebola outbreak and convene an emergency committee of disease experts.

They said a vaccine might be ready for testing in two years but it could be a decade before it is publicly available.

Zika, linked to shrunken brains in children, has caused panic in Brazil.

Thousands of people have been infected there and it has spread to some 20 countries.

Bjornulf

Pregnant Travellers
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 28, 2016 08:29

All of the advice is for pregnant ladies, or possibly pregnant ladies, to avoid travelling to places where the Zika virus is endemic.

Will Ronnie leave his wife behind? I darned well hope so.

(And yes, I do know that the main critical times are in the first few weeks after conception).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: Pregnant Travellers
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 28, 2016 09:12

She's a grown-up lady and capable of making her own decision - but it might be sensible not to take the risk.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:09

Seen it a lot on the U.K. news and making it a big thing about pregnant women not travelling to Brazil and even other parts of South America.

Just heard an interesting comment a young lady bought up on Sky News.

What if a woman travels to Brazil and gets bitten by mosquitos.
She comes back after her travels and a few months later finds she is pregnant.
How long is the time that the virus or whatever it is, stays in your body and could still affect the unborn baby ? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 10:43 by crawdaddy.

Date: January 28, 2016 10:15

The government here recommends pregnant women not to travel to Brazil at all at this point.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:22

DandelionPowderman
The government here recommends pregnant women not to travel to Brazil at all at this point.

The Brazilian gov recommends Brazilian women not to become pregnant for the moment (and I'm not even kidding you).

The biggest risk with Zika is microcephaly of the baby. if you've seen the 1932 movie "Freaks" you can imagine the problem...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 16:58 by dcba.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:55

I was wondering if Pregnant Travellers was a band ...

Date: January 28, 2016 11:00

Would have to be an all girl band otherwise a silly name for an all guy band. winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2016 11:23

Pilgrim Travellers is a gospel group from the late 40's
J.W Alexander was a member and manager of the group...

J.W worked closely with Sam Cooke and his SAR Record label as writer ...session musician and producer.....

Let's Go Steady Again was penned by J.W.Alexander
J.W also provides percussion on The Rolling Stones I'm Free RCA LA 1965 sessions

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 11:24 by Rockman.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 28, 2016 13:10

The Travellers were a Canuck folk band in the 50s, but I think the risk of conception is kinda low by now.

Re: Zika virus disease in Latin America
Date: January 28, 2016 14:02

The World Health Organization (WHO) must keep the panic level low and do things according to the book, i.e. scientifically. The press want to sell clicks and stories and they bring images of babies with the disease.

In less than a week this has gone from no story into a major concern. The Zika virus is now in every American country except Canada and Chile they say. Brazil have a large number of Zika registrations. They have reason to believe there is a link between the Zika virus and the rapid growth of children born with shrunken brain.

Pregnant women should not travel to areas with Zika virus, if they can avoid it, and if you live there, and you are pregnant, you should make sure to avoid mosquito bites. I would not underestimate this problem.

Bjornulf

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 28, 2016 15:07

Green Lady
She's a grown-up lady and capable of making her own decision - but it might be sensible not to take the risk.

I agree, and I imagine Sally Wood will have the best care on tour. Still, a lot can go wrong in a pregnancy and carrying twins can be a high risk by itself.

Thank you Bjornulf for alerting everyone to the dangers that this virus presents.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 28, 2016 15:31

dcba
DandelionPowderman

The Brazilian gov recommends Brazilian women not to become pregnant for the moment (and I'm not even kidding you).

The biggest risk with Zika is microcephaly if the baby. if you've seen the 1932 movie "Freaks" you can imagine the problem...

I read a headline (not the whole article) which stated that the Govt. of El Salvador is recommending that women' not get pregnant for the next two years. Let's hope that what seems to be rising hysteria is just part of the typical pattern of a society reacting to the unknown. In my experience, it seems that this is a pattern whenever a new disease or super-bug is discovered. Over time, let's hope that cooler heads prevail.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 28, 2016 15:46

Unfortunately events like the Stones tour will attract visitors from all over the world who potentially will bring the virus back to their country. Same for the Olympics this summer in Rio.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 16:30

Oh man, I'm really sorry for everyone who has to worry about this. Bad timing, that it happened to coincide with the Stones tour.

I wish you all good health and safety in South America

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 18:26 by stones2000.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 18:01

sad smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 28, 2016 18:34

<<All of the advice is for pregnant ladies, or possibly pregnant ladies, to avoid travelling to places where the Zika virus is endemic.>>

This is true. On the other hand, I saw a BBC interview a few days ago with Brian Foy, a biologist who had been collecting mosquitoes in Senegal and whose wife seemingly contracted the virus from him after he returned home, even though she'd never left the USA. So there is also speculation - on admittedly scant evidence so far - that the virus may be sexually transmitted.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 28, 2016 18:38

this is a very fluid and rapidly evolving issue and reports i heard on the local news this morning say that this is getting more serious and worrisome .

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 28, 2016 19:44

4000 reported cases of the virus in Brazil.

The year the Stones played Rock in Rio (2006) there were close to 550,000 confirmed cases of malaria there.

Not trying to downplay the threat here just saying it is probably a good idea to stay away from Brazilian mosquitoes for other reasons as well.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: January 28, 2016 23:21

[www.thenational.ae]

Zika virus possible linked with GBS

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: January 29, 2016 02:25

Koen
Unfortunately events like the Stones tour will attract visitors from all over the world who potentially will bring the virus back to their country. Same for the Olympics this summer in Rio.

No reason to panic. The virus is spread by the mosquito not by people.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 29, 2016 02:41

May not be spread by people, but if an infected individual is bitten by a mosquito. I'm assuming that mosquito can pass it on? Therefore introducing it to a new area.

Why this disease now? My girl has been talking baby for the last year. This was going to be her first Stones vacation to Bogota. She isn't going, but I got the ok. Kind of feeling like a heel, just thinking about going by myself. Arghhhhh!!!!!!

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 04:36

A doctor on the news said to slather yourself with DEET lotion if going to South America, and wear long sleeves and long pants.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:03

Yet, I read that 80% of people don't even know they have the virus (don't experience symptoms). Reads like not that big a deal if you're not pregnant or trying to get pregnant. I'm all booked, Stones or no Stones, I guess I'm heading to South America.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:07

Thankfully for Beast and I, our Dear Doctor will be there too...with a medicinal potion in his hand, at most times of the day and night ;-)

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 29, 2016 15:36

MingSubu
May not be spread by people, but if an infected individual is bitten by a mosquito. I'm assuming that mosquito can pass it on?

Yes, that is correct.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 29, 2016 16:10

chatoyancy
A doctor on the news said to slather yourself with DEET lotion if going to South America, and wear long sleeves and long pants.

Yeah usually mosquitos sting at night so a good mosquito tent removes most of the problems.
But the one that conveys Zika is the tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus), and it stings during the day... That's baaaad shhhhhhiiit!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 29, 2016 21:41

Press will always make things worse than they are, else they don't sell newspapers.

Adults don't get affected as a such. Big problem is for pregnant women that might get kids with "severe brain problems".

Be aware of places with "still water". Mosquitoes love that.

Problem in Brazil and similar places is the government lack of wanting to "fix" the things.

Date: January 29, 2016 22:28

Still a slow news day today but hardly heard a mention on Sky News and BBC.

Big news in my view was Andy Murray and a few more Brits doing alright in the tennis in Oz.

It's obviously a serious medical problem , but unless you are a pregnant woman going to South America, intend to get pregnant in South America , ...............things should be O.K.

Easier said than done I guess.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 09:32

A storm in a teacup, and nothing new. The W.H.O are a joke!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home