Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Ernie Watts 1981
Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: April 22, 2015 02:32

whatever happened to ernie watts? that 81 tour sound was very unique with him..when I was younger watching lets spend the night together on vhs I used to think he was charlies cousin..how did the stones find him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 16:18 by bv.

Re: 81
Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: April 22, 2015 02:37

I don't think Ernie and Charlie are related.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 22, 2015 02:41

Charlie looks all white but his dad was black.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 22, 2015 02:45

Ernie kept calling Charlie Bert. Don't mess with Charlie!!

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 22, 2015 02:59

mitchrambler
whatever happened to ernie watts? that 81 tour sound was very unique with him..when I was younger watching lets spend the night together on vhs I used to think he was charlies cousin..how did the stones find him?

Charlie and Ernie are not related...
Legend has it that Ernie was a young lad delivering the London Herald in the late 70's. One of Mick Jaggers homes was located on young Ernies paper route. Mick would waive to Ernie on occasion as the young boy fulfilled his dailey paper route duties and of course young Ernie would waive back.. During Christmas time of 79' London was burried in 13 Feet of snow, however this did not prevent the young Ernie from delivering papers to the Heralds customers...According to Keith Moon of the Who, very early on Christmas morning he witnessed Ernie being invited into Micks place for tea and crumpettes. That morning Mick presented young Ernie a gift...a plastic childs saxophone...Mick told Ernie if you could learn to play it he would allow young Ernie to tour with the Stones next time around... "delivering papers in 13 feet of snow is no way for a young man to earn a living", you're feet must be frost bit by now......Soooo Ernie practiced and practiced and practiced until he was almost as good as Bobby Keys.....And that children is how the Rolling Stones found Ernie, not related to Charlie...Watts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 03:01 by 2120Wolf.

Date: April 22, 2015 03:09

Legend has it that Ernie was a young lad delivering the London Herald in the late 70's. One of Mick Jaggers homes was located on young Ernies paper route. Mick would waive to Ernie on occasion as the young boy fulfilled his dailey paper route duties and of course young Ernie would waive back.. During Christmas time of 79' London was burried in 13 Feet of snow, however this did not prevent the young Ernie from delivering papers to the Heralds customers...According to Keith Moon of the Who, very early on Christmas morning he witnessed Ernie being invited into Micks place for tea and crumpettes. That morning Mick presented young Ernie a gift...a plastic childs saxophone...Mick told Ernie if you could learn to play it he would allow young Ernie to tour with the Stones next time around... "delivering papers in 13 feet of snow is no way for a young man to earn a living", you're feet must be frost bit by now......Soooo Ernie practiced and practiced and practiced until he was almost as good as Bobby Keys.....And that children is how the Rolling Stones found Ernie, not related to Charlie...Watts.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:17

great story bro

Date: April 22, 2015 03:18

2120Wolf

That's a neat story if it's true, but is there documentation (audio/video/etc.) of Keith Moon telling this tale, or any other source? Sounds neat!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:28

Love the story of Mick and Ernie. The mis-spellings and misuse of words give it another whole dimension, but this is part of it's being fun to read.

Regarding Mister Ernie Watts, he's a great jazz man and session guy. He and Charlie W would probably be cool together in a jazz project. Here's a taste or few of Ernie.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 22, 2015 03:29

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
2120Wolf

That's a neat story if it's true, but is there documentation (audio/video/etc.) of Keith Moon telling this tale, or any other source? Sounds neat!

From all accounts Mr. Moon has taken this story into another realm with him...

Date: April 22, 2015 03:30

jazzbass
great story bro

Good to hear that you enjoyed this JazzBass !!!

Date: April 22, 2015 03:33

dmay
Love the story of Mick and Ernie. The mis-spellings and misuse of words give it another whole dimension, but this is part of it's being fun to read.

Regarding Mister Ernie Watts, he's a great jazz man and session guy. He and Charlie W would probably be cool together in a jazz project. Here's a taste or few of Ernie.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Not to mention the 13 Feet of Snow...in London ???

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 22, 2015 04:05

Ahh, yes, I remember that storm well. Me and the missus send the little ones out to clear a path through the snow to the street. They got all bundled up, took their little snow shovels and scooted out the front door. As we closed the door behind them we could hear the sound of what seemed to be a saxophone playing somewhere far off. Unknown to us, the little ones went off to find the source of that sound. The last we heard they were traveling from town to town, festival to festival, in search of the lost chord and that far off saxophone playing through the storm. Mick sent us a card, saying it might be little Ernie that they heard, but the @#$%& never did reply to our reply. So, the missus and I came to reconcile ourselves to the disappearance of our little ones to the pied piper's call. We summed it all up by realizing they had discovered what we did in our youth - drugs and sex and rock'n'roll - and heeded that devil music's call.

Posted by: LetsWork ()
Date: April 22, 2015 04:12

He had a brother named David that was good at everything. He went to school with Ray Davies. He later had an operation and changed his name to Lola.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 22, 2015 05:41

great story about Moon looking down (or up) on a wintery london from the afterlife

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 22, 2015 08:18

And now, a year after having toured with the Stones, Heeeeeere's Ernie!

Oh yes, and also, does anyone remember this U.S. TV show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 08:22 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 22, 2015 11:31

BY his own account he hated touring with the Stones in 81, and declined for the 82 tour.

Mathijs

Date: April 22, 2015 11:47

iMO he was a lousy addition to their sound. No sense of editing himself.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 22, 2015 12:01

Palace Revolution 2000
iMO he was a lousy addition to their sound. No sense of editing himself.

The Hampton show indeed would have gained by a bit less saxophone.
Is noodling an apt description for some of his additions to songs where no saxophone
was needed?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 22, 2015 12:57

Oh no, how wrong! thanks to Ernie Watts the guitars could really take off in 1981. He kept the whole thing together with his long meandering stitches.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: April 22, 2015 13:20

I loved Ernie's contributions, even though it could be a bit too much at times.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 22, 2015 13:29

Mathijs
BY his own account he hated touring with the Stones in 81, and declined for the 82 tour.

Mathijs
who was on sax for the europe 82 tour? or was it all Bobby?

Date: April 22, 2015 14:09

TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs
who was on sax for the europe 82 tour? or was it all Bobby?

Gene Barge and Bobby.

Date: April 22, 2015 14:59

I find Ernie Watts just utterly fantastic on the 81 tour. He really added a melodic sense to the tracks he played on, enabling the band to really extend and reach further than they ever been. And I love his sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 15:02

Why did Ernie hate touring with the boys in '81?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 22, 2015 15:33

Mathijs
I find Ernie Watts just utterly fantastic on the 81 tour. He really added a melodic sense to the tracks he played on, enabling the band to really extend and reach further than they ever been. And I love his sound.

Mathijs

I don't know about the reaching further and extending stuff ,sounds like music critic rambling, but to me Watts sounded great with the Stones in 81. Loved his contributions and there was not a lot to love in 81.

Date: April 22, 2015 15:38

stanlove
Mathijs

Mathijs

I don't know about the reaching further and extending stuff ,sounds like music critic rambling, but to me Watts sounded great with the Stones in 81. Loved his contributions and there was not a lot to love in 81.

What?

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:23

DandelionPowderman
stanlove
Mathijs

Mathijs

What?

There was nothing that was not to love in 1981. Or maybe that it - like all good thing - ended.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: April 22, 2015 16:36

stanlove

I don't know about the reaching further and extending stuff ,sounds like music critic rambling,

First and last time they played 10 minute versions of Let Me Go, Imagination, BoB, WOAF, LIB etc.

LIsten to the band jamming on Imagination from Hampton -even Bill Wyman starts freewheeling!

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 16:41 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

I concur. Maybe he was even too great for them? His marvellous playing kind of stole some spotlight from the guitar duo. Not to everyone's liking it seems...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home